PDA

View Full Version : Strategist: Jeb Bush Biggest Threat to Obama in 2012

Matt Collins
07-18-2010, 07:41 PM
From a NewsMax e-mail newsletter my father received today:

1. Strategist: Jeb Bush Biggest Threat to Obama in 2012
Leading Democratic strategist Simon Rosenberg remains confident about President Barack Obama’s chances for re-election in 2012, but admits there is one potential Republican candidate who scares him: former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

Sinking poll numbers and policy setbacks “have done little to dissuade” the rosy predictions of Rosenberg, who has said Obama’s election gave Democrats a chance for a 30-to-40-year era of dominance, Sam Stein notes on the Huffington Post website, adding, “There’s only one thing that makes Rosenberg nervous: another Bush.”

At a recent lunch at the headquarters of the New Democrat Network, a non-profit group founded by Rosenberg, the former Bill Clinton adviser said, "Jeb is married to a Latina, is fluent in Spanish, speaks on Univision as a commentator — his Spanish is that good.

"And if you look at the electoral map in 2012, you have to assume that Obama is going to have a very hard time in holding North Carolina and Virginia. The industrial Midwest, where the auto decline has been huge, has weakened Obama's numbers . . . a great deal. So Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, and Wisconsin become a bit more wobbly.

“So if you're Barack Obama, the firewall is the Latin belt from Florida to southwestern California. And there is only one Republican who can break through that firewall. And it is Jeb."

Following the George W. Bush presidency, the vast majority of voters yearn for someone other than a Bush, said Democratic strategist Donna Brazille. But she acknowledged: “Jeb has the talent, the experience, and the ability to rebuild the GOP’s tent.”

And longtime Democratic pollster Stanley Greenberg told Stein: "I believe Jeb Bush could run. He is more of a genuine conservative than [Mitt] Romney. Bush is a big hangover, but not impossible."

Bush was elected governor in 1998 and served two terms during a period of great economic growth in Florida, keeping taxes low and holding down spending. He won high praise for handling natural disasters — six major hurricanes struck Florida’s coastlines during his tenure — and he also spearheaded reforms that have led to improvements in the state’s education system.

Today, Bush is in private business and works with several charities and foundations. But he has not kept out of the public eye, becoming a vocal critic of the Obama administration. He told Newsmax in an exclusive interview that the administration is charting a “dangerous course” as it pushes for a dramatic expansion of government that “imperils our future.”

Longtime Republican consultant John Feehery told Stein: “I think that Bushism is still alive. There is, however, an anti-Bushism in the party associated with the Rand Paul crowd. They don't like neocons and government. And Sarah Palin could be seen as part of that group.

“What people like about Jeb Bush is that he is smart and conservative and well-liked by the base . . . If there is going to be a Bush revival, Jeb is going to be the leader of that revival.”

FrankRep
07-18-2010, 07:43 PM
News Max is smoking crack.

No to Bush #3!

Matt Collins
07-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Well now we know why Jeb is fund raising for Rand. :o

awake
So would that be a theoretical Bush 4th term?

Liberty Star
That by extension means biggest threat to Newt, Palin and Romney also. Interesting development, daddy/momma Bush's got to be very proud of both their sons achievements.

FrankRep
07-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Well now we know why Jeb is fund raising for Rand. :o

I thought you were joke. Guess not.

Rand Paul getting fundraising help from former Florida governor Jeb Bush
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100716/NEWS01/7160359/1008/Rand-Paul-getting-fundraising-help-from-former-Florida-governor-Jeb-Bush

silus
07-18-2010, 07:48 PM
If Clinton was elected we might have seen a Clinton or Bush from 1989-2024.

anaconda
07-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Never in a million years. Republican voters do not want business as usual. The name "Bush" will be the ultimate FAIL.

Interesting that the author referred to us as the "Rand Paul Crowd" rather than the "Ron Paul Crowd."

speciallyblend
07-18-2010, 07:50 PM
BS

Liberty Star
07-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Newsmax is premier neocon rag. This does look like BS story by them trying to push a no happener.

YumYum
07-18-2010, 07:56 PM
:“What people like about Jeb Bush is that he is smart and conservative and well-liked by the base . . . If there is going to be a Bush revival, Jeb is going to be the leader of that revival.”

Out of the 308 million people who live in this country, Jeb Bush is the best that the Republicans have to offer?? :confused:

thehunter
07-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Frankly, I doubt that we'll see any serious talk about the GOP candidate until after November when a fresh class of representatives are elected to put into perspective where the 2012 election will be fought. Only when the results are realized will we see the field contenders start to make their move.

Right now there are a few different GOP governors who could make serious bids (Bush and Brewer will likely be favourites among the base). In Congress, there is obviously one of the Pauls (the son will likely inherit the father's base when the elder Paul retires from the executive run) and Brown. Then there are the retiring/retired governors like Romney and Pawlenty.

Ideology aside for a moment, the GOP is quite capable of putting forward an 'A' list of candidates for President. After all, if a junior senator from Illinois can sweep into the White House in four years, it shouldn't require the GOP much digging to find a suitable opponent!

TheBlackPeterSchiff
07-18-2010, 08:12 PM
More like the biggest W.

I would vote for Obama over another Bush.

YumYum
07-18-2010, 08:16 PM
More like the biggest W.

I would vote for Obama over another Bush.

I agree. Jeb is just George W. Bush II: minus the brain damage.

Distinguished Gentleman
07-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Romney, Palin, Gingrich and Bush will all likely draw from the same well of voters. From a strategic point of view, I'd hope the coalition of small government conservatives, independents, and libertarians would rally behind one electable person who isn't a total neocon.

I wonder who that person would be? I used to think it would be Sanford.

Matt Collins
07-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Never in a million years. Republican voters do not want business as usual. The name "Bush" will be the ultimate FAIL.Are you kidding?!?! :confused:

MOST Republicans would take GW over Obama. In fact a great deal of Republicans (maybe even half?) still say that Bush didn't do anything wrong, or that he was still a good President in spite of everything he did :mad:

Don't you remember these popping up all over the country?

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/miss-me-yet-billboard.jpg

YumYum
07-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Frankly, I doubt that we'll see any serious talk about the GOP candidate until after November when a fresh class of representatives are elected to put into perspective where the 2012 election will be fought. Only when the results are realized will we see the field contenders start to make their move.

Right now there are a few different GOP governors who could make serious bids (Bush and Brewer will likely be favourites among the base). In Congress, there is obviously one of the Pauls (the son will likely inherit the father's base when the elder Paul retires from the executive run) and Brown. Then there are the retiring/retired governors like Romney and Pawlenty.

Ideology aside for a moment, the GOP is quite capable of putting forward an 'A' list of candidates for President. After all, if a junior senator from Illinois can sweep into the White House in four years, it shouldn't require the GOP much digging to find a suitable opponent!

Have you checked out Chris Christie, the Governor of New Jersey? He has potential, but he said he won't run.

I don't care if its the Republicans or the Democrats, they keep bringing back the same recycled shit that is in Washington D.C.

If were going to have another Bush in the White House, I want George W.'s twin daughter Barbara; provided she wears a bikini while serving.:D

ctiger2
07-18-2010, 08:22 PM
I can't wait for George P. Bush [Jeb's Son] to come into play.

http://pottokettle.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/georgepbush0613.jpg

He'll be deadly because he's half mexican. He's coming...

thehunter
07-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Romney, Palin, Gingrich and Bush will all likely draw from the same well of voters. From a strategic point of view, I'd hope the coalition of small government conservatives, independents, and libertarians would rally behind one electable person who isn't a total neocon.

I wonder who that person would be? I used to think it would be Sanford.

Unfortunately, I think Palin the Myth would actually leech votes away from such a candidate, leaving the room in a primary for a left-leaning candidate like Romney to take a plurality of the votes.

YumYum
07-18-2010, 08:23 PM
MOSTIn fact a great deal of Republicans (maybe even half?) still say that Bush didn't do anything wrong, or that he was still a good President in spite of everything he did :mad:

Don't you remember these popping up all over the country?

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/miss-me-yet-billboard.jpg

That is one reason I left the Republican Party.

cindy25
07-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Jeb has a Hispanic wife, and is fluent in Spanish.

whoever carries the Hispanic vote wins.

any GOP candidate could pick a Hispanic running mate and accomplish the same thing

american.swan
07-18-2010, 08:30 PM
According to polls...isn't the "Tea Party" now a tad more "popular" than the "GOP". And the "GOP" and "Tea Party" combined can't lose nationally to the "DNC". Every NeoCon in the book is going to help Rand just for "image". They may think, having one Ron Paul is the senate is going to be "OK" because they control the other 99 and if I take some pictures with Rand, I'll get the White House over "dad Ron" and we have the media on our side TOO.

Question: Is Rand fooling the establishment? We have to look at record, just like we do with Romney and other GOP hopefuls. Rand's "record" is fantastic.

Distinguished Gentleman
07-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Unfortunately, I think Palin the Myth would actually leech votes away from such a candidate, leaving the room in a primary for a left-leaning candidate like Romney to take a plurality of the votes.

Let's not think those thoughts...
National Review and Reason have been floating the idea of Mitch Daniels. (http://reason.com/blog/2010/06/28/mitch-daniels-watch-maybe-we-n) He's decent overall and at least mentioned cutting military spending as part of his overall responsibility platform. We will see when the time comes.

cindy25
07-18-2010, 08:45 PM
you are assuming the average voter is informed, but they voted for McCain in NH because he was against the war.

Bush is well known name, and to not take him seriously is a mistake.

and I think it will be Bush vs Clinton in 2012

South Park Fan
07-18-2010, 09:22 PM
They're seriously taking this advice from a Democratic strategist? lol

anaconda
07-18-2010, 10:03 PM
:“What people like about Jeb Bush is that he is smart and conservative and well-liked by the base . . . If there is going to be a Bush revival, Jeb is going to be the leader of that revival.”

Out of the 308 million people who live in this country, Jeb Bush is the best that the Republicans have to offer?? :confused:

But look at all of the schmucks that the sheeple end up voting for POTUS nomination of their party. George W. Bush? George H.W. Bush? Gerald Ford? Michael Dukakis? Walter Mondale? John Kerry? It's pathetic.

anaconda
07-18-2010, 10:04 PM
you are assuming the average voter is informed, but they voted for McCain in NH because he was against the war.

Bush is well known name, and to not take him seriously is a mistake.

and I think it will be Bush vs Clinton in 2012

Obama will not seek reelection?

anaconda
07-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Jeb has a Hispanic wife, and is fluent in Spanish.

whoever carries the Hispanic vote wins.

any GOP candidate could pick a Hispanic running mate and accomplish the same thing

What about carrying the independent vote? The indy vote is running like rats from Obama to Ron Paul.

tropicangela
07-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Saw a pickup with bumper sticker saying, "We Miss Bush" yesterday. Ugggh.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-18-2010, 10:15 PM
If another Bush wins the Presidency I will actually give real thought to moving to Switzerland, or Costa Rica. FUCK NO. (I don't really see NH seceeding over this crony ass Nepotism)

anaconda
07-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Saw a pickup with bumper sticker saying, "We Miss Bush" yesterday. Ugggh.

I saw a "Show the Birth Certificate" billboard in northern California a couple of weeks ago when I was driving up to Washington. Didn't know they existed in CA.

You gotta feel pity for those poor folks with that "We Miss Bush" bumper sticker.

t0rnado
07-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Jeb Bush would only get the votes of a majority of Hispanics if he was for amnesty. No one who is for amnesty will win the Republican nomination in 2012. The author of this article is a dumbass.

Brett
07-18-2010, 11:04 PM
All we need is a Hilary V. Bush race in 2012 to make sure the establishment stays within the elite of the elite.

2young2vote
07-18-2010, 11:23 PM
I seriously doubt he would win...his campaign would have to push VERY hard to eliminate any connections with the other bush.

Dreamofunity
07-19-2010, 12:46 AM
I'd actively campaign for Obama over another Bush. Running another Bush would be suicide for the Republicans.

cindy25
07-19-2010, 01:03 AM
he wouldn't need amnesty; just the wife and son on the campaign trail. his son in uniform will help in Iowa.

or he can be against amnesty in the primaries, change his mind for November.

Kregisen
07-19-2010, 02:16 AM
Let's hope and pray Bush runs in 2012.....one more neo-con to split the vote and give Ron Paul twice the chance he has now.

I seriously cannot wait until the 2012 primary debates. Already 34% of Republicans are against the war in Afghanistan.....by 2012 it will be closer to 50%, and who's the only candidate who was against the wars in 2008?

Exactly......you never know what'll happen in 2012. Can NOT wait. :D

Matt Collins
07-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Let's hope and pray Bush runs in 2012.....one more neo-con to split the vote and give Ron Paul twice the chance he has now.

I seriously cannot wait until the 2012 primary debates. Already 34% of Republicans are against the war in Afghanistan.....by 2012 it will be closer to 50%, and who's the only candidate who was against the wars in 2008?

Exactly......you never know what'll happen in 2012. Can NOT wait. :D
That strategy wasn't exactly successful in 2008.... just sayin' :o

itshappening
07-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Only Ron can get enough independents to beat Obama

ClayTrainor
07-19-2010, 10:31 AM
All we need is a Hilary V. Bush race in 2012 to make sure the establishment stays within the elite of the elite.

Well said! Honestly, if it isn't Ron Paul in 2012 than I hope the republicans choose someone as awful as another Bush. It will make it so much easier to expose the system for what it is... Rigged.

I'd actively campaign for Obama over another Bush.

Why waste your time? It's just a meaningless competition between a douche and a turd sandwich...

http://westernpac.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/GiantDoucheturdsandwich.jpg

Running another Bush would be suicide for the Republicans.

Republican Suicide doesn't sound all that bad to me. Screw the 2 party machine.

Fredom101
07-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I thought you were joke. Guess not.

Rand Paul getting fundraising help from former Florida governor Jeb Bush
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100716/NEWS01/7160359/1008/Rand-Paul-getting-fundraising-help-from-former-Florida-governor-Jeb-Bush

Yet another reason to not get on or jump off the Rand bandwagon. :mad:

Fredom101
07-19-2010, 11:36 AM
I'd actively campaign for Obama over another Bush. Running another Bush would be suicide for the Republicans.

Well that's insane because they are the same. Obama is Bush III Jeb would simply be Bush IV.

Brian4Liberty
07-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Chris Matthews did a big push for Jeb this weekend. All of his toadies agreed. They couldn't praise him any more than they did. They are pretty much pushing a "ignore the name 'Bush', he's the best Republican for the job, he's by far the best and most competent Bush" propaganda. :rolleyes:

Go to the 9 minutes remaining mark on this video:

http://video.thechrismatthewsshow.com/player/?fid=31183

Andrew Ryan
07-19-2010, 01:23 PM
http://www.spaldinggopstore.com/images/01-4-6001.jpg

malkusm
07-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Yet another reason to not get on or jump off the Rand bandwagon. :mad:

So, Rand Paul accepting money from a neocon means he must be a neocon?

Didn't we already go through this mental exercise when the white supremacist donated money to Ron's campaign? :rolleyes:

KramerDSP
07-19-2010, 02:28 PM
All I'm gonna say is if it's Jeb Bush versus Hillary Clinton, Ron Paul HAS to run Third Party. Jack Cafferty once memorably said before the Obama election that "40% of the American people were not alive the last time a Bush or a Clinton wasn't in the White House. I, for one, have had enough of the Bushes and the Clintons!".

In all likelihood, Romney-Huckabee is the frontrunning ticket at this point. They're pretty much the carbon copy bizarro versions of Obama-Biden.

Fredom101
07-19-2010, 03:10 PM

Didn't we already go through this mental exercise when the white supremacist donated money to Ron's campaign? :rolleyes:

No, it's ANOTHER reason. First his pro-war stance, then Palin endorsement, now this. Is he even against the drug war? Rand is a watered-down Ron, I don't see how that helps advance liberty. Bob Barr anyone?

Fredom101
07-19-2010, 03:11 PM
If anyone named "Jeb" becomes president, that will be my last straw, and I'd HAVE to renounce my citizenship and get the hell out of here!

anaconda
07-19-2010, 05:05 PM

I default to Ron's comment in 2007: "If people with whom I disagree want to give me their money, then it's their loss.....":D

rich34
07-19-2010, 05:16 PM
I default to Ron's comment in 2007: "If people with whom I disagree want to give me their money, then it's their loss.....":D

Hell yeah! I remember watching that I believe it was Cavato trying to get him to stuble and ole Ron pawned the hell out of him :D Nothing Cavato said or tried would work. If the majority of people saw that explanation they'd understand the tactic of guilt by association and how folly that logic really is.

Distinguished Gentleman
07-19-2010, 05:42 PM
To the Rand is a neocon crowd:
Rand opposed the Iraq war.
Rand says it's not the congresses decision too control troop levels. This is constitutionally correct and is phrased as to not to offend the Military fetishists he needs to vote for him. Liz Cheney and the neocons who raised funds for Grayson weren't fooled. "He's not one of us" they said of Rand.
Opposes Patriot Act
Set to be the most consistently small government messenger in the Senate.

Rand's not schmoozing with Jeb Bush, Jeb Bush is Schmoozing with Rand. The small government crowd has the leverage.

Romulus
07-19-2010, 05:46 PM
To the Rand is a neocon crowd:
Rand opposed the Iraq war.
Rand says it's not the congresses decision too control troop levels. This is constitutionally correct and is phrased as to not to offend the Military fetishists he needs to vote for him. Liz Cheney and the neocons who raised funds for Grayson weren't fooled. "He's not one of us" they said of Rand.
Opposes Patriot Act
Set to be the most consistently small government messenger in the Senate.

Rand's not schmoozing with Jeb Bush, Jeb Bush is Schmoozing with Rand. The small government crowd has the leverage.

You got that right... everyone's riding the wave and trying to co-opt the movement, message and its people. F-Them, it's not working and soon enough they'll wonder what the hell happened. It's not like they have a choice in the matter anyway.

AlterEgo
07-20-2010, 10:16 PM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Campaign%202008%20IV/n835874687_170899_6657.jpg