PDA

View Full Version : We need a Ron Paul Documentary

Revolution_Ready
07-21-2010, 11:26 AM
My wife and I were recently talking politics, both of us are libertarians. We were wondering what it would take to wake up the majority of Americans to the realities of endless wars and monetary manipulation. And even more important, get the majority of the voters behind the right candidates. She mentioned a Michael Moore type Hollywood documentary sometime in late 2011. The more I think about it, the more I think it would work. But it would have to be big, and controversial to really get any media coverage of course. And feature a prominent US politician, like ron paul. Would the house ethics committee allow something like this? He could at least do plenty of interviews.

Though I have no idea how to go about doing this, my business has done well this year despite all that has happened, and I would be willing to make a large capital donation to the cause, as I am sure plenty of others on here and Campaign for Liberty would do too.

What do you guys think? Has anyone attempted this in the past?

djdellisanti4
07-21-2010, 11:30 AM
"For Liberty" did a great job of documenting the grass roots movement and "America: Freedom to Fascism" is kind of like what you are saying, but I don't believe there is a definitive documentary yet. I think this would be a great idea though.

Mahkato
07-21-2010, 11:34 AM
We were wondering what it would take to wake up the majority of Americans to the realities of endless wars and monetary manipulation.

Unless you have about $100 million to invest, your documentary will only be available online and will only be watched by people who already agree with you.

I would suggest seeking out state legislature candidates who are committed to liberty, and funding them to the maximum.

specsaregood
07-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Unless you have about $100 million to invest, your documentary will only be available online and will only be watched by people who already agree with you.

Not true.

djdellisanti4
07-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Not true.

Care to elaborate?

speciallyblend
07-21-2010, 11:41 AM

I would suggest seeking out state legislature candidates who are committed to liberty, and funding them to the maximum.

yep,keep it local no matter the party! Liberty Has No Party! It is up to you to Win Locally!! 2010 is gonna be interesting for many local/state races in every state especially in Colorado! Liberty-Minded Candidates will do well, typical biggov republicans i think will lose all over,except for a few hard-core gop establishment areas(some-folks never learn)!!!! I think Voters will have more to say by Nov 2010!!!

Liberty Candidates 2010, Ron Paul 2012

WaltM
07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Care to elaborate?

i think he just means, a film doesnt need $100M to distribute, and it's available already for anybody who wants it.

speciallyblend
07-21-2010, 11:45 AM
i think he just means, a film doesnt need $100M to distribute, and it's available already for anybody who wants it.

maybe have a ron paul meetup and orgs callout for ron paul videos. etc etc i bet plenty of raw footage;)

Mahkato
07-21-2010, 11:45 AM
I mean that unless you have a ton of money to produce and promote an extremely professional documentary, and another ton of money to make it NOT INCREDIBLY BORING to the general (apathetic) public, then no one is going to go see it.

specsaregood
07-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Care to elaborate?

Hard work, perseverence, connections/networking, doing the film festival circuit all over the country. If you produce a good enough doc and do all of that successfully you can get picked up by a distributer who will get your dvd's out or sell the doc for tv viewing on channels similar to that topic etc.

Sure you probably aren't going to get in every theatre in america like michael moores, but his movies cover very broad and/or hot topics. A documentary on a person is by definition going to be a somewhat limited audience. But you can definitely get it to a larger view base than just online and just ron paul supporters.

Edit: i have a successful documentary filmmaker in the family, I'll suggest this topic to him when I see him in a couple weeks.

Mahkato
07-21-2010, 11:49 AM
I would suggest instead a documentary on Austrian economics.

djdellisanti4
07-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Hard work, perseverence, connections/networking, doing the film festival circuit all over the country. If you produce a good enough doc and do all of that successfully you can get picked up by a distributer who will get your dvd's out or sell the doc for tv viewing on channels similar to that topic etc.

Sure you probably aren't going to get in every theatre in america like michael moores, but his movies cover very broad and/or hot topics. A documentary on a person is by definition going to be a somewhat limited audience. But you can definitely get it to a larger view base than just online and just ron paul supporters.

Edit: i have a successful documentary filmmaker in the family, I'll suggest this topic to him when I see him in a couple weeks.

Yeah I pretty much agree.

yep,keep it local no matter the party! Liberty Has No Party! It is up to you to Win Locally!! 2010 is gonna be interesting for many local/state races in every state especially in Colorado! Liberty-Minded Candidates will do well, typical biggov republicans i think will lose all over,except for a few hard-core gop establishment areas(some-folks never learn)!!!! I think Voters will have more to say by Nov 2010!!!

Liberty Candidates 2010, Ron Paul 2012

I'm glad somebody said this. I feel like people on this website want to see change within the Republican party. I don't think that will happen. We need to be voting for the best liberty candidate, whether he is a Republican, a Demcorat, Libertarian or independent.

freshjiva
07-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Agreed. I am in full support of this idea of creating a professional documentary. We would need an ~extensive~ video library and all the necessary equipment to produce the film.

Then, we mass reproduce DVDs and mobilize a massive corps of volunteers and personally hand them to EVERY REPUBLICAN HOME in Iowa, New Hampshire and Michigan. Obviously this would require 2-3 million DVDs to be produced, but it is very possible if we have adequate funding. And since when has money been tight for a Ron Paul Presidential campaign? :D

I'd say the total cost of production and distribution for a professionally made film would be under $100,000, because most of the distribution would be done by volunteers.

This is a must if we want to make Ron Paul 2012 happen.

Sentient Void
07-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Michael Moore's 'Capitalism: A Love Story', cost only $6 million to make and market - and it was marketed well enough and was in 962 theaters. Of course, it was full of a disgusting level of logical fallacies and ignorance - including even it's headline, which is a strawman attack on capitalism... since we have corporatism and NOT capitalism. it would be more accurate to call it 'Corporatism: A Love Story'. But I digress. That's another discussion.

Back to the point and just a heads up, is all - you don't need $100 Million to get a movie in many standard commercial theaters.

Mahkato
07-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Then, we mass reproduce DVDs and mobilize a massive corps of volunteers and personally hand them to EVERY REPUBLICAN HOME in Iowa, New Hampshire and Michigan. What percentage of people do you think would actually watch a political DVD that someone on their doorstep handed to them? Of those, what percentage would be persuaded? Of those, what percentage would actually vote?

speciallyblend
07-21-2010, 12:03 PM
What percentage of people do you think would actually watch a political DVD that someone on their doorstep handed to them? Of those, what percentage would be persuaded? Of those, what percentage would actually vote?

AIMEE ALLEN, enough said:)

djdellisanti4
07-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Michael Moore's 'Capitalism: A Love Story', cost only $6 million to make and market - and it was marketed well enough and was in 962 theaters. Of course, it was full of a disgusting level of logical fallacies and ignorance - including even it's headline, which is a strawman attack on capitalism... since we have corporatism and NOT capitalism. it would be more accurate to call it 'Corporatism: A Love Story'. But I digress. That's another discussion.

Back to the point and just a heads up, is all - you don't need $100 Million to get a movie in many standard commercial theaters.

I feel Moore's name may have helped promote the movie too. By this point Moore could probably make a 15 minuete movie of him on the toliet and it will profit. But even Moore had to start somewhere!

freshjiva
07-21-2010, 12:11 PM
What percentage of people do you think would actually watch a political DVD that someone on their doorstep handed to them? Of those, what percentage would be persuaded? Of those, what percentage would actually vote?

Doesn't necessarily have to be handed to them; that was just a suggestion. DVDs can be mailed or left at the door. Sure, a lot of people will just ignore it and toss it in the trash, but we're trying to get more people educated about foreign policy, sound money, the Constitutional role of government, and free markets. What better way to educate than through a documentary?

WaltM
07-21-2010, 12:14 PM
I would suggest instead a documentary on Austrian economics.
such as this?
YouTube - Money, Banking and the Federal Reserve (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYZM58dulPE)

Mahkato
07-21-2010, 12:37 PM
such as this?

No. Who would watch that? Only people who already care.

Get Schiff, Woods, DiLorenzo, Robert Murphy, etc. and put together a GOOD STORY that teaches a lesson.

Combine Shiff's How An Economy Grows and Why It Crashes (or its predecessor How An Economy Grows and Why It Doesn't) with the Philosophy of Liberty and toss in some of the others' humorous and illustrative anecdotes, and you might be on to something.

awake
07-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Hire the for liberty guy and money bomb the funding.

Reason
07-21-2010, 02:51 PM
we are in desperate need of a documentary that gives short and catchy overviews on our multitude of issues.

No one who values honesty & integrity can distribute Alex Jones documentaries to people in person due to the mass amount of mixing legit with illegit information.