PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin candidate can't use controversial description

nelsonwinters
07-23-2010, 02:30 PM
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jul/23/legislative-candidate-wisconsin-cant-use-profane-r/news-breaking/

Ieshuh Griffin, an independent running for a downtown Milwaukee seat in the state Assembly, wants to use the phrase, "NOT the 'whiteman's b----.'"

But the state's Government Accountability Board voted to bar that wording, agreeing with a staff recommendation that it is pejorative and therefore not allowed.

State law allows independent candidates to have five words describing themselves placed after their names on the ballot as long as it's not pejorative, profane, discriminatory or includes an obscene word or phrase.

Griffin, who is black, argued her case to the five white, retired judges on the board that regulates elections. She said the phrase was protected free speech.

NewFederalist
07-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Now THIS is a burning issue!

RokiLothbard
07-23-2010, 03:22 PM
I think they should ban (D) and (R) descriptors. If you don't know who the hell you want to vote for before you go into the booth, the government shouldn't be helping out these extra-governmental clubs keep control of everything.

torchbearer
07-23-2010, 03:40 PM
I think they should ban (D) and (R) descriptors. If you don't know who the hell you want to vote for before you go into the booth, the government shouldn't be helping out these extra-governmental clubs keep control of everything.

the extra-governmental clubs run the government and create rules to keep out competition.
i think they should let they guy run with any slogan he wants, let's me know who are racist.