PDA

View Full Version : Why is the mosque near the site of 9/11 even an issue?

Depressed Liberator
07-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Really, how could anyone even make the building an issue? It's just mind boggling. They have every damn right to make a mosque there.

Galileo Galilei
07-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Whoever owns the land can build watever they want to there.

dean.engelhardt
07-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Is freedom of religion in question?

charrob
07-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Sarah Palin Calls On Peaceful Muslims To "Refudiate" Ground Zero Mosque :rolleyes:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/07/sarah-palin-calls-on-peaceful-muslims-to-refudiate-ground-zero-mosque.php

malkusm
07-19-2010, 12:39 PM
But if we let 'em build a mosque there, it shows the terr'ists that they won!!!!!!

Depressed Liberator
07-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Sarah Palin Calls On Peaceful Muslims To "Refudiate" Ground Zero Mosque :rolleyes:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/07/sarah-palin-calls-on-peaceful-muslims-to-refudiate-ground-zero-mosque.php

This is probably one of the dumbest things that woman has ever said. It's just terrible, especially since she tried to make things better by comparing herself to Shakespeare.

dannno
07-19-2010, 12:45 PM

What a moron.

Cowlesy
07-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Because approximately 3,000 people died on 9/11 who also have a lot of family members who completely understandably have a very low opinion of Islam, which is inflamed when some of the people who want this mosque are islamic fundamentalists. They consider the twin-towers footprint sacred ground, as do almost all their friends, as well as a few million new yorkers.

Now before you all start freaking out, I am just giving a potential reason why people are raising cane about this in the city. My personal opinion is there is just the business-as-usual ethnic factionalism duking it out for land/buildings.

Galileo Galilei
07-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Because approximately 3,000 people died on 9/11 who also have a lot of family members who completely understandably have a very low opinion of Islam, which is inflamed when some of the people who want this mosque are islamic fundamentalists. They consider the twin-towers footprint sacred ground, as do almost all their friends, as well as a few million new yorkers.

Now before you all start freaking out, I am just giving a potential reason why people are raising cane about this in the city. My personal opinion is there is just the business-as-usual ethnic factionalism duking it out for land/buildings.

Most of the family members don't believe it was the muslims. Check out the Coalition for 9/11 Families, the largest group of 9/11 family survivors. Please don't use the family members as a tool.

jmdrake
07-19-2010, 12:52 PM
This is probably one of the dumbest things that woman has ever said. It's just terrible, especially since she tried to make things better by comparing herself to Shakespeare.

LOL @ "refrudiate". Palin apologist to talk about how she must be good because the evil media is trying to make her look stupid in 3...2...1...

djdellisanti4
07-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Oops, I just posted a thread with the article about Palin and the mosque.

jmdrake
07-19-2010, 01:02 PM

What's that supposed to mean? :confused: Some of the people who want Ron Paul president are white supremacists too. As far as I can tell the people actually behind the mosque are sufists which is about as far away from "islamic fundamentalism" as deism is from "Christian fundamentalism".

Humanae Libertas
07-19-2010, 01:34 PM
The whole FOX News/GOP crowd is all up in arms overs this. Just goes to show you that these so called Conservatives/limited-government folks, are Marxist, who want to deprive a group of their property.

I don't have a problem with them protesting the Mosque, they have every right.

someperson
07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Demagoguery. Politics. Where would one be without the other? ;)

Bman
07-19-2010, 02:05 PM
It's this simple. If they own the land I don't feel I can stop them from building a mosque there. However, I feel it is a tremendous slap in the face for them to build a mosque there and would certainly cheer for anyone who carries a sign in front of it that says "F*&k you and your mosque!"

low preference guy
07-19-2010, 02:10 PM
It's fine with me if a state government forbids them to build a mosque close to ground zero, as their city suffered terrorist attacks from people of their religion. It's true that most muslims aren't terrorists, but if a group of them declared war against the city, then it's OK for New York to not allow the terrorists to have symbolic victories.

This is perfectly consistent with the original understanding of Federalism, which gives the states ample latitude to have their own rules.

Petar
07-19-2010, 02:13 PM
The area is a very tasteless spot for a Mosque, to say the least, and I would support the State or the City not giving them approval to build there.

With that said, I find the following Pagan-Egyptian/Illuminati display a lot more disturbing, and quite criminal actually:

YouTube - All Seeing Eye of Horus at Ground Zero During the 9/11 Memorial Service (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xhN0Byk5GQ)

TheeJoeGlass
07-20-2010, 01:45 AM
Explain that to me?

BlackTerrel
07-20-2010, 02:00 AM
Really, how could anyone even make the building an issue? It's just mind boggling. They have every damn right to make a mosque there.

It's called hating a religion and it's not exactly a new thing. The one in NYC is getting the most attention but there are plenty others that are being protested as well. And I believe more than 50% of New Yorkers oppose this thing.

Honestly though the fact that they decided to have the grand opening on the date of September 11 just sounds like a big "f you" to the people of NYC. If they're smart they'll change the date.

Knightskye
07-20-2010, 03:32 AM
Stating the obvious, not all people are libertarians.

They don't go like, "Property rights, 1st Amendment... okay, build a mosque."

LibertyVox
07-20-2010, 03:55 AM
Vox!

LibertyVox
07-20-2010, 03:55 AM
Liberty Vox

LibertyVox
07-20-2010, 04:13 AM
Why Palin represents our social, cognitive and intellectual decay

NYC mosque controversy. Enter Palin. And you can count on some comical relief, even in a messy situation such as this.
She had posted her monumental gibberish on Twitter and was too stupid to take it down due to her arrogance.
She pulled down two of them after concocting the word “refudiate” and then used the word “refute” incorrectly.

Ground Zero Mosque supporters: doesn’t it stab you in the heart, as it does ours throughout the heartland? Peaceful Muslims, pls refudiate

Peaceful New Yorkers, pls refute(refute:o???) the Ground Zero mosque plan if you believe catastrophic pain caused @ Twin Towers site is too raw, too real.

She then pulled the second attempt down and took a third swipe at it.

Peace-seeking Muslims pls understand. Ground Zero mosque is UNNECESSARY provocation; it stabs hearts. Pls reject it in interest of healing

“Peaceful,” “peace-seeking”? Why the qualifier? How about “peaceful Christians“? And as if Sarah Palin knows anything about “healing.” Perhaps that’s the biggest joke of all.

Well, not quite. The Thrilla from Wasilla then compared herself to none other than the Immortal Bard himself (and with indirect reference to her primary obsession, Barack ;)"Hussien" ;) Obama). Said she:

English is a living language. Shakespeare liked to coin new words too. Got to celebrate it!’

As Billy Boy so wisely noted in The Tempest:
You cram these words into mine ears against
The stomach of my sense.

Note: As someone who has never, personally, been "wee-wee’d" up but thinks it sounds like a painful process that would be difficult to reverse, I’m overwhelmed by Palin's boldness. Churchill said of Ramsay MacDonald that "He has, more than any other man, the gift of compressing the largest amount of words into the smallest amount of thought." But why even bother with the words? Sarah Palin has broken down the last boundary, and now the sky is her limit. Soon, her speeches will just be things like: "For too long, Americans have wandered in a gormless wabe, mimsy and absturpated. Can’t the U.S. government corribulate this reticulousity?"
Well, can we?:eek: I'm not sure.

Sure, Shakespeare did this, but he was -- how to put this? -- Shakespeare. He wasn't trying to encourage people to take action on the political scene. He was writing plays, and his words usually came with context -- something "refudiate" lacks. I still am not entirely sure what it means, and if someone told me to "pls refudiate" anything, my circuits would be overrun, and I would have to lie down somewhere. Besides, just because Shakespeare did something doesn't make it all right. He also wrote "A Midsummer Night's Dream," and that includes fairies and men with donkey heads -- two things I doubt Palin would endorse.

Maybe she'll prove me wrong and "refudiate" will catch on. But if she runs in 2012, I hope we’re horpswangling enough to grountify her. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Sarah Palin 2012.
Country of Origin: Unclear, but you can see Russia.
Vote For Idiocracy. :D

Liberty Star
07-20-2010, 04:35 AM
Demagoguery. Politics. Where would one be without the other? ;)

I was going to go with bigotry but demagoguery seems more apt.

In principle I support their right to build a mosque as long as they are not using tax payers money and following laws. But it would be better if they spend that money to help poor people in other parts of the world. In fact all mosques, churches, synagogues should halt new constructions for a year and instead spend that money to buy food, medicine, toys, religious books for poor oppressed people of Gaza, Haiti and other parts. God would be more pleased and our economy will make a sharp turn to bring blessings.

BlackTerrel
07-20-2010, 11:49 PM
I am not a fan of these guys but in this case I think he does a good breaking it down:

YouTube - Sarah Palin Twitter FAIL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KczqRR-Lmgs)

thehunter
07-21-2010, 06:19 PM
They should definately be allowed to own property and do with it as they please. From what I understand (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the issue comes down to whether the site will be declared a memorial site or not and whether the NYC lands commission is properly adhering to the rules. There are also questions as to whether the imam who is planning this mosque got his money from questionable sources in the Middle East. I am currently uncertain as to whether the imam has actually purchased the property or not (somewhat important item, you would think, but goes to show how detailed both sides have been in their reporting of this story).

That said, while I would not lead a campaign to deny the right of an owner to use the property he purchased as he sees fit, it is extremely bad taste to build a mosque on a property which is widely acknowledged as a site where Muslims were involved in the deaths of thousands.

silus
07-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Not joking, but your statement is mind boggling. You are telling me you can't imagine why anyone would be against this? Seriously??

To add, you are addressing two different issues in your post. The right to build it, and the reasons why a person might object to it being built. There is a difference.

UtahApocalypse
07-21-2010, 07:09 PM
It's this simple. If they own the land I don't feel I can stop them from building a mosque there. However, I feel it is a tremendous slap in the face for them to build a mosque there and would certainly cheer for anyone who carries a sign in front of it that says "F*&k you and your mosque!"

^^^ this

thehunter
07-21-2010, 07:56 PM
60 Muslims died on 9/11 the Mosque is a community center, where people from all walks will be able to use their facilities, they are building a senior center as well and a 9/11 memorial inside the mosque! People always complain how come peaceful Muslims never oppose terrorists, wel now they are and some are telling them to fuck off. It's not like its directly over the building, its two blocks away and is already being used as a prayer service, let them build a nice building that includes services that would be used for everyone.

Abe, there's an old saying that you don't bring pork wieners to a Jewish barbeque, and I think that the lesson in sensitivity that that phrase eludes to applies here. Plus, how does building a mosque close to the WTC site combat terrorism exactly? What services would be used by non-Muslims?

BlackTerrel
07-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Abe, there's an old saying that you don't bring pork wieners to a Jewish barbeque, and I think that the lesson in sensitivity that that phrase eludes to applies here. Plus, how does building a mosque close to the WTC site combat terrorism exactly? What services would be used by non-Muslims?

The pool... the rec center etc.. This is $100 million project it's more than just a Mosque.

thehunter
07-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks BT, this is somewhat key to the discussion and it's sad that the details aren't well-known. That said, the taste issue and the source of the money still keeps me against this project.

DirtMcGirt
07-22-2010, 08:42 PM
That said, while I would not lead a campaign to deny the right of an owner to use the property he purchased as he sees fit, it is extremely bad taste to build a mosque on a property which is widely acknowledged as a site where Muslims were involved in the deaths of thousands.

- I acknowledge that the majority were Saudis...