PDA

View Full Version : Citizen shoots and kills roaming police dog.

Anti Federalist
07-17-2010, 07:55 PM
This was a surprise.

Sad for the dog, but still...

http://www.redding.com/news/2010/jul/15/sheriffs-dog-shot-in-escape/
A Siskiyou County Sheriff’s dog was shot and killed early Tuesday after escaping from his pen to romp in a neighbor’s yard.

Gotto, a 12-year-old 80-pound Belgian Malinois shepherd, had worked eight years as a sheriff’s dog. He was a month from retirement, a department spokesman said.

Gotto, who lived and worked with sheriff’s Sgt. Behr Tharsing, helped deputies find missing persons and track down suspected criminals. He also specialized in sniffing out drugs, once finding 3½ pounds of crystal meth, the spokesman said.

An unidentified Montague man arriving home early Tuesday morning found Gotto in his yard. The neighbor’s own dog was in heat and he had sheep on his property, sheriff’s Capt. Jim Betts said.

The neighbor, who did not recognize Gotto as a police dog, tried to get him to leave. But the dog would not obey and became confrontational, Betts said.

The neighbor felt threatened and shot Gotto, said Betts.

That same neighbor later brought Gotto to law enforcement authorities after learning his identity, he said.

The neighbor, whose name was not released, will not be criminally charged, Betts said.

noxagol
07-17-2010, 08:15 PM
That last line is a major surprise honestly.

cindy25
07-17-2010, 08:16 PM
no different than when police murder a dog.

its wrong, the guy should be charged, his guns taken away.

libertybrewcity
07-17-2010, 08:19 PM

why is that? if you felt threatened by a dog that is well trained and could probably kill, wouldn't you shoot it too?

YouTube - Police Dog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcdYzCsKVn8)
YouTube - Bad Ass Police Dog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfi5FVs63Jo&feature=related)

TNforPaul45
07-17-2010, 09:44 PM
They remind me of Velociraptors...

Now wouldn't that be something. Police Velociraptors.

james1906
07-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Unlike my neighbor, who was arrested for shooting my dog on my property from behind a fence, this guy might have had justification for shooting the dog. Still a tragedy.

The officer should be disciplined for having the police dog escape. That's inexcusable.

JeNNiF00F00
07-17-2010, 09:56 PM

Kregisen
07-17-2010, 10:05 PM
A sad and ironic story.

jbrace
07-17-2010, 10:22 PM

Cops often times kill a dog on private property. This is a case where a dog came onto private property and showed threatening behavior towards the owner and his livestock. This man was 100% in the right in putting the dog down.

eOs
07-17-2010, 10:28 PM
yes, very ironic is all i can say

libertybrewcity
07-17-2010, 10:41 PM
They remind me of Velociraptors...

Now wouldn't that be something. Police Velociraptors.

Only in Jurassic Park TN! :D

cindy25
07-17-2010, 10:52 PM
why is that? if you felt threatened by a dog that is well trained and could probably kill, wouldn't you shoot it too?

YouTube - Bad Ass Police Dog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfi5FVs63Jo&feature=related)

no I wouldn't; this guy confronted the dog; he could have stayed in his house, called the police.
what if it had been a teenager? could he also just shoot him?

too much shooting first, both police and non-police

Kregisen
07-17-2010, 11:19 PM
no I wouldn't; this guy confronted the dog; he could have stayed in his house, called the police.

If a teenager attacked him, he would have every right to shoot the teenager.

If the dog was looking threatening on your own property, you should be able to shoot it.

Obviously there's no video so we don't know what actually happened....and you still want the government to take away the guy's guns for this?

Crazy people on these forums sometimes......

Imperial
07-17-2010, 11:26 PM
This was a surprise.

Sad for the dog, but still...

http://www.redding.com/news/2010/jul/15/sheriffs-dog-shot-in-escape/
A Siskiyou County Sheriff’s dog was shot and killed early Tuesday after escaping from his pen to romp in a neighbor’s yard.

Gotto, a 12-year-old 80-pound Belgian Malinois shepherd, had worked eight years as a sheriff’s dog. He was a month from retirement, a department spokesman said.

Gotto, who lived and worked with sheriff’s Sgt. Behr Tharsing, helped deputies find missing persons and track down suspected criminals. He also specialized in sniffing out drugs, once finding 3½ pounds of crystal meth, the spokesman said.

An unidentified Montague man arriving home early Tuesday morning found Gotto in his yard. The neighbor’s own dog was in heat and he had sheep on his property, sheriff’s Capt. Jim Betts said.

The neighbor, who did not recognize Gotto as a police dog, tried to get him to leave. But the dog would not obey and became confrontational, Betts said.

The neighbor felt threatened and shot Gotto, said Betts.

That same neighbor later brought Gotto to law enforcement authorities after learning his identity, he said.

The neighbor, whose name was not released, will not be criminally charged, Betts said.

Obviously we have no video to say who was right or wrong or whatever in this situation. Sometimes tragic things just happen.

michaelwise
07-18-2010, 12:05 AM
It's good to see well armed citizens are willing to use deadly force as well when justified. It sort of levels the playing field.

Anti Federalist
07-18-2010, 12:50 AM
That last line is a major surprise honestly.

No kidding, I had to read the story twice.

I thought for sure he would have been hauled off to jail.

Brian4Liberty
07-18-2010, 01:08 AM

That is well known as a training video. It is not a real video/situation.

Killing wandering dogs is a bad thing in general. Yet again, if you have prey animals like sheep, any dogs are a lethal hazard...

You won't feel so bad for the dogs when they kill your sheep, goats or chickens...

johngr
07-18-2010, 05:30 AM
A sad and ironic story.

A "man bites dog" story as well.

j6p
07-18-2010, 07:12 AM
He should of just pounded (beat the crap) out of the owner of the dog, instead of shooting the dog, that doesnt know any better. It's still self-defense even if the owner was no where near the attack, they are still responsible for there animal.

Golding
07-18-2010, 07:12 AM
That's what the dog gets for being a statist.

LiveFree79
07-18-2010, 09:01 AM
I feel sorry for the dog. And for the most part you've got to be a complete idiot to not know the difference between some stray violent dog and a well trained, well built Police Malinois. They are beautiful built dogs. That being said this was this man's PRIVATE PROPERTY! He had every right to shoot and kill this dog. He had livestock on his property. Hell I have two dogs myself a boxer and a shizu. If ANY dog came onto my property and hurt them I would drop it in a heartbeat. Hell if some human ever hurt my dogs I would do the same on my own damn property.

But again it didn't seem like the dog was actually doing anything threatening. For this guy to just shoot the damn thing just because it was being "confrontational" sounds a little premature in my opinion. I would think he would have called the police first.

coastie
07-18-2010, 10:46 AM

:eek:

Its very different when police murder a dog. When police murder dogs, it's usually they who are initiating the violence. This animal entered this man's PROPERTY, where other, living PROPERTY was. You dont believe in the defense of property?

It was on HIS PROPERTY. If that dog came onto my property, I wouldn't have hesitated to shoot it, as I have an 11 yr old and 6 yr old, and an 8lb Shih-poo that thinks she weighs 200lbs, and flips out when another animal-human or four legs-enters our property, as she should.

Teenagers-same thing. If the teenager was threatening my family with violence-hope he lived a happy short life. What, teenagers can't harm you because...they're teenagers? I'm not following your logic here.

I shot a pit bull about 5 yrs ago on my property. My 6yr old and 1 yr old were playing in the yard, the dog was displaying aggressive body language, and he was not backing down when I came out and repeatedly shouted and threw shit at it to leave. It was mere coincidence I happened to walk out of the house at that moment. There are other children in my neighborhood who were outside playing as well...

Guess it was better to cower in the house and call the police to do it, and just hope he didn't attack any other children/adults in the neighborhood while we waited, right?:rolleyes: I'm a hope in one hand, shit in the other type of guy.

Funny thing-here in the Panama City area, there is actually a police dog on the loose right now, just read it in the paper the other day. Will I go chasing after it if he shows up? Absolutely not. He gets into my yard-game over. These dogs are easily capable of killing a small child/elderly person, and doing serious damage and/or death to even someone my size ( 5' 11"/ 210lbs with military Law Enforcement training).

PS- before any pit bull lovers attack me, no, I dont think they're all aggressive, just happened to be the breed that did it.

RideTheDirt
07-18-2010, 12:10 PM
sucks for the dog, but if an animal (don't care if it walks on two or four legs) threatens someone's life then it's no longer time to play nice.

JeNNiF00F00
07-18-2010, 12:13 PM

Brian4Liberty
07-18-2010, 12:20 PM
I would think he would have called the police first.

Or the Dogcatcher. ;)

coastie
07-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Or the Dogcatcher. ;)

And wait for how long?

This is the same thing as waiting for the police to come to your rescue when a human is breaking into your home. You dont just assume that they're not gonna hurt you and only want money.

Funny how everything changes when the "animal" attacking has a cute fur coat.

james1906
07-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Animal control doesn't show up where I live.