PDA

View Full Version : Palin sparks Twitter fight over NYC Mosque

djdellisanti4
07-19-2010, 12:52 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20100719/pl_politico/39899

Sarah Palin, who waded into a New York political fight by endorsing Ann Marie Buerkle in NY-25, is drifting into a decidedly higher-charged battle: The fray over a planned mosque near Ground Zero.

Her true colors shine through. Don't the people who bought the land have every right to build whatever the hell they want to? Isn't this what capitalism and a free society is all about? Being able to say what you want, do what you want and build what you want without someone stopping you?

low preference guy
07-19-2010, 12:57 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20100719/pl_politico/39899

Her true colors shine through. Don't the people who bought the land have every right to build whatever the hell they want to? Isn't this what capitalism and a free society is all about? Being able to say what you want, do what you want and build what you want without someone stopping you?

It's fine with me if a state government forbids them to build a mosque close to ground zero, as their city suffered terrorist attacks from people of their religion. It's true that most muslims aren't terrorists, but when a group of them declared war against the city, it's OK for New York to not allow the terrorists to have symbolic victories.

This is perfectly consistent with the original understanding of Federalism, which gives the states ample latitude to have their own rules.

RM918
07-19-2010, 02:13 PM
It's fine with me if a state government forbids them to build a mosque close to ground zero, as their city suffered terrorist attacks from people of their religion. It's true that most muslims aren't terrorists, but when a group of them declared war against the city, it's OK for New York to not allow the terrorists to have symbolic victories.

This is perfectly consistent with the original understanding of Federalism, which gives the states ample latitude to have their own rules.

I just can't believe in letting states make laws that go around the federal constitution because a state government can be just as tyrannical as a federal government. If rights are trampled upon, I don't really see why it's fine if New York does it while it's terrible if Congress does it.

low preference guy
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM
I just can't believe in letting states make laws that go around the federal constitution because a state government can be just as tyrannical as a federal government. If rights are trampled upon, I don't really see why it's fine if New York does it while it's terrible if Congress does it.

The idea is that over time the ability of people to vote with their feet will result in better laws for most states.

charrob
07-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Sarah Palin Calls On Peaceful Muslims To "Refudiate" Ground Zero Mosque :rolleyes:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/07/sarah-palin-calls-on-peaceful-muslims-to-refudiate-ground-zero-mosque.php