PDA

View Full Version : Drudge: Obama's 'Freedom of Worship' References

thehunter
07-18-2010, 08:19 PM
This story,

http://catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=37390&page=1,

was linked on Drudge today and caught me as something worth a discussion. Given the recent trending away in statist societies from tolerance of public expressions of worship (see France/Quebec: head veil ban among others...), I saw it as a given that eventually there would be some double-talk invented to circumvent the clear references in the US for a universal protection of religious freedom.

"Freedom of worship" might sound pretty threatening to those who value America's strength as a religiously tolerant society, but as I ponder it, I see that it is more threatening to think of what Obama/Clinton see the phrase as versus what it is likely to become. Since the terminology is blatantly different from "freedom of religion", I doubt many people will agree with any future argument which states that the two terms are one and the same. What I see as more likely to happen is that the authors of this sort of thinking will need to go back to the drawing board if they are to find an effective way of forcing religious communities into underground (or, dare I say, into the closet?).

As liberty-minded individuals though, it should serve as a warning that the explicit rights in the US are very much vulnerable to revisionism these days and that Obama's judicial appointments, like Kagan, are deserving of extra scrutiny in light of what is at stake!