PDA

View Full Version : Why is MSNBC Pushing For a Military Draft?

cindy25
07-16-2010, 10:06 PM
http://gheorghe47.wordpress.com/2010/07/10/why-is-msnbc-pushing-for-a-military-draft/

Last Monday for some reason I was watching MSNBC’s Morning Joe, which I never do. I was working away and not looking at the TV screen but my ears pointed up when I heard Joe Scarborough call for a military draft for the wars in the middle east. I actually wondered if I had misheard him. Then I saw that DaTechGuy, who I know watches Morning Joe, noticed the same thing and actually blogged about it. Today, NewsBusters noted that MSNBC’s Dylan Ratigan called for a military draft. What’s going on over there? I sincerely hope all the 18 to 25 year-olds who voted for Obama are paying close attention, because they are exactly who would get the call if a military draft was instated. Then again, some of America’s young “activists” seem fond of warfare. Oh, just one more thing. Do you think anyone besides me would be talking about this if FOX News was actively calling for a new military draft? ((02 JUL 2010))

http://americanglob.com/2010/07/02/why-is-msnbc-pushing-for-a-military-draft/

——————————————————————————————————————-

http://www.ehow.com/military-draft/?ref=rockstar&utm_source=partner_kf

http://hasbrouck.org/draft/

http://ucl.broward.edu/pathfinders/MilitaryDraft.htm

================================================== ===========

About this entry

You’re currently reading “Why is MSNBC Pushing For a Military Draft?,” an entry on Gheorghe47
Published: July 10, 2010 / 6:42 pm
Category: Uncategorized
Tags:

low preference guy
07-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Because they love having the state crush individual freedom?

specsaregood
07-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Because they love having the state crush individual freedom?

It is disappointing to here Scarborough call for it though. It seems he needs more Ron Paul tutoring. Unless of course he is using the argument that it would be the quickest ways to end the wars.

cindy25
07-16-2010, 10:26 PM
I think this was a trial balloon, MSNBC should be considered semi-official now (as Fox was when Bush was pres.)
and now Rangel just happens to re-introduce his draft bill. another trial balloon.

common sense they won't draft everyone up to age 42, but I can see baby steps happening soon, such as registering women, linking student loans to national service , drafting the unemployed from certain ages.

low preference guy
07-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Unless of course he is using the argument that it
would be the quickest ways to end the wars.

Still it's not justified. It's not justified to trade a few drafted lives to rise awareness that will save another lives. It's not justified to trade the life of an individual for the lives of a some number of people.

specsaregood
07-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Still it's not justified. It's not justified to trade a few drafted lives to rise awareness that will save another lives. It's not justified to trade the life of an individual for the lives of a some number of people.

I'm with you, but I do think there is some truth to the argument that public support for the wars would drop significantly and the outcry against it would blowup if there was a draft.

With that said, I think a draft is immoral as it says that the govt owns the individual. Also, one of my favorite quotes from the Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution:

"The Supreme Court's 1918 decision that federal conscription is constitutional was explicitly based on the contemporary practice in the German Empire, Austrian Empire, Russian Empire, Turkish Empire, British Empire, Japanese Empire...."Do you see a theme?
pg. 156

low preference guy
07-16-2010, 10:36 PM
I though that saying

Unless of course he is using the argument that it would be the quickest ways to end the wars.

meant that that you are not disappointed with Scarborough, so it was justified.

specsaregood
07-16-2010, 10:40 PM
I though that saying
meant that that you are not disappointed with Scarborough, so it was justified.

Well not that a draft itself is justified, just that I can see why somebody opposed to the wars might argue/push for a draft. As the likelihood of a draft might be enough to get the same effect. ie: one might argue for a draft, but at the same time be opposed to the very concept.

low preference guy
07-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Well not that a draft itself is justified, just that I can see why somebody opposed to the wars might argue/push for a draft. As the likelihood of a draft might be enough to get the same effect. ie: one might argue for a draft, but at the same time be opposed to the very concept.

I guess my simple mind just can't see how calling for a draft can ever be justified if one opposes it, since it's equivalent to playing Russian roulette with the brains of the young people on whom it'll be enforced.

In short, "argue for a draft, but at the same time be opposed to the very concept" is something that only a mind with contradicting ideas could do.

specsaregood
07-16-2010, 10:47 PM
I guess my simple mind just can't see how calling for a draft can ever be justified if one opposes it, since it's equivalent to playing Russian roulette with the brains of the young people on whom it'll be enforced.

Fair enough.

In short, "argue for a draft, but at the same time be opposed to the very concept" is something that only a mind with contradicting ideas could do.
Or, its a way of making sure that those that claim to support the war have just as much risk of losing somebody in it. Would all the talking head neocons be just as gung-ho if it was there kids being sent over there due to a draft?

low preference guy
07-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Or, its a way of making sure that those that claim to support the war have just as much risk of losing somebody in it. Would all the talking head neocons be just as gung-ho if it was there kids being sent over there due to a draft?

The problem is that while

making sure that those that claim to support the war have just as much risk of losing somebody in it

is a great idea, the cost to get that is

playing Russian roulette with the brains of the young people on whom it'll be enforced

, many of whom have none of the sins of their fathers.

aravoth
07-16-2010, 10:51 PM
http://gheorghe47.wordpress.com/2010/07/10/why-is-msnbc-pushing-for-a-military-draft/

Last Monday for some reason I was watching MSNBC’s Morning Joe, which I never do. I was working away and not looking at the TV screen but my ears pointed up when I heard Joe Scarborough call for a military draft for the wars in the middle east. I actually wondered if I had misheard him. Then I saw that DaTechGuy, who I know watches Morning Joe, noticed the same thing and actually blogged about it. Today, NewsBusters noted that MSNBC’s Dylan Ratigan called for a military draft. What’s going on over there? I sincerely hope all the 18 to 25 year-olds who voted for Obama are paying close attention, because they are exactly who would get the call if a military draft was instated. Then again, some of America’s young “activists” seem fond of warfare. Oh, just one more thing. Do you think anyone besides me would be talking about this if FOX News was actively calling for a new military draft? ((02 JUL 2010))

http://americanglob.com/2010/07/02/why-is-msnbc-pushing-for-a-military-draft/

——————————————————————————————————————-

http://www.ehow.com/military-draft/?ref=rockstar&utm_source=partner_kf

http://hasbrouck.org/draft/

http://ucl.broward.edu/pathfinders/MilitaryDraft.htm

================================================== ===========

About this entry

You’re currently reading “Why is MSNBC Pushing For a Military Draft?,” an entry on Gheorghe47
Published: July 10, 2010 / 6:42 pm
Category: Uncategorized
Tags:

Because progressives are extremely aggressive psychopaths hell bent of spreading democracy at the point of a gun, by way of involuntary servitude to the state.

Stary Hickory
07-16-2010, 10:57 PM
I read a great article how the draft died in Vietnam. And it's true, we have a mercenary force now. You have to have well paid troops to fight unpopular wars. They can run their stupid pieholes about a draft but it aint happening because people no longer believe America fights just wars.

I like to see them try and start a draft for Iraq/Afganistan. I an tell you my brothers will NOT be going. The government is not all powerful as it seems it will not challenge the people on this one it will lose and with it considerable face and clout.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 11:17 PM
I read a great article how the draft died in Vietnam. And it's true, we have a mercenary force now. You have to have well paid troops to fight unpopular wars. They can run their stupid pieholes about a draft but it aint happening because people no longer believe America fights just wars.

I like to see them try and start a draft for Iraq/Afganistan. I an tell you my brothers will NOT be going. The government is not all powerful as it seems it will not challenge the people on this one it will lose and with it considerable face and clout.

That^^^

Let them try it, and it damn well better include women as well, and watch how fast things unravel.

specsaregood
07-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Let them try it, and it damn well better include women as well and gays, and watch how fast things unravel.
^there added that.

Although LPG made some great points in this thread, I still stand by my statement that I can see why somebody opposed to the wars might argue for a draft in order to end the wars.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 11:27 PM
^there added that.

Although LPG made some great points in this thread, I still stand by my statement that I can see why somebody opposed to the wars might argue for a draft in order to end the wars.

Yeah, right, thanks for the fix.

I agree, there are valid points on both sides if you are advocating a draft as a means to end war.

It's a hell of a gamble though.

silus
07-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Funny, I had liberal talk radio on, and it was a sit-in for Randy Rhodes trying to convince Cindy Sheehan that bringing back the draft could be a good thing. Needless to say I became really really, REALLY confused.

silus
07-16-2010, 11:46 PM
You assume the draft will be applied even evenhandedly. It will not. And besides, there is no shortage of "talking heads," so whether or not they have kids in the war is completely irrelevant. It will not change the end product.

And to be completely honest, I think reinstating the draft just so more people have a direct human connection to the war is fucking stupid. Its insane. Its a "good idea" that is backed by no kind of sustainable principle whatsoever.

Pauls' Revere
07-16-2010, 11:49 PM
As much as I hate the idea I think it would draw more ire among the public to end the wars. These wars are in the hands of volunteers not the general public at large and so the responsiblity and cost is equally shared. Ugh...It's spreading the misery to end the misery.

low preference guy
07-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Its a "good idea" that is backed by no kind of sustainable principle whatsoever.

The principle behind it is that it's ok to risk the lives of a few to save or make better the lives of a greater number of people. No individualist could agree with that.

silus
07-17-2010, 12:11 AM
As much as I hate the idea I think it would draw more ire among the public to end the wars. These wars are in the hands of volunteers not the general public at large and so the responsiblity and cost is equally shared. Ugh...It's spreading the misery to end the misery.
IMO, it would just create extremist camps on both sides of the political spectrum. Anyways, there is no chance in hell a draft could work today. No chance.

The principle behind it is that it's ok to risk the lives of a few to save or make better the lives of a greater number of people. No individualist could agree with that.
What?

Bottom line is that a military draft is not part of a free society.

paulpwns
07-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Statist Rep. Rangel does this all the time.

It's a stupid solution. You don't sacrifice innocents to prove a point.

Stary Hickory
07-17-2010, 02:45 AM

Exactly, we force people to die to prove a point. Not a good idea.

cindy25
07-17-2010, 02:54 AM

Rangel does this all the time, but always at the beginning of a congress, not in the middle of a campaign , and not cheered on by semi-state media.

Fox never pushed for a Bush draft

itshappening
07-17-2010, 03:50 AM
because MSNBC is owned by GE isnt it? they're a massive military contractor and war profiteer

awake
07-17-2010, 05:22 AM
The people who come up with the idea, vote for it, then defend it will never set foot near the war zone.

ClayTrainor
07-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Because progressives are extremely aggressive psychopaths hell bent of spreading democracy at the point of a gun, by way of involuntary servitude to the state.

So true. The line between progressives and neo-cons is pretty blurry, when you think about it... They are cut from the same cloth.

cindy25
07-17-2010, 06:52 PM
could a progressive neo-con coalition push this though?

YumYum
07-17-2010, 07:03 PM
could a progressive neo-con coalition push this though?

Sure.

James Madison
07-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Because they're owned by GE.

The Patriot
07-17-2010, 10:01 PM
If citizens won't fight a war, than the nation shouldn't be committed to war. Any war people are forced to fight in isn't worth fighting for.