PDA

View Full Version : I just watched a powerful documentary... "The Cove"

Reason
07-21-2010, 12:51 AM
I found it on Netflix and thought I would check it out...

YouTube - The Cove Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KRD8e20fBo)

It was much more disturbing and powerful than I had imagined it would be...

To sum it up, there is this cove in Japan that is heavily guarded by the govt. where they force tens of thousands of dolphins into and then savagely slaughter them and their young.

The activists are violently confronted by the men who slaughter the dolphins when they attempt to capture video footage of the killing.

They end up forming a covert team to set up hidden cameras disguised as rocks which they sneak out into the cove in the dead of night which is successfully able to capture HD quality footage of the violent massacre.

The meat is then packaged and labeled as other types of meat so that the general populace is none the wiser.

To top it off, not only is there a massive media blackout orchestrated by the govt. to keep knowledge of this hidden, the dolphin meat is inundated with extremely toxic levels of neuron destroying Mercury.

WATCH FROM 14:20-15:39 IN THE CLIP BELOW TO WATCH THE HIDDEN CAMERA FOOTAGE THEY WERE ABLE TO SMUGGLE OUT OF THE COUNTRY.

YouTube - The Cove Extended Clip - Japan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szBxUQHtVkg)

The documentary also covers how the IWC has become completely corrupt with Japan doing everything it can to eliminate the international ban on whaling moratorium.

Japan has been buying votes at the IWC via bribing small island nations that are broke and desperate for cash flow.

I HIGHLY recommend that you check out this documentary, it is an extremely disturbing experience.

Kotin
07-21-2010, 01:00 AM
:(

Thanks for sharing.. I will add this to my queue.

WaltM
07-21-2010, 01:40 AM
dolphin meat sold as non-dolphin meat? wouldn't that devalue it?

wouldn't consumers want to pay more for dolphin meat? or is dolphin cheap to catch, making it the cheaper mean to cheat consumers with?

Reason
07-21-2010, 01:42 AM

wouldn't consumers want to pay more for dolphin meat? or is dolphin cheap to catch, making it the cheaper mean to cheat consumers with?

No.

The Japanese people don't want to eat dolphin meat.

In the documentary they go to the streets to inform them and get their reactions and the people are horrified.

WaltM
07-21-2010, 01:45 AM
No.

The Japanese people don't want to eat dolphin meat.

oh ok.

so this is saying that dolphins are easier to catch and kill, than raising cattle?

what I don't get is, wouldn't it ultimately matter as to how they taste and whether consumers like the product?

Reason
07-21-2010, 01:47 AM
oh ok.

so this is saying that dolphins are easier to catch and kill, than raising cattle?

what I don't get is, wouldn't it ultimately matter as to how they taste and whether consumers like the product?

They couldn't pass beef off as pricey seafood.

Apparently tasting the difference is pretty hard.

haaaylee
07-21-2010, 06:31 AM
This reminds me of the movie Gummo. When they sold cat meat, or was it dogs?, in the local super market.

libertarian4321
07-21-2010, 06:42 AM
I saw the movie and it was quite good.

I wish more Japanese people would watch it and end the pointless slaughter.

libertarian4321
07-21-2010, 06:53 AM

They don't round up the dolphins for meat- they round them up and collect the "cute" ones to send around the world to places like Sea World.

The rest of the dolphins, who aren't cute enough to make the cut are slaughtered- they are essentially a by-product of the "cute dolphin" industry.

People won't willingly eat dolphin (not even the Japanese) so they try to pass it off as whale meat.

So next time you take your kids to see the cute dolphins at Sea World (or similar), you are contributing to this...

Elwar
07-21-2010, 07:21 AM
So next time you take your kids to see the cute dolphins at Sea World (or similar), you are contributing to this...

Ya, my wife refuses to go to Sea World. Even if they treat the animals like kings, they're still not out free in the wild.

Seraphim
07-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Ya, my wife refuses to go to Sea World. Even if they treat the animals like kings, they're still not out free in the wild.

Let's not even begin to get into the fact that dolphins are possibly (probably) the second smartest animals on this planet (besides us). Great idea: kill one of the species we can interact with on a emotional level and sense there is something going on in their minds. :rolleyes:

WaltM
07-21-2010, 10:12 AM
They don't round up the dolphins for meat- they round them up and collect the "cute" ones to send around the world to places like Sea World.

The rest of the dolphins, who aren't cute enough to make the cut are slaughtered- they are essentially a by-product of the "cute dolphin" industry.

People won't willingly eat dolphin (not even the Japanese) so they try to pass it off as whale meat.

I see.

Do you happen to know why Japanese eat whale but not dolphin?

TheConstitutionLives
07-21-2010, 10:18 AM
I see.

Youre asking a lot of questions. Why dont you google the subject?

WaltM
07-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Youre asking a lot of questions. Why dont you google the subject?

because I want other people to do my reading for me and give me their opinion, so I don't need to do my own cherry picking.

Baptist
07-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I see.

Because dolphins are cuter than whales.

I have not read up on this subject, but I would also be willing to bet that many whales have lower levels of mercury because they feed on plankton and small life forms. Dolphins on the other hand eat other fish. The bigger you are on the oceanic food chain, the more mercury you have.

WaltM
07-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Because dolphins are cuter than whales.

That's a pretty darn silly excuse.

And the above implies, that those made into meat aren't cute enough.

I have not read up on this subject, but I would also be willing to bet that many whales have lower levels of mercury because they feed on plankton and small life forms. Dolphins on the other hand eat other fish. The bigger you are on the oceanic food chain, the more mercury you have.

Something tells me this one deserved to be eaten
http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss-100721-whale/ss-100721-whale-02.grid-8x2.jpg
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38339576/ns/world_news-africa/

Holy shit!! I just noticed the sail having the "The Saint" logo

TheTyke
07-21-2010, 10:35 AM
As far as labeling it as other kinds of meat... what makes it more shocking to kill dolphins or dogs than say, cattle or pigs for beef and pork? Or killing bugs (which are eaten some places?)

This has always puzzled me. Either it's ok to eat animals, or it isn't. The only distinction seems to be that some are considered "cute" or "pets" and therefore unappetizing. But this is an arbitrary and emotional distinction, not one grounded in logic or objectivity.

For my part, I eat a variety of meat, but when I think about where it comes from, it does make me queasy - whether it's beef or anything else... lol.

JeNNiF00F00
07-21-2010, 10:40 AM
this is horrible. Dolphins are almost human imo. They are very intelligent creatures. Disgusting.

JeNNiF00F00
07-21-2010, 10:41 AM
As far as labeling it as other kinds of meat... what makes it more shocking to kill dolphins or dogs than say, cattle or pigs for beef and pork? Or killing bugs (which are eaten some places?)

This has always puzzled me. Either it's ok to eat animals, or it isn't. The only distinction seems to be that some are considered "cute" or "pets" and therefore unappetizing. But this is an arbitrary and emotional distinction, not one grounded in logic or objectivity.

For my part, I eat a variety of meat, but when I think about where it comes from, it does make me queasy - whether it's beef or anything else... lol.

Would you eat soylent green?

WaltM
07-21-2010, 10:44 AM
this is horrible. Dolphins are almost human imo. They are very intelligent creatures. Disgusting.

do you rank the rights of an animal by their intelligence?

JeNNiF00F00
07-21-2010, 10:44 AM
I see.

Pretty Fucked up if you ask me. Whales, dolphins, dogs, cats, monkeys, apes, people are off limits. Why? Well for one thing they are mamals that have fairly high intelligence. They arent the bugs of the sea or fish that can spawn hundreds to thousands of offspring at a time either. With that being said, sea turtles, and turtles in general are off limits as well.

WaltM
07-21-2010, 10:45 AM

I don't believe all animals are equal, but I think "cuteness" is pretty stupid way to judge.

I think taste, cost and ecosystem balance are better ways to measure the right/wrong of killing and eat animals.

WaltM
07-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Pretty Fucked up if you ask me. Whales, dolphins, dogs, cats, monkeys, apes, people are off limits. Why? Well for one thing they are mamals that have fairly high intelligence. They arent the bugs of the sea or fish that can spawn hundreds to thousands of offspring at a time either. With that being said, sea turtles, and turtles in general are off limits as well.

so you DON'T see the difference between whales and dolphins, yeah, me neither.

JeNNiF00F00
07-21-2010, 10:48 AM
do you rank the rights of an animal by their intelligence?

Intelligence and by how fast they breed. The gestation period for a dolphin is 12 months and they have 1 at a time like humans.

Baptist
07-21-2010, 10:49 AM

Maybe it has to do with emotional attachment.

JeNNiF00F00
07-21-2010, 10:49 AM

They are both mamals, that nurse their young in the water. They are very similar. THey also communicate. Highly intelligent creatures, and whoever said something about them being cute doesn't know what they are talking about. Whales are beautiful creatures just as dolphins.

WaltM
07-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Intelligence and by how fast they breed. The gestation period for a dolphin is 12 months and they have 1 at a time like humans.

so do retarded people have the same rights as normal humans?

WaltM
07-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Maybe it has to do with emotional attachment.

which is pretty subjective and hypocritical

libertarian4321

We live right near one of the Sea World's, but haven't gone in years.

No need to encourage these people (let alone give them my money).

The Japanese who conduct this slaughter are barbarians (compared to the atrocities they committed during WW2, this is pretty minor, but it's still not right), but if it wasn't for people around the world creating a demand for "cute dolphin" shows, they'd be out of business.

Remember, for every "cute dolphin" you see at Sea World (or similar), many more who weren't quite cute enough were hacked up and allowed to bleed out before being packaged up and falsely sold as "whale" meat.

JeNNiF00F00
:D

TheTyke
07-21-2010, 10:55 AM
They are both mamals, that nurse their young in the water. They are very similar. THey also communicate. Highly intelligent creatures, and whoever said something about them being cute doesn't know what they are talking about. Whales are beautiful creatures just as dolphins.

Cows are also mammals that reproduce comparatively slowly. You say "cute" doesn't matter, but a sentence later say whales are also "beautiful." What are you saying?

JeNNiF00F00
07-21-2010, 11:00 AM
<:-P

WaltM
07-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Cows are also mammals that reproduce comparatively slowly. You say "cute" doesn't matter, but a sentence later say whales are also "beautiful." What are you saying?

she doesn't think whales are OK to kill.

WaltM
07-21-2010, 11:02 AM
No. Would you allow a retarded person to drive a car?

Nope.

Glad we agree, RETARDED PEOPLE DON'T HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS NORMAL HUMANS. ( I think you're the first person to be so honest, bonus points for adding that certain animals have more rights than retards)

Now I wish we could IQ test all Americans and stop the stupid ones from voting.

JeNNiF00F00
07-21-2010, 11:04 AM

Slutter McGee
07-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Well, if the dolphins and whales don't like it then they should not have bombed Hiroshima.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

JeNNiF00F00
07-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Well, if the dolphins and whales don't like it then they should not have bombed Hiroshima.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

lol :D

WaltM
07-21-2010, 11:07 AM

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

that's been discredited already!

but even if it was true, it's pretty collectivist to blame a whole species on the acts of 2 lone pilots.

WaltM
07-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Stop being an asshole Walt.

Did I put words in your mouth?

JeNNiF00F00
07-21-2010, 11:12 AM

TheTyke
07-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Cows are not intelligent. They're pretty stupid.

So you say being a mammal that reproduces slowly doesn't have anything to do with it. Neither does being beautiful, although you've used these in descriptions of why certain animals should or shouldn't be eaten.

The last remaining criteria you used are intelligence and communication. How do you define and prove these? I can point out that animals do not create tools of increasing complexity to better their standard of living, nor even develop new ways of caring for their sick and injured.

Finally, who is the ultimate authority on what is what has low enough intelligence to eat?

WaltM
07-21-2010, 11:35 AM
So you say being a mammal that reproduces slowly doesn't have anything to do with it. Neither does being beautiful, although you've used these in descriptions of why certain animals should or shouldn't be eaten.

The last remaining criteria you used are intelligence and communication. How do you define and prove these? I can point out that animals do not create tools of increasing complexity to better their standard of living, nor even develop new ways of caring for their sick and injured.

and nor do retards, so I asked her if she believes retards have equal rights, glad she was honest on that.

Finally, who is the ultimate authority on what is what has low enough intelligence to eat?

good question.

Mahkato
07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
This thread: A+

Natalie
07-21-2010, 12:01 PM
I find it funny that people who are horrified when they watch these kind of videos have no problem eating a nice, juicy steak right after.

Natalie
07-21-2010, 12:04 PM

Yeah, pigs are really smart too. They can play simple video games. Why aren't we all freaking out over the massive slaughter of pigs that goes on every day? I think pigs are cuter than dolphins, imo.

teacherone
07-21-2010, 12:07 PM
mmmmmm dolphin....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tXnRqvqZouw/SUp-67JjxnI/AAAAAAAAAWQ/BmHvjbWYewc/s320/homer_simpson31.jpg

WaltM
07-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Yeah, pigs are really smart too. They can play simple video games. Why aren't we all freaking out over the massive slaughter of pigs that goes on every day? I think pigs are cuter than dolphins, imo.

+1 for cute pigs!

;)

echebota
07-21-2010, 12:32 PM
WaltM is not being an asshole. He is simply being reasonable. On the contrary JeNNiF00F00 is arguing to kill or to praise animals based on their 1) looks and 2) a very subjective IQ level 3) the way they feed their babies.

Come on, JeNNiF00F00, seriously!!!!!

dannno
07-21-2010, 12:36 PM
I find it funny that people who are horrified when they watch these kind of videos have no problem eating a nice, juicy steak right after.

Hmm, well, cows are pretty cute...

http://www.thedjlinkdomain.co.uk/pictures/cute/cow.jpg

dannno
07-21-2010, 12:43 PM
WaltM is not being an asshole. He is simply being reasonable. On the contrary JeNNiF00F00 is arguing to kill or to praise animals based on their 1) looks and 2) a very subjective IQ level 3) the way they feed their babies.

Come on, JeNNiF00F00, seriously!!!!!

What's wrong with that? It's not like she's trying to make a law, just stating a preference for the type of animals she would be willing to eat..

Kelly.
07-21-2010, 12:45 PM
i think the part about killing dolphins that is different than other animals, is that some people think/believe that dolphins are self aware (meaning when they look at themselves in a mirror, they know not only that they are seeing a dolphin, but that they are seeing them self)
they also say in the movie that dolphins have to consciously take breaths, something most animals (including humans) dont do.

one of the most powerful lines in the documentary is when the main guy Ric Obarry says:
"you have to see dolphins in the wild to see why captivity doesn't work"
as it talks about all the antibiotics/hormones they have to give them to keep them alive in captivity. :(
and how they normally travel ~ 40 miles a day, but in captivity they get a small tank next to screaming/clapping fans.

if you don't know who Ric Obarry is, he is the guy that trained all 5 of the "flipper" dolphins. for a guy that started this "dolphin training/captivity" thing to do a complete 180* , when he could be making millions training dolphins, speaks volumes to me.
ric obarry has been arrested a bunch of times for releasing captive dolphins back into the wild

pretty interesting movie i thought.
it really opens your eyes to somethings you would never have thought about.