PDA

View Full Version : If public roads are feasable why are public roads reverting back to nature?

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-20-2010, 01:24 AM
The number of county road agencies in the state returning paved roads to gravel due to financial concerns has more than tripled over the past three years, according to the County Road Association of Michigan.

Thirty-eight counties have returned more than 100 miles of paved roads to gravel, about 35 miles in 2009 alone, according to CRAM, which this week released results of its annual survey on Michigan’s county road and bridge network.

Officials in some of Minnesota's counties are allowing lesser used hard surfaced roads to revert to gravel surfaces due to declining funds.

Douglas county engineer Dave Robley said the decision reflects an overall decline of the 45,000 miles of county roads and highways in the state.

Frederick Wachtel, county engineer in Coshocton County, Ohio, says his budget, largely driven by fuel taxes and vehicle registration fees, was off 5% last year, the first decline in nearly 20 years. He is now letting some of his roads return to nature.

Anyone?

libertybrewcity
07-20-2010, 01:30 AM
they're not feasible.

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-20-2010, 05:06 AM
anyone else?

buffalokid777
07-20-2010, 05:28 AM
because rural roads that may have a few homes in a many mile stretch, that are rarely used except by those who live on that road, why should they be paved if gravel is cheaper? It's not happening on high use roads (Show me one interstate returning to gravel), that's for sure. And say you wanted to have a private company pave and maintain a 10 mile road with 20 families on it and collect tolls on it, could you imagine what the tolls would be? I think all 20 families would say they prefer the gravel road and no tolls than a private paved road and tolls. I mean have you ever been to a rural area? This is plain logic and common sense.

noxagol
07-20-2010, 06:14 AM
There was one road here where I live that was paved with asphalt, then painted, and was done really well. Then they ruined it by tarring and chipping it, which makes absolutely no fucking sense. It sees decent use as well.

libertybrewcity
07-20-2010, 01:40 PM
because rural roads that may have a few homes in a many mile stretch, that are rarely used except by those who live on that road, why should they be paved if gravel is cheaper? It's not happening on high use roads (Show me one interstate returning to gravel), that's for sure. And say you wanted to have a private company pave and maintain a 10 mile road with 20 families on it and collect tolls on it, could you imagine what the tolls would be? I think all 20 families would say they prefer the gravel road and no tolls than a private paved road and tolls. I mean have you ever been to a rural area? This is plain logic and common sense.

good point. I was always wondering about this myself. If 20 companies bought the one road that you and a thousand other people take to work and decide to charge 5 a toll making your total 100 bucks a day..

Flash
07-20-2010, 02:16 PM

So I should have to pay money so you and others can live in the middle of nowhere, even if you can't afford it? I shouldn't have to support your decisions.

libertybrewcity
07-20-2010, 02:23 PM
So I should have to pay money so you and others can live in the middle of nowhere, even if you can't afford it? I shouldn't have to support your decisions.

yea, what if they are 20 farmers that supply the local farmers market with food?

silverhandorder
07-20-2010, 02:34 PM
yea, what if they are 20 farmers that supply the local farmers market with food?

And we support them by buying their shit. Both profit. As such I owe them nothing.

John Taylor
07-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I grew up running barefoot on gravel roads...I'm all in favor of them.

fisharmor
07-20-2010, 02:43 PM
I was driving to the library last week and pointed this out to my wife when making a left turn...
To the left of us was the county-owned median, which had 3-4 foot weeds growing out of the control joints in the concrete.
To the right of us was a privately owned shopping center, with immaculately cut grass, fresh mulch, ornamental grasses, and flowers.
Within 30 feet of each other.

silverhandorder
07-20-2010, 03:21 PM
I was driving to the library last week and pointed this out to my wife when making a left turn...
To the left of us was the county-owned median, which had 3-4 foot weeds growing out of the control joints in the concrete.
To the right of us was a privately owned shopping center, with immaculately cut grass, fresh mulch, ornamental grasses, and flowers.

That is exactly how it feels when you cross from Russia to Europe.

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-20-2010, 07:01 PM

If public roads are feasible and in the interest of public health, safety, and general welfare why does a cost difference between gravel or asphalt matter?

Number19
07-20-2010, 07:29 PM
If public roads are feasible and in the interest of public health, safety, and general welfare why does a cost difference between gravel or asphalt matter?Elected officials and bureaucrats should not make decisions based on "public health, safety, and general welfare". If the citizens of Michigan decide to tolerate a certain level of "taxation" for the purpose of road building and maintenance, then the government should be fiscally responsible and prioritize the spending of the available revenue.

But question : Are "fuel taxes" a tax or a user fee? You are not "forced" to pay this "tax".

axiomata
07-20-2010, 07:35 PM
If public roads are feasable why are public roads reverting back to nature?

Entropy.

Anti Federalist
07-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Meh, me, personally, I'd like to see all the secondary roads go back to dirt.

Keeps annoying tourists, leaf peepers and busybodies away.

tangent4ronpaul
07-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Would you rather have all that "immaculately cut grass, fresh mulch, ornamental grasses, and flowers" or pay 5% less on purchases made in that shopping center? After all, the management is going to charge the shops for it, who will pass the costs onto you.

Would you rather see wildlife - birds, bunnies, foxes, etc. in that "overgrown" section or a "pretty" manicured section - hostile to wildlife.

If there is a factory set back on the county side, would you rather have pretty flowers - to the accompaniment of 80Db noise or a sound and visual barrier?

On cost - don't hire companies to do it that use union labor and raise funds locally, rather than letting the feds take it via taxes, keep part and "give" some of it back to you with strings attached?

As to keeping areas pretty and trash free - what's wrong with community volunteer efforts? If the locals care about it, it will happen.

-t

Live_Free_Or_Die
07-20-2010, 08:57 PM
But question : Are "fuel taxes" a tax or a user fee? You are not "forced" to pay this "tax".

Can I travel in my own solar charged, battery powered personal property on the public right of way without fear of persecution?

Number19
07-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Can I travel in my own solar charged, battery powered personal property on the public right of way without fear of persecution?No. You'd be trespassing on private property. The owners would have to determine what payment for road use would need to be implemented for vehicles propelled by new technology. This would be true whether the owners were a private corporation or a public corporation.