PDA

View Full Version : Ron Swanson is my hero! :)

echebota
07-18-2010, 09:23 PM
I have been watching NBC series "Parks and recreations" and wanted to share with you my joy every time I see this character - Ron Swanson. He is an ideal Government employee and almost true liberiterian. I think he's a great asset for Liberty movement. For those not famalier with the show:

"America has a new champion of limited government and spending restraint. For six years straight, Ron Swanson, director of the City of Pawnee’s Parks and Recreation Department, brought his agency in under budget. He set citywide records by spending only 60 cents of his department’s discretionary fund.

Regrettably, Swanson is not running for Congress. Instead, he is leading the limited government fight as a fictional character on NBC’s primetime show “Parks and Recreation.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/37824.html

Here are top quotes from Ron:

1) “I’ve been quite open about this around the office: I don’t want this parks department to build any parks, because I don’t believe in government. I think that all government is a waste of taxpayer money. My dream is to have the park system privatized and run entirely for profit by corporations, like Chuck E. Cheese. They have an impeccable business model. I would rather work for Chuck E. Cheese.”

2) “I got my first job when I was 9. Worked at a sheet metal factory. In two weeks, I was running the floor. Child labor laws are ruining this country.”

3) “My idea of a perfect government is one guy who sits in a small room at a desk, and the only thing he’s allowed to decide is who to nuke. The man is chosen based on some kind of IQ test, and maybe also a physical tournament, like a decathlon. And women are brought to him, maybe ... when he desires them.”

4) Ron: When I look at my palm I see a lady's mouth French kissing a dog. Is that normal?
Ann: Well, the pain medication I gave you is pretty strong. Donna uses it for menstrual cramps.

5) “The whole point of this country is if you want to eat garbage, balloon up to 600 pounds and die of a heart attack at 43, you can! You are free to do so. To me, that’s beautiful.”

6) His reaction when auditors came to cut jobs at his department and other city government: "What exactly will you be cutting? And how much of it, and can I watch you do it while eating pork cracklings?"

7) "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard."

8) Mark is a city architect checking on code vialations in Ron's workshop in his house new addition. Mark: "You've got hazardous chemicals over here."
Ron: "Yeah, which only I am breathing. It's the same liberty that gives me the right to fart in my own car. Are you going to tell a man that he can't fart in his own car?"

9) about his ex-wife "Ron: Every time she laughs, an angel dies. Even telemarketers avoid her. Her birth was payback for the sins of man. But you know the worst thing about her?
Leslie: She works for the library.
Ron: She works for the library."

10) April: I had to wait until my dad fell asleep so I could steal his keys. you ready?
Ron: I was born ready. I'm Ron F*%king Swanson.

11) Ron: Those dates are arbitrary. They're like those expiration dates that the government forces companies to put on yogurt and medicine.

12) On employees of his department: “I would prefer that she ask me for my permission so I could say no. I like saying no. It lowers their enthusiasm.”

specsaregood
07-18-2010, 09:30 PM
I've never watched the show, but I am somewhat interested now. Does it really not completely suck? I mean, it is on NBC, how good can it be.

echebota
07-18-2010, 10:03 PM
It's an entertainig comedy show. It's not by any means educational or with any "message", but it's not as stupid as many of them are. Very "rich" characters and you already know my favorite one :) Give it a try, you'll have a laugh ot two :)

djdellisanti4
07-18-2010, 10:52 PM
I was just about to post something about Swanson too. He's probably the only reason I watch that show....well and Amy Poehler is hillarious.

james1906
07-18-2010, 10:57 PM
It's a great show. Ron Swanson is somewhat of a caricature of libertarians, but the character isn't portrayed as a buffoon. He was actually based on a libertarian one of the producers knew.

Him eating the breakfast buffet at the strip club is classic.

libertybrewcity
07-18-2010, 11:56 PM
that show is amazing, i hope they have another season. Ron Swanson reminds me of Kenny Powers in East Bound and Down.

jane347
07-18-2010, 11:59 PM
share a place with you,
www.voguesale.com
Wonderful website ,do not miss it.

amonasro
07-19-2010, 12:29 AM
It's a funny show that pokes fun at local/state government. Ron Swanson is the self-proclaimed Libertarian of the rural Indiana Parks Dept staff; the irony is that he is head of the department yet barely lifts a finger, instead delegating work to others or telling his airhead secretary to keep all responsibility away. The last season ended with the state budget being slashed and their department getting all but shut down, much to Swanson's glee.

It's worth watching now that it's hit its stride, and shows like The Office are stagnating a bit. Plenty of political humor to be enjoyed. Nothing too shocking though, this is NBC we're talking about.

BenIsForRon
07-19-2010, 06:58 AM
The show is just good all around, it has lots of commentary about all kinds of societal problems. Citizen ignorance, political corruption, government excess have all been themes in past shows. I've noticed many people watching the show don't even realize it though. The themes aren't as in your face as, say, an episode of South Park.