PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about car ownership and state laws.

Rael
07-19-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm interested in the many different experiences people in different states encounter when it comes to car ownership. For example, some states require safety inspections and liability insurance and others don't. What I would like to know is which states are the best and worse places to own a car. Specifically I'm wondering about things like

Registration requirements and fees
Safety inspection requirements and fees
Liability insurance requirements

Also rules on window tinting, car stereos, or any other state laws (or lack thereof) relevant to owning a car that you think would be interesting to share.

YumYum
07-19-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm interested in the many different experiences people in different states encounter when it comes to car ownership. For example, some states require safety inspections and liability insurance and others don't. What I would like to know is which states are the best and worse places to own a car. Specifically I'm wondering about things like

Registration requirements and fees
Safety inspection requirements and fees
Liability insurance requirements

Also rules on window tinting, car stereos, or any other state laws (or lack thereof) relevant to owning a car that you think would be interesting to share.

The best place I have ever seen where car inspection doesn't even exist was on the Wind River Reservation in Wy, where I lived and went to school. Nobody cares. There is a joke they tell up there:

"Why was there only 3,000 Indians who killed Custer? Because the Indians could only get 6 cars started."

If you want no car inspection, no car registration, no car anything, that is the place to live.

Anti Federalist
07-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Maine, some of the worst.

Excise taxes on vehicles, $24 per thousand on new cars.

No smoking in your own vehicle if there are kids there.

Heavy handed DUI enforcement.

Rael
07-20-2010, 01:24 PM
bump

phill4paul
07-20-2010, 01:37 PM
N.C.

Registration requirements and fees- YES
Safety inspection requirements and fees- YES
Liability insurance requirements (penalties for lapses)- YES

Property tax- YES
Rules on tinting - YES
Seat belts - YES
Child seats - YES
Tough DUI sentencing and checkpoints - YES
Open container - YES
Texting ban - YES

REVENUE ENHANCEMENT TACTICS - YES

extrmmxer
07-20-2010, 02:54 PM
California is nightmare. Everything below plus Smog check is mandatory every couple years.

N.C.

Property tax- YES
Rules on tinting - YES
Seat belts - YES
Child seats - YES
Open container - YES
Texting ban - YES

Rael
07-20-2010, 09:32 PM
N.C.

Property tax- YES
Rules on tinting - YES
Seat belts - YES
Child seats - YES
Open container - YES
Texting ban - YES

Yeah it sucks in NC. thinking of "moving" to a state with less restrictive rules.

james1906
07-20-2010, 09:36 PM
The urban counties of TX suck. Inspection and smog test every year!

tangent4ronpaul
07-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Perhaps slightly off topic, but in rural IA (years ago), tractors on the road were common, making their way to field entrances. I don't think they ever drove more than 5 miles from "home". I have absolutely no recollection of any of them having license plates. They never traveled far enough to go to an inspection station or any business. Fuel was delivered from time to time and put in a gravity fed fuel pump. All maintenance done on the farm.

Similarly, in some areas go carts and electric carts (golf carts) are entirely exempt and do drive on the roads.

Some places - scooters below a certain CC size and engine power, especially those that were dual powered - pedal power / small engine were exempt.

-t