PDA

View Full Version : Infowars - not wasting a good crisis of their own??

Romulus
07-19-2010, 02:18 PM
I've always been skeptical by nature, but this one has me questioning Infowars (A. Jones) again.

Seems there's a big hub bub about the Obama Deception being "Censored"?? I dont think that's the case. Looks like it was pulled awhile back due to copyright infringement according to the channel owner:

YouTube - Obama Deception UpDate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T2tXTy5kdU&feature=channel)

Or was this a separate case and was the Obama Deception pulled down again??

Edit: Yes it appears that is the case - these are two separate occurrences.

specsaregood
07-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Or was this a separate case and was the Obama Deception pulled down again??

They claim somebody hacked the account and took the video down. :rolleyes:
So not censorship by any means, even if they didn't do it themselves on purpose accident. :)

Romulus
07-19-2010, 02:23 PM
I dont have a YouTube account.. can you hide a video, then make it public again?

Also, I wouldn't put anything past the drones behind YouTube/Google.

I do know they had this big push for doing a search and bumping it to top on Google last week... that might have spured some action by someone at Youtube/Google..

anythings possible I guess..

jmdrake
07-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Romulus, I fail to see your point. From what you've posted it sounds like a while back someone posted a bogus copyright infringement claim, YouTube took the video down, then ChangeDaChannel worked with Alex Jones to get it back up. Now there was an apparent hack and it was taken down. Just because there was an attack a while back doesn't mean there couldn't be another one using a different method.

Slutter McGee
07-19-2010, 02:47 PM
The fact is, even if it is censorship, it is still a private business deciding what they want to have available for the consumer on the website that THEY own.

When the government starts censoring ole Alex, then I will start caring.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

jmdrake
07-19-2010, 02:50 PM
The fact is, even if it is censorship, it is still a private business deciding what they want to have available for the consumer on the website that THEY own.

When the government starts censoring ole Alex, then I will start caring.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Well depending on the term of service, YouTube may be bound by contract not to arbitrarily yank down user videos. And even if they have the right to be arbitrary, private individuals have a right to point that out and call for a boycott.

TNforPaul45
07-19-2010, 03:02 PM
They claim somebody hacked the account and took the video down. :rolleyes:
So not censorship by any means, even if they didn't do it themselves on purpose accident. :)

If someone pulls down the political posters you put up, takes down any videos you may post on the web, and stops you from spreading your opinion in every avenue, then this is the very definition of Censorship.

TNforPaul45
07-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Well depending on the term of service, YouTube may be bound by contract not to arbitrarily yank down user videos. And even if they have the right to be arbitrary, private individuals have a right to point that out and call for a boycott.

This.

Romulus
07-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Romulus, I fail to see your point. From what you've posted it sounds like a while back someone posted a bogus copyright infringement claim, YouTube took the video down, then ChangeDaChannel worked with Alex Jones to get it back up. Now there was an apparent hack and it was taken down. Just because there was an attack a while back doesn't mean there couldn't be another one using a different method.

Youre right, I jumped the gun on this and thought they were related.. these are 2 separate issues... not connected in anyway.

specsaregood
07-19-2010, 03:26 PM
If someone pulls down the political posters you put up, takes down any videos you may post on the web, and stops you from spreading your opinion in every avenue, then this is the very definition of Censorship.

Not quite. The definition of "censor" depends upon the purpose of the action.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/censor

1 : a person who supervises conduct and morals: as a : an official who examines materials (as publications or films) for objectionable matter b : an official (as in time of war) who reads communications (as letters) and deletes material considered sensitive or harmful

It could just be an act of vandalism and not censorship.

Also, the definition relies upon somebody in power performing the act (supervisor, official, etc). Unless it was an agent of youtube or the govt, then it seems it was a person without authority to "censor". So it doesn't sound like censorship to me, but more like vandalism.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vandalism

: willful or malicious destruction or defacement of public or private property

dannno
07-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Hah, so now the anti-AJ folks are calling inside job on aj.. that's pretty funny

EndDaFed
07-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Hah, so now the anti-AJ folks are calling inside job on aj.. that's pretty funny

It sounds more plausible than some uber grand conspiracy to stop people from seeing the Obama Deception. If youtube really wanted the content gone it would be no where to be found on the website. It does not matter how many retards are uploading the same Alex Jones video. Youtube now has automated take down.

YouTube - Video Identification (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWizsV5Le7s)

dannno
07-19-2010, 03:59 PM
If youtube really wanted the content gone it would be no where to be found on the website.

*Logical analysis of statement complete*

Output: Who is this "youtube" you speak of, and when did "they" decide that they no longer wanted said content on their website :confused:

The fact that you make statements like this shows me you don't really know how things like this work at all.

It does not matter how many retards are uploading the same Alex Jones video.

You're showing your team's underwear just a little there :rolleyes:

FrankRep
07-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Youtube restored the Video.

YouTube - The Obama Deception HQ Full length version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAaQNACwaLw)

BlackTerrel
07-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Youtube restored the Video.

So if the objective was censorship it failed miserably. If the objective was to get more views and more attention to Alex Jones it was a smashing success. Kind of like I predicted.

It's called self promotion. Not exactly much of a conspiracy theory.

I think the most likely scenario is that some dude hacked their account and took the video down. But AJ being a savvy self promoter and understanding his audience used it to his advantage and pulled it off flawlessly. His audience rallied around him and people who never heard of him were exposed to him.

FrankRep
07-19-2010, 05:17 PM
So if the objective was censorship it failed miserably.

You missed the part where Alex Jones said someone cracked the Youtube account password and started deleting the videos.

Youtube restored the video.

YumYum
07-19-2010, 05:18 PM
So if the objective was censorship it failed miserably. If the objective was to get more views and more attention to Alex Jones it was a smashing success. Kind of like I predicted.

It's called self promotion. Not exactly much of a conspiracy theory.

I think the most likely scenario is that some dude hacked their account and took the video down. But AJ being a savvy self promoter and understanding his audience used it to his advantage and pulled it off flawlessly. His audience rallied around him and people who never heard of him were exposed to him.

You don't know how hard this is for me to say this, but: I agree with you.

specsaregood
07-19-2010, 05:31 PM
You missed the part where Alex Jones said someone cracked the Youtube account password and started deleting the videos.

I feel like this is relevant:

WALTER
That wasn't her toe.

DUDE
Whose toe was it, Walter?

WALTER
How the fuck should I know? I do know that nothing about it indicates--

DUDE
The nail polish, Walter.

WALTER
Fine, Dude. As if it's impossible to get some nail polish, apply it to someone else's toe--

DUDE
Someone else's--where the fuck are they gonna--

WALTER
You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.

DUDE
But Walter--

WALTER
I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish. These fucking amateurs. They send us a toe, we're supposed to shit our- selves with fear.

Romulus
07-19-2010, 05:35 PM
If someone hacked their account, they would have deleted it - erasing the view counts forever.

This is why I said it was either the user hiding it, but I don't even know if that's possible. The other result is that YouTube took down the video "censored" it, which they do to users video's all the time.

What makes this special, is that the video was in fact restored to its original state - which leads me to believe it was the inner workings of YouTube.

Of course AJ should make a big deal of this! It basically exposes YouTube shenanigans.

BlackTerrel
07-19-2010, 11:05 PM

No he didn't. He claimed he was censored. Some random dude hacking your account is not censorship or a conspiracy. It means you need to come up with a better password than 12345 - that's the kind of password an idiot would put on their luggage.

specsaregood
07-19-2010, 11:06 PM
It means you need to come up with a better password than 12345 - that's the kind of password an idiot would put on their luggage.

Damnit, now I need to change my atm pin number. Thanks a lot pal.