PDA

View Full Version : Larry Hagman – “LSD led me to the white light”

idirtify
07-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Larry Hagman just said on Joy Behar that his LSD experience led him to the “white light” and got rid of his fear of death, and that every politician should be required to take it. It was funny because Joy was asking him about his life’s regrets and was trying to lead him into a suggestion. He totally turned it around. Larry was absolutely shining during this interview.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-19-2010, 11:11 PM
The fear of death is one of the very few restraints on politicians. Why would we want to get rid of that? I also would not recommend people to take LSD.

idirtify
07-19-2010, 11:24 PM
The fear of death is one of the very few restraints on politicians. Why would we want to get rid of that? I also would not recommend people to take LSD.

Yes well that’s probably not the best translation of Larry’s comment. Somehow I doubt his experience taught him “a lack of fear of initiating aggression against others”.

idirtify
07-19-2010, 11:27 PM
To elaborate on Larry’s comment:
Joy asked him if his experience had “stuck” (with him) all these years. He said “oh yes”.

CasualApathy
07-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Wow... umm. That's kinda... yea..

ClayTrainor
07-19-2010, 11:37 PM
To elaborate on Larry’s comment:
Joy asked him if his experience had “stuck” (with him) all these years. He said “oh yes”.

Pretty typical...

In a scientific study on psilocybin mushrooms (very similar to LSD), over 60% of the people classified their experience as one of the top 5 experiences of their entire lives.

When psychedelics are done properly, the response is consistently and overwhelmingly positive, and the experience is one people often think about for the rest of their lives.

michaelwise
07-19-2010, 11:46 PM
He discovered Kymatica. DMT will do that to you also.

http://www.vimeo.com/user3075988

TheConstitutionLives
07-19-2010, 11:57 PM
I believe every human being should do psychedelics such as mushrooms, LSD, and ultimately DMT.

idirtify
07-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Pretty typical...

In a scientific study on psilocybin mushrooms (very similar to LSD), over 60% of the people classified their experience as one of the top 5 experiences of their entire lives.

When psychedelics are done properly, the response is consistently and overwhelmingly positive, and the experience is one people often think about for the rest of their lives.

Not coincidentally, Larry’s experience could be described as “done properly” and “overwhelmingly positive”. Also it was in the 60s before it was illegal, when that fact alone made for a better chance of an anxiety-free experience.
http://www.near-death.com/experiences/triggers04.html

Although the recent psilocybin study suggests the perfect anti-depressant, it remains Schedule ONE (and only regarded as only ever being suitable for terminally-ill patients).

eOs
07-20-2010, 12:09 AM
I believe every human being should do psychedelics such as mushrooms, LSD, and ultimately DMT.

Maybe not every human, but definitely those that can handle such substances. =] I've been trying to get Theocrat to do shrooms for awhile now, unsuccessfully..

TheConstitutionLives
07-20-2010, 12:11 AM
Maybe not every human, but definitely those that can handle such substances. =] I've been trying to get Theocrat to do shrooms for awhile now, unsuccessfully..

Fair enough. Every able-bodied human.

idirtify
07-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Maybe not every human, but definitely those that can handle such substances.

It may have less to do with “handling” and more to do with insuring good set and setting. IOW it’s just a matter of good technique. In that regard, way more people could benefit. OTOH you are correct in that there are some who, no matter the safeguards, would pee their pants and run in circles crying for mommy at the first sight of a real CEV (closed-eye visual / hallucination).:eek:

buffalokid777
07-20-2010, 05:21 AM

I don't, double digit IQ people can have very bad reactions, they can't tell reality and get scared and due crazy stuff sometimes.

But high IQ people tend to think outside the box. In the 90's I used to work for the Grateful Dead, so I had my share, but there is also a point of diminishing returns factor, where you usually outgrow it, like I did about 10 years ago.

YumYum
07-20-2010, 05:25 AM
I've been trying to get Theocrat to do shrooms for awhile now, unsuccessfully..

I can't quit laughing at this comment. This is funny!:D

YumYum
07-20-2010, 05:29 AM
I don't, double digit IQ people can have very bad reactions, they can't tell reality and get scared and due crazy stuff sometimes.

"Double digit IQ people". OMG! That is way too much! This has got me in stitches!!:D "Dumb people freak out on acid." I can't quit laughing. This is funny. Thanks for the humor.

buffalokid777
07-20-2010, 05:30 AM
"Double digit IQ people". OMG! That is way too much! This has got me in stitches!!:D "Dumb people freak out on acid." I can't quit laughing. This is funny. Thanks for the humor.

Trust me, as someone who spent a bunch of time in the culture while Jerry Garcia was alive, I seen it happen a plenty. Though not all the time.

YumYum
07-20-2010, 05:34 AM
Trust me, as someone who spent a bunch of time in the culture while Jerry Garcia was alive, I seen it happen a plenty. Though not all the time.

I believe you. Its just the way it sounds. I don't know if you meant it to be funny but your post had me on the floor.

MyLibertyStuff
07-20-2010, 06:32 AM
You would have to be stupid to die without trying and experiencing a psychedelic drug

Imaginos
07-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Actually DMT is much less harmful than Alcohol and Tobacco.
Heck, McDonald's and Burger King are more harmful than DMT!

michaelwise
07-20-2010, 08:29 AM
I believe every human being should do psychedelics such as mushrooms, LSD, and ultimately DMT.Well at least we agree on something.

ClayTrainor
07-20-2010, 08:31 AM

If DMT was harmful we'd be in big trouble, because our brains produce DMT on a daily basis, lol.

osan
07-20-2010, 08:51 AM

Very irresponsible statement. One size does not fit all. Some are good with it, some are very much not. It is a crap shoot. I had an acquaintance at UC Davis who, after taking his first hit off a regular joint, promptly freaked out and spent a year in a psych ward having his personality reconstructed. Turned out he had a rare but very serious allergic reaction to the THC.

This shit is nothing to toy with. It can be done without apocalyptic results, but such an outcome is ALWAYS a risk. That should be well understood and considered before adventuring.

osan
07-20-2010, 08:58 AM

D00d, really. This is not a good idea. Theo is wrapped a bit tightly in some ways. Tripping could destroy him. Might not, but fundamental states of mind can be crucial to the outcome of trips.

If you are going to try to get someone to do shit like that, at least have them begin with 5-MEO. It is a powerful entheogen, but with modest dosing the trip lasts only 10 minutes or so. You don't want someone freaking out on a 12-hour fry. That's just not right. I've seen it happen. Bad trips are WAY bad news. They change people for the worse forever.

acptulsa
07-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Maybe not every human, but definitely those that can handle such substances. =]

Thank you. And it has nothing to do with being 'able-bodied'.

Those prone to paranoia will never, ever get anything positive out of LSD. You'd think libertarians of all people would know better than to begin a sentence with 'every human being should...'

Kelly.
07-20-2010, 10:11 AM
when psychedelics are done properly, the response is consistently and overwhelmingly positive, and the experience is one people often think about for the rest of their lives.

when psychedelics are done properly, the response is consistently and overwhelmingly positive, and the experience is one people often think about for the rest of their lives.

:) :) :)

acptulsa
07-20-2010, 10:12 AM
:d :d :d

You be trippin'.

Kelly.
07-20-2010, 10:16 AM
^^^ damn youre quick. the big smiley wasnt working... :D

acptulsa
07-20-2010, 10:20 AM
^^^ damn youre quick. the big smiley wasnt working... :D

Just glad your bad trip turned good...

buffalokid777
07-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Very irresponsible statement. One size does not fit all. Some are good with it, some are very much not. It is a crap shoot. I had an acquaintance at UC Davis who, after taking his first hit off a regular joint, promptly freaked out and spent a year in a psych ward having his personality reconstructed. Turned out he had a rare but very serious allergic reaction to the THC.

This shit is nothing to toy with. It can be done without apocalyptic results, but such an outcome is ALWAYS a risk. That should be well understood and considered before adventuring.

I call BS,

There is no such thing,

Show me 1 public record of a fatality from THC, your friend most likely was sold something fake that resulted in what happened to them, that's the problem with prohibition.

Most people need to smoke THC 4-5 times before they can even feel it, I call BS!

What your friend smoked wasn't THC.

Romulus
07-20-2010, 10:27 AM
I knew some rather unstable people freak out off a couple hits of weed.. they couldn't handle it. In no way would I want them to trip on anything!

Seraphim
07-20-2010, 10:28 AM
I've done shrooms once in my last.

Far and wide the best night of my life.

First 90 minutes or so once the drugs hit were hilarious. The next 4 hours were the most peaceful, serene and clear minded hours of my life.

buffalokid777
07-20-2010, 10:30 AM

As someone who has had a DMT experience or two, it is NOT for everyone, it is VERY powerful, DMT is only meant for a certain type of free thinker.

THC is meant for all. Shrooms is like an associates Degree, LSD is like a Bachelors degree, and DMT is like a masters degree. I know plenty of people who should NEVER go near DMT.

buffalokid777
07-20-2010, 10:40 AM
I knew some rather unstable people freak out off a couple hits of weed.. they couldn't handle it. In no way would I want them to trip on anything!

I call BS, I have never heard of such a thing, most people who smoke weed need to smoke it 4-5 times before they can even feel it.

As I said before, your friends who had adverse reactions, used fake drugs, the problem with prohibition.

dannno
07-20-2010, 09:36 PM
All these people "freaking out" or "allergic" to THC could easily have had some buds with a bunch of pesticides or possibly even PCP.

As buffalokid777 has said, this is a result of prohibition, I wouldn't blame the plant.

Most people who do actually freak out on good herb are doing so because it is illegal and they are scared of what might happen. Another result of prohibition.

idirtify
07-20-2010, 09:46 PM

Maybe had less to do with IQ and more to do with the sucky music. :)

specsaregood
07-20-2010, 09:49 PM

I had never put it together like that, but now that you say that........it corresponds with my own experiences. The people that I saw have really bad trips were never the smartest folk in the group. Personally, I always had good ones and loved the stuff, but then became immune to the stuff. It really sucks when you just can't trip as nothing has any effect on you....oh well.

specsaregood
07-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Maybe had less to do with IQ and more to do with the sucky music. :)

You are clearly a member of that limited IQ group. :)

Romulus
07-20-2010, 10:19 PM
I call BS, I have never heard of such a thing, most people who smoke weed need to smoke it 4-5 times before they can even feel it.

As I said before, your friends who had adverse reactions, used fake drugs, the problem with prohibition.

Not BS. This one girl was unstable sober.. she had a serious complex.. big time issues.. smoking weed made her freak out... like everyone in the room was talking about her. lol! I would not recommend drugs for everyone.. some people cant handle letting go... as is the problem with the concept of liberty.

idirtify
07-21-2010, 12:08 AM
I think the sentiment “everyone should experience it” naturally implies a GOOD experience. Most skydivers say “everyone should experience skydiving”, yet they obviously aren’t talking about the freak-outs or accidents – nor are they met with quite the degree of disagreement. Like with skydiving, preparations for the other kind of free-fall are crucial. The examples of unfortunate accidents referenced here are obviously due to bad preparation (bad set and settings). All jokes aside, I can’t think of a worse choice than a Dead concert. For a better choice, refer to the psilocybin study or the Larry Hagman technique. The psychedelic truth probably is that the worse the “type of person”, the more the potential benefit; since it could be argued that the more FUed the person, the more the need for the therapeutic power of the hallucinogen – which was probably the ORIGINAL anti-depressant, going back at least tens of thousands of years (long enough to make it a basic requirement for standard sanity).

KurtBoyer25L
07-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Grateful Dead were good live, they improvised way out of the box and gave inspiration to genres of spontaneous composers. Their basic song forms are however trumped up as these psychedelic, advanced, trippy masterpieces by people who should know better. It's straightforward roots-rock and blues stuff.

I agree with dirtify & others that drugs are a very goose/gander type of thing. Look how many people have been hurt by abuse of alcohol, yet alcohol isn't *always* a bad choice and tons of people have had great experiences with it. It is cheering to see a "conservative" movement that is so pro-drugs! But personally, I stick to everything BUT alcohol and hallucinogens. I am told acid or shrooms "change you forever" and that is scary. I wanna make the best version of the person I am now, before moving on to another version.

BenIsForRon
07-21-2010, 06:56 AM
I am told acid or shrooms "change you forever" and that is scary. I wanna make the best version of the person I am now, before moving on to another version.

It doesn't change your personality significantly or anything, it just changes the way you think about the world. In a nutshell, you become more open-minded, about everything.

For example, there have been reports of success with giving psychedelics to terminal cancer patients, to help them come to terms with their death.

Dreamofunity
07-21-2010, 09:29 AM
I took too much acid, didn't exist, complete ego death, had a seisure, went to the hospital, was affected and had flash backs for close to two years afterwards, probably could have been considered paranoid schizophrenic during that time and barely spoke aloud. I use to have full blown acid trips from smoking weed for a while, probably still would but I quit. I'm pretty much better now, but it was definitely hard to go through, so be careful and know what you're getting into. My story is also not typical, so don't be scared away from it.

I'd do it again too. Regardless of the after effects, it was an amazing experience, one which in the end changed me for the better. I can't say for certain, but in some ways I would say my experience with LSD brought me to Ron Paul/libertarianism/non-agression principle.

idirtify
07-21-2010, 10:30 AM
there have been reports of success with giving psychedelics to terminal cancer patients, to help them come to terms with their death.

I think the “Medical-Industrial Complex” figures: “Why not give it too terminally-ill patients? They aren’t gonna be around long enough to be competition to the pharmaceutical industry anyway.” But the MIC better be careful, because entheogen experiences have been associated with the same kind of spiritual experiences that are known to affect miraculous overnight cures. Apparently there is a real immune response, of incredible power to heal, that can be triggered with these miraculous substances. And the MIC is scared to death that this will be more widely discovered.

So here it looks like we have a situation where the reason a substance is being oppressed is precisely because it is so efficacious - the ultimate crime in terms of the Hippocratic Oath (of course the whole dynamic behind the MIC is contrary to the values of the HO).

idirtify
07-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I took too much acid, didn't exist, complete ego death, had a seisure, went to the hospital, was affected and had flash backs for close to two years afterwards, probably could have been considered paranoid schizophrenic during that time and barely spoke aloud. I use to have full blown acid trips from smoking weed for a while, probably still would but I quit. I'm pretty much better now, but it was definitely hard to go through, so be careful and know what you're getting into. My story is also not typical, so don't be scared away from it.

I'd do it again too. Regardless of the after effects, it was an amazing experience, one which in the end changed me for the better. I can't say for certain, but in some ways I would say my experience with LSD brought me to Ron Paul/libertarianism/non-agression principle.

There are lots of experiences which are like yours in that they were both terrifying and beneficial, where they produced both PTSD symptoms (flashbacks, etc) and healthier outlooks. But the point of proper set and setting is that the anxiety overload is not necessary. And without it, the benefits can be greater.

ClayTrainor
07-21-2010, 11:11 AM
. I can't say for certain, but in some ways I would say my experience with LSD brought me to Ron Paul/libertarianism/non-agression principle.

I think there is a lot of truth to this. You get exposed to the true beauty of Natural Laws, and Natural Order, when having a psychedelic experience. When this happens, it's hard not to realize that true individual freedom is what we all desire for ourselves and those we care about. To me, It's a lesson in empathy.

Experiences are always subjective though, and this is just mine. :)

BenIsForRon
07-21-2010, 11:12 AM
I made the huge mistake of going to an anti-war protest at the pentagon while on acid. Riot cops with M-16's and everything blocking the bridge to the pentagon. At one point they pointed some tear gas canisters but didn't fire. All this imagery really worked on my subconscious and I had a pretty bad freak-out towards the end of the protest.

So yeah, proper set and setting are crucial. For me, that means only tripping at a house/apartment, outdoors, and maybe a concert/festival.

ClayTrainor
07-21-2010, 11:19 AM
I made the huge mistake of going to an anti-war protest at the pentagon while on acid. Riot cops with M-16's and everything blocking the bridge to the pentagon. At one point they pointed some tear gas canisters but didn't fire. All this imagery really worked on my subconscious and I had a pretty bad freak-out towards the end of the protest.

:eek: Wow... that was definitely not the proper way to do psychedelics. :D

That's intense man.

So yeah, proper set and setting are crucial. For me, that means only tripping at a house/apartment, outdoors, and maybe a concert/festival.

Yea, I think a Natural Setting is probably the best way to have a psychedelic experience. The best trip I've ever had was when I went camping with some friends, and we ate some mushrooms. You really feel a profound connection with Nature, when you're tripping with it.

I don't think I could ever trip where there is a large crowd of people, and enjoy it.

Tripping in your house/apartment is okay too, but it's usually not quite as enlightening as watching the living breathing world, do it's thing. :)

Clairvoyant
07-21-2010, 11:23 AM

Oh my god, this thread is about LSD and you bring up THC? You can bring random fear and death up to try and scare people from trying *anything*. My g/fs father has a rare allergy to fish, the first time he tried eating fish he nearly died, just touching fish is very harmful and risky for him.

OMG DON'T TRY FISH ANYONE, IT'S A CRAP SHOOT

idirtify
07-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Tripping in your house/apartment is okay too, but it's usually not quite as enlightening as watching the living breathing world, do it's thing. :)

Well OOH anything you choose to do with it is fine, but you could be missing the main boat by not GOING INSIDE. I mean it’s fine as an enhancement to external perception, but it’s a whole other world as an enhancement to an inner vision quest. Therein lays the reason a boring setting indoors is preferable, where it’s easier to control unexpected interruptions that require your response. IMO the inner environment is what it’s all about.

dannno
07-21-2010, 11:36 AM

Wow, what a horrible idea!! I probably would have done the same thing, lol

Places I've tripped that were really fun (most of these, including the mountain top shot, from actual perspective):

http://ih2.redbubble.net/work.611900.5.flat,550x550,075,f.tranquility-a-section-in-bacara-beach-in-santa-barbara-california.jpg

http://www.carto.net/neumann/travelling/joshua_tree_np_gettys_2003_11/27_joshua_tree_and_rock_formations.jpg

http://www.redbubble.com/images/clear.gif

http://www.stgeorgeutahrentals.com/images/zion-national-park-5.jpg

(not me, just some random dude.. it does take a few days to backpack into this place, though)
http://www.gossamergear.com/gossamergear/images/gg_trip_photos/San_Rafael_2007/2Jake_Manzana_River.jpg
http://www.lpfw.org/pics/SanRafaelWildernessBetter.JPG

Getty Museum:

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/2671285-The_Getty_Museum_and_Gardens_in_full_splendor-Los_Angeles.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/12/af/93/j-paul-getty-center.jpg

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/gogh/irises/gogh.irises.jpg

http://www.you-are-here.com/sculpture/getty_museum.jpg

dannno
07-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Also really fun was a Radiohead concert..

Halloween in IV?? Meh.. not so great, would usually end up hiking out in the woods or on the beach while everybody partied.

dannno
07-21-2010, 11:45 AM
The Getty Museum was pretty nuts, it was fun watching all the paintings come to life.. as in, if you were looking at a painting of a bunch of people in a township, you could suddenly see them going around town doing their thing.. often times a vivid story would accompany all of the actions, it was like dreaming or something, it was incredible.

I went into a room that had one other person and about 30 paintings and photographs all around. I went over and started staring at one of them and tripped on it for about 10 minutes. Next thing you know, I turn around expecting the room to be empty.. there are about 8 people standing behind me looking at the same damn painting I was looking at... and NOBODY ELSE WAS IN THE ROOM.. they were just like, "what is he looking at?" then everybody else was like "what are they looking at?" next thing you know everybody is all gathered around.. would have been pretty sweet to have the museum to myself, I have to admit.. but I think that would be pretty expensive.

Shrooms are pretty damn amazing. True gift from God or our creator or aliens or random chemistry related to our evolution or something... who knows..

ClayTrainor
07-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Well OOH anything you choose to do with it is fine, but you could be missing the main boat by not GOING INSIDE. I mean it’s fine as an enhancement to external perception, but it’s a whole other world as an enhancement to an inner vision quest.Therein lays the reason a boring setting indoors is preferable, where it’s easier to control unexpected interruptions that require your response. IMO the inner environment is what it’s all about.

You make a good point, gotta keep my mind open. :)

There are certainly many reasons as to why an indoor setting can be preferable. The most value you can probably gain from a trip, is to take the time to analyze the self from an alternate perspective, and meditate without interruption.

When having an experience indoors, there usually comes a point in time that I look out a window, see some nature in action and get the burning desire to go out and be with it.

There a lot of value in taking a look into the external world I think, and trying to understand what kind of relationship you have to the various elements on this giant ball that we spawned out of. Much like staying indoors, it's important to try to limit unexpected interruptions, and potentially coercive environments.

ClayTrainor
07-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Places I've tripped that were really fun (most of these, including the mountain top shot, from actual perspective):

http://ih2.redbubble.net/work.611900.5.flat,550x550,075,f.tranquility-a-section-in-bacara-beach-in-santa-barbara-california.jpg

http://www.carto.net/neumann/travelling/joshua_tree_np_gettys_2003_11/27_joshua_tree_and_rock_formations.jpg

http://www.redbubble.com/images/clear.gif

http://www.stgeorgeutahrentals.com/images/zion-national-park-5.jpg

(not me, just some random dude.. it does take a few days to backpack into this place, though)
http://www.gossamergear.com/gossamergear/images/gg_trip_photos/San_Rafael_2007/2Jake_Manzana_River.jpg
http://www.lpfw.org/pics/SanRafaelWildernessBetter.JPG

Getty Museum:

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/2671285-The_Getty_Museum_and_Gardens_in_full_splendor-Los_Angeles.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/12/af/93/j-paul-getty-center.jpg

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/gogh/irises/gogh.irises.jpg

http://www.you-are-here.com/sculpture/getty_museum.jpg

I'm jealous man. Those are amazing sites. Were they all positive experiences?

dannno
07-21-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm jealous man. Those are amazing sites. Were they all positive experiences?

Yep, all very positive shroom experiences.. never done a trip like that with acid, i've spent some time in nature on acid, though.. but there's something about shrooms that is different.

I've found you can do all that 'get into your internal self' stuff outdoors if there isn't anybody around, except perhaps a tripping partner or small group, cause everybody usually goes off on their own anyway.. but I've also spent some time indoors on shrooms, that can be positive as well.. I really like all the external stimuli when I'm tripping, especially nature, although the getty was pretty crazy.

Kelly.
07-21-2010, 01:05 PM
awesome thread :D

will read again!