PDA

View Full Version : We never asked anything of the State and never expected anything.

RSLudlum
07-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Jimmy Stewart as Charlie Anderson in Shenandoah:
"These are my sons, They don't belong to the State. When they were babies I never saw the State coming around with a spare tit. We never asked anything of the State and never expected anything. We do our own living and thanks to no man for the right!"

YouTube - Scene from Shenandoah (1965) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDHBj8KqlHI)

BuddyRey
07-21-2010, 12:00 AM
A terrific monologue from a terrific film!

If I recall correctly, the Jimmy Stewart character and his family were Quakers who didn't believe in violence and abstained from the war. Of course, the film does sort of play up to the erroneous notion that the south was fighting to preserve the institution of slavery, but it does manage to get in some great libertarian moments as well.

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Of course, the film does sort of play up to the erroneous notion that the south was fighting to preserve the institution of slavery,

Preserving the institution of slavery is one of the reasons the south was fighting. I disagree when people claim it is THE reason.

Rael
07-21-2010, 01:35 AM
one of my favorite films