PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Paul NOT taking matching funds!

sunny
10-15-2007, 12:35 PM
a friend and fellow dr. paul supporter phoned HQ this morning and spoke with brandon........she asked specifically if dr. paul was taking the matching funds and was told NO!

KewlRonduderules
10-15-2007, 12:36 PM
good!

:)

Elwar
10-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Principles...a rarity in Washington these days.

Bradley in DC
10-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Not to quibble over language, but everyone knows Dr. Paul "is not taking matching funds." The important question is if he is going to take them or not. Personally, I see pros and cons to both choices.

kylejack
10-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Not to quibble over language, but everyone knows Dr. Paul "is not taking matching funds." The important question is if he is going to take them or not. Personally, I see pros and cons to both choices.

Too many cons, and too severe.

smtwngrl
10-15-2007, 12:45 PM
If Ron Paul was considering taking matching funds, I think they would have said he wasn't currently taking them, but might consider it.

LibertyEagle
10-15-2007, 12:47 PM

By the way, he said he was not going to take matching funds in the New York private fundraiser videos too.

TVMH
10-15-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't have a problem with him taking funds that were given voluntarily (i.e., that $1 check-box on the tax return forms).

I do have a problem with him taking taxpayer money (I imagine he does too :D ).

jj111
I think he should take the matching funds if necessary to stay in the debates. If so, he should publicize that he will not spend it, put it into escrow, and promise to give it back to Treasury with interest at the end of the campaign.

kylejack
I think he should take the matching funds if necessary to stay in the debates. If so, he should publicize that he will not spend it, put it into escrow, and promise to give it back to Treasury with interest at the end of the campaign.

Silliness. It would tie his hands in the early primary states.

jj111

That would give him tens of millions in free media publicity.

TVMH
10-15-2007, 12:52 PM
In addition to my previous post, I would qualify my ambivalence to him accepting voluntary funds if the legislation enabling him to do so is, indeed, constitutional. :)

jj111
10-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Silliness. It would tie his hands in the early primary states.

If that is true, then of course they should not do that. I forgot about that issue, it was explained earlier on this board. Care to refresh my memory what the restrictions would be? How do the other candidates do so well with those restrictions?

Primbs
10-15-2007, 02:35 PM
I don't think the others will do well with the restrictions. Reagan in 1980 had problems with going over the allocated amount for New Hampshire.

Bush in 2000 didn't use the funds because he was facing Steve Forbes who could put in lots of money.

Man I hate red tape. But for those who want to start reading here is a link to the FEC.

Enjoy.

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/pubfund.shtml#Expenditure_Limits

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/pubfund_limits_2007.shtml

kylejack
10-15-2007, 02:37 PM
If that is true, then of course they should not do that. I forgot about that issue, it was explained earlier on this board. Care to refresh my memory what the restrictions would be? How do the other candidates do so well with those restrictions?

Can only spend $200K in primary state. If I recall correctly, he's already spent $430K on an ad buy in New Hampshire, so he may have already blocked himself from taking matching. Does that seem right, anyone?

Falseflagop
10-15-2007, 02:43 PM
that his son suggested he take the Matching Funds and then deliver the check to Paulson at the Treasury to pay down the debt PRICELESS!

texasbelle
10-15-2007, 03:35 PM
This may be a dumb question, but what are matching funds and where do they come from??? :o :o :o

Hurricane Bruiser
10-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Matching funds come from the general treasury and when filing taxes, people have a box they can check if they want $3 to go to that fund. Checking that box neither increases nor decreases the tax burden and so thus it comes from general revenues and not just from those people who want to see a federal matching program.

EvoPro
10-15-2007, 03:40 PM
but they come with restrictions on how much you can spend in each state.

Bradley in DC
10-15-2007, 03:41 PM
but they come with restrictions on how much you can spend in each state.

they also lower the bar on requirements to get on the ballot in some states.

texasbelle
10-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Thank you HB. I know what box you are talking about! :) :)

aksmith
10-15-2007, 04:30 PM
I really like the idea that he take them, then either give them to the government to pay down the debt, or better yet, donate them to a couple of private charities.

That money, after all, will be spent on some other boondoggle if Dr. Paul doesn't take it and put it to better use.

terlinguatx
10-15-2007, 04:39 PM

terlinguatx
10-15-2007, 04:41 PM

0zzy
10-15-2007, 04:51 PM
He should take the matching funds,

and put it all towards the national debt.

literatim
10-15-2007, 05:13 PM
If it binds his hands on how much money he can spend per state, he shouldn't take the matching funds.

werdd
10-15-2007, 05:14 PM
god, RP is the man! in the face of greed he says hell no.

max
10-15-2007, 05:21 PM
THAT IS RETARDED!!!!!

In other words, RP is deliberately putting himself at a disadvantage in order to prove some petty ideological point.

The system is what it is. First you must win...then you change the rules.

Imagine a college baseball coach who wants to get rid of those highly potent aluminum bats and go back to wooden bats. To prove his point, his hitters use wooden bats only and they get clobbered by the opposing teams metal bats.

How stupid. The coach should have worked within the system to get the aluminum bats banned, THEN allowed his team to use the less potent wooden ones.

I've been breaking my ass for this campaign for months but shit like this makes me wonder if this guy is electable.

We have the media against us and we're up against guys who can raise 50-60 million bucks....and we're turning down matching funds????? It's not like its friggin food stamps!

Why????

Please tell me there is a strategic reason for this that I dont know about.

Matt Collins
10-15-2007, 05:46 PM
a friend and fellow dr. paul supporter phoned HQ this morning and spoke with brandon........she asked specifically if dr. paul was taking the matching funds and was told NO!My problem is people bothering HQ with such inane and petty questions as this!

They don't even have the ability to take phone calls for media requests they are so swamped. Tying up a line and a person at HQfor something like this is pretty irresponsible IMO.

Ron Paul Fan
10-15-2007, 05:59 PM
I strongly support Congressman Paul's decision and would never call him retarded. I think it's a good move not to accept the matching funds because it limits spending in key states. The people who want him to take the matching funds are the ones who criticized himfor not spending more money in the early primary states. I can imagine it now. Congressman Paul takes the matching funds and then cannot spend money in New Hampshire. People on the forum go crazy that he's not spending enough money to win and they will be the same people who told him to take the matching funds! That's how it works around here. Look at all of the Tucker on Bill Maher threads. Tucker went from our biggest ally to public enemy #1 in a matter of weeks! And people accuse Mitt Romney of flip flopping...

KingTheoden
10-15-2007, 06:01 PM
I really, REALLY respect Ron Paul for this, assuming this information is correct in that he will not take matching funds. As you know, I have been vocally supportive of the idea to use matching funds (as long as the spending restrictions were not significant).

The decision to refuse funds demonstrates that the campaign believes the extra money will not be needed or will not make a difference given the litany of federal spending rules. I tend to think it is the former and I can only express great happiness at this. 'Lady Liberty' is past $900k tonight - by my estimates (conservative as usual), I tend to expect around $2.3-2.5 million total (Internet + traditional) contributions for October, a very respectable number.

I also anticipate the pace of contributions increasing as Autumn progresses.

As for the idea to take the funds and pay down the debt- would be great but then the campaign would still be under FEC spending rules. And the media would probably 'forget' to report what Ron Paul did with the matching funds. Good thinking though!

Benaiah
10-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Max,

I work full time, go to school full time, and am active in my church 3 days a week. I don't sleep 1 day a week, and other nights I only get 3 or 4 hours a sleep. Even with this schedule, I manage to spend 1-3 hours a day busting my butt trying to spread the word about Ron Paul in my area.

If Ron Paul took matching funds, it would change my perspective of him-- I wouldn't see him as the rock-solid man that sticks to his word no matter what.

Paul has stated that if patients came in to have a baby, he wouldn't accept government-funding to help them pay for the delivery. He would work something out with them, or deliver it for free. There is no way that Ron Paul is going to accept taxpayer money to help him get elected.

It's things like not taking public funding that attracts me to Ron Paul. It's stuff like that that makes me sacrifice sleep and instead spend my time spreading the word about him.

Something else, guys. If he did accept matching funds, then there is a limit on the amount of money that he can raise for the primaries. I believe it's 20 million dollars.

0zzy
10-15-2007, 06:22 PM
He should take the matching funds,

and put it all towards the national debt.

Omg Brent, that would be such a great idea! He'd get 5million in advertising right back!

Proemio
10-15-2007, 06:28 PM

Why????

For the same reason he doesn't taylor his message to the audience?

I firmly believe that it is the priceless energy that will win this thing. The establishment with their Toms, Dicks and Jane can outdo everything else with ease.

It's because people have confidence in what Paul sais and stands for, that people like you make millions of dollars worth of efforts. That confidence comes from being principled to a fault, in my view.

Also, remember that the matching found system was established by an act of Congress. When was the last time Congress enacted anything to further the well-being of the Constitutional Republic, such as making elections more accessible? (except for Diebold instant selection ; ) That alone should give the proponents of matching funds pause...

jointhefightforfreedom
10-15-2007, 07:07 PM
THAT IS RETARDED!!!!!

In other words, RP is deliberately putting himself at a disadvantage in order to prove some petty ideological point.

The system is what it is. First you must win...then you change the rules.

Imagine a college baseball coach who wants to get rid of those highly potent aluminum bats and go back to wooden bats. To prove his point, his hitters use wooden bats only and they get clobbered by the opposing teams metal bats.

How stupid. The coach should have worked within the system to get the aluminum bats banned, THEN allowed his team to use the less potent wooden ones.

I've been breaking my ass for this campaign for months but shit like this makes me wonder if this guy is electable.

We have the media against us and we're up against guys who can raise 50-60 million bucks....and we're turning down matching funds????? It's not like its friggin food stamps!

Why????

/agree!

I am ready to take up arms! Is that what it's gonna take?
I say we take up arms and run the idiots out of washington!

ppl think beyong the primaries too WHEN we win the primaries we have to compete with 80-120 Million in campaign funds prob more

Edward
11-19-2007, 07:22 PM
If this is true (i.e. that he will NOT take matching funds), I wonder if he will use this as an issue to separate him from some of the other candidates.

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-19-2007, 07:26 PM
sorry for not knowing but what are matching funds?

0zzy
11-19-2007, 07:34 PM
sorry for not knowing but what are matching funds?

In American politics the term matching funds refers to the money a presidential candidate is given by federal government to match the money they have raised personally. Candidates can expect up to $250 extra from public funds for each contribution from an individual they receive.

robertwerden
11-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Our taxes finance matching funds. If anyone should take them it should be Ron. I would feel allot better knowing my taxes were not being thrown away on the other candidates.

I am all for Ron taking the matching funds regardless if it is not ethical, it could mean he wins. That is all that matters to me. To squabble over this issue and watch our country fall into the hands of someone else is pointless.

austin356
11-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Why is it that most on here seem not to understand how the matching funds system works? Please dont comment with retarded ideas such as "symbolic charity donations" and things like that if you dont know how the system works.

noztnac
11-22-2007, 05:11 AM
Falseflagop posted

"RON PAUL said in NYC over the weekend at the Private event
that his son suggested he take the Matching Funds and then deliver the check to Paulson at the Treasury to pay down the debt PRICELESS!"

That's a brilliant idea!!!!!!!

noztnac
11-22-2007, 05:15 AM
He could take the matching funds and:

1) hand the check over to pay the national debt.
2) Buy some body armor for those Humvees to protect the troops who are unprotected and in a no win war
3) Give the money to Iraqi war veterans who were wounded
4) He could spend the entire amount taking out ads that show how corrupt and wasteful the US government has become

any other ideas?