PDA

View Full Version : A new business model for retail stores expanding in WNY.

buffalokid777
07-18-2010, 06:43 AM
A retail store called Made In America Sore here in western New York has a new business model and is having much success with it. All things sold there are 100% Made in the USA. From raw materials to packaging and printing.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/business/Made-in-America-store-expanding

ELMA, N.Y. (WIVB) - An Elma store is expanding to offer more merchandise that's made in America.

This weekend, owner Mark Andol opened an additional 1,800 of space in his "Made in America" store on Maple Street. On this holiday meant to celebrate our nation, it's a place where Americans can buy American.

Made in America store manager Tim Hayes said, "The 4th of July our main focus is 100 percent American, right down to the packaging, the labeling, everything has to be 100 percent, and we have to take our country back. And the response, again, has been awesome."

Veterans and active service personnel receive a discount. The store receives calls and orders from as far away as the Pacific Northwest.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4136880/made-in-america-store

They guy who opened the store was also on FOX a few minutes ago, talking about expanding his store again and thinking about franchising, which crashed his website from the huge traffic he probably wasn't ready for, so it should be up again soon.

The website for the store is here for those interested when they get it back online.

http://www.saveourcountryfirst.com/

NiceGoing
07-18-2010, 07:32 AM
Great concept!!

LibForestPaul
07-18-2010, 07:43 AM
All things sold there are 100% Made in the USA

Like Guam and Puerto Rico?

Acala
07-18-2010, 07:48 AM
He mostly stocks derivative financial instruments. And meth.

james1906
07-18-2010, 08:57 AM
I have thought for a few years now that this would be a good business idea. There's an empty grocery store space near my house that I would think would work.

It'd be a mini-one stop shop. Clothes, housewares, electronics, and microbrews!

cindy25
07-18-2010, 08:37 PM
it won't work in the long run.

most electronics are note made in USA, so getting inventory a problem.
and in the long individuals buy based on their own individual interest, and if the Chinese product is $6 and the American made is $10 they will buy Chinese

Kludge
07-18-2010, 08:40 PM
I got a fantastic $3 t-shirt today at Walmart (+1 for wife).

It has a big US flag and below, it reads "Faded Glory."

It was made in Pakistan.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Why do people care where it is made? Do people expect Americans to be the #1 producer of everything? Kind of difficult considering America does not have the #1 resources, in all resources. This kind of thinking is....destructive in the long term. I suppose we should only buy American oil, too. I wonder how quick Americans would give up this ridiculous idea once gas reaches 30$ a gallon.

Orgoonian
07-18-2010, 10:46 PM
He mostly stocks derivative financial instruments. And meth.

I cant stop laughing!:D

specsaregood
07-18-2010, 10:48 PM
//

james1906
07-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Why do people care where it is made? Do people expect Americans to be the #1 producer of everything? Kind of difficult considering America does not have the #1 resources, in all resources. This kind of thinking is....destructive in the long term. I suppose we should only buy American oil, too. I wonder how quick Americans would give up this ridiculous idea once gas reaches 30$ a gallon.

Not #1, but you really can't be a sovereign nation, when all your means of production have been shifted to other countries.

Also, for gas...all Flying J branded gasoline (not the Flying J's with Conoco gas) is domestic. Sinclair gas all comes from the US or Canada.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Not #1, but you really can't be a sovereign nation, when all your means of production have been shifted to other countries.

Also, for gas...all Flying J branded gasoline (not the Flying J's with Conoco gas) is domestic. Sinclair gas all comes from the US or Canada.

That's nice, but what does that have to do with anything? If you could only buy American oil/gas, then prices would skyrocket because supply would drop like a rocket, and demand would stay the same (or increase given a supply drop).

You don't remember the 70s do you?

Anyways! The point I was trying to make is that Division of Labor & Free-Trade aren't our enemies. People completely miss the mark so much when it comes to economics. If only we kicked out all the immigrants, we would have jobs!!! If only we bought American only we would have jobs!!!

Ugh, its so infuriating, I wonder how Bastiat & Cobden dealt with it....Well, the truth will perservere onward. If you want prosperity, industry, wealth, and productive jobs the means to do it rests on solid economic grounds, not reactionary tripe. Lower/End taxation. Lower/end regulation. End monopolization and government cartelization. End mercantilist trade policies & institute free-trade. But...this you see is difficult. It takes brain power and logic to comprehend. It isn't as easy as the placation of the masses through Nationalism & propaganda.

Japan was not a wealthy nation by being an isolated country. History is rife with the destitution of peoples because of ill-policies; the same economic policies decried by populists & paleo-cons.

libertybrewcity
07-18-2010, 11:27 PM
That's nice, but what does that have to do with anything? If you could only buy American oil/gas, then prices would skyrocket because supply would drop like a rocket, and demand would stay the same (or increase given a supply drop).

Anyways! The point I was trying to make is that Division of Labor & Free-Trade aren't our enemies. People completely miss the mark so much when it comes to economics. If only we kicked out all the immigrants, we would have jobs!!! If only we bought American only we would have jobs!!!

Ugh, its so infuriating, I wonder how Bastiat & Cobden dealt with it....Well, the truth will perservere onward. If you want prosperity, industry, wealth, and productive jobs the means to do it rests on solid economic grounds, not reactionary tripe. Lower/End taxation. Lower/end regulation. End monopolization and government cartelization. End mercantilist trade policies & institute free-trade. But...this you see is difficult. It takes brain power and logic to comprehend. It isn't as easy as the placation of the masses through Nationalism & propaganda.

Japan was not a wealthy nation by being an isolated country. History is rife with the destitution of peoples because of ill-policies; the same economic policies decried by populists & paleo-cons.

So are you saying we should not buy anything made in America and only buy things from elsewhere?

low preference guy
07-18-2010, 11:31 PM
So are you saying we should not buy anything made in America and only buy things from elsewhere?

I can't read his mind, but I'm quite sure he is saying one should buy products based on quality and price. So if a product that beats others in price and quality is made in America, buy it. If a product that beats others in price and quality is made in Brazil, buy it too.

Anti Federalist
07-18-2010, 11:34 PM
I like this idea.

I would buy from this store.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-19-2010, 12:31 AM
I can't read his mind, but I'm quite sure he is saying one should buy products based on quality and price. So if a product that beats others in price and quality is made in America, buy it. If a product that beats others in price and quality is made in Brazil, buy it too.

^ Exactly.

buffalokid777
07-20-2010, 04:09 AM

There is a difference between natural resources and manufacturing. We don't have the oil reserves of other countries, such as the middle east, so there fore using that as an example is moot.

Steel on the other hand is different, we have plenty of natural resources to produce it here, yet there is almost no steel production here anymore, due to government subsidies for countries with cheap foreign labor so American manufacture could not compete, so our steel industry moved overseas.

If you have a global government where no one wars, then it is not a problem.

But what if we got in a war, with our steel producers, who cut us off? We would have to ramp up production immediately domestically to not be subjugated to a foreign power or go for mutual assured destruction through nukes.

Some industry needs to remain in the USA for national security reasons, unfortunately the hardcore managed trade globalists (free trade is what they call it) don't seem to understand this like the collectivist globalists at the CATO institute, who don't like to quote the fallacy of collectivism by Von Mises.

buffalokid777
07-20-2010, 04:12 AM
All things sold there are 100% Made in the USA

Like Guam and Puerto Rico?

Actually they are made 100% in the USA if you check the articles, the raw materials, the labor, the packaging, and the printing. Unlike the 50% parts the government requires to claim was made in the USA under managed trade agreements.

buffalokid777
07-20-2010, 04:20 AM

Japan has almost no natural resources, therefore they needed other countries to succeed, the USA has plenty of natural resources. Your argument fails.

TruckinMike
07-20-2010, 04:42 AM

This is an example of an ideologue gone mad.

TMike

james1906
07-20-2010, 06:28 AM

YES YES YES!!!! We move all the manufacturing overseas and become a service based economy! Everyone will have jobs serving coffee, building websites, and selling real estate. Can't get a job in that? Then the government will make one for you. You'd have to be a fucking idiot to think this would fail! Those founding fathers were fucking idiots advocating tariffs instead of taxes!

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-20-2010, 06:50 AM
YES YES YES!!!! We move all the manufacturing overseas and become a service based economy! Everyone will have jobs serving coffee, building websites, and selling real estate. Can't get a job in that? Then the government will make one for you. You'd have to be a fucking idiot to think this would fail! Those founding fathers were fucking idiots advocating tariffs instead of taxes!

Non-sequitor. I never claimed such things. In fact, I'm quite certain that manufacturing in America would far surpass any other Nation given, we eliminate taxation and regulation. You won't bring back manufacturing to America by "buying American". Care to provide some brilliant economic analysis to show me on what grounds this ever works? I mean, if you believe in Austrianism, well...it certainly isn't showing in this thread.

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will."

Cowlesy
07-20-2010, 06:55 AM
I like this idea.

I would buy from this store.

Me too.

I buy foreign made stuff all the time. But if you gave me a chance to support my neighbor versus someone I don't know, even if at a marginally higher cost, I'll support my neighbor. That of course is just my personal view.

A Son of Liberty
07-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Japan has almost no natural resources, therefore they needed other countries to succeed, the USA has plenty of natural resources. Your argument fails.

Did you read the rest of the post, or just the last sentence. His argument is grounded in fact and logic. It hardly fails.

buffalokid777
07-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Did you read the rest of the post, or just the last sentence. His argument is grounded in fact and logic. It hardly fails.

Yes I did read the rest of the post, did you read the rest of mine?

Oil is a natural resource. For true efficiency, natural resources that can be processed locally for sale locally should be with the excess exported, this is efficiency since it negates shipping costs except for exports.

But in Japans case where raw materials here such as ore, are shipped to Japan to be processed along with a Japanese government subsidy given to manufacturers to make it marginally cheaper than US steel due to shipping costs and shipped back here for a small discount, that is not efficiency. It is global managed trade for the benefit of a few, although the media calls it free trade. It is why we don't have a steel industry anymore and it is a national security threat.

A Son of Liberty
07-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Yes I did read the rest of the post, did you read the rest of mine?

I've highlighted what I consider to be AED's salient point:

We've regulated and taxed ourselves right out of competition. End that, and you'll surely see a return to industry in this country. Force Americans to buy "American-made" products under the current regime will only cause poverty and throw the entire market out of balance.

buffalokid777
07-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Lower/End taxation. Lower/end regulation. End monopolization and government cartelization. End mercantilist trade policies & institute free-trade.

I can agree with this, but what most people consider free trade is not such a thing.

How can free trade exist between 2 countries when 1 country can subsidize an industry for it's own benefit on 1 product at the expense of the partner by exploiting it's partners resources?

How can free trade exist between 2 countries when there are tariffs of any kind? on any product?

How can free trade exist between 2 countries when 1 of the counties manipulates it's currency for an export advantage.

Every single country we have so called free trade agreements with violates one of these three rules.

This is not free trade it is global managed trade unless all three rules are followed on ALL trade. We need to break EVERY trade agreement we have unless the country we trade with and us will follow all 3 rules I have put forth, good luck.

Free trade as described by Von Mises is actually what is now called fair trade, a level playing field for trade partners, so we can both produce most efficiently locally and trade our excess to our partners for what each other needs.

james1906
07-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Non-sequitor. I never claimed such things. In fact, I'm quite certain that manufacturing in America would far surpass any other Nation given, we eliminate taxation and regulation. You won't bring back manufacturing to America by "buying American". Care to provide some brilliant economic analysis to show me on what grounds this ever works? I mean, if you believe in Austrianism, well...it certainly isn't showing in this thread.

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will."

Why do people pay extra to buy organic produce?
Why do people pay extra to buy cruelty-free cosmetics?
Why do people pay extra to buy electricity from renewable resources?

You don't think a motivation exists to buy American?

jclay2
07-20-2010, 06:42 PM

Well Said +1776

dannno
07-20-2010, 06:43 PM
What we really need to do is start opening these stores in China.