PDA

View Full Version : Florida Senate race a window into Ron Paul's strategy in 2012?

Elwar
07-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Charlie Crist is very popular with independents but knew that he wouldn't be able to win the Republican nomination so he bailed and ran as an independent.

Ron Paul is very popular with independents. He may come to the realization that he can't win the Republican nomination as well.

If Charlie Crist wins in November, will Ron Paul follow his lead and drop out of the primary to run as an independent if he runs into the same road blocks he ran into in 2008?

teamrican1
07-20-2010, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't say Charlie Crist is "very" popular among independents, and I'm quite sure Ron Paul isn't. Also, you couldn't find two more different politicians than Crist and Paul. Crist believes in nothing other than the fact he thinks he is entitled to hold public office. He changes positions 180 degrees every other day depending on what he thinks gives him political advantage. Crist left the GOP because he is a rat desperately trying to save his own hide. Paul has made the principled decision to stay in the GOP because he doesn't believe third parties have a fair shot in our system and the only way to affect change is to take over one of the two major parties. Crist doesn't care about the long term or even political ideology. He only cares about personal power. Ron could care less about personal power. Ron can learn nothing from scum like Crist.

Matt Collins
07-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Winning a single state's Senate race is a lot different than winning a national nomination.

Ekrub
07-20-2010, 11:46 AM
The threat of Ron running as an independent should scare the GOP into giving him a fair shot. But he would have no chance if he doesn't have the GOP's backing.

AcidReign
07-20-2010, 11:56 AM
I could see it the other way. If Ron won the nomination, Romney or Huckabee would probably run 3rd party.

Elwar
07-20-2010, 12:01 PM
The threat of Ron running as an independent should scare the GOP into giving him a fair shot. But he would have no chance if he doesn't have the GOP's backing.

The threat was there all through 2008. Almost every interview they did they asked him if he was going to run as an independent or libertarian (mainly undercutting his stance with Republicans).

RPgrassrootsactivist
07-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Ron won't win if the runs as an independent. He'll probably do better than any third party candidate has in recent memory, but he won't win.

If, on the other hand, Ron does get the GOP nomination, he'll likely be able to win over most independent voters. If Ron becomes the nominee, I think he'll win the general election.

Aratus
07-21-2010, 10:57 AM
ole ross perot tried the third party route
ron paul may be wiser to be GOP in 2012

speciallyblend
07-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I am voting Ron Paul 2012, the gop CAN TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT;) The Gop can sit and think about that before or after the election!!!! I suggest the gop get with the program!! I keep reminding myself of the actions of the gop establishment on Ron Paul 2008. BLOWBACK

AJ Antimony
07-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Apples and oranges.

As governor, Crist is basically is an incumbent senator since he obviously has already won a state wide race.

As a congressman, Paul only represents like 1/435th of the country.

Also, Crist obviously has no problems throwing away all his support/friends/ties in the Republican party. He can do this because his Republican support has been dwindling since embracing Obama.

Ron Paul on the other hand would lose everything by ditching the Republican party. His support has been BUILDING since 2008. You can make the case that without Ron Paul in 2008 there wouldn't be Rand Paul, Sharron Angle, Ken Buck, Rubio, etc.

Running third party is the dumbest thing you can do. Crist is only able to get away with it because he already has a war chest, donors, and organizers since he's already won a state wide race.

Your analogy would be valid if Crist were a Republican LEGISLATOR winning as an independent for Governor.

libertybrewcity
07-21-2010, 03:13 PM
what's the deal with ron running as an independent? he's a republican

libertybrewcity
07-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Charlie Crist is very popular with independents but knew that he wouldn't be able to win the Republican nomination so he bailed and ran as an independent.

Ron Paul is very popular with independents. He may come to the realization that he can't win the Republican nomination as well.

If Charlie Crist wins in November, will Ron Paul follow his lead and drop out of the primary to run as an independent if he runs into the same road blocks he ran into in 2008?

and why the hell would Ron Paul ever in a million years follow the lead of Charlie Christ????...