PDA

View Full Version : Police and sport stadiums?

LibForestPaul
07-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Lots of videos around with people being tazed and such in sports stadiums.

who owns the actual stadiums (is it run by cities)?
who pays for the police at the stadiums?

don't care all that much about the tazing. Just wonder who is footing the bill for all of this.

dannno
07-23-2010, 04:11 PM
don't care all that much about the tazing.

Why not? It's a potentially deadly weapon. It should ONLY be used when the use of potentially deadly force would otherwise be used, but where it is more suitable.

Cops need to go back to clubbing people and taking them down physically before using tasers.

John Taylor
07-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Why not? It's a potentially deadly weapon. It should ONLY be used when the use of potentially deadly force would otherwise be used, but where it is more suitable.

Cops need to go back to clubbing people and taking them down physically before using tasers.

Yeah, because beating someone on the head with a nightstick is far better than tasing them.

Kludge
07-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Cities often pay for private teamsī stadiums given that the visitors will spend enough to make the "investment" worthwhile. I imagine the city also foots the bill for the police, given how dangerous sports fanatics have proven themselves.

malkusm
07-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Lots of videos around with people being tazed and such in sports stadiums.

who owns the actual stadiums (is it run by cities)?
who pays for the police at the stadiums?

don't care all that much about the tazing. Just wonder who is footing the bill for all of this.

Varies from city to city. Most newer stadiums are financed mostly via taxes and partially by the team owner (say, maybe an 80/20 split). The city owns most of the stadiums today as far as I know.

Not sure if the teams have to pay for police detail or if it's a service provided by the city pro bono (via the taxpayer).

John Taylor
07-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Cities often pay for private teamsī stadiums given that the visitors will spend enough to make the "investment" worthwhile. I imagine the city also foots the bill for the police, given how dangerous sports fanatics have proven themselves.

Privatize them all. Let them provide their own security, and set the rules "for engagement" with unruly fans!