PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul, Jack Conway differ on Farm Subsidies

sailingaway
07-22-2010, 11:51 AM
http://www.fox41.com/Global/story.asp?S=12852992

" Louisville, Ky. (WDRB-TV Fox 41/A.P.) -- U.S. Senate candidates Jack Conway and Rand Paul sparred in Louisville as part of the Kentucky Farm Bureau forum on Thursday. Farm labor, healthcare, and national farm policy are the topics of discussion.

Recently Paul said he would do away with farm subsidies. Conway attacked Paul for the comments. But Paul came back, saying free open markets dwarf anything the government could pay you.

Conway says he wants to increase net farm income. Meanwhile, Paul says he will fight to keep farmers free of overzealous regulation.

Paul said Wednesday he doesn't think his criticism of federal farm subsidies will hurt him in this fall's U.S. Senate election. Paul told reporters Wednesday during a campaign stop in heavily agricultural western Kentucky that he feels an obligation to oppose deficit spending and to raise questions about waste in the subsidy program, which pumped nearly $246 million into the state last year.

"I can't really lie to people about the problems we have," he said. "I think we have enormous debt problems. And I think if you don't address all aspects of the budget and say what can be made smaller, what can we save money on, what can we downsize, if we don't ask that question, then I don't think you're a serious person about balancing the budget.".....

specsaregood
07-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Recently Paul said he would do away with farm subsidies. Conway attacked Paul for the comments. But Paul came back, saying free open markets dwarf anything the government could pay you.

Did he actually say that? I've heard him talk about reducing them and fraud.

Maybe they should have said, "some farm subsidies".?

TheDriver
07-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Did he actually say that? I've heard him talk about reducing them and fraud.

Maybe they should have said, "some farm subsidies".?

The whole premise of the smear comes from the KET debate where he said he didn't think federal subsidies were a good idea and went on to discuss agri-businesses and said he wasn't in favor of giving welfare to business.

YouTube - Rand Paul on Welfare for Farmers -- May 10, 2010.flv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcvTqGAVcpQ)

specsaregood
07-22-2010, 12:23 PM
So, NO he didn't actually say that?

TheDriver
07-22-2010, 12:29 PM
So, NO he didn't actually say that?

Yes you're right, they are trying to draw conclusions that perhaps are true or perhaps are not. But the fact remains, he campaigns on a balanced budget, which means cuts have to be made. Jack and his media cohorts seem to being running wild trying to nail him down on what is he going to cut. And whatever it is.. Jack won't cut it. :rolleyes: