PDA

View Full Version : Voter Ignorance

Dreamofunity
07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Does anyone have any good polls/sites that show how ignorant of politics the general population can be?

"X% of Americans can name their congressman"
"X% of Americans can name a supreme court justice"
"X% of Americans can name their state governor"
Etc?

I know I've seen a bunch around but I seem to be failing on the google front for general questions of politics, most of what comes up is the supreme court justice one.

olehounddog
07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
SC dem primary?
I don't know of any.

Dreamofunity
07-19-2010, 01:57 PM
That's actually a pretty good example.

I'm doing a persuave speech on why people shouldn't vote (unless they are informed) so I need to find some statistics to use. I have a few, but I figured RPF would be better to ask than searching through endless google pages.

I can use the SC primary as a example though, thanks for the suggestion.

AuH2O
07-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Just to confirm, you are doing a speech on why people should voluntarily choose not to vote, right?

TomtheTinker
07-19-2010, 02:13 PM
That's actually a pretty good example.

I'm doing a persuave speech on why people shouldn't vote (unless they are informed) so I need to find some statistics to use. I have a few, but I figured RPF would be better to ask than searching through endless google pages.

I can use the SC primary as a example though, thanks for the suggestion.

People shouldn't be able to vote unless they pay taxes.

Elwar
As much as I'm into politics, I still have to start doing a lot of last minute research for most of the lower level offices (judges, sheriff, etc). But I still do at least a little bit so I'm not just picking based on commercials or number of signs.

When in doubt I usually vote against the incumbant.

Dreamofunity
Just to confirm, you are doing a speech on why people should voluntarily choose not to vote, right?

Yes. Kind of a play on the persuasive speech of telling people to get out to vote, the whole Vote or Die campaigns, etc. which the teacher has probably heard a million times before. I'm going to change it up and say people shouldn't vote unless they are informed - although again to clarify, voluntarily. I have to persuade, not force. :P

Dreamofunity
07-19-2010, 02:17 PM
As much as I'm into politics, I still have to start doing a lot of last minute research for most of the lower level offices (judges, sheriff, etc). But I still do at least a little bit so I'm not just picking based on commercials or number of signs.

When in doubt I usually vote against the incumbant.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I'd stand to guess that most on this forum are more informed than the majoirty of voters, but I'm even going to state in the speech that I don't know a lot of what I should, but instead I choose not to vote for someone whose policies I don't know. Maybe add in the ethical argument of you're responsible for the people you vote for kind of thing, although I may not do that and may just stick with the ignorance level.

Also to clarify again from before, I'm more or less persuading people to get informed, but doing so in kind of a satirical way of mocking the get out the vote campaigns.

Ekrub
07-19-2010, 03:04 PM

Probably not the smartest thing to post here at RPF...

heavenlyboy34
07-19-2010, 03:14 PM

you don't consider inflation a hidden tax? :eek: Next thing I know you'll be demanding people serve in Iraqistan before they can vote. :rolleyes: lolz @ voting

"Democracy too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." H.L. Menchen ;)