PDA

View Full Version : Fund Raiser Poker Tournament?

Trassin
10-15-2007, 11:28 AM
I already mentioned it in another thread but I think this would be a great idea for a fund raiser. While I'm not a huge poker player myself I'm sure that there are plenty out there that support Ron Paul, especially with his stance on regulation of the internet and internet gambling.

The idea that I had was that half the entree fees to the tournament could go to Ron Paul's campaign and half could go towards tournament prizes and paying to host it. Some basic information would have to be collected form people as they entered but besides that I wouldn't think it would be all that complicated to do?

What do you guys think?

Vetalem
10-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Great Idea. I think Poker Stars could host the event. (The do have private tournements but I dont know the details) Id be comfortable with a 50-100 dollar buy in. Anyone?

BLS
10-15-2007, 11:44 AM
I think this is a great idea. Logistically, it does pose some problems though.

for one, each person would need to make a donation to the campaign and then provide proof for that donation. You couldn't do it based on entry fees, because then the winner would have to donate a percentage to the campaign and it very well could be more than the maximum contribution.

you may have to setup a PAC or get a PAC involved to collect all the money.

I think 50% for the 'pot' is too much...but that's up to each person.
I would think giving 80% to the campaign would make more sense...but again..JMO.

mconder
10-15-2007, 11:47 AM
You could just make 80% of the entry fees a Ron Paul donation up front. That would work.

Trassin
10-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I would think a PAC would be the best way to go. The best way to do it would probably be to get one of the different organizatoins that sprung up in the wake of the ban on internet gambling to host it.

Anyone here happen to be in contact with one of those organizations?

TVMH
10-15-2007, 11:54 AM
I saw a post similar to this over at www.twoplustwo.com in the "Politics" section (go figure).

The guy was talking about a rebuy tourney with a $25 entry fee, then $25 for each rebuy, and then a $25 add-on at the first break.

Might be difficult to do on-line, unless there is a way to link the poker software with the donation software.

Or you might be able to track rebuys and addons as pledges...might be able withhold payment to the winner until all pledges are paid and then utilize peer pressure to make sure the pledges are paid.

belian78
10-15-2007, 11:56 AM
I would definately be up for something like this! what? combine two of my most favorite things? poker AND Ron Paul campaigning... i may need to sit down.. :p i hope this goes somewhere, I' really like to see this happen.

Bluedevil
10-15-2007, 11:59 AM
I would play too. I think only 25% should go to the campaign. Its like the Laffer curve, if you make tax rates too high you get less revenue.

ItsTime
10-15-2007, 12:06 PM
contact FTP and ask them to set up a charity tournie. The entry fee goes to the charity. IE Bad Beat on Cancer holds a tourney every month for $5 buy in plus $5 entry fee. So $10 total to buy in and $5 from each player goes to Bad Beat on Cancer and the other $5 goes to the prize pool.

You can make the buy in anything you want (basiclly)

McDermit
10-15-2007, 12:07 PM
$50 buy-in, 50% donation? That'd be reasonable, methinks.

McDermit
10-15-2007, 12:08 PM
contact FTP and ask them to set up a charity tournie. The entry fee goes to the charity. IE Bad Beat on Cancer holds a tourney every month for $5 buy in plus $5 entry fee. So $10 total to buy in and $5 from each player goes to Bad Beat on Cancer and the other $5 goes to the prize pool.

That's the way to go then. Could you do a "charity" tourney for politics though? They might have rules against it.

ItsTime
10-15-2007, 12:15 PM
I dont know.

That's the way to go then. Could you do a "charity" tourney for politics though? They might have rules against it.

Elwar
10-15-2007, 12:15 PM
I thought about this just last night myself :)

My idea was having a local game where everyone signs in by donating $100 to Ron Paul on his site, then they go on to the table.

Then have someone else donate the prize. Maybe a signed Constitution or plane tickets or something.

I wasn't thinking of something as big as doing it online...

TVMH
10-15-2007, 12:23 PM
I thought about this just last night myself :)

My idea was having a local game where everyone signs in by donating $100 to Ron Paul on his site, then they go on to the table.

Then have someone else donate the prize. Maybe a signed Constitution or plane tickets or something.

Prior donation would probably be the best way to go...have the players go on-line and donate, then forward the Confirmation # to the tourney organizer.

Once the Confirmation # is received, the tourney organizer can send a password to the tourney entrant. (I don't think an online re-buy/add-on tourney is logistically feasible..."live", yes...online, no.)

It would be like a freeroll...no money to play in the tourney required, just a Confirmation #...hafta make sure they are authentic, too.

Trassin
10-15-2007, 12:24 PM

Yeah, neither was I, mostly because of the ban on online gambling for cash in the states. But I think this is something that could still be a huge success in a major city that allows gambling; Vegas, Reno, and Atlanta are the first three that come to mind.

You might even be able to get some of the "poker celebraties" involved. Especially the ones that got their start through online games.

jgmaynard
10-15-2007, 12:45 PM
I think 50% is the norm for poker events, and heck YEAH I'd play at $25 :O)

JM

Bluedevil
10-15-2007, 12:51 PM
maybe what we could do is chip in and buy an ipod for the top prize. Then the whole $10 or $20 buy in could go to the campaign. A lot of random people would play too, no reason to make this a private tourney. We could maybe even convince one of the websites to send an email to all their members about the tournament.

Vetalem
10-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Prior donation would probably be the best way to go...have the players go on-line and donate, then forward the Confirmation # to the tourney organizer.

Once the Confirmation # is received, the tourney organizer can send a password to the tourney entrant. (I don't think an online re-buy/add-on tourney is logistically feasible..."live", yes...online, no.)

It would be like a freeroll...no money to play in the tourney required, just a Confirmation #...hafta make sure they are authentic, too.

Best Idea so far. I guess no money would be won, just bragging rights. How much would it cost to set up a free roll on Poker Stars, etc?

Jared Callanan
10-15-2007, 02:00 PM
maybe what we could do is chip in and buy an ipod for the top prize. Then the whole $10 or $20 buy in could go to the campaign. A lot of random people would play too, no reason to make this a private tourney. We could maybe even convince one of the websites to send an email to all their members about the tournament.

Thats a great idea! A chip in with some type of confirmation. We set up a private password only table so only the people that donated can play. $200 or so is taken off the top to pay for an ipod which goes to the winner.

swissmiss
10-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Easiest: Full tilt: No freerolls (but 15 USD prize is enough), full tilt wants 10% of buy-in.

Others:
Party: Affiliate needs to organize Tourni (200 players+)
Pokerstars: Only VIP players can start private tournis

(Info 1 year old)

Ah and yes, count me in

ItsTime
10-15-2007, 02:12 PM
I already told you all how to do it... it is really simple....

And it is not illegal to play online poker... it is illegal to fund it.

surf
10-15-2007, 02:37 PM
i'm in if it's something other that Texas Hold 'em. That is a pussy game - not real poker.

Real poker is 7-card stud - all black cards wild.

just kidding about the wild cards.

i like playing "roll your own" when i deal

Vetalem
10-15-2007, 02:48 PM
i'm in if it's something other that Texas Hold 'em. That is a pussy game - not real poker.

Real poker is 7-card stud - all black cards wild.

just kidding about the wild cards.

i like playing "roll your own" when i deal:D :D :D

I think most of us like Holdem No-Limit (maybe pot limit?) best. Therefore majority rules.

Trassin
10-16-2007, 09:33 AM
bump

Drknows
10-16-2007, 09:49 AM
I play here
http://www.absolutepoker.com/main.asp (http://www.absolutepoker.com/main.asp?host=a_77a_16317b_1384)

they have free tournaments with money prizes every hour and private tournaments.

Elwar
10-26-2007, 02:38 PM
After reading a few of this week's articles about Ron Paul meeting with poker players I say this idea is a necessity. As one site mentioned 1/4 Americans plays poker...that could be huge for Ron Paul if we got an online thing going.

With the online donations showing people's names...it could work like this:

The overall idea is...each person is in for $20 per tournament. They find the tournament and
they get with the person running it. They tell them their name and then they go donate $10
to Ron Paul and PayPal $10 to the person running it. They then send their confirmation e-mail
along with the person running it watching the ronpaul2008 page to confirm the donation.
From there, all the players play until there's a winner...the winner gets the $10 times each
player.

Logistics:
We need a web page with a list of times and availability for poker games.
Various "game leaders" sign up to get things going. (need a way to make sure they don't
take people's money and split)
"Game leaders" set up a tournament on some online poker site (whether that's creating
a private table on Yahoo or one of the many other poker sites...whichever)
"Game leader" sets a time on the website for when the game will start and when they will
start taking sign ups.
"Game leader" takes the paypal contributions and checks the donation page to verify each
player.
Once the game finishes the game leader sends the paypal money to the winner.

Any thoughts?

ghemminger
10-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Test