PDA

View Full Version : Shirley Sherrod is offered a new job

YumYum
07-22-2010, 05:15 AM
It's terrible what they put this decent woman through. Rachael Maddow did a great expose on how Fox News started this mess (O'Reilly immediately demanded her resignation).

She showed how on the next day when the truth came out about what she really was trying to say, Fox News criticized the White House for acting so rash, while not accepting any responsibility for the damage that Fox News and all their pundits had done to this innocent woman.

Fired Ag worker mulls job offer after WH apology

By MARY CLARE JALONICK and BEN EVANS, Associated Press Writers Mary Clare Jalonick And Ben Evans, Associated Press Writers

– Wed Jul 21, 7:37 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The White House did a sudden about-face Wednesday and begged for forgiveness from the black Agriculture Department employee whose ouster ignited an embarrassing political firestorm over race. She was offered a "unique opportunity" for a new job and said she was thinking it over.

With lightning speed, the controversy moved from Monday's forced resignation of a minor U.S. Ag official in Georgia to Tuesday's urgent discussions at the White House amid a rising public outcry and then to Wednesday's repeated apologies and pleas for Shirley Sherrod to come back.

Sherrod said she resigned under White House pressure after the airing of a video of racial remarks she made at an NAACP gathering. But Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said repeatedly on Wednesday that the decision had been his alone.

"I asked for Shirley's forgiveness and she was gracious enough to extend it to me," he said after reaching her by telephone.

Sherrod, in a phone interview with The Associated Press, said, "They did make an offer. I just told him I need to think about it."

The controversy threatened to grow into more than a three-day distraction for Obama's administration, with important midterm congressional elections nearing and partisan feelings already running high. President Barack Obama said nothing publicly about the developments while administration officials tried to simultaneously show his concern and to distance him from the original ousting.

It all began with the airing of a video on a conservative website of Sherrod's remarks about not doing all she could to help a white farmer two decades ago. After she was told to resign — with the NAACP declaring its approval — the situation grew more complicated when the rest of the edited video was released by the NAACP and Sherrod insisted her remarks were about reconciliation, not the stoking of racism.

By Wednesday afternoon, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs was apologizing to Sherrod "for the entire administration" and saying that officials did not know all the facts when she was fired. He said he didn't know if the president would talk to Sherrod himself.

read more...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100721/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_usda_racism_resignation

bobbyw24
07-22-2010, 05:25 AM
House Minority Leader John Boehner on Wednesday criticized the decision by conservative media personality Andrew Breitbart to air only a small portion of the video showing USDA official Shirley Sherrod making racially charged remarks earlier this year, which led to her firing.

“It’s unfortunate that whoever laid this out there didn’t lay out the whole story, as opposed to a part of it,” said Boehner, an Ohio Republican, at a lunch with journalists in Washington.

“They only put a little piece of the story out there and people make judgments and they rush and they make bad decisions. They make rash decisions. I don’t want to say bad because I haven’t seen all of this,” he said.

Boehner did not mention Breitbart by name, and Breitbart did not immediately return a call to his cell phone. But the founder of BigGovernment.com has said in TV interviews with CNN and Fox News that he was sent only the two small portions of the video by someone in Georgia, where the remarks were made. He told CNN he did subsequently receive the full portion of the tape and would post it online “if I get the OK from the people who have the rights to the video.”

The White House, interestingly, focused its public comments on the response to the videos rather than on the purveyor.

“Members of this administration, members of the media, members of different political factions on both sides of this, have all made determinations and judgments without a full set of facts,” said White House press secretary Robert Gibbs.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/07/21/gop-house-leader-criticizes-decision-to-air-partial-video-of-shirley-sherrod/#ixzz0uPSgI81i

Cowlesy
07-22-2010, 05:37 AM
If Maddow is trying to pin this on O'Reilly, then she is propagating a falsehood. Sherrod had resigned before O'Reilly even aired. O'Reilly pre-tapes between approximately 5:30-7:00pm. In fact, when O'Reilly called for Sherrod's resignation, Fox News had to run a banner across the bottom of the screen indicating she had already resigned, and O'Reilly's show was already dated because it was taped.

This is all on Andrew Breitbart.

YumYum
07-22-2010, 05:49 AM
If Maddow is trying to pin this on O'Reilly, then she is propagating a falsehood. Sherrod had resigned before O'Reilly even aired. O'Reilly pre-tapes between approximately 5:30-7:00pm. In fact, when O'Reilly called for Sherrod's resignation, Fox News had to run a banner across the bottom of the screen indicating she had already resigned, and O'Reilly's show was already dated because it was taped.

I don't think that the majority of Americans know who Andrew Breitbart is. Fox News was the first major cable news outlet to break the news.

What Maddow was showing was the hypocrisy of Fox News. At first, Fox News called for this woman's resignation and criticized the White House for allowing this woman to keep her job, and then the next day Fox News criticized the White House for firing the woman without first having all the facts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/21/rachel-maddow-white-house_n_654134.html

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-22-2010, 05:57 AM
My recommendation is to fire everyone at the USDA because the USDA is a plague on the market, on wealth, and on businesses. So I say fire' em all! :p

YumYum
07-22-2010, 06:09 AM
My recommendation is to fire everyone at the USDA because the USDA is a plague on the market, on wealth, and on businesses. So I say fire' em all! :p

Not until I can get my farm loan from them at 0% interest!:D

silus
07-22-2010, 08:13 AM
A shit load of people here were jumping on the bandwagon when this story came out. Where are they now? A lot of people on RonPaulforums owe this woman an apology.

YumYum
07-22-2010, 08:48 AM
A shit load of people here were jumping on the bandwagon when this story came out. Where are they now? A lot of people on RonPaulforums owe this woman an apology.

I too am guilty, not in this specif incident, but in other cases of having my button pushed by the main stream media before having all the facts. Every media outlet has a bias, even the indies. That is what was so extra kool about this forum. Something would be in the underground news that was bogus (I'm not even talking about the mainstream media, I'm talking about some the forum member's favorite blogs) and this forum would have it dissected and exposed for being bullshit by the end of the day.

One of my favorites was when Black Terrel smelled a rat on Drudge about the private company that was going to buy a jail in Montana and you guys exposed it before the mainstream media did for being a big fraudulent hoax.

We weren't so quick to jump to conclusions back then.

jmdrake
07-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah. We do sometimes police our own, but we do have our own double standards. When Rand threw a member of his own campaign under the bus over bogus racism charges nobody was like "How terrible that he didn't fully investigate this". And I understand the difference. The NAACP isn't in political race. But I fully appreciate the catch 22 they were put in. React slowly and you're accused of tolerating bigotry. React too quickly, and if it turns out you were wrong you're accused of putting your institutional interests above the people you claim to serve. It's a lose - lose proposition. The only thing that's "just" about what happened is that it gave the left an example of the dangers of randomly throwing out charges of racism without fully knowing the facts. Rather than using this as a chance to "demonize" the NAACP (which has done its share of stupid things and then some), this should become a "teachable moment". In fact I think I'll use it the next time someone comes to me with some "How can you support the Pauls when they are associated with those racist tea partiers".

Romulus
07-22-2010, 12:51 PM
I think that her stepping down admitted some guilt (even if there was none) on her part.

She should have stuck to her guns..

What a huge cluster on everyones part.

The good: That what was highlighted is correct. It is not a left/right black/white issue... its up vs down.

Hopefully more people will catch onto that.

michaelwise
07-22-2010, 12:53 PM
What Are the Race Baiters Trying to Prevent? More Race Crimes?

How would more race crimes be possible? We have many laws on the books making race crimes illegal. What are we going to do, repeal the race crime laws? What is the possibility of that happening? Zero percent?

The race baiting card is the only thing the administration has left. I wouldn't be surprised if the firing of that woman was planned to get more race baiting in the news to distract from the real issues.

I don't believe there is more racism in America. I believe there is less and less. There are no police reports to prove out more racism.

Where are the police reports of burning crosses on lawns and lynchings in America? There are none. They are making a huge issue out of nothing to waste TV news time on talking about a human interest story, a non issue.

Human interest stories have no direct affect on you. They are a complete distraction. Human interest stories are designed to destroy you.

YumYum
07-22-2010, 01:07 PM
What Are the Race Baiters Trying to Prevent? More Race Crimes?

How would more race crimes be possible? We have many laws on the books making race crimes illegal. What are we going to do, repeal the race crime laws? What is the possibility of that happening? Zero percent?

The race baiting card is the only thing the administration has left. I wouldn't be surprised if the firing of that woman was planned to get more race baiting in the news to distract from the real issues.

I don't believe there is more racism in America. I believe there is less and less. There are no police reports to prove out more racism.

Where are the police reports of burning crosses on lawns and lynchings in America? There are none. They are making a huge issue out of nothing to waste TV news time on talking about a human interest story, a non issue.

Human interest stories have no direct affect on you. They are a complete distraction. Human interest stories are designed to destroy you.

At the Tea Parties there are photos of Obama as a cannibal witch doctor with bones through his nose. There is a video of a woman carrying a monkey that represents Obama. Comparing a black person to an Unga Bunga from Africa or a monkey is racist.

Besides, Shirely Sherrod has nothing to do with the race baiters. She is an innocent victim of the actions on both sides.

Valli6
07-22-2010, 01:11 PM
I've been following the way this story has played out since Breitbart first posted the video on Monday morning and the spinning hasn't stopped yet! I am NOT a fan of FOX news or Breitbart (I don't recall him ever saying anything kind about Ron Paul during the campaign), but think again - they are ALL still pressing buttons!

The original video is not spliced together - it's simply a 2 minute excerpt from a 40 minute speech. In fact, the original snippet DOES includes the part where Sherrod says:
"That is when it was revealed to me that it was about poor versus those who have, and not so much about white - it IS about white and black, but it's no, you know it opened my eyes. Because I took him to one of his own"
See this at 1:43 YouTube - NAACP Bigotry in their ranks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_xCeItxbQY#t=1m43s)

The full video gives Sherrod a chance to explain how her life's experience and her father's murder by a white man, affected her perception of whites and makes her feelings completely understandable. Does this prove this women is not a racist? I think it proves she now strives not to be, but her unexplained claims that "he wanted to show he was superior to me", and her use of the phrase "one of his own" and "it IS about white and black" indicates she hasn't been 100% successful - So? She's human. Still, the approval from the audience at certain parts of the speech (before her eyes were opened) betray an "us against them" attitude which bothers me. In his original statement, Ben Jealous referred to this also - now it doesn't matter because "it's FOX's fault."

I find it ridiculous that many are claiming this is all FOX's Fault - or even Breitbart's! I clicked all around the TV "newz" channels throughout Monday and this story never aired on any of them including FOX! (Granted, I'm never able to stay on any one for very long). Finally, towards the end of his show O'reilly spoke of it briefly - literally for about a minute, and said they would have to fire her. There was no panel of pundits screaming about it, no back to back coverage, or repetitive airing of the video (as I had expected)! It turns out, she was never mentioned on Glenn Beck that day, although she was told this would be happening. I understand that, following o'Reily's show Hannity spoke of it, and some women talked about it. I didn't see this so don't know how they covered it. By Tuesday afternoon FOX was defending Sherrod. Oddly, on Wednesday Shepard Smith was stating he hadn't aired the story because "we" know Breitbart is an "unreliable" source. To prove this, he played - believe it or not! - an EDITED clip of Breitbart's clip! He showed a clip without the whole, "that's when it was revealed to me… it opened my eyes…" part, and claimed THIS is what Breitbart posted! (FALSE!) Then he said, "but here's what he left out!" and then played the "That's when it was revealed to me… etc." part! :eek:? Apparently Shepard Smith dislikes breitbart, or was told to discredit him and create more distance between Breitbart and FOX.

The Whitehouse and the NAACP have long expressed that they don't consider FOX a real news source, so how can they claim that a story on FOX influenced them in their treatment of this woman? It's childish for the NAACP to claim FOX made them do what they did! I'm guessing the Whitehouse was in contact with the NAACP and may have made their decision based on input from them! (Come'on, just last week Michelle was rallying the NAACP against the "racists".)

Breitbart clearly stated that he was playing a "race card" with this story as evidenced by the picture of a card with the word "RACE" on it, where he posted it!
http:// biggovernment .com/abreitbart/2010/07/19/video-proof-the-naacp-awards-racism2010/
He also made clear that it was a response to the "race card" played by the NAACP last week. Get it? He's playing "the game"! He put the card down, just like the progressives have done so many times before, and sat back. The media waited to see how the hand would be played out before responding. The NAACP responded by condemning her. The Whitehouse responded by firing her. Everyone jumped to "prove" they weren't the racist one! No one digged deeper - They never have before, have they?!

Maybe some of the players will learn how perverse it is to constantly make accusations of racism. I saw Sherrod's first interview on CNN and at that time, she stated that this all happened because the NAACP "had a fight with the tea party". She seemed to mostly blame the NAACP. I also see the NAACP as largely responsible here. As always, they were worried about winning "the game" and not the human who's life was being affected by it. It would be nice now, if Sherrod would stand up for others that've been accused of racism without evidence.

michaelwise
07-22-2010, 01:12 PM
At the Tea Parties there are photos of Obama as a cannibal witch doctor with bones through his nose. There is a video of a woman carrying a monkey that represents Obama. Comparing a black person to an Unga Bunga from Africa or a monkey is racist.

Besides, Shirely Sherrod has nothing to do with the race baiters. She is an innocent victim of the actions on both sides.I wouldn't insult witch doctors and monkeys like that. Africans, monkeys, and witch doctors are not racist symbols.

Romulus
07-22-2010, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't insult witch doctors and monkeys like that. Africans, monkeys, and witch doctors are not racist symbols.
In our popular culture they are. They have been adopted as such. Liberty folks ought to be better than that, to use or claim innocence about symbols who's juxtaposition are widely adopted as a smear.

BTW, YumYum, I would have to see images of folks at Tea Party's using that... I've only seen Obama/hitler mustache and the Joker Obama.. nothing to sort of what you mentioned.

michaelwise
07-22-2010, 01:28 PM
In our popular culture they are. They have been adopted as such. Liberty folks ought to be better than that, to use or claim innocence about symbols who's juxtaposition are widely adopted as a smear.

The lets un-adopt them taking away the ammunition. I like monkeys, witch doctors, and Africans. So does National Geographic.

jmdrake
07-22-2010, 01:29 PM

BTW, YumYum, I would have to see images of folks at Tea Party's using that... I've only seen Obama/hitler mustache and the Joker Obama.. nothing to sort of what you mentioned.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yasDDDHAHvQ/SrKpFuXAPsI/AAAAAAAAJEc/BrBB5oQNFcA/s320/art.obama.protest.sign.cnn.jpg

jmdrake
07-22-2010, 01:37 PM
@ Valli6: Is it possible, just possible, that the farmer in question might have carried on in a way that Ms. Sherrod justifiably misinterpreted as "acting superior"? After all, he was someone who was probably upset and frustrated at the prospect of losing his farm and all of the red tape he had to cut through. And some of that frustration may have come through. Based on Ms. Sherrod's past experiences with racism she could have misread that. That's one of the reasons the race issue becomes so sticking. Most blacks (my age at least) can point to specific instances in their lives where they definitely experienced racism. (For me it was being a quiet black kid in a majority white high school and hearing white people say racist things when they forgot I was around only to apologize profusely once the realized what they'd done.) And I'm sure most white people can point to at least one time when they've been wrongly accused of being racist either through mistake or malice. Neither side is willing to acknowledge the legitimate hurt of the other side and so there's never any healing. At least that's the way I see it.

Koz
07-22-2010, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=Romulus;2804753]I think that her stepping down admitted some guilt (even if there was none) on her part.

QUOTE]

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner! I'm sure she's flabberghasted that one of 'her kind' would throw her under the bus. If whe wasn't guilty of something she would not have resigned.

If my boss called me and told me to resign on the phone because Fox was doing a story about me I would tell them to shove it up thier asses. You'll have to fire me.

jmdrake
07-22-2010, 01:51 PM
DING! DING! DING! We have a winner! I'm sure she's flabberghasted that one of 'her kind' would throw her under the bus. If whe wasn't guilty of something she would not have resigned.

If my boss called me and told me to resign on the phone because Fox was doing a story about me I would tell them to shove it up thier asses. You'll have to fire me.

As I pointed out earlier in the thread, one of Rand's campaign staff resigned over racism charges. He wasn't racist. I'm personally sure of that. Sometimes people choose to fall on their swords.

Soca Taliban
07-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Besides, Shirely Sherrod has nothing to do with the race baiters. She is an innocent victim of the actions on both sides.This is stupid. So which animal could Obama be compared to that would make the poster non-racist? And would a "black" person carrying the same poster be considered racist? And since when are witch doctors limited to a certain skin tone?

Shirley Sherrod's actions at the time were foolish and she should have been fired from her job then. Did she see the "light"? It may appear so, but who knows.

jmdrake
07-22-2010, 02:07 PM
This is stupid. So which animal could Obama be compared to that would make the poster non-racist? And would a "black" person carrying the same poster be considered racist? And since when are witch doctors limited to a certain skin tone?

Shirley Sherrod's actions at the time were foolish and she should have been fired from her job then. Did she see the "light"? It may appear so, but who knows.

Deciding to ignore what she (wrongly?) perceived to be insults and helping the white farmer save his farm was "foolish"? Regardless of whether it was or not, that has no bearing on what she may or may not have been doing at the AG department a quarter of a century later. I guess the "foolish" thing was thinking she could use a personal story from 25 years before in a conversation on a heated topic like race and not face repercussions. Word to the wise. Next time you have a personal story about transcending race, begin it with saying "I have this friend who told me...."

Valli6
07-22-2010, 02:20 PM
@ Valli6: Is it possible, just possible, that the farmer in question might have carried on in a way that Ms. Sherrod justifiably misinterpreted as "acting superior"? After all, he was someone who was probably upset and frustrated at the prospect of losing his farm and all of the red tape he had to cut through. And some of that frustration may have come through. Based on Ms. Sherrod's past experiences with racism she could have misread that. That's one of the reasons the race issue becomes so sticking.
Yes, absolutely. Worried people can definitely be unpleasant. It stuck out for me, because I can't tell from the statement, just which type of behavior comes off as offensive, so am not sure how to take it - whether it's real or imagined. :confused: Also, I suspect that the majority of the time people can be annoying or obnoxious without race ever playing a role in their thoughts - yet if the 2 people involved are strangers of different races, they are likely to consider that as part of the equation.

Romulus
07-22-2010, 02:31 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yasDDDHAHvQ/SrKpFuXAPsI/AAAAAAAAJEc/BrBB5oQNFcA/s320/art.obama.protest.sign.cnn.jpg

Sorry, but that's either an agent or a big idiot holding that sign. Why else would want to discredit a movement with such obvious imagery to incite race hatred?

Look at it this way.... the "right" setup Sherrod. The WH took the bait exposing themselves and the NAACP did the same....

Where does that leave the black community? Hopefully in OUR corner, against the establishment.

michaelwise
07-22-2010, 02:34 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yasDDDHAHvQ/SrKpFuXAPsI/AAAAAAAAJEc/BrBB5oQNFcA/s320/art.obama.protest.sign.cnn.jpgThe tea parties are not Anti-Africanites. They are not Anti-Mexicanites, They are not Anti-Latinoites. They are not Anti-Semites. They do not spew Anti-Africanism. They do not spew Anti-Mexicanism. They do not spew Anti-Latinoism. They do not spew Anti-Semitism. They do not make Anti-Africanic statements. They do not make Anti-Maxicanic statements. They do not make Anti-Latinoic statements. They do not make Anti-Semitic statements. "Racism" is the term that puts all of this stuff under one roof. Smart people can understand this. They can tell with proof when a specific group is being discriminated against. Most people can't.

The Tea parties promote Constitutional liberty and the rule of law.
Political cartoons are perfectly acceptable bashing a single person or group of people for their destructive ways.
The only obvious racist symbol I know is the KKK robe, because they made it so.

Make a list of racist symbols that are not acceptable so people will know not to use them. Here I'll start you out;

1) KKK Robe.

jmdrake
07-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Sorry, but that's either an agent or a big idiot holding that sign. Why else would want to discredit a movement with such obvious imagery to incite race hatred?

Look at it this way.... the "right" setup Sherrod. The WH took the bait exposing themselves and the NAACP did the same....

Where does that leave the black community? Hopefully in OUR corner, against the establishment.

It could be an agent or an idiot. I don't know. I just googled "Obama, Witch Doctor, Tea Party" knowing in advance that I'd get a hit. Maybe the tea parties will need to self police just like the RP movement did in telling members in advance of rallies "Don't hold up 9/11 was an inside job" signs. (I know that happened locally).

As for how to win over the black community, the only way to do it is to hold up signs like this:

http://pakistaniat.com/images/Bush-Obama-Pakistan.jpg

http://obamaisabitch.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/barack-obama-bush-on-steroids1.jpg

Seriously, the chief complaint from blacks about the tea parties is "They weren't complaining when Bush was violating the constitution". And that's a very valid argument. Yes I know the "real tea parties" started while Bush was president, and I've pointed that out every chance we get. But we (as in the Ron Paul movement) have allowed them to morph into "Bush good - Obama bad" pep rallies. We do that because we don't want to alienate the "teo-cons". Folks on the outside can see right through the hypocrisy.

Soca Taliban
07-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Deciding to ignore what she (wrongly?) perceived to be insults and helping the white farmer save his farm was "foolish"? Regardless of whether it was or not, that has no bearing on what she may or may not have been doing at the AG department a quarter of a century later. I guess the "foolish" thing was thinking she could use a personal story from 25 years before in a conversation on a heated topic like race and not face repercussions. Word to the wise. Next time you have a personal story about transcending race, begin it with saying "I have this friend who told me...."She didn't ignore them, because as she stated, she didn't do ALL that was in her power to do from the jump. Whether or not that made her second efforts all the more difficult is a matter of speculation. I also never stated that her job at USDA should have been in danger.

jmdrake
07-22-2010, 02:53 PM
The tea parties are not Anti-Africanites. They are not Anti-Mexicanites, They are not Anti-Latinoites. They are not Anti-Semites. They do not spew Anti-Africanism. They do not spew Anti-Mexicanism. They do not spew Anti-Latinoism. They do not spew Anti-Semitism. They do not make Anti-Africanic statements. They do not make Anti-Maxicanic statements. They do not make Anti-Latinoic statements. They do not make Anti-Semitic statements. "Racism" is the term that puts all of this stuff under one roof. Smart people can understand this. They can tell with proof when a specific group is being discriminated against. Most people can't.

Political cartoons are perfectly acceptable bashing a single person or group of people for their destructive ways.

Make a list of racist symbols that are not acceptable so people will know not to use them. Here I'll start you out;

1) KKK Robe.

I never said the tea parties were racist. Romulus said he hadn't seen any "Obama witchdoctor" posters so I showed him one. He apparently agrees with YumYum that this is a racially offensive image since he said the person holding the sign had to be an "agent or an idiot". Take it up with them. And of course this shows the fallacy of trying to create such a "list" if even someone who agrees with you that the tea parties aren't racist thinks the Obama - witchdoctor poster is at least "questionable".

Rather than argue over which anti Obama signs are "acceptable", why not carry signs that bash both Obama and Bush? That would be closer to the Ron Paul message. And it would be impossible to call such a sign "racist".

puppetmaster
07-22-2010, 02:56 PM
people get fired all the time for wrong reasons.....blah blah.

jmdrake
07-22-2010, 02:59 PM
She didn't ignore them, because as she stated, she didn't do ALL that was in her power to do from the jump. Whether or not that made her second efforts all the more difficult is a matter of speculation. I also never stated that her job at USDA should have been in danger.

What is not up for "speculation" is that she helped the white farmer keep his farm. She could have given him the complete run around and sent him from one worthless attorney to another. Instead she took him to an attorney that actually gave him some help. The only thing left for speculation what was her motivation for helping him. Was she doing it reluctantly or because she had a change of heart? The first clip suggested the former. The full clip suggested the latter. Also we know from hindsight that the white farmer did keep his farm. That's all he was asking for, so whether she did it with "full force" or "gusto" or whatever, she accomplished her job. Speculating on what should have happened 25 years ago is to venture into the realm of "thought crime".

Romulus
07-22-2010, 03:09 PM
The tea parties are not Anti-Africanites. They are not Anti-Mexicanites, They are not Anti-Latinoites. They are not Anti-Semites. They do not spew Anti-Africanism. They do not spew Anti-Mexicanism. They do not spew Anti-Latinoism. They do not spew Anti-Semitism. They do not make Anti-Africanic statements. They do not make Anti-Maxicanic statements. They do not make Anti-Latinoic statements. They do not make Anti-Semitic statements. "Racism" is the term that puts all of this stuff under one roof. Smart people can understand this. They can tell with proof when a specific group is being discriminated against. Most people can't.

1) KKK Robe.

I know what the tea-parties are.

I am saying if you hold up posters like that, you're going to negate the power of your message, the movement and offend others, whether you think so or not - so dont be surprised when that happens. It's poor taste and its bad tactics. You dont score points with those on the fence by touting offensive imagery, you only give ammo to the opponents.

YumYum
07-22-2010, 04:42 PM
This is stupid. So which animal could Obama be compared to that would make the poster non-racist? And would a "black" person carrying the same poster be considered racist? And since when are witch doctors limited to a certain skin tone?

If you study the history of this country, blacks have been called "apes" and "monkeys". Depicting Obama as a witch doctor with bones stuck in him is degrading to all black people. I have no problem with witchdoctors; I would take a witchdoctor who is an ignorant cannibal anyday over a neocon. But black people find it very offensive. I don't think many white Republicans would have liked it if black Democrats had portrayed Bush as a wannabe porn star with a very small, little pee-pee, which is a stereotype of white males.

Because of education, ignorant racists who feel this way are now the minority. I have been to a Tea Party that was not run by Ron Paul supporters, and I did not see any obvious "racist" there. But the evidence is there that there are people at Tea Party rallies who hate Obama, and have taken it too far by associating him with derogatory racial images.

The best thing a Ron Paul supporter can do is to denounce such behavior.

michaelwise
07-22-2010, 04:44 PM
I know what the tea-parties are.

I am saying if you hold up posters like that, you're going to negate the power of your message, the movement and offend others, whether you think so or not - so dont be surprised when that happens. It's poor taste and its bad tactics. You dont score points with those on the fence by touting offensive imagery, you only give ammo to the opponents.I would prefer people hold up signs that say "Jury Nullification". Thousands of them.

Aratus
07-22-2010, 05:00 PM
rand paul this may had every reason to complain about the way
the media firestorm fed on and magnified up his every word. when
se see something in equal intensity building up from an old speech where
the video clip in full can be appreciated only after the ENTIRE speech is carefully
gone thru, the hasty reaction by the white house has a parallelism to the
way the controversy around rand paul was fanned by jack conway's
people. of course shirley sherrod deserves a profound apology.

The Patriot
07-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Why the fuck would they set up this nobody named sherrod? She is irrelevant, the point was to expose the NAACP as having racist members, which they do. These liberals suggesting a conspiracy to throw out this unknown bureaucrat is absurd. And this seems like a totally fishy story. First, Breitbart only gets part of a clip if a speech from an unnamed source. Hours later, the whole thing comes out from an unnamed source and a few days later CNN has on the white family Sherrod dealt with. If anything, it was a set up of Breitbart, who has one of the most popular sites, by liberals in the media. Considering the fact that they conspired to keep the Jeremiah Wright story under the rug, I wouldn't put it past them to conspire in character assassinations against conservative pundits.

LibForestPaul
07-22-2010, 05:21 PM
What is not up for "speculation" is that she SAID she helped THIS ONE white farmer keep his farm. She SAID she could have given him the complete run around and sent him from one worthless attorney to another. Instead she SAID she took him to an attorney that actually gave him some help.

People are so gullible.

LibForestPaul
07-22-2010, 05:22 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=2799849#post2799849

LOL

I am ecstatic that bureaucrats will now be in charge of individual's health choices. I eagerly await their help in my personal matters.

BoutTreeFiddy
07-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Andrew Breitbart

=

http://weeaboosuomi.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/coolface-skidi.jpg

I still think he is the man for pulling this off though.

Pericles
07-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I think that her stepping down admitted some guilt (even if there was none) on her part.

This is how a successful PSYOP works. You put information out into public space that will get play. The bad interpretation gets credibility because it seems to be in character of the target, although the information is either accurate but incomplete, or not totally accurate. The uproar causes the target of the PSYOP to react, and any reaction will be wrong. This only servers to further destroy the credibility and image of the target of the PSYOP. Well played by Breitbart.

KurtBoyer25L
07-22-2010, 06:08 PM
I feel sorry for anyone who loses a job based on any false premise. But I really do have to agree that there is a horrible double standard at work. First of all, WHAT EXACTLY IS *IN* CONTEXT about smearing Ron or Rand Paul with a one-sentence excerpt from a newsletter published 25 years ago, or a small snippet of conversation about civil rights? Did anyone take them seriously when they pleaded for context and understanding? Out-of-context reporting seems to be a normative standard for mainstream news. Yet it is treated like a scandal when it's convenient to do so.

Second, I agree with Mr. Breitbart that if a white person had made parallel statements to the John Birch Society & were seconded with whoops of approval, the journalist capturing it would be lauded REGARDLESS OF CONTEXT. The rest of the speech would have been considered a lame attempt to "rationalize" or "cover up" the racist content in the beginning. Moreover, nobody would call and apologize to the speech-maker or offer them any job with the White House. He/she would be publicly disgraced.

Soca Taliban
07-22-2010, 06:59 PM
If you study the history of this country, blacks have been called "apes" and "monkeys". Depicting Obama as a witch doctor with bones stuck in him is degrading to all black people. I have no problem with witchdoctors; I would take a witchdoctor who is an ignorant cannibal anyday over a neocon. But black people find it very offensive. I don't think many white Republicans would have liked it if black Democrats had portrayed Bush as a wannabe porn star with a very small, little pee-pee, which is a stereotype of white males.

Because of education, ignorant racists who feel this way are now the minority. I have been to a Tea Party that was not run by Ron Paul supporters, and I did not see any obvious "racist" there. But the evidence is there that there are people at Tea Party rallies who hate Obama, and have taken it too far by associating him with derogatory racial images.

The best thing a Ron Paul supporter can do is to denounce such behavior.

I don't need a history lesson as I'm quite aware of the historical implications and I still believe its stupid. I've seen many cartoons and posters with Bush portrayed as a monkey as well by whites and blacks. Was that racist? Two different men being compared to the same mammal, but one is racist? Please GTFOHWTBS!

And to your next point that its degrading to ALL black people? Nonsense.

silus
07-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Two different men being compared to the same mammal, but one is racist? Please GTFOHWTBS!

You've bought into the same shit millions of Americans have... That we are all equal, and thus double standards should not exist. Ok, let me tell you its a complete farce, for better and for worse. We're not equal as individuals and we are not equal as groups. Equality does not exist.

Flowing from this is the conclusion that you are dead wrong. Two human beings of different races are not "equal," nor are they perceived equally in society, nor is the history behind them equal, nor are the associations related to them equal... The idea of equality stems from the inability of people to control their tendency to generalize and discriminate. But it doesn't address the fact that two things that are not exactly the same are different, and thus not equal.

Speaking specifically about your post, its this fucking simple... Some words are more hurtful to some people (and some groups) than others. The end. I'm sure you have experienced this in your life, so please don't act as if this is a new concept to you.

YumYum
07-22-2010, 11:38 PM
I don't need a history lesson as I'm quite aware of the historical implications and I still believe its stupid. I've seen many cartoons and posters with Bush portrayed as a monkey as well by whites and blacks. Was that racist? Two different men being compared to the same mammal, but one is racist? Please GTFOHWTBS!

Well, I will give you a history lesson. I played basketball for a major University and I have showered with thousands of men. The majority of white men have very small penises compared to black men. That is offensive to many white men, but it is the truth. If the Democrats had portrayed Bush with a little dink (remember, his wife wanted a divorce) many white men would have cried foul.

Soca Taliban
07-23-2010, 12:09 AM
You've bought into the same shit millions of Americans have... That we are all equal, and thus double standards should not exist. Ok, let me tell you its a complete farce, for better and for worse. We're not equal as individuals and we are not equal as groups. Equality does not exist.

Flowing from this is the conclusion that you are dead wrong. Two human beings of different races are not "equal," nor are they perceived equally in society, nor is the history behind them equal, nor are the associations related to them equal... The idea of equality stems from the inability of people to control their tendency to generalize and discriminate. But it doesn't address the fact that two things that are not exactly the same are different, and thus not equal.

Speaking specifically about your post, its this fucking simple... Some words are more hurtful to some people (and some groups) than others. The end. I'm sure you have experienced this in your life, so please don't act as if this is a new concept to you.So now the tune changes. First it was degrading to ALL black people, now its hurtful to some people. Actually its this simple, races don't exist. Secondly, the idea that a neutral mammal can be somehow racist is simplistic thinking.

Soca Taliban
07-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Well, I will give you a history lesson. I played basketball for a major University and I have showered with thousands of men. The majority of white men have very small penises compared to black men. That is offensive to many white men, but it is the truth. If the Democrats had portrayed Bush with a little dink (remember, his wife wanted a divorce) many white men would have cried foul.And your point is exactly what? A white guy in another university could make the same bonehead claim you're making. Does the fact that you go around inspecting men's penises lend any validity to your point?

michaelwise
07-23-2010, 12:17 AM

Speaking specifically about your post, its this fucking simple... Some words are more hurtful to some people (and some groups) than others. The end. I'm sure you have experienced this in your life, so please don't act as if this is a new concept to you.

So list the words and phrases that are supposed to be avoided by the Tea Parties and they will comply with that list. I doubt you are up for the task.

The Patriot
07-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Well, I will give you a history lesson. I played basketball for a major University and I have showered with thousands of men. The majority of white men have very small penises compared to black men. That is offensive to many white men, but it is the truth. If the Democrats had portrayed Bush with a little dink (remember, his wife wanted a divorce) many white men would have cried foul.

So what are you saying, because black people look more like our primate cousins in Africa we cannot call Obama an ape even if it isn't intended to be racial?

someperson
07-23-2010, 01:00 AM
Lindsay Shirley James! Her employment! News at 11. Yeah, this is now gossip... the enquirer wants its thread back ;)

YumYum
07-23-2010, 01:02 AM
And your point is exactly what? A white guy in another university could make the same bonehead claim you're making. Does the fact that you go around inspecting men's penises lend any validity to your point?

Yes! Because millions of white males have very small inky winky dinkies, and yet G-d forgives them! Cannot you forgive black people also?

Look dude, you wanna be racist? Go on ahead. I ain't playin' your game. It is my personal opinion that Ron Paul is against any form of racism, whether it be making fun of a black man by calling him a jawboney ooga booga, or pointing out that most male whites have inky winky dinkies. Take your pick, you lover of Freedom and Liberty!

The Patriot
07-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Yes! Because millions of white males have very small inky winky dinkies, and yet G-d forgives them! Cannot you forgive black people also?

Look dude, you wanna be racist? Go on ahead. I ain't playin' your game. It is my personal opinion that Ron Paul is against any form of racism, whether it be making fun of a black man by calling him a jawboney ooga booga, or pointing out that most male whites have inky winky dinkies. Take your pick, you lover of Freedom and Liberty!

What is racist about saying white men in your experience have smaller penises? Racism=hate towards a race, not making an observation. And calling Obama an ape doesn't make you racist, the context matters.

YumYum
07-23-2010, 01:16 AM
What is racist about saying white men in your experience have smaller penises? Racism=hate towards a race, not making an observation. And calling Obama an ape doesn't make you racist, the context matters.

Well, since you asked; I will answer. You see, most white males have small, teeny tiny dinkies. Bush's wife Laura, wanted a divorce from George W. because his teeny tiny inky winky dinky didn't satisfy her. Now, had the black Democrats made fun of Bush's teeny tiny inky winky dinky, many Republican neocons would have been very upset. Do you get the picture??

jmdrake
07-23-2010, 05:51 AM
People are so gullible.

:rolleyes: Whatever dude. The farmer kept his farm. If he tried to sue her any judge with half a brain would say "No damages" and throw the case out. You want to interpret the video in the worst possible light and ignore the actual facts of the case and call others who don't do that "gullible" that's on you.

jmdrake
07-23-2010, 05:55 AM
So list the words and phrases that are supposed to be avoided by the Tea Parties and they will comply with that list. I doubt you are up for the task.

Rather than defending the tea parties ad nauseum, which have been clearly hijacked by the "teocons", I dare you to show up to the next giant tea party with this sign. I double dog dare you.

http://obamaisabitch.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/barack-obama-bush-on-steroids1.jpg

It's not racist. And it will probably tick some of the teocons off. And it's 100% the truth.

free1
07-23-2010, 08:06 AM
a shit load of people here were jumping on the bandwagon when this story came out. Where are they now? A lot of people on ronpaulforums owe this woman an apology.

i agree!!!

Soca Taliban
07-23-2010, 09:17 AM

Look dude, you wanna be racist? Go on ahead. I ain't playin' your game. It is my personal opinion that Ron Paul is against any form of racism, whether it be making fun of a black man by calling him a jawboney ooga booga, or pointing out that most male whites have inky winky dinkies. Take your pick, you lover of Freedom and Liberty!So now you're saying I'm racists? lol Why? It is because your silly points have about as much mental acuity as Sarah Palin's retarded child? I honestly don't even know what the hell you're talking about or what point you're trying to make. You claim, millions of white men have small penises, so do millions of men from all corners of this globe. Again, whats your point? It might do you some good, to pick up a biology book or material on genetics.

The Patriot
07-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Well, since you asked; I will answer. You see, most white males have small, teeny tiny dinkies. Bush's wife Laura, wanted a divorce from George W. because his teeny tiny inky winky dinky didn't satisfy her. Now, had the black Democrats made fun of Bush's teeny tiny inky winky dinky, many Republican neocons would have been very upset. Do you get the picture??

What is your proof he has a small dick? And by saying this, do you admit Obama looks like an ape? Even when the ape comment is not in relation to his looks, but his poor leadership/policymaking?

YumYum
07-23-2010, 06:08 PM
What is your proof he has a small dick? And by saying this, do you admit Obama looks like an ape? Even when the ape comment is not in relation to his looks, but his poor leadership/policymaking?

The fact that Laura wants out of the marriage is proof he doesn't satisfy her. Obama does not look like an ape. He looks more like the Australian aborigine in the movie "The G-d's Must be Crazy". We must be careful who we accuse of looking like apes.

silus
07-23-2010, 06:19 PM
So now the tune changes. First it was degrading to ALL black people, now its hurtful to some people.
I have no idea what your point is, but let me just repeat it again for you... Some words are more hurtful to some people (or groups) than others. Deal with that statement and that principle, don't create these irrelevant points of attack.

What does that have to do with my statement? The issue I addressed is why its more hurtful to call a black person a monkey than a white person...or an asian, or most other races. Or why its more hurtful to call a mentally handicapped person a retard vs. a classmate. It wasn't that complicated.

michaelwise
07-23-2010, 06:51 PM
I have no idea what your point is, but let me just repeat it again for you... Some words are more hurtful to some people (or groups) than others. Deal with that statement and that principle, don't create these irrelevant points of attack.

What does that have to do with my statement? The issue I addressed is why its more hurtful to call a black person a monkey than a white person...or an asian, or most other races. Or why its more hurtful to call a mentally handicapped person a retard vs. a classmate. It wasn't that complicated.The last time I checked the police reports of crosses burning on lawns and lynchings are non-existent. Showing a picture of a monkey is not a crime, period. People have to get over their misguided feelings on certain words and pictures that make them feel hurt in their minds only.

KurtBoyer25L
07-23-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't typically mind making a thoughtful post and having it not responded to at all, but it sure blows chunks to have one covered up by this silly muckraking fight.

silus
07-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Showing a picture of a monkey is not a crime, period. People have to get over their misguided feelings on certain words and pictures that make them feel hurt in their minds only.
Is this about what is deemed a crime?...no. Are people misguided for allowing certain words to cause them more grief than others? No, because thats just reality. Not all words have equal value to everyone. Thats just the way shit is. Thats the principle at work that makes a woman take greater offense at being called a whore, a gay person being called a ******, a black being called a n*gger. Which is why the people using those words selected them in the first place! Welcome to earth.

Dianne
07-23-2010, 09:41 PM
When the "short" statement came out, I was pretty well pissed... but when the entire speech came out; I loved this woman. If anyone was trying to undue the elitiest attempt to continue racist hatred; it was she. I often wonder if she was fired because she exposed the elitists' attempt to keep us divided, or because of another Obamadrama.

The Patriot
07-23-2010, 11:52 PM
The fact that Laura wants out of the marriage is proof he doesn't satisfy her. Obama does not look like an ape. He looks more like the Australian aborigine in the movie "The G-d's Must be Crazy". We must be careful who we accuse of looking like apes.

What is your proof she wants out of the marriage, and that if that is the case it was because of sexual issues? And now you are admitting Obama looks like a primitive, and that whites have small dicks, now you have two groups after you, blacks, and white males.

The Patriot
07-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Is this about what is deemed a crime?...no. Are people misguided for allowing certain words to cause them more grief than others? No, because thats just reality. Not all words have equal value to everyone. Thats just the way shit is. Thats the principle at work that makes a woman take greater offense at being called a whore, a gay person being called a ******, a black being called a n*gger. Which is why the people using those words selected them in the first place! Welcome to earth.

I live in Texas most of the year, and hear n*gger a lot more than ******.

The Patriot
07-24-2010, 12:00 AM
And portraying Obama as a monkey is fair game, as Bush and I believe Reagan have been portrayed as such, and can be done in a non-racial way. When the New York Post posted that sketch, Obama supporters brought race into it.

YumYum is just a slam dunking wigger with a small penis, trying to take shots at white people cause he wishes he was black. He is trying to project his small penis onto others. And criticizing a white politician's penis size would be uncalled for, or any politician's for that matter, because it has never been done before a penis size has no relation to intelligence or leadership abilities.

silus
07-24-2010, 12:14 AM
When the "short" statement came out, I was pretty well pissed... but when the entire speech came out; I loved this woman. If anyone was trying to undue the elitiest attempt to continue racist hatred; it was she. I often wonder if she was fired because she exposed the elitists' attempt to keep us divided, or because of another Obamadrama.
She was fired because democrats are complete cowards.

And portraying Obama as a monkey is fair game, as Bush and I believe Reagan have been portrayed as such...
The fact that Bush supporters didn't take the same offense by the monkey portrayal as the Obama supporters should kind of clue you into the reality that there is a long history behind that word being associated with blacks, and history matters.

You apparently live in this strange parallel universe where all words should have the same value to everyone and every group. You have bought into this liberal falsehood that everything and everyone is equal, and double standards should not exist, and we can all live in peace and harmony. It has no basis in reality. Sorry. The sooner you understand this the sooner you will realize how shit actually functions.

YumYum
07-24-2010, 01:03 AM
YumYum is just a slam dunking wigger with a small penis, trying to take shots at white people cause he wishes he was black. He is trying to project his small penis onto others. And criticizing a white politician's penis size would be uncalled for, or any politician's for that matter, because it has never been done before a penis size has no relation to intelligence or leadership abilities.

You took the bait. I say no more. ;)

TNforPaul45
07-24-2010, 01:22 AM
Getting back to the original topic, ahem,...

This whole sherrod affair is the price we pay for living in the information age. Our information arrives in a flash, and so we make the fallacy that our opinions and judgements should as well.

TNforPaul45
07-24-2010, 01:23 AM
Rather than defending the tea parties ad nauseum, which have been clearly hijacked by the "teocons", I dare you to show up to the next giant tea party with this sign. I double dog dare you.

It's not racist. And it will probably tick some of the teocons off. And it's 100% the truth.

THIS should be the new liberty flag that is being debated in the other thread hahahaha :):):):):):)

low preference guy
07-24-2010, 01:25 AM

Neato! Agree this should be the new Tea Party flag. I actually don't think it would be too controversial to show up at a rally with one of these.

But don't do it just yet. It might discourage Democrats from extending the Bush tax cuts. But once they do it, let it be the Tea Party flag!

YumYum
07-24-2010, 01:35 AM
Getting back to the original topic, ahem,...

This whole sherrod affair is the price we pay for living in the information age. Our information arrives in a flash, and so we make the fallacy that our opinions and judgements should as well.

True. This forum has always been notorious for demanding proof before conclusions are drawn. I hope it remains that way.

fuzzybekool
07-24-2010, 01:55 AM
Pigford Vs. Vilsack (USDA) - This link is an opinion piece from the San Francisco Examiner. It is just another angle to this Sherrod story that few in the MSM are looking at, and possibly why Breitbart may have been set-up by his source.
http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/Examiner-Opinion-Zone/98846149.html (http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/Examiner-Opinion-Zone/98846149.html)

YumYum
07-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Pigford Vs. Vilsack (USDA) - This link is an opinion piece from the San Francisco Examiner. It is just another angle to this Sherrod story that few in the MSM are looking at, and possibly why Breitbart may have been set-up by his source.
http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/Examiner-Opinion-Zone/98846149.html (http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/Examiner-Opinion-Zone/98846149.html)

Wow!! And I mean double Wow!! The article you provided asks a thought provoking question:

:"Did Shirley Sherrod resign so quickly because the circumstances of her hiring and the lawsuit settlement with her organization that
preceded it might expose some unpleasant truths about her possible and possibly sanctioned conflicts of interest?"

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/Examiner-Opinion-Zone/98846149.html#ixzz0uaNlCyOR

I too wondered why she resigned so quickly.

Please say it ain't so, Joe!!

Peace&Freedom
07-24-2010, 03:56 AM
I'm just wondering, do any of the media statists who complained about Sherrod's statements being taken out of context, complain about the comments tea party candidates like Sharron Angle being taken out of context?

angelatc
07-24-2010, 01:51 PM

It isn't even on entirely on Brietbart. The orignal story was not so much about what she was saying as it was the crowd's overwhemingly positive reaction to it.

If I were in a meeting and somebody started telling a tale of how they discriminated against a black guy, I wouldn't have a positive reaction.

He didn't tell the story well, and made a mistake by editing the video too much. Maybe that was intentional, but what he wrote was essentially the truth. (http://biggovernment.com/abreitbart/2010/07/19/video-proof-the-naacp-awards-racism2010/)

"Sherrod’s racist tale is received by the NAACP audience with nodding approval and murmurs of recognition and agreement. Hardly the behavior of the group now holding itself up as the supreme judge of another groups’ racial tolerance."

People who have actually listened to the test of the 45 minute tape say that she isn't actually even redeemed, although the media is telling us she is. http://ctpatriot1970.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/usdas-shirley-sherrod-video-breitbart-exposes-real-racists-the-naacp/

Instead of having acted on this realization — and perhaps mindful of the audience — Sherrod then backtracks and says that it’s really an issue of race after all.

angelatc
07-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't typically mind making a thoughtful post and having it not responded to at all, but it sure blows chunks to have one covered up by this silly muckraking fight.

I think they do that on purpose. If you block about 4 people, you'd be surprised how much subversion gets edited out of conversations .

YumYum
07-24-2010, 01:58 PM
I think they do that on purpose. If you block about 4 people, you'd be surprised how much subversion gets edited out of conversations .

So, do you think that people jump to conclusions without examining the facts?

angelatc
07-24-2010, 01:59 PM
I feel sorry for anyone who loses a job based on any false premise. But I really do have to agree that there is a horrible double standard at work. First of all, WHAT EXACTLY IS *IN* CONTEXT about smearing Ron or Rand Paul with a one-sentence excerpt from a newsletter published 25 years ago, or a small snippet of conversation about civil rights? Did anyone take them seriously when they pleaded for context and understanding? Out-of-context reporting seems to be a normative standard for mainstream news. Yet it is treated like a scandal when it's convenient to do so.

Second, I agree with Mr. Breitbart that if a white person had made parallel statements to the John Birch Society & were seconded with whoops of approval, the journalist capturing it would be lauded REGARDLESS OF CONTEXT. The rest of the speech would have been considered a lame attempt to "rationalize" or "cover up" the racist content in the beginning. Moreover, nobody would call and apologize to the speech-maker or offer them any job with the White House. He/she would be publicly disgraced.

And you're exactly right. This was my original point although you made it more succinctly than I did.

Case in point, Obama talks about having done cocaine and other illegal drugs, but rarely does anybody mention that. Rush Limbaugh got addicted to prescription pain killers that he began taking legitimately, and he's viciously branded a drug addict for life.

KurtBoyer25L
07-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Angela, thanks for the word up, though I misused the word "muckraking." Words like that should be reserved for mainstream politicians and campaigns.

My issue with Rush wasn't that he took drugs but that he was basically taking the same stuff (in pill form) that Kurt Cobain did, for much the same reasons -- Cobain shot up junk to get rid of chronic pain, then he got hooked -- and yet when Cobain died Rush made fun of his music and called him "just another druggie" and said it was no big deal. He also said it was fine when Jerry Garcia died, because Garcia took drugs, so therefore his life or death had no value. By that standard, Rush's life and death have no value, since he chose to put drugs in his body. On this issue Rush would seem guilty of a dreadful inconsistency in logic and moral judgment. I always wondered if he addressed this topic post-Oxycontin. I respect Rush enough that I would listen. Back on topic, his recent comments about "tribalism" and Obama and liberals were actually fairly brilliant, and apply very accurately to the NAACP.