PDA

View Full Version : Hotline on Huckabee, Hunter and McCain

Bradley in DC
10-15-2007, 12:56 PM
http://blogometer.nationaljournal.com/

HUCKABEE: Must Win Over Catholics To Have A Chance
Soren Dayton tackles the question why social conservatives have failed to rally around Mike Huckabee and Sam Brownback:

First, the process starts with natural selection. Only very recently has there been a solid case for Huckabee being the obvious candidate of the religious right. In Q1 and Q2 Brownback outraised Huckabee and was about tied in the polls. Until Ames, the argument for preferring Huckabee was hard to ground in solid facts. (Now it is a lot easier). ... Second, I think that there is a degree of sectarianism. ... Nearly everyone I know who is a strong Huckabee advocate is an evangelical Christian. Nearly everyone I know who is a strong Brownback advocate is a conservative Catholic. It was a great feat of the Moral Majority and the Christian Coalition to get these people working together. If the leaders were to intervene in this fight, then they might threaten the foundation of their coalition. ... I don't know anyone who thinks that Brownback and Huckabee could really win a general election, although that is shifting for Huckabee to some extent.

HUNTER: Running Two Campaigns?
Captain's Quarters blogged 10/11-13's Reno, NV, Conservative Leadership Conference including 10/13's Duncan Hunter speech: "The first order of business is endorsing his son for his seat in Congress. Duncan Hunter Jr is currently serving in Afghanistan as a Marine, called back to active duty, and his father has been campaigning almost as hard for his son as he has for himself here at the CLC. ... Hunter talks about the "arsenal of democracy,"... and reminds us that Americans make things. The retreat of the manufacturing sector puts American security at risk. ... Hunter will bring the jobs back. That's his bottom line on trade and national security."

MCCAIN: In Case You Forgot Why McCain Still Won't Win Conservatives
Right Wing News looks at Townhall reports that John McCain is now telling NH voters "that he still believes in the immigration plan that failed in Congress earlier this year but that he now realizes that none of its components - including allowing millions of illegal immigrants to eventually earn legal status - can be enacted until the borders are secured first."

RWN responds: "Do I believe him? In a word: no. But, the fact that the point man for comprehensive illegal immigration reform in the Senate feels compelled to take a security first position on illegal immigration is significant because it means that people can like it, not like it, think it's good, think it's bad, but no matter how you slice it, there is now a consensus position on illegal immigration in the Republican party and it's a security first position."