PDA

View Full Version : The megachurch

goRPaul
10-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Saturday night, a buddy and I put up signs around the megachurch in the north part of town. We were talking about it today, and we were thinking that next sunday we should show up to the megachurch and hand out slim jims and invite the church-goers to watch the debate with us because we've organized a debate party downtown.

Is this a good idea? Will the authorities of the church, who took some but not all of our Ron Paul signs down, ask us to leave? I haven't gone to church in years, so I'd appreciate some input, thanks.

Bob Cochran
10-15-2007, 04:08 PM
It's impossible to know the answer to your question, not knowing anyone at that church. And you don't even say which church...

jjockers
Of course it's a good idea. What church wouldn't want to hear about the second coming? :P

kidding, of course.

shadowhooch
Saturday night, a buddy and I put up signs around the megachurch in the north part of town. We were talking about it today, and we were thinking that next sunday we should show up to the megachurch and hand out slim jims and invite the church-goers to watch the debate with us because we've organized a debate party downtown.

Is this a good idea? Will the authorities of the church, who took some but not all of our Ron Paul signs down, ask us to leave? I haven't gone to church in years, so I'd appreciate some input, thanks.

Personally, I hate most of the debates and they aren't a good showing for Ron Paul many times because of:

1) Lack of time to speak
2) Leading questions

Especially the last Fox debate where the moderators tried their hardest to paint RP as fringe.

Give them materials (flyers, CDs, DVDs). They work better. Just my thoughts on the matter.

sedele
10-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Personally, I hate most of the debates and they aren't a good showing for Ron Paul many times because of:

1) Lack of time to speak
2) Leading questions

Especially the last Fox debate where the moderators tried their hardest to paint RP as fringe.

Give them materials (flyers, CDs, DVDs). They work better. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Indeed

Ozwest
10-15-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm an Athiest, but I wouldn't put up signs at a place of worship. How do you feel when a Mormon knocks on your door Sunday morning?Subtledy would work.

goRPaul
10-15-2007, 04:13 PM
My real concern is how long is it until we're kicked out. If we could last for close to an hour, passing out slim jims and engaging in conversations with these people, discuss Ron Paul's faith etc., that'll be worth it. But if we're there for five minutes and asked to leave, I'm more inclined to save my time and gas money.

Bob Cochran
10-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Actually, now that I think about it...churches cannot be seen as promoting political candidates if they are to retain their tax expempt status. I'm pretty sure about this.

As long as you're not putting promotional material on church property and are within city code, I don't know what the problem would be.

Handing out materials on church grounds, I have no idea.

ForTheRepublic
10-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Should be ok if it is not on their property and your not breaking any other laws. The problem with the corporate churches is that are not suppose to be(they have agreed not to) endorse a particular candidate or speak out on public policy. But that shouldn't stop you from being able to hand things out or post things outside of their property.

Taco John
10-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Here's what you do... Go to RonPaulAudio.com and you download the August 30th Endtime Ministries Radio Interview. It's 21 minutes long, so there will be space on the CD for another one. I'd recommend the August 9th Demoinse HQ speech. Burn these on a CD, and put it in a sleeve. Distribute it along with a Slim Jim on every car windshield in the parking lot.

Also, don't put the signs on the Church property... They'll just take them down. Put them across from the street where they exit the parking lot. There's a lot of congestion at these locations and opportunity for people to see the signs.

Tratzman
10-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Does one have to ask permission to put slim jims on car windshields or can we just do it?

RP4ME
10-15-2007, 04:34 PM
you can put slimjims , a sttemnet of fith on cars while at service and a promo for your party with directions...Id do it.....until they say no nd then just repsect their wishes...ca n you place signs on their way out, not on the church grounds so that they will see it s they drive out?

goRPaul
10-15-2007, 04:48 PM
I like the car idea. That's a great alternative just in case we are kicked out. I really hope we aren't though, I'd love to be able to talk to these people and see first hand what's important to them. Abortion can't possibly be their only issue, but Ron is by far the best equipped to handle that issue (I was a big pro-choicer until I listened to Ron on the issue). I wanna know if they support the war or not, and by how much.

One thing's for sure, they don't like Rudy. I expect some of them to really like Huckabee, but I think they'd like Ron a whole lot more.

ForTheRepublic
10-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Here's what you do... Go to RonPaulAudio.com and you download the August 30th Endtime Ministries Radio Interview. It's 21 minutes long, so there will be space on the CD for another one. I'd recommend the August 9th Demoinse HQ speech. Burn these on a CD, and put it in a sleeve. Distribute it along with a Slim Jim on every car windshield in the parking lot.

Also, don't put the signs on the Church property... They'll just take them down. Put them across from the street where they exit the parking lot. There's a lot of congestion at these locations and opportunity for people to see the signs.

That sounds like a great Idea. You should make a sticky on getting out the word to Christians. I think that interview would be a very powerful way. Although you have to be careful you might get in some trouble if the parking lot is church property. At your own risk I guess. Most churches are forgiving. At least you would hope so. So you might have some room to work there.

Corydoras
10-15-2007, 08:50 PM
At a big church in my neighborhood, activists get around the problem by standing in front of the church AT THE END OF THE SERVICE and handing out flyers to churchgoers AS THEY'RE LEAVING. They don't get a whole lot of takers, but they do get some. So find out what time the service ends.

Matt Collins
10-15-2007, 09:48 PM
I would say your best bet is to run off a bunch of copies of the RP statement of faith, and flyer all of the cars.