PDA

View Full Version : Pastor in Holy Spirit trance against Gay marriage?

itshappening
07-20-2010, 08:06 AM
YouTube - Pastor Goes NUTS with HOLY SPIRIT in Front of Equality Protest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boUfcURApxY)

what the heck is he saying ?

YumYum
07-20-2010, 08:20 AM
YouTube - Pastor Goes NUTS with HOLY SPIRIT in Front of Equality Protest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boUfcURApxY)

He is saying that he has got a sore butt.

jmdrake
07-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Two guys against a whole army of protesters. No matter what you think of this pastor that takes guts! What was with the sign "man + woman = one big lie"? Do people have to attack heterosexual marriage in order to promote gay marriage? :confused:

fisharmor
07-20-2010, 08:32 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthusiast

Once you step outside the southern United States, once you step outside the Huckabee narrative, you find out that within Christendom this sort of thing is rare and usually shunned.

There are honest intellectual arguments as to whether the text of Scripture or an apostolic succession holds primary sway in Christianity - but both of those camps are pretty sure to grimace at what's in this video. If individual inspiration is paramount, then there's no functional difference between what you see here, and moving to Guyana and taking that cup of Flavor Aid.

itshappening
07-20-2010, 08:40 AM
it's like something out of the exorcist

jmdrake
07-20-2010, 08:44 AM
I don't care if its out of the twilight zone. If that's what helps him feel empowered to stand up to a crowd of adversarial protesters, more power to him. Now if he'll just channel some of that energy against the neocons.

YumYum
07-20-2010, 09:09 AM
I don't care if its out of the twilight zone. If that's what helps him feel empowered to stand up to a crowd of adversarial protesters, more power to him. Now if he'll just channel some of that energy against the neocons.

So, "Power of persuasion" rules? I think Hitler would agree.

JeNNiF00F00
07-20-2010, 09:10 AM

hes speaking in tongues.

jmdrake
07-20-2010, 09:13 AM
So, "Power of persuasion" rules? I think Hitler would agree.

:rolleyes: You fail. Godwin's law. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law)

YumYum
07-20-2010, 09:13 AM
hes speaking in tongues.

There is a medication for that disability.

jmdrake
07-20-2010, 09:15 AM
There is a medication for that disability.

Feeling empowered to stand up to crowds of people that probably hate you is hardly a disability. And before you throw out another silly "Hitler" quip, Hilter had the crowds on his side.

YumYum
07-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Feeling empowered to stand up to crowds of people that probably hate you is hardly a disability. And before you throw out another silly "Hitler" quip, Hilter had the crowds on his side.

John, you are a reasonable person. Do you really believe in speaking in tongues?

jmdrake
07-20-2010, 09:47 AM
John, you are a reasonable person. Do you really believe in speaking in tongues?

The way this guys doing it? No. It's illogical and unbiblical. I don't believe in a lucky rabbit's foot either. But if a lucky rabbit's foot convinces someone that he has the power to stand up to an adversarial crowd with nothing but someone patting him on the back for support, more power to him. That takes guts.

Look at it another way. Lot's of people here have been complaining lately about the NAACP calling the tea parties "racist". Would anyone be willing to go to the next big MLK day rally near them and pass out a pamphlet titled "The tea parties are not racist and here's why"? We're all able to talk all big and bad behind a keyboard or when we have our own crowd to back us up. How many of us our willing to go out two by two onto the "enemy's" ground and peacefully confront him? I admire the power. I think it's misplaced. Even from the standpoint of "fighting homosexuality" it's misplaced. Christians should concentrate on offering redemption to those that want it as opposed to artificial legal restrictions. And small government Christians should seek to reduce government involvement in marriage period so that the argument about government "benefiting" marriage goes away. (The government takes everybody's taxes by force, allow some "benefits" based on marital status, and act like they're doing marriage a favor).

But this movement could use such power. Two people willing to go up by themselves to some pro war rally holding this image with the caption "What would Jesus do here?" and offering a prayer.

http://www.worldsfamousphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/iraqi_prisoner_and_son.jpg

fisharmor
07-20-2010, 10:00 AM
hes speaking in tongues.

No, this is more properly termed glossolalia.
Scriptural speaking in tongues involved preaching to foreigners in their own language. The inherent purpose in it was to convey a message.
Glossolalia as seen here is unintelligible to everyone, including the speaker.

YumYum
07-20-2010, 10:03 AM
But this movement could use such power. Two people willing to go up by themselves to some pro war rally holding this image with the caption "What would Jesus do here?" and offering a prayer.

http://www.worldsfamousphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/iraqi_prisoner_and_son.jpg

You need to read "Secret Mark". It was in the book of Mark and the Catholic Church pulled it out. It will blow your mind. Jesus didn't hate homosexuals. The unmarried Apostle Paul did.

jmdrake
07-20-2010, 10:17 AM
You need to read "Secret Mark". It was in the book of Mark and the Catholic Church pulled it out. It will blow your mind. Jesus didn't hate homosexuals. The unmarried Apostle Paul did.

I'm not sure what that has to do with my acknowledging the power to two men willing to stand up by themselves against a crowd. :confused:

Anyway, if the "secret gospel of Mark" condoned homosexuality then it contradicts the old testament and it should have been thrown out. Jesus clearly said "I seek not to destroy the law or the prophets but to fulfill". So I doubt the book that your referring to would have the effect on me that you think it might. Further it's possible to keep homosexuality in the "sin" category without hating homosexuals. Take the response of Jesus to the woman caught in adultery. He told those who were ready to kill here "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone". (Note they brought the woman to stone her, but didn't bring the man she was caught with.) After this woman's accusers left, Jesus told the woman "Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more". That is the response that Christians are supposed to have to sins that don't involve violence or fraud. Christians are neither to condemn nor to condone, but merely to offer love and redemption to all who want it.

jmdrake
07-20-2010, 10:21 AM
No, this is more properly termed glossolalia.
Scriptural speaking in tongues involved preaching to foreigners in their own language. The inherent purpose in it was to convey a message.
Glossolalia as seen here is unintelligible to everyone, including the speaker.

^This. But those who practice it call it "speaking in unknown tongue." That's why I said it was both ubiblical and illogical. (What's the point of speaking in a tongue that nobody understands including the speaker?) Yet it's other people's personal belief and they are entitled to it. I still say the most important question is, what will it take for each of us to feel empowered to stand up to large adversarial crowds and proclaim our message? Is anybody with me for carrying a "Bush = Obama" or a "pro life = anti war" sign to the next big tea party?

YumYum
07-20-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure what that has to do with my acknowledging the power to two men willing to stand up by themselves against a crowd. :confused:

Anyway, if the "secret gospel of Mark" condoned homosexuality then it contradicts the old testament and it should have been thrown out. Jesus clearly said "I seek not to destroy the law or the prophets but to fulfill". So I doubt the book that your referring to would have the effect on me that you think it might. Further it's possible to keep homosexuality in the "sin" category without hating homosexuals. Take the response of Jesus to the woman caught in adultery. He told those who were ready to kill here "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone". (Note they brought the woman to stone her, but didn't bring the man she was caught with.) After this woman's accusers left, Jesus told the woman "Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more". That is the response that Christians are supposed to have to sins that don't involve violence or fraud. Christians are neither to condemn nor to condone, but merely to offer love and redemption to all who want it.

There is a lot of things that Jesus contested in the Hebrew Bible. One of them was divorce. There is nothing Jesus said that condemns homosexuality. He forgave whores; why wouldn't he forgive homosexuals?

fisharmor
07-20-2010, 10:37 AM

Which "Secret Mark" are you talking about - the one Clement supposedly wrote about in the Mar Saba letter, or the corrupted copy that was used by Carpocratian Gnostic heretics?

Did you mean to write little-c catholic, intending to convey that the pre-1054 unified church pulled it out, or are you referring to the post-schism Catholic Church, implying that this text existed for a thousand years (yet we don't seem to have a copy)?

I'm sure after reading the book you can offer me a quick example of how Paul hated homosexuals... or where anyone claimed that Jesus did.

Fact is, nobody needs a reason to reject Christianity. When they start engaging in Gnostic revivalism, it goes beyond rejection and into the realm of partisan attack.

That's why I said it was both ubiblical and illogical.
Totally ditto... I just got my post in after you.

Is anybody with me for carrying a "Bush = Obama" or a "pro life = anti war" sign to the next big tea party?

If you're going to one near DC, I'll happily do it.

fisharmor
07-20-2010, 10:40 AM
There is a lot of things that Jesus contested in the Hebrew Bible. One of them was divorce. There is nothing Jesus said that condemns homosexuality. He forgave whores; why wouldn't he forgive homosexuals?

He forgave repentant whores.
Repentant homosexuals are also forgiven.

BlackTerrel
07-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Christians have rights to FYI. He has a right to be there like anyone else.

YumYum
07-20-2010, 11:03 AM
He forgave repentant whores.
Repentant homosexuals are also forgiven.

Wrong. The whore in John 8:1-11 didn't repentant, and yet Jesus still forgave her.

Jesus didn't get involved in people's bedrooms. Paul does. Paul had issues.

fisharmor
07-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Wrong. The whore in John 8:1-11 didn't repentant, and yet Jesus still forgave her.

Jesus didn't get involved in people's bedrooms. Paul does. Paul had issues.

The word "forgive" doesn't appear in John 8. I only checked KJV, NKJV, ESV, ASV, and NIV.

So I see this is a fruitless conversation, pun intended.

YumYum
07-20-2010, 11:22 AM
The word "forgive" doesn't appear in John 8. I only checked KJV, NKJV, ESV, ASV, and NIV.

So I see this is a fruitless conversation, pun intended.

Exactly. Jesus forgave her and she didn't even repent. What does that tell you about Jesus???

jmdrake
07-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Exactly. Jesus forgave her and she didn't even repent. What does that tell you about Jesus???

That he doesn't want people to continue living a life of sin?

9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"

11"No one, sir," she said.
"Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

Would you be ok with the pastor in this video yelling on a bullhorn "I don't condemn thee! Now go and leave thy life of sin!". Heck, as far as you know that could have been what he was saying when he was "speaking in tongues". :p For the record, someone leaving his or her life of sin is the definition of repentance. So Jesus was admonishing the woman to repent.

BlackTerrel
07-20-2010, 03:07 PM

I wrote something out but honestly I can't get into it with you. You strike me as incredibly disingenuous and just take positions for the heck of it.

I am not sure what the issue with this guy is and by the way the majority of Americans oppose gay marriage.

Reason
07-20-2010, 03:13 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon2.gif Thomas Jefferson's thoughts on religion...
"The truth is that the greatest enemies to the doctrines of Jesus are those calling themselves the expositors of them, who have perverted them for the structure of a system of fancy absolutely incomprehensible, and without any foundation in his genuine words.

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.

But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this the most venerated reformer of human errors."