PDA

View Full Version : Shrink Mag: College degrees for parents?

XNavyNuke
07-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Psychology Today: Should Homeschooling Parents Have College Degrees? (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/love-in-time-homeschooling/201007/should-homeschooling-parents-have-college-degrees)

Most states require that homeschooling parents have high school diplomas or GEDs. Only one state, North Dakota, expects the parent-teacher to have a college degree, otherwise a family's homeschooling program must be monitored on a weekly basis by a certified teacher. My state, Virginia, used to include a college diploma as a requirement in its original homeschooling statute, but in 1996 this qualification was lowered to a high school diploma. (See Home Education Magazine for a state-by-state breakdown of regulations.)

Whenever I mention these facts to friends outside the homeschooling world, they tend to be shocked, saying things like : "Are you kidding?...A high school diploma or GED? Some people can get a GED without being able to read."

I admit that I share their skepticism. To me, the idea that parents with GEDs could, if they desired, turn around and teach high school to their children is setting the bar very low. More problematic is the fact that several states have almost no homeschooling regulations, including no specified qualifications for homeschooling parents--not even a basic elementary education.

And as someone in a state with "almost no homeschooling regulations", mind your owned business. There are other areas that might appreciate you do-goody-ness.:rolleyes:

XNN

Seraphim
07-22-2010, 03:25 PM
I've had a subsciption for Psychology Today for about 3 years. In the last 6-8 months I've become growingly disgruntled with some of the BS they've been putting in it. I love the health/food section of the mag but I've read a few articles where I wanted to burn it.