PDA

View Full Version : Tea Party Gets official Congressional Caucus

bobbyw24
07-19-2010, 06:53 PM
By Molly K. Hooper and Jordan Fabian - 07/19/10 08:06 PM ET

A House committee has approved the creation of an official Tea Party Caucus, triggering praise from an outspoken Republican but creating a dilemma for some of her colleagues.

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), a favorite of the Tea Party movement, tweeted on Monday that the House Administration Committee had signed off on her request to form the Tea Party Caucus. Kyle Anderson, a spokesman for the panel headed by Rep. Robert Brady (D-Pa.), confirmed that it cleared Bachmann’s paperwork.

Later on Monday, House Republican Conference Chairman Mike Pence (Ind.) said he would be joining Bachmann’s group.

Seizing on the potential political volatility of the House Tea Party Caucus, a Democratic leadership aide on Monday said, “We hope that all members of the Republican Conference will join the Tea Party Caucus, starting with John Boehner.”

But House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) will not be signing up.

Boehner spokesman Kevin Smith told The Hill, “As a personal policy, Boehner is not a member of any caucus other than the House Republican Conference.”

Boehner has reached out to members of the Tea Party, however. The Ohio Republican has participated in several Tea Party rallies, and in a speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference, Boehner said, “While the other side is busy mocking the Tea Party movement, we’re going to listen to them, we’re going to walk amongst them, we’re going to stand with them.”

It is unclear if House Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R-Va.) will join the Tea Party Caucus. His office did not comment by press time.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/109703-tea-party-gets-official-caucus-on-capitol-hill

Political Terror
07-19-2010, 07:06 PM
After November the Republican party will say "Tea party?.......Who are they?"

libertybrewcity
07-19-2010, 09:33 PM
After November the Republican party will say "Tea party?.......Who are they?"

They have been saying that all along and have made attempts along to suck the Tea Party back in. Hasn't worked for the most part. I just hope that if Republicans win in November that people don't just go back to sitting on the couch.

libertybrewcity
07-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Also, if tea party candidates make a splash in the 2010 elections, this could be quite the powerful group, and could easily be the difference between a bill passing and not passing.

Flash
07-19-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm kind of pissed off Rand couldn't do this first.

WaltM
07-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Does Audit The Fed or CFL have an equivalent??

libertybrewcity
07-19-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm kind of pissed off Rand couldn't do this first.

Yea, it was his idea too. Bachmann made it happen the day after it hit the news Rand was going to form the Tea Party Senate Caucus.

james1906
07-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Does Audit The Fed or CFL have an equivalent??

There's the Republican Liberty Caucus

South Park Fan
07-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Is Ron Paul going to join?

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-19-2010, 10:56 PM
This reminds me of the "Fusionism" that was tried in the 50s and 60s. Conservative and libertarian ideologies are fundamentally opposed to each other. If Ron joins I can only imagine the frackus that would be had.

He would be the lone peaceful person in that group. His main views today are on foreign policy and monetary policy, an area where there are large swaths of disagreement between the likes of Bachmann and Pence. Ha!

There's no need for an official caucus for publicity. Ron all ready knows who is most like him up there and that is certainly not Pence or Bachmann, but more along the lines of Walter Jones. Ron should stay away and instead vote with them on the areas where they agree. There is just far too much disagreement for a caucus to be had with him and Pence!

South Park Fan
07-19-2010, 11:31 PM
I suspect that in the long run it will become meaningless when every Republican in Congress joins it to try to paint themselves as "Tea Partiers" during primary season.

someperson
07-19-2010, 11:36 PM
C-C-C-Co-opted. Politics can be so predictable.

american.swan
07-19-2010, 11:41 PM
It will seem quite odd for so many GOP House members jumping into this caucus around election time and for Daddy Paul to not join. That will be significant.

Political Terror
07-20-2010, 08:57 AM
I predict this caucus will be co-opted by the neo-cons. Michele Bachmann is a pro-war....Israel first-er.

Like most politicians they will wrap themselves in whatever flag they think will give them more power and win elections. Whether it be an American flag in Gadsden flag or Israeli flag.

Just my opinion.... I hope I'm wrong.

constituent
07-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Yea, it was his idea too. Bachmann made it happen the day after it hit the news Rand was going to form the Tea Party Senate Caucus.

Wow, that quick?

constituent
07-20-2010, 09:00 AM
I predict this caucus will be co-opted by the neo-cons. Michele Bachmann is a pro-war....Israel first-er.

Nuh-uh?

Political Terror
07-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Nuh-uh?

Bachmann: "America ‘cursed’ by God if we reject Israel" Link (http://minnesotaindependent.com/55061/bachmann-america-cursed-by-god-if-we-reject-israel)

"Pro-Israel" Rally, Wilshire Boulevard Sunday June 6, 2010 Bachmann appears at 1:17

YouTube - "Pro-Israel" Rally, Wilshire Boulevard Sunday June 6, 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IZcenCq_MU)

ctiger2
07-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm praying Bachmann doesn't get re elected.

acptulsa
07-20-2010, 09:42 AM
LOL. 'Official Tea Party' is an oxymoron. I do believe we've found their euphamism for 'astroturf'.

Lucille
07-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

HotAir (http://hotair.com/archives/2010/07/21/video-bachmann-introduces-the-new-house-tea-party-caucus/):

CNN’s got the membership roster; scroll down and take a gander. Interestingly, despite all the press the movement’s gotten for being populated by women, there’s only one woman on the list right now aside from Bachmann herself. Also, shockingly, no Ron Paul, who’s not only considered a godfather of the movement by some but whose own son has been talking up the idea of a similar caucus in the Senate. (Perhaps indicative of GOP candidates wanting to distance themselves from the brand a bit, Marco Rubio seems lukewarm to the idea.) Maybe Paul’s playing the role of the indie band that refuses to join the big corporate label because he doesn’t want to “sell out.” Authenticity.