PDA

View Full Version : Want: Death from Starvation Chart 1960

sirellyn
07-21-2010, 07:04 PM
I keep hearing arguments on how foodstamps are fantastic, and if we go without them millions of americans would starve.

I'd just like to see what the starvation rates for the US were like in say 1961 (Before Foodstamps) and what they were like say in 1965 (well after food stamps were started)

I can't find any data on it though. All "hunger mortality" charts don't seem to go back in time, nor do they actually list any numbers in US or any "Industrialized Country" indicating it doesn't exist. Which of course it does, even if the number is very low.

I've seen people say "infant mortality was down after foodstamps were initiated" but I can't even find a source for that!

I was hoping some people could help me track down these numbers.

John E
07-21-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't have any direct data but I heard a lot of stories from grand relatives who lived during the great depression and starvation was a huge issue that left many emotional scars on the people of that time.

Food stamps weren't around then but you can probably find a lot of info and read up the Soup Lines. Google "great depression soup line" and you will find a lot of pictures.

Many here will probably disagree with me about this but services like Food Stamps should be available to those who are in need of it. No one wants to see people starve, and being that the USA is a leader in this new age of the world, no one should have to. I believe the challenge is to balance this against those who really need it versus those who simply take advantage of the system.

BenIsForRon
07-21-2010, 07:57 PM
A good compromise would be for state governments to handle laws dealing with the social safety net.

Danke
07-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Didn't FDR pay farmers to dump milk, etc. during the depression for price support?

jclay2
07-21-2010, 08:35 PM
I don't have any direct data but I heard a lot of stories from grand relatives who lived during the great depression and starvation was a huge issue that left many emotional scars on the people of that time.

Food stamps weren't around then but you can probably find a lot of info and read up the Soup Lines. Google "great depression soup line" and you will find a lot of pictures.

Many here will probably disagree with me about this but services like Food Stamps should be available to those who are in need of it. No one wants to see people starve, and being that the USA is a leader in this new age of the world, no one should have to. I believe the challenge is to balance this against those who really need it versus those who simply take advantage of the system.

Why am I not surprised that you have so much charity for the poor when its other peoples money you are dealing with. End government welfare and have private citizens do what they think is right with their new income (welfare program taxes). I know if I saw a starving person in my neighborhood, I know myself and my neighbors would be willing to do the right thing and feed/cloth the destitute person. In general private individuals will make the right moral call WHEN UNINHIBITED BY CENTRALIZED GOVERNMENT AUTHORITIES . Trust individuals and you will be surprised by the result.

YumYum
07-21-2010, 08:48 PM
No, I don't think Americans will starve.

During the past 20 years there has been a dramatic increase in obesity in the United States. In 2008, only one state (Colorado) had a prevalence of obesity less than 20%. Thirty-two states had a prevalence equal to or greater than 25%; six of these states (Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia ) had a prevalence of obesity equal to or greater than 30%.

The animated map below shows the United States obesity prevalence from 1985 through 2008.
Percent of Obese (BMI > 30) in U.S. Adults
<previous next> play stop
Obesity map. For data, see PowerPoint or PDF linked above.

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html

libertybrewcity
07-21-2010, 09:16 PM
If there are food shortages, i bet Americans could live off their fat for a few years...:eek:

John E
07-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Why am I not surprised that you have so much charity for the poor when its other peoples money you are dealing with.

Who said its other people's money? I earn a decent income and lose a very substantial amount of my paycheck to the tax man. Lets not reduce an intellectual discussion to straw man insults and arguments.

I know if I saw a starving person in my neighborhood, I know myself and my neighbors would be willing to do the right thing and feed/cloth the destitute person. In general private individuals will make the right moral call WHEN UNINHIBITED BY CENTRALIZED GOVERNMENT AUTHORITIES . Trust individuals and you will be surprised by the result.

I trust people to do the right thing ... who says they don't do it today inspite of the taxes thrust upon them?

How often do you go and feed / cloth those in need?