PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Will I get out of jury duty if I show up drunk?

james1906
07-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Never done it, just curious

paulpwns
07-17-2010, 12:33 AM
I am pretty sure you would be arrested for public drunkenness.

james1906
07-17-2010, 12:36 AM

But the state makes you leave your house against your will for jury duty. Entrapment?

Kregisen
07-17-2010, 12:42 AM
They'd probably say how perfect for the job you were

squarepusher
07-17-2010, 12:43 AM
you would goto jail for contempt of court

paulpwns
07-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Maybe 5th amendment because they are forcing you to incriminate yourself.

Doubt it though.

Supreme court doesn't give us shit on 5th amendment.

Example:

In 2004, the Supreme Court ruled in Hiibel vs. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, that laws that require a person to disclose his identity to a police officer do not violate the Fifth Amendment's Self-Incrimination Clause. If an officer has a reasonable suspicion that there is a crime in the making or has already been committed by this person, he can legally ask the person to identify himself and the person must comply or be charged with obstructing an officer in discharging his duty. The person does not, however, have to answer further questions. So if you're ever asked to identify yourself by an officer, do it!

Kludge
07-17-2010, 01:15 AM
But the state makes you leave your house against your will for jury duty. Entrapment?
:D

noxagol
07-17-2010, 05:33 AM
Yes. I don't think it will get you out of it straight up, but rather none of the attorneys would pick you. Or maybe they would. Who really knows.

tangent4ronpaul
07-17-2010, 06:12 AM
Whatever the person is charged with, go off on a rant about how that is your pet peeve and you would love the chance to lock the SOB up....

You will get dropped like a hot potato!

-t

[s: of you show up drunk, be sure you have someone drive you there that will state that and drive you back home.

noxagol
07-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Whatever the person is charged with, go off on a rant about how that is your pet peeve and you would love the chance to lock the SOB up....

You will get dropped like a hot potato!

-t

[s: of you show up drunk, be sure you have someone drive you there that will state that and drive you back home.

I don't think you know what the trial is for before you actually start it. They try to not tell you that and the lawyers don't either.

libertybrewcity
07-17-2010, 06:37 AM
stupid question.

pcosmar
07-17-2010, 07:39 AM
stupid question.

Agreed.
Yes, you would likely "get out" of it, but you may also be arrested for it.
Why not make every effort to get on the jury?
Nullify the dumb laws, or at least educate 11 other people.

Fr3shjive
07-17-2010, 08:06 AM
+1

You might want to think this one over again.:)

w2992
07-17-2010, 08:24 AM
get on the jury then let a non violent offender walk free. you will never be called for jury duty again. I was called every few months then i stood up against 11 other jurers who wanted to give a black man 20 yrs for selling a box of ritz crackers to an undercover agent. I have not had a summons in 30 yrs

ClayTrainor
07-17-2010, 08:26 AM
get on the jury then let a non violent offender walk free. you will never be called for jury duty again. I was called every few months then i stood up against 11 other jurers who wanted to give a black man 20 yrs for selling a box of ritz crackers to an undercover agent. I have not had a summons in 30 yrs

Selling Ritz Crackers is a crime? :confused:

w2992
07-17-2010, 08:30 AM
if you wrap it in brown paper and say its coke then exchange it for $100k

angelatc
07-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Never done it, just curious

Yes, but you'd go to jail for contempt of court, public drunkeness...all kinds of things.

Why on earth would you want to get out of it? My husband sat on a drunk driving jury, managed to convince the other jurors that the state didn't actually have any legitimate evidence, and got the guy off.

My other friend sat on one where a black lawyer tried to convince an all-white jury that in black American culture, jumping out of car at a gas station and shooting a guy in the knee was a socially acceptable way to say, "Hey! I am sort of angry with you." The other jurors almost bought into it!

In any event, if you want to patsy out of it, just say "I believe in jury nullification!" and you'll be done.

angelatc
07-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Maybe 5th amendment because they are forcing you to incriminate yourself.

Doubt it though.

Supreme court doesn't give us shit on 5th amendment.
Example:

In 2004, the Supreme Court ruled in Hiibel vs. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, that laws that require a person to disclose his identity to a police officer do not violate the Fifth Amendment's Self-Incrimination Clause. If an officer has a reasonable suspicion that there is a crime in the making or has already been committed by this person, he can legally ask the person to identify himself and the person must comply or be charged with obstructing an officer in discharging his duty. The person does not, however, have to answer further questions. So if you're ever asked to identify yourself by an officer, do it!

You're misreading that. Unless the officer has reasonable suspicion that there is a crime about to take place or that you've recently committed one, you do not need to identify yourself. So you are within your rights to ask him if you are suspected of a crime before answering that.

Lucille
07-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Agreed.
Yes, you would likely "get out" of it, but you may also be arrested for it.
Why not make every effort to get on the jury?
Nullify the dumb laws, or at least educate 11 other people.

This.

I was called for jury duty a few years back, and the judge outed me as a potential nullifier (http://fija.org/). Damn him and his probing questions! Anyways, I received another questionnaire last week, and I was so happy! I thought for sure I was blacklisted.

This time, I am determined to make it through Voir Dire or, failing that, educate the others on their right and duty to nullify stupid laws.

malkusm
07-17-2010, 08:46 AM
This.

I was called for jury duty a few years back, and the judge outed me as a potential nullifier (http://fija.org/). Damn him and his probing questions! Anyways, I received another questionnaire last week, and I was so happy! I thought for sure I was blacklisted.

This time, I am determined to make it through Voir Dire or, failing that, educate the others on their right and duty to nullify stupid laws.

God bless you.

Folks, we are the most educated citizens when it comes to law and the Constitution. It's our duty to get on the jury and to uphold the law as it was meant to be upheld. Jury nullification is a seldom-used method of protecting non-violent offenders from the tyranny of unjust laws. We also know better than anyone what "beyond a reasonable doubt" means.

Go get on a jury and kick some ass.

angelatc
07-17-2010, 09:30 AM
This.

How did they catch you? Just so the rest of us don't fall for the same technique.

Lucille
07-17-2010, 10:14 AM
How did they catch you? Just so the rest of us don't fall for the same technique.

He must have had some experience with nullification, since he asked directly if any of us would have a problem judging the case on the facts and come to a conclusion based on the law as written (paraphrased). I had to raise my hand, or I would have been in deep trouble later on for lying.

I did get a chance to talk about nullification though! I said something like, "I believe the jury is the last defense of the Constitution, and jurors have a right and a duty to judge both the law and the facts of the case." We went back and forth about it for a while, until he dismissed me with, "We need jurors who will follow the law!"

It was a long trial (http://azdailysun.com/search/?l=50&sd=desc&s=start_time&f=html&q=Scott+R.+Rapp), and man was he pissed off at me, since it's hard enough to get jurors for a few days, let alone weeks. I am sure once I left, he gave the rest of them a good talking to about how their job as jurors was to be tools of the state. Or he may have even dismissed them all, since I "tainted" them.

Dude basically got life (52 years for a man of 50), after the cops shot at him 46 times, hitting him 5 times and nearly killing him. The courtroom was chock full of cops.

Whether Rapp fired his weapon cannot be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, Hauser added, because the investigation did not discern whether damage to a DPS vehicle was caused by another officer. Also, no gunshot residue tests were performed on Rapp's hands or clothing.

Hauser told the jury, too, that of the three patrol cars that had dash video cameras, none managed to tape the actual shooting.

Anti Federalist
07-17-2010, 10:22 AM
He must have had some experience with nullification, since he asked directly if any of us would have a problem judging the case on the facts and come to a conclusion based on the law as written (paraphrased). I had to raise my hand, or I would have been in deep trouble later on for lying

Yes that's the trap.

But what lie would you have told?

I have come to the conclusion, that the law, as written, is unjust, and I therefore vote for acquittal.

Natalie
07-17-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't understand why everyone wants to get out of jury duty so bad. I would LOVE to be called for jury duty. It sounds so fun, imo. My little brother got called to jury duty and I was so jealous. He didn't go though. My boyfriend did not go when he got called to jury duty either. I was like "Please let me go in your place!"

South Park Fan
07-17-2010, 10:28 AM
I would just answer that question as if the Judge was talking about the Constitution, the highest written law in the land.

Lucille
07-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Yes that's the trap.

But what lie would you have told?

I have come to the conclusion, that the law, as written, is unjust, and I therefore vote for acquittal.

Well, I was under oath, and had I not answered truthfully, I could have been charged with contempt. It was hard to do, confronting the system like that. It was very intimidating.

Anti Federalist
07-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Well, I was under oath, and had I not answered truthfully, I could have been charged with contempt. It was hard to do, confronting the system like that. It was very intimidating.

I understand, and I think you did just fine, all things considered. ;)

Lucille
07-17-2010, 10:47 AM
I understand, and I think you did just fine, all things considered. ;)

I really wish I had made it through. I need to learn how to answer questions like that more artfully (http://www.juryduty.org/JuryDuty.htm)!

BoutTreeFiddy
07-17-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't understand why everyone wants to get out of jury duty so bad. I would LOVE to be called for jury duty. It sounds so fun, imo. My little brother got called to jury duty and I was so jealous. He didn't go though. My boyfriend did not go when he got called to jury duty either. I was like "Please let me go in your place!"

Do you have a job and are you committed to it? Because sitting on a jury would be a pain in the ass for me. I have projects to work on and don't really want to be bothered with jury duty. However, if your job sucks and you would love an excuse not to go to work, then jury duty might not be so bad, although I don't know anyone that would be excited to sit in court.

I've sat on a jury before for a few days, but it was when I was unemployed and had nothing better to do, really. It was pretty boring for the most part. They jam you into a little room with one bathroom and don't allow you to leave. Public buildings like courtrooms can be pretty disgusting too.

Brian4Liberty
07-17-2010, 12:39 PM

That's the correct answer.

I don't understand why everyone wants to get out of jury duty so bad. I would LOVE to be called for jury duty. It sounds so fun, imo. My little brother got called to jury duty and I was so jealous.

I'll give you my spot if I get called. It sounds boring as hell to me...

It was pretty boring for the most part. They jam you into a little room with one bathroom and don't allow you to leave. Public buildings like courtrooms can be pretty disgusting too.

There you go.

james1906
07-17-2010, 12:50 PM
He must have had some experience with nullification, since he asked directly if any of us would have a problem judging the case on the facts and come to a conclusion based on the law as written (paraphrased). I had to raise my hand, or I would have been in deep trouble later on for lying.

I did get a chance to talk about nullification though! I said something like, "I believe the jury is the last defense of the Constitution, and jurors have a right and a duty to judge both the law and the facts of the case."

This essentially happened between me and the prosecutors.

Lucille
07-17-2010, 12:59 PM
This essentially happened between me and the prosecutors.

Do tell!

james1906
07-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Do tell!

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=253358&page=2

fletcher
07-17-2010, 01:09 PM
You would be arrested for contempt of court.

A gang of criminals that think they own me once sent me a few of those letters telling me to show up somewhere, which I promptly threw in the garbage. After finally getting me in there some guy in a funny robe threatened to have me locked in a cage for literally doing nothing. How is doing nothing illegal in a so-called free country? If contempt of court, as proven by lack of action, is illegal then I am guilty.

JeNNiF00F00
07-17-2010, 01:14 PM

JeNNiF00F00
07-17-2010, 01:16 PM

Old Ducker
Nullification is the way. When it's your turn to identify yourself, tell the judge that you'll vote not guilty regardless of the facts. It worked for me, but then it was easy because it was a drug case. The judge even thanked me for being honest before dismissing me.

Lucille
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=253358&page=2

Did that happen during Voir Dire? The judge didn't say anything, only the prosecution?

I had a few people come up to me from the jury pool and ask me about nullification.

Awesome. Did you follow the trial? Just wondering if your nullification information helped.

From that same thread. Thank you, michaelwise!:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2796244&postcount=13

james1906
07-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Did that happen during Voir Dire? The judge didn't say anything, only the prosecution?

Awesome. Did you follow the trial? Just wondering if your nullification information helped.

From that same thread. Thank you, michaelwise!:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2796244&postcount=13

The judge didn't say much, it mostly the prosecutors and defense attorneys asking questions.

I didn't follow it, it was just a misdemeanor trespassing case. It wasn't worth the people's money and time to pursue.

I spoke with a few people about nullification as some people thought I was making up stuff to get out of serving. One guy said that I should have lied to get on the jury because if he were on trial, he'd want to have me on it. I stated that I wanted to educate the entire courtroom about nullification and that hopefully when people get home they google it.

osan
07-17-2010, 01:26 PM

If every American changed his name to John or Jane Doe, that would pretty well hamstring the idiot police.

osan
07-17-2010, 01:28 PM

Instead of getting the medal you'd deserve.

Figures.

Cowlesy
07-17-2010, 01:32 PM
If a freedom movement person being wrongly accused of crime was unjustly taken to court, I would hope that some of you would serve on the jury to ensure proper justice.

osan
07-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Boy did you get that one wrong. You can say what you want. There is nothing to stop you from having a change of heart along the way.

NewFederalist
07-17-2010, 01:38 PM
If you state that you are a libertarian you will probably be excused. I was being interviewed for a case where a guys girlfriend smuggled pot into the county jail for him while he was being held on an unrelated charge. When it became known that I was the county chair of the LP (at the time) I was summarily dismissed by the DEFENSE! The prosecution could not believe their good luck because they were going to boot me. The point is, nobody really understands how you will behave so they want you out.

james1906
07-17-2010, 01:40 PM
If you state that you are a libertarian you will probably be excused. I was being interviewed for a case where a guys girlfriend smuggled pot into the county jail for him while he was being held on an unrelated charge. When it became known that I was the county chair of the LP (at the time) I was summarily dismissed by the DEFENSE! The prosecution could not believe their good luck because they were going to boot me. The point is, nobody really understands how you will behave so they want you out.

I told my fellow jurors the state doesn't want libertarians on juries.

anaconda
07-17-2010, 01:43 PM

Would not doubt this. OR the defense may want you if it's an alcohol related case!:)

surf
07-17-2010, 01:44 PM
i got knocked out twice in this process, both times by the gov't prosecutor. one was a black man in drug case in which the accused was said to have sold crack - in a "school zone" (within 2 miles of a school which is just about anywhere). to my surprise i ended up getting into a conversation with the prosecutor who continued to question me about why i thought the drug war was a waste of time - and i believe they relieved everybody after our exchange. i mentioned how the drug war is worse for minorities.

the second was a guy that was tragically paralyzed at a rage against the machine concert for jumping the wall and being dropped while crowd surfing (in a Seattle owned arena). the kids family was suing the city. the prosecutor apparently thought i was going to side with the victim even though i intoned that i was a proponent of personal responsibilty. of about 60 potential jurrors i was no 47 on that list, yet the prosecution wasted a "kick him out" move on me.

my advice - don't lie, but don't elaborate if you don't mind serving.

Freedom 4 all
07-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Bonus points for getting drunk off of Sam Adams beer

fletcher
07-17-2010, 06:28 PM
How is this possible? Were the letters certified? If they weren't certified then how do they know they even reached your house? All attorneys or anyone working with law should know this as they certify every law document they send out for these reasons.

They weren't certified, so they can't prove I got them, but they don't have to prove anything to put you in jail for contempt of court. They just do it.

squarepusher
07-17-2010, 09:40 PM
i made the mistaking of making my stances known at the very beginning of a trial recently, and I was dismissed. Unfortunately, a non violent offender very likely would be sentenced to hard crime because of this.

So, next time just try to be silent under the radar, until you can land yourself on a case, then nullify if you think its correct and they won't be able to stop you then (the man).