PDA

View Full Version : Washington Post: So who wants to join Rand Paul's "tea-party" caucus?

bobbyw24
07-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Republican lawmakers gird for rowdy tea party

By Shailagh Murray
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, July 18, 2010; A03

So who wants to join Rand Paul's "tea-party" caucus?

"I don't know about that," Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) replied with a nervous laugh. "I'm not sure I should be participating in this story."

Republican lawmakers see plenty of good in the tea party, but they also see reasons to worry. The movement, which has ignited passion among conservative voters and pushed big government to the forefront of the 2010 election debate, has also stirred quite a bit of controversy. Voters who don't want to privatize Social Security or withdraw from the United Nations could begin to see the tea party and the Republican Party as one and the same.

Paul, the GOP Senate nominee in Kentucky, floated the idea of forming an official caucus for tea-party-minded senators in an interview in the National Review as one way he would shake up Washington. Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), one of the movement's favorite incumbents, filed paperwork on Thursday to register a similar group in the House "to promote Americans' call for fiscal responsibility, adherence to the Constitution, and limited government."

In six states -- Kentucky, Nevada, Florida, Utah, Colorado and Minnesota -- tea-party-backed Republican Senate candidates have won nomination or are favored in upcoming primaries. They are attracting outsize attention not only from Democrats and the media, but from conservative leaders such as former Alaska governor Sarah Palin and Fox News host Glenn Beck.

Republicans such as Paul and Sharron Angle in Nevada may hold provocative views, but "they're our nominees and I think we ought to get behind them 100 percent," said Sen. John Cornyn (Tex.).

"The candidates are not ours to choose," said Cornyn, chairman of the Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee. "They're the choice of the primary voters in the states, and I think we should respect their choices."

Yet some Republicans worry that tea-party candidates are settling too comfortably into their roles as unruly insurgents and could prove hard to manage if they get elected. Paul, who beat GOP establishment favorite Trey Grayson in Kentucky's primary, told the National Review that he would seek to join forces with GOP Sens. Jim DeMint (S.C.) and Tom Coburn (Okla.), "who are unafraid to stand up" and who have blocked numerous bills advanced by both parties deemed by the pair as expanding government.

"If we get another loud voice in there, like Mike Lee from Utah or Sharron Angle from Nevada, there will be a new nucleus" to advocate causes such as term limits, a balanced-budget amendment and "having bills point to where they are enumerated in the Constitution," Paul said in the interview.

Former Senate majority leader Trent Lott (R-Miss.), now a D.C. lobbyist, warned that a robust bloc of rabble-rousers spells further Senate dysfunction. "We don't need a lot of Jim DeMint disciples," Lott said in an interview. "As soon as they get here, we need to co-opt them."

But Lott said he's not expecting a tea-party sweep. "I still have faith in the visceral judgment of the American people," he said.

Sen. Robert F. Bennett (R-Utah), who failed to survive his party's nominating process after running afoul of local tea-party activists, told a local Associated Press reporter last week that the GOP had jeopardized its chance to win Senate seats in Republican-leaning states such as Nevada and Kentucky and potentially in Colorado, where tea-party favorite Ken Buck has surged ahead of Lt. Gov. Jane Norton in their primary battle.

Bennett warned that such candidates are stealing attention from top GOP recruits such as Mike Castle in Delaware and John Hoeven in North Dakota, both of whom are favored to win seats held by Democrats. Nor are they helping the Republican Party to resolve its deeper identity problems, he said.

"That's my concern, that at the moment there is not a cohesive Republican strategy of this is what we're going to do," Bennett told the AP. "And certainly among the tea-party types there's clearly no strategy of this is what we're going to do."

thomas-in-ky
07-18-2010, 06:09 AM
"If we get another loud voice in there, like Mike Lee from Utah or Sharron Angle from Nevada, there will be a new nucleus" to advocate causes such as term limits, a balanced-budget amendment and "having bills point to where they are enumerated in the Constitution," Paul said in the interview.

Former Senate majority leader Trent Lott (R-Miss.), now a D.C. lobbyist, warned that a robust bloc of rabble-rousers spells further Senate dysfunction. "We don't need a lot of Jim DeMint disciples," Lott said in an interview. "As soon as they get here, we need to co-opt them."

But Lott said he's not expecting a tea-party sweep. "I still have faith in the visceral judgment of the American people," he said.

Wow. We definitely elected the right guy in the KY republican primary! Is there a source for the Trent Lott quotes other than "in an interview"?

bobbyw24
07-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Trent Lott's comments are interesting

TheDriver
07-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Note to Trent Lott:

If we currently had enough "Senate dysfunction" we wouldn't have had Obamacare shoved down our throats. So, perhaps, in order to stop the Obama agenda -- Senate dysfunction is needed.

Cowlesy
07-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Trent Lott's comments are interesting

Yeah, WTF Trent!

Everyone I know is counting on Rand to be a wrench in the gears of the goings-on in DC.

I don't want him to do anything except repeal stuff that is not enumerated as a power of the federal government in the constitution, and uphold those powers which are enumerated. Nothing more, nothing less.

If that means he gridlocks the Senate for six years, I will consider him a hero.

Cowlesy
07-18-2010, 09:58 AM
The other thing I noticed, is that Trent is now a lobbyist in DC. That's the only way he knows how to put bread on his and his family's table, is to navigate Washington DC. That says volumes about why he's against Senators who want to stop the madness in DC.

TheDriver
07-18-2010, 09:59 AM
The other thing I noticed, is that Trent is now a lobbyist in DC. That's the only way he knows how to put bread on his and his family's table, is to navigate Washington DC. That says volumes about why he's against Senators who want to stop the madness in DC.

I wonder if he (Trent) has heard of that "idea" Rand has about not being able to lobby congress if you have a contract with the feds? :D

bobbyw24
07-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Yeah, WTF Trent!

Everyone I know is counting on Rand to be a wrench in the gears of the goings-on in DC.

I don't want him to do anything except repeal stuff that is not enumerated as a power of the federal government in the constitution, and uphold those powers which are enumerated. Nothing more, nothing less.

If that means he gridlocks the Senate for six years, I will consider him a hero.

This

torchbearer
07-18-2010, 10:32 AM

funny, Trent is one of the biggest recipients of farm subsidies. he is a welfare queen.

MRoCkEd
07-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Wow!

TheDriver
07-18-2010, 10:40 AM
funny, Trent is one of the biggest recipients of farm subsidies. he is a welfare queen.

Why are so many Republicans not fiscal conservatives? What kind of fiscal conservatives pushes for welfare to grow corn? If I farmer can't grow corn for profit without Uncle Sam watching over him, let someone else do it or raise the price.

Oh, but that's right... it's the fuel of the future and Uncle Sam is here to save the day. :rolleyes:

Preaching to the choir...

Gage
07-18-2010, 02:06 PM
In six states -- Kentucky, Nevada, Florida, Utah, Colorado and Minnesota -- tea-party-backed Republican Senate candidates have won nomination or are favored in upcoming primaries.

There isn't even a Senate race in Minnesota this year.

low preference guy
07-18-2010, 02:13 PM
There isn't even a Senate race in Minnesota this year.

Maybe they meant Wisconsin?

DeadheadForPaul
07-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Lott's comments really surprised me to some degree

I think a lot of the establishment Republicans (Lott being a major former establishment guy) mock or dislike the Tea Party behind closed doors

They like any negativity against the President but really don't want Tea Party candidates to win - there's probably some bitterness since a lot of their establishment buddies have to wait another 6 years to run

And they clearly plan to crush any successful Tea Party candidates and tame them once in office

Lott's comments almost seem to suggest that he'd rather have the Dems win than Tea Party candidates...

low preference guy
07-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Lott's comments almost seem to suggest that he'd rather have the Dems win than Tea Party candidates...

He doesn't "seem to suggest". He explicitly says he wants Democrats to win.

AuH20
07-18-2010, 08:11 PM
The parasites are getting nervous. Very encouraging.

Matt Collins
07-19-2010, 01:23 AM
Can you please link directly to the source? I'd like to see this...

low preference guy
07-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Can you please link directly to the source? I'd like to see this...

The link was probably broken because it's a smear site. Try googling a few of the words, putting quotes around them.

Matt Collins
07-19-2010, 01:36 AM
The link was probably broken because it's a smear site. Try googling a few of the words, putting quotes around them.
Yeah, I'm sleep deprived and wasn't matching up the headlines.

Here is the link but it requires registration:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/17/AR2010071702375.html?sub=AR

To login and see the article without registering use:
username: fakedude1
password: fakepass
(courtesy of www.BugMeNot.com (http://www.BugMeNot.com))

JaylieWoW
07-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Lott's comments really surprised me to some degree

I think a lot of the establishment Republicans (Lott being a major former establishment guy) mock or dislike the Tea Party behind closed doors

They like any negativity against the President but really don't want Tea Party candidates to win - there's probably some bitterness since a lot of their establishment buddies have to wait another 6 years to run

And they clearly plan to crush any successful Tea Party candidates and tame them once in office

I've been thinking this for quite some time now and agree 100%. Not only mockery and dislike, but also plotting to discover ways the TPM can be used to their advantage while completely ignoring the nut of the protest.

sailingaway
07-19-2010, 08:00 AM
I've been thinking this for quite some time now and agree 100%. Not only mockery and dislike, but also plotting to discover ways the TPM can be used to their advantage while completely ignoring the nut of the protest.

Oh, yeah. It is like the Dem media withholding their attack until after the primaries. It isn't that they are supportive but that a tea party win serves their interests, they think, up to a point.

Lott is out of business if a majority of senators take Rand's anti-cronyism positions. Parasite is right.

Anti Federalist
07-19-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm shamelessly cross posting the Trent Lott "co opt" remarks.

Matt Collins
07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm shamelessly cross posting the Trent Lott "co opt" remarks.
Thanks. That is probably the biggest part of the story to be honest. However I'm going to spread around Senator Bob Corker's remarks. In Tennessee he is often called Senator "Bailout" Bob Corker.