PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Freeman tells us how to End Racism in America

bobbyw24
07-21-2010, 06:33 AM
YouTube - Morgan freeman solves the race problem. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cGfrExozQ&feature=player_embedded)

BenIsForRon
07-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Awesome. I guarantee this is how a lot of black people feel about "black history month".

jmdrake
07-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Cool find. I'd love to watch the whole interview. My black history teacher in college was against black history month for the same reason. Black history is a part of American history so why relegate it to a single month?) The sad irony is that it's for so long "his"story has not been "our"story. While I'm still not a big Glenn Beck fan I do applaud him for talking about black patriots in the American history. But if these patriots had simply been kept as part of the story all along there wouldn't be a need to "highlight" them.

Elwar
07-21-2010, 07:31 AM
He hit the nail on the head.

He is Mike Wallace and he is Morgan Freeman. And that's all you need to know.

bobbyw24
07-21-2010, 07:44 AM
My bad on the title.

I meant to say "Morgan Freeman TELLS us . . ."

Elwar
07-21-2010, 07:46 AM
He says in his other video that the Massachussetts state motto is "Live Free or Die"

akforme
07-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Morgan Freemen is one of my favorite actors, he's also a huge pot head. I think one of his quotes is "I'll never give up the reefer"

osan
07-21-2010, 08:56 AM
YouTube - Morgan freeman solves the race problem. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cGfrExozQ&feature=player_embedded)

Curse this dial up connection!

Fredom101
07-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Awesome!
Spot on.
So relating that to this forum, let's quit labeling people "Anarchists" and "Minarchists", and just work towards the most freedom imaginable, okay? ;)

wrestlingwes_8
07-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Great video! He sure made Mike Wallace uncomfortable there HAHA!

Miles Dunn
07-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Why did he disassociate him self immediately from being "white" and proclaim him self to actually be "Jewish"?

Dreamofunity
07-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Why did he disassociate him self immediately from being "white" and proclaim him self to actually be "Jewish"?

He didn't want to be categorized in the 'majority' (at least within the Black vs White dichotomy) and admit that the rest of the 11 months that aren't black history month relate to 'his race'. I think he also wanted to show Freeman that he also is a minority, as to show empathy that he understands what it's like.

This backfired however when Freeman asked him if he wanted his own month, and he plainly stated no, proving Freeman's point.

JeNNiF00F00
07-21-2010, 10:30 AM
:D

Romulus
07-21-2010, 01:44 PM

He slid out of that question to fall into a bigger trap. LOL!

Interesting that Mike Wallace doesn't consider himself "white".

Bman
07-21-2010, 01:59 PM
cause hes not white

Maybe he is not, but religion is no bearing on skin color.

Thay was some great talk by Morgan on ending racism however. I personally advocate for it to be illegal to ask someone for their race on government documents.

tpreitzel
07-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Some members of RPFs who like to inject race into nearly every issue need to listen to Morgan's words over and over again. I could name these members, but I'll forgo the opportunity.

BlackTerrel
07-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Good video.

The one caveat I would add is that for a long time the story of a lot of these people has been forgotten or ignored. As we move past those times things like black history month become less necessary.

Put it this way. When I was in school we had a subject History and a subject Black History (depending on the school - some schools didn't have Black History). The reason the latter was needed is that all those years of "History" there was never a single black person mentioned by name. As if millions of people had their history completely erased. The ideal thing would be to simply merge the two.

jsu718
07-21-2010, 03:23 PM
I personally advocate for it to be illegal to ask someone for their race on government documents.

That would be a spectacular first step.

Good video.

The one caveat I would add is that for a long time the story of a lot of these people has been forgotten or ignored. As we move past those times things like black history month become less necessary.

Put it this way. When I was in school we had a subject History and a subject Black History (depending on the school - some schools didn't have Black History). The reason the latter was needed is that all those years of "History" there was never a single black person mentioned by name. As if millions of people had their history completely erased. The ideal thing would be to simply merge the two.

When I was in school we learned about people for their contributions to history and not their race. I think in an ideal world that would be exactly how it would be. There were plenty of historical figures that I didn't even know were black until years later seeing pictures of them... and it didn't effect how I saw them. Hopefully someday we will learn about Obama because he was elected president and Tiger Woods for his incredible successes in golf and not their percentages of black heritage. Likewise we would know about Morgan Freeman for his acting ability and love for science instead of race.

jmdrake
07-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Good video.

I must have came through before you did. :D

Here's what I wish. I wish history courses were taught in an "open source" manner. Make everybody learn some basic facts and then let people add in the stuff that's important to them as long as it's verified as true. I think history would be more interesting that way. With the Internet such a "Wiki" course is completely plausible.

someperson
07-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Awesome!
Spot on.
So relating that to this forum, let's quit labeling people "Anarchists" and "Minarchists", and just work towards the most freedom imaginable, okay? ;)
+1 :)

heavenlyboy34
07-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Awesome!
Spot on.

This has always been the goal of anarchists. It's minarchists who deny it and start the flame wars (with a few notable exceptions).

nate895
07-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I agree. Growing when I was a kid, I had no idea there such a big issue about the color of people's skin until I started to get told that black people were some sort of oppressed minority. When I got told this, I thought it was like discriminating on the basis of eye color: Just plain stupid. If we simply stopped talking about race every five minutes, and relegate it to history class where it ought to be taught, then maybe we can get past racism finally.

Kregisen
07-21-2010, 04:20 PM
The reason why racism as a whole hasn't gone away completely is because instead of letting it go away, people try to fill racial quotas.

If an employer doesn't hire exactly the proportionate amount of minorities, they're racist and race (out of nowhere) becomes an issue.

Racism for the most part has been dead for decades....it's just these kinds of people who hold onto it and keep race an issue in society.

Dr.3D
07-21-2010, 04:27 PM
This has always been the goal of anarchists. It's minarchists who deny it and start the flame wars (with a few notable exceptions).

Here we go again, just change the two words, anarchists and minarchists to some name for two races and the battle continues.

Stop bringing it up and it will go away.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
07-21-2010, 04:57 PM

Wonderful. He seems to understand that most people got along back when a few made it so horrible for the vast majority of the people. For the sake of the people, we can't get distracted by such legal precedences as color, sex, religion and so forth. This is how the evil business fellow keeps his gals out of focus and in line.

Humanae Libertas
07-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Not talk about racism!? That's racist!

TruckinMike
07-21-2010, 06:33 PM

It was a gesture of kinship , if you will... "Hey Morgan, we're both in the abused minority club, take it easy on me..this is national TV and you are making me look like a bafoon."

TMike:)

Romulus
07-22-2010, 12:37 PM
it was a gesture of kinship , if you will... "hey morgan, we're both in the abused minority club, take it easy on me..this is national tv and you are making me look like a bafoon."

tmike:)

lmao

osan
07-25-2010, 01:22 PM
I agree. Growing when I was a kid, I had no idea there such a big issue about the color of people's skin until I started to get told that black people were some sort of oppressed minority. When I got told this, I thought it was like discriminating on the basis of eye color: Just plain stupid. If we simply stopped talking about race every five minutes, and relegate it to history class where it ought to be taught, then maybe we can get past racism finally.

So-called "racism" stems from issues far deeper than skin color.

That said, if we are to advocate freedom, then racial bias is a non-issue. In a free world people are at their leisure to like or dislike anyone or anything on whatever basis moves them. If those likes and dislikes, as well as their bases, are disagreeable to another, that person is free to shun such people. Freedom cuts all ways and a free world is, on the whole, a MYOB world.

We are either free or we are not. The issue holds no room for half measures. Of that you may rest assured.

agorist ninja
07-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Jewish isn't a race. Neither is Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, etc.