PDA

View Full Version : Another Federal mandate passes with little fanfare

Brian4Liberty
07-17-2010, 12:19 PM
This week they sneaked another Federal mandate for you to purchase a product through the House (insurance). Not a lot of news on this one. It was applauded by the insurance industry (surprise!). The fact that a similar law has been on the books since 1968 made this less controversial, but no less dangerous. The real key to this collusionary action between the government and the insurance industry is that they are rewriting the FEMA flood maps to include many more homeowners. Hello, you are now in a flood zone, and you must buy flood insurance! And the main excuse to update the maps? "Climate change".

According to preliminary reports, don't be surprised if the new flood maps show you in the flood zone and not your next door neighbor. They appear to be gerrymandering the new maps. Of one thing you can be sure, no one is being removed from a flood zone.

Global warming is going to get expensive...

http://insurancenewsnet.com/article.aspx?id=208242

Today, U.S. Rep. Michael A. Arcuri (NY-24) joined Mayor Gerald Whitehead and other local officials along with impacted residents and business owners to discuss the Flood Insurance Reform Priorities Act of 2010 (H.R. 5114), which passed in the U.S. House of Representatives with strong bipartisan support on Thursday, July 15, 2010. As thousands of families and businesses across Upstate New York face a new requirement to purchase flood insurance as they are remapped by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) into new flood zone boundaries
http://insurancenewsnet.com/article.aspx?id=208219

FEMA is required to establish flood-risk zones, which determine if property owners must purchase flood insurance. The current five-year flood map modernization initiative aims to update, revise and digitize the flood maps for more than 20,000 communities across the country in response to climate change, increased incidence of flood disasters, and changes to the environment and landscape over time.

Under the National Flood Insurance Program, created by Congress in 1968, property owners in flood-risk zones are required to purchase federally subsidized flood insurance if their property has a mortgage that is backed by the federal government.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2010-447

House Vote On Passage: H.R. 5114: Flood Insurance Reform Priorities Act of 2010
Number: House Vote #447 in 2010 [primary source: house.gov]
Date: Jul 15, 2010 2:35PM
Result: Passed

http://insurancenewsnet.com/article.aspx?id=208242

PIA Applauds House Passage of Flood Insurance Bill, Urges Improvements in the Senate
July 17, 2010

ALEXANDRIA, Va., July 16 -- The National Association of Professional Insurance Agents issued the following news release:

The National Association of Professional Insurance Agents (PIA) applauds the House of Representatives for passing the Flood Insurance Reform and Priorities Act of 2010 (H.R. 5114). The bill was approved by a vote of 320-90.

"The overwhelming margin of approval demonstrates that there is very broad support for the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and for common-sense reforms to make it better," said PIA Executive Vice President & CEO Leonard C. Brevik. "The five year reauthorization included in the bill will provide the certainty needed to ensure that the flood insurance program continues to provide affordable protection to homeowners and business owners without needless interruptions. We urge the Senate to follow suit and approve H.R. 5114, with some improvements."

Brian4Liberty
07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
In the ensuing years the once-solvent program had to pay out some $17 billion in Katrina-related claims and had to deal with FEMA flood zone remapping that has thrust thousands of homes and businesses into areas where they are required to buy flood insurance.

Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., the chief sponsor of the bill, said it helps reduce the sticker shock of FEMA remapping by delaying the mandatory buying of insurance for five years and then phasing in full premiums over another five years.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iEH1ev8ldnrd2ZJ9EHfRae1JyraAD9GVMV3G0

Well, if it helps reduce the sticker shock of the new mandate, then it's a good thing... :rolleyes:

Elwar
07-19-2010, 02:30 PM
I was having difficulty with this when trying to sell my old house in Texas. According to FEMA it was in a flood zone but since it flooded about 10 years ago they created some ditches and changed the flow of the "river" that was shown to run right through my property on the FEMA maps.
But even though the city updated the map, FEMA didn't. So I was still paying flood insurance. We worked with as many people as we could to get it off of the map but they finally told us it would be updated in the September update of the maps. We sold the house assuring the buyer that it wouldn't be in a flood zone by September, along with all of the documentation.

Brian4Liberty
07-19-2010, 07:47 PM
I was having difficulty with this when trying to sell my old house in Texas. According to FEMA it was in a flood zone but since it flooded about 10 years ago they created some ditches and changed the flow of the "river" that was shown to run right through my property on the FEMA maps.
But even though the city updated the map, FEMA didn't. So I was still paying flood insurance. We worked with as many people as we could to get it off of the map but they finally told us it would be updated in the September update of the maps. We sold the house assuring the buyer that it wouldn't be in a flood zone by September, along with all of the documentation.

This is going to be a big surprise for all of the people that are being added to flood zones on the FEMA maps.

Kylie
07-19-2010, 09:09 PM
we are in the new flood zone. but to their defense our house is built on old riverbed and is only dry because of the levee and pumping stations.