PDA

View Full Version : CANADA abandons mandatory long form census as intrusive 'at behest of Ron Paul wing'

sailingaway
07-23-2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStoriesV2/20100721/stats_can_resign_100721/

Well, it is nice to know at least SOME are listening about personal privacy vs commercial convenience.

cswake
07-23-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm curious what the long-term international ramifications of Ron Paul's influence will be...

someperson
07-23-2010, 06:09 PM
wow I had no idea that these ideas had permeated to such an extent in Canada

dannno
07-23-2010, 06:12 PM
That's fucking amazing.

Cowlesy
07-23-2010, 06:15 PM
That's fucking amazing.

yup

james1906
07-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Riding this wave, the Parliament in Ottawa changed the name of the 'poutine' in the cafeteria to 'Paultine"

Renaud Paul 2012!

JK/SEA
07-23-2010, 06:23 PM
New Democrat MP Charlie Angus was more colourful, stating that the Tories had scrapped the mandatory long-form census "strictly out of partisan reasons to appease the Ron Paul, Tea Party base."

haha...........amazing is right....

nate895
07-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Can you really call Canada its own country when they take just about everything from us? Even their politics is apparently built off of ours.

james1906
07-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Can you really call Canada its own country when they take just about everything from us? Even their politics is apparently built off of ours.

They're piggybacking England's monarch.

DirtMcGirt
07-23-2010, 06:59 PM
That's fucking amazing.

+1

I had to re-read the sentence 3x in the article...

TXcarlosTX
07-23-2010, 07:13 PM
ha!! I wouldnt doubt if their is a Paul Party in 50-75 years. Named after the Ron Paul. ha

RileyE104
07-23-2010, 07:31 PM
ha!! I wouldnt doubt if their is a Paul Party in 50-75 years. Named after the Ron Paul. ha

Hmmm... If we successfully convert the Republicans, the Grand Old Party could certainly be adjusted to the Grand Old Paul-Party... :)

JK/SEA
07-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Hmmm... If we successfully convert the Republicans, the Grand Old Party could certainly be adjusted to the Grand Old Paul-Party... :)

Any reason 'we' can't use that?...Grand Old Paul Party...co-opted the GOP...i like it. Will start using it.

AmericaFyeah92
07-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Let's all move to Canada. Just this members of this forum could probably take pver the country in a week

t0rnado
07-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Any reason 'we' can't use that?...Grand Old Paul Party...co-opted the GOP...i like it. Will start using it.

Grand Old Paul seems a bit better.

I do have a lot of friends in Canada, specifically Quebec that are hardcore supporters of Ron Paul. This doesn't surprise me in the least bit. Libertarians are generally intelligent and vocal, so wherever they are, they'll stir something up.

Bergie Bergeron
07-23-2010, 08:40 PM
It's the Prime Minister's decision, the media (90% of them are very liberal) is pretty much pulling their hair out because of this.

low preference guy
07-23-2010, 08:42 PM
It's the Prime Minister's decision, the media (90% of them are very liberal) is pretty much pulling their hair out because of this.

Maybe it shouldn't be this way.... but if still surprises me the massive amount of people that love coercion and violence.

BuddyRey
07-23-2010, 08:43 PM

I think Canada's a pretty cool place, but I do always crack up a bit when I think of that classic Homer Simpson line, "why would I want to leave America just to visit America Jr.?" :D

Bergie Bergeron
07-23-2010, 08:46 PM
If you think MSNBC is Liberal, don't watch TV in Canada :D Especially on the East Coast. Someone is trying to start a Fox News Canada (not the same name but same format and everything), the media is going apeshit crazy.

nobody's_hero
07-23-2010, 08:54 PM

Well, I think we're about to get their healthcare ideas. . .

Golding
07-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Can you really call Canada its own country when they take just about everything from us? Even their politics is apparently built off of ours.Now if only our own country could listen to Ron Paul as much as Canada apparently does.

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Riding this wave, the Parliament in Ottawa changed the name of the 'poutine' in the cafeteria to 'Paultine"

Renaud Paul 2012!

you are on a roll today...

someperson
07-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Now if only our own country could listen to Ron Paul as much as Canada apparently does.
lol :) :(

Cdn_for_liberty
07-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Finally Ron Paul's name is mentioned in the Canadian MSM!

I hope we can get Ron Paul on CBC's "The Hour" sometime in the future. Sarah Palin, JImmy Carter and Peter Schiff had been on the show before btw.

Imperial
07-24-2010, 01:45 AM
wow I had no idea that these ideas had permeated to such an extent in Canada

No, they haven't. (http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/census/article/839487--walkom-the-census-kerfuffle-isn-t-about-the-census-it-s-about-stephen-harper) This is just Harper trying to play up his libertarian bonafides.

Industry Minister Tony Clement says he’s axing the mandatory questionnaire because the state has no right to demand intrusive information, such as the number of bedrooms in a home.

Yet his is the same government that requires airlines to collect and hand over detailed personal information on everyone who flies – and then give much of it to a foreign state.

It’s also the government that last month transformed downtown Toronto into an armed camp, where police arbitrarily stopped and searched people going about their lawful business and then—equally arbitrarily—arrested and jailed scores more.

Until forced by the courts last year, Harper’s “non-intrusive” government used all of its power to keep Canadian citizen Abousfian Abdelrazik from returning to Canada.

Once Abdelrazik (who has been charged with no crime in any country) did return, this government intruded into his life to deny him the most basic rights: to work, to earn an income, to open a bank account.

So no. The Harper government is not libertarian. It has used the full muscle of the state to walk over the civil and constitutional rights of those it purports to represent.

Oh, and don't forget that the Harper government recently allowed the US to extradite Marc Emery.

someperson
07-24-2010, 01:48 AM
No, they haven't.
lol politics will be politics, I guess ;)

Rede
07-24-2010, 01:52 AM
We also have our own upstart Libertarian, sometimes mentioned as a potential Conservative leadership candidate, Maxime Bernier. I'd probably even join the Conservative Party if this guy were to become the leader.

On Monetary Policy:

The key, Mr. Bernier said, is a stable money supply.

"I believe that within a few years, we will need to hold a serious debate about returning to the gold standard."

http://www.nationalpost.com/Bernier+breaking+economic+mould/3129528/story.htm

On the Census:

Fundamentally, my position is that whatever the presumed usefulness of these data, I don’t believe it justifies forcing people to answer intrusive questions about their lives, under threat from a 500$ fine or three months in jail if they don’t.

http://www.maximebernier.com/en/2010/07/recensement-a-la-defense-des-citoyens-ordinaires/

More:
http://www.maximebernier.com/en/

specialK
09-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Ron Paul is loved by Canadians.

specialK
09-18-2010, 08:05 PM
We also have our own upstart Libertarian, sometimes mentioned as a potential Conservative leadership candidate, Maxime Bernier. I'd probably even join the Conservative Party if this guy were to become the leader.

Me too, but he best be a little more careful about his bedtime buddies, leaving top secret docs at her house? Her alleged past connection to Hell's Angels. Yikes.

http://jamiemalanowski.com/blogwp/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/maxime-bernier456.jpg

jabf2006
09-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Canada would be a police state if Harper had his way.

I didn't realize Bernier had gone on record in regard to the gold standard. All I knew about him was the scandal.

If he's talking about the gold standard, he will never lead the conservatives, unfortunately.

silus
09-18-2010, 08:42 PM
In France the government cannot ask about your race or religion.

Jace
09-18-2010, 08:46 PM

specialK
09-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Canada is statist police state always on the verge of break up, martial law and imprisonment without trial. Canada was a country founded on anti-Americanism, pro-imperialism and a love of monarchist authoritarianism and aristocratic privilege. Canada is fascism with a smiley face.

Prior to 1982, perhaps. FLQ crisis happened prior to The Constitution Act of 1982 which includes the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/).

Jace
09-18-2010, 10:23 PM

specialK
09-18-2010, 10:39 PM
That's nice. So is David Frum and a ton of other shills. Where is the news here?

Vessol
09-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Ron Paul has more influence in Canadian policies than Americas? WTF

jabf2006
09-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Prior to 1982, perhaps. FLQ crisis happened prior to The Constitution Act of 1982 which includes the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/).

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms gives lip service to our inherent rights. Our rights, as per this charter, are not absolute and can be infringed on by the government as long as the courts accept the government's purpose as being for the overall good...the general welfare so to speak. As well, as per section 33 of our constitution, a government can enact legislation exempted from judicial review.

The whole thing is a big joke.

Jace
09-18-2010, 11:26 PM

specialK
09-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Che Guevarra, Castro, Stalin, yes.

You had some semblance of credibility until you mentioned the above three names.

jabf2006
09-18-2010, 11:45 PM
they would riot in the streets before they gave up their government health care.

Of course some would, but not everyone, that's for sure.

wormyguy
09-18-2010, 11:55 PM
I have a Canadian acquaintance who likes to joke about how they never have any real scandals in Canada; I guess he's right. That guy's girlfriend once was the girlfriend of a Hell's Angels member, and he left some paperwork at her house.