PDA

View Full Version : Straw Polls vs Traditional scientific telephone rigged polls

peruvianRP
10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
So, Which on these 2 are more credible?

awigo50
10-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Neither is foolproof.

In the case of straw polls, many people are interested enough to vote in who they believe in, but not interested enough to go out and support them actively. Most supporters are passive supporters.

In the case of telephone surveys, you get people who pick a choice but don't necessarily care or have an opinion about most of the canidates. Even if you poll someone today about who they will vote for, they might not investigate the canidates until a few days before the election - while they have no time to educate themselves before a telephone poll. This is why name recognition is key in these polls.

libertarianguy
10-15-2007, 10:53 AM
test

paulitics
10-15-2007, 11:24 AM
anyway, phone polls mesaure idiots, straw polls measure fanatics

precisely!

Bradley in DC
10-15-2007, 11:32 AM
They measure very different things. It is far more likely, however, for a straw poll to be "rigged" than a professional scientific one.

ross11988
10-15-2007, 11:38 AM
precisely!

also the reasons why we got the primaries in the bag if we continue at the current rate

EvoPro
10-15-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't think either are close to accurate.

A more accurate measure would be a straw poll where people can only vote if they live within the bounds of the town where the poll takes place.

EvoPro
10-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Who is moving the threads and why?

[Edit:] I guess it's fine to move them as long as they are consistently moved.

Bradley in DC
10-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Who is moving the threads and why?

[Edit:] I guess it's fine to move them as long as they are consistently moved.

Threads posted in the right place (that don't degenate into "hot topics") don't get moved.

Paulitician
10-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Which is more credible? I would say the telephone polls in general. That's not to say I believe we are way at the bottom (but I'm realistic enough to know we are not at the top). Nonetheless, I think they're good at measuring name recognition, and the fact that Thompson has gone up just goes to show that media has been paying a lot of attention to him, as opposed to Ron Paul who gets very little mention (in the latest gallup 70% of people did not know of him or had no opinion about him). The problem with them, though, is that leave out a lot of Ron Paul's support and there are many reasons for that but I think most of us already know them. Straws Polls aren't that credible because you usually have to pay and it seems more like a grassroots type thing. Ideally, you'd want to do well in both of them if you're going to expect to win, or do exceptionally well in one type of poll and do ok in the other. We still have a ways to go. Thankfully, there is still time.

libertarianguy
10-15-2007, 01:23 PM
test