PDA

View Full Version : Losing All Credibility: NAACP calls Cleveland, Ohio's Police Response Racist

FrankRep
07-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Investigator Exclusive: NAACP calls city's police response racist (http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=140523&catid=3)

WKYC News
July 19, 2010

CLEVELAND -- NAACP President George Forbes today accused the city of using an organized police presence to discourage African-Americans from visiting one of the city's hottest entertainment districts.

City leaders say they have asked police and sheriff's deputies to move partygoers off West Sixth Street in the Warehouse District once bars close at 2:30 a.m., in response to numerous noise and rowdiness complaints.

But Forbes told Channel 3 News said the police action is racist because many of the people on the street at that hour are African-Americans.

"I can't believe (in) 2010 that black folks are targeted," Forbes said. "That they can't go certain places and you use the force of the police to make sure it's enforced."

Forbes said he's has demanded a meeting with Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson.

"You couldn't have an organized force of police going down West Sixth Street unless the administration and the council knew about this," Forbes said.

Jackson's spokeswoman Andrea Taylor declined to comment. Sgt. Sammy Morris, a police spokesman, denied any allegation that racism is involved and said police are concerned about underage individuals getting into clubs on the street and drinking illegally.

Forbes made the allegations at Cleveland's Municipal Court, where the owner of Lust -- the only predominately African-American nightclub on West Sixth Street -- is fighting to stay in business.

Lust owner Joe Carey, who rents his space at 1303 W. 6th Street, says the building's owners are using technicalities in the lease agreement to target his largely black client base.

"The downtown business establishment doesn't want black people in that area," Carey said.

And, Carey says, City Hall is going along with it by sending the Third District police commander down last Saturday to personally shut the nightclub down.

"He got real snotty," Carey said. "He said, 'You close at 1 o'clock or I'm coming in here and I'm going to put a group of police to run everybody out of here.'"

Downtown Councilman Joe Cimperman says the police presence on West Sixth Street goes beyond Lust, although he did note that complaints police get involve that nightclub.

Channel 3 news found cops have responded 41 times to calls at Lust since February of last year.

"What we don't want is the situation that we had a couple years ago, when the situation got so out of hand that people ended up getting shot and killed," Cimperman said.

"We also want to make sure that what we don't have is West Sixth street turning into the Flats East Bank."

In addition to the beefed up police presence, business owners in the Warehouse District are being asked by Cimperman, the city, and the powerful Downtown Cleveland Alliance to read and sign a letter of understanding or risk losing their liquor license.

The letter asks owners to hire a certain number of off-duty Cleveland police to patrol their businesses, based on the number of patrons and the amount of booze that is sold.

SOURCE:
http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/news_article.aspx?storyid=140523&catid=3

someperson
07-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Don't slow down in East Cleveland, or you'll die :)
hope someone recognizes the line lol

BamaFanNKy
07-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Dailymotion - Public Enemy - 911 Is A Joke - une vidéo Musique (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17y4y_public-enemy-911-is-a-joke_music)

james1906
07-19-2010, 09:12 PM

6th street is the place to go if you're a douchebag.

Jordan
07-19-2010, 10:03 PM

YouTube - Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM&feature=related)

:D

FrankRep
07-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Cleveland: At least we're not Detroit!

I LOLed.

BlackTerrel
07-19-2010, 10:43 PM
CLEVELAND -- NAACP President George Forbes today accused the city of using an organized police presence to discourage African-Americans from visiting one of the city's hottest entertainment districts.

City leaders say they have asked police and sheriff's deputies to move partygoers off West Sixth Street in the Warehouse District once bars close at 2:30 a.m., in response to numerous noise and rowdiness complaints.

But Forbes told Channel 3 News said the police action is racist because many of the people on the street at that hour are African-Americans.

I don't know enough about Cleveland but it wouldn't be the first time police were brought out in force for black people "being noisy" while whites doing the same or worse are ignored.

RM918
07-19-2010, 10:47 PM
The NAACP is moving rapidly toward irrelevance, which they may as well since they haven't really stood up for improving black's place in society for quite awhile.

FrankRep
07-19-2010, 10:50 PM
I don't know enough about Cleveland but it wouldn't be the first time police were brought out in force for black people "being noisy" while whites doing the same or worse are ignored.

I was over at a friend's house about two weeks ago and we had the music cranked up pretty loud late at night. Two cops came up and said the neighbors called in complaints about the noise. We were forced to turn down the music. Those white cops were racist against white people I guess.

michaelwise
07-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Give me a break.

someperson
07-19-2010, 10:54 PM
YouTube - Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt

:D
There it is! For some reason, every time I see the word, Cleveland, that song pops into my head lol

BlackTerrel
07-19-2010, 10:59 PM
I was over at a friend's house about two weeks ago and we had the music cranked up pretty loud late at night. Two cops came up and said the neighbors called in complaints about the noise. We were forced to turn down the music. Those white cops were racist against white people I guess.

A couple things:

1. One experience does not make something statistically significant.

2. There are a lot worse things cops can do to you then give you a verbal warning and leave.

TruckinMike
07-20-2010, 07:57 AM
//

jmdrake
07-20-2010, 08:34 AM
A couple things:

1. One experience does not make something statistically significant.

2. There are a lot worse things cops can do to you then give you a verbal warning and leave.

^This. FrankRep did you miss this part of your original post?

And, Carey says, City Hall is going along with it by sending the Third District police commander down last Saturday to personally shut the nightclub down.

"He got real snotty," Carey said. "He said, 'You close at 1 o'clock or I'm coming in here and I'm going to put a group of police to run everybody out of here.'"

Were the two officers that came up to your friend's house rude? Did they threaten to "run everybody out of here"? Now granted the club owner could be making this all up, but I'll assume that both he and you are being credible. I know stuff like what the club owner complained about has happened because I've seen it happen. The only thing worse than groups like the NAACP crying racism all of the time is white people pretending that (white) racism doesn't exist at all. The two "black panthers" we see repeatedly on youtube are definitely racist and I don't have a problem saying that. But sometimes people here seem totally oblivious to racism going the other direction unless the person is a democrat and/or is wearing white sheet.

FrankRep
07-20-2010, 08:44 AM
^This. FrankRep did you miss this part of your original post?

Being "rude" doesn't make you racist. :rolleyes:

jmdrake
07-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Being "rude" doesn't make you racist. :rolleyes:

Don't be a prick Frank. Seriously. You gave an example of two police officers that politely did their job, gave you no reason to suspect they didn't like you at all, and flippantly said "they must be racist". If someone is rude there usually is a reason. Maybe it's racism, maybe they had a bad day. Who knows. But if someone is simply enforcing the law without rudeness, you don't even have a reason to suspect racism.