PDA

View Full Version : Arnold Signs Anti-Gun Law In CA

Razmear
10-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Just got this from the Brady Gun Banners:

Victory in California: Landmark Gun Law Passed!

VICTORY! Landmark Gun Legislation Signed Into Law!
Gov. Schwarzenegger Signs Innovative Bill to Reduce Gun Violence

Dear Mr. Burke,

We've had a major victory in California! Your Brady Campaign, its California Chapters, and many allies — including law enforcement — worked hard to pass the Crime Gun Identification Act of 2007. And your support helped make it happen.

This ground-breaking law will allow police to match bullet shells found at a crime scene to the handgun that fired the bullets. Law enforcement will now have new crime-solving tools to more quickly apprehend armed criminals and gang members.

* Click here to read more about this innovative microstamping legislation.
http://www.bradycampaign.org/chapters/california/

* Click here to read the New York Times editorial on the issue.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C00E6D71439F937A1575AC0A9619C8B 63

This tremendous victory in California comes on the heels of passing other life-saving legislation this year in Maine, Illinois, Virginia, and Connecticut that will prevent gun violence. Thank you for your continued support and activism to help us pass sensible gun laws.

We need your continued support to pass similar legislation in other states. Please click here to give a gift of $35 to support our efforts to pass strong state guns laws across the country.

And help us spread the word: click here to forward this email to friends, family, and colleagues.

Thank you for helping to reduce gun violence in America!
Sincerely,
Sarah's Signature [image]
Sarah Brady, Chair

libertarianguy
10-15-2007, 10:45 AM
test

ThePieSwindler
10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Besides "allowing police to match bullet shells to guns", what else does this legislation restrict? Does it restrict the sale of semiautomatic weapons, or does it just force manufacturers to add the microstamp technology? Pretend this legislation was standalone for a second - i might actually think it to be a decent idea. Yet put it in context of 1) who pushed it (the brady bunch, lol), and 2) where there are minor regulations, they wil be followed by massive ones. These sorts of bills are just the beginning of a slippery slope. If they stood alone, then fine, its not a huge loss at all for gun rights, and might even bring some criminals to justice. Unfortunately, the backers of this bill have much more in mind than just "gun safety".

pcosmar
10-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Buy a gun, replace the firing pin, hone the cylinder and face. And F'em.

pcosmar
10-15-2007, 11:11 AM
One more reason you don't want Arnold as President.

Ozwest
10-15-2007, 11:26 AM
I used to be anti-gun, and still am in many ways. Any responsible gun owner understands the dangers of weapons in un-trained hands... I own several licensed weapons and use them at the firing range and at competitions regularly. It worries me that others own weapons without proper training... It was until only recently, that I understood why populations should be armed, to protect themselves from their own government... As much as I enjoy shooting, I would give up my guns tomorrow if a laser beam would disintegrate the lot... I worry about dickheads who don't understand gun safety.

nullvalu
10-15-2007, 11:41 AM
I hate how they call this shit "life-saving legislation".. How many lives is this legislation going to save? NONE.

libertarianguy
10-15-2007, 11:42 AM
test

nullvalu
10-15-2007, 11:48 AM
oh yeah.. gotta look out for them crazed bears.. i hear retaliation for forest fires are at an all-time high

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/DES/D834~Smokey-Bear-Only-You-Posters.jpg

huchahucha
10-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Actually, this amounts to a total gun ban for California. The reason is that microstamping technology does not exist and the gun companies have already said they are not going to try and develop it, opting instead to just quit selling guns in California.

libertarianguy
10-15-2007, 12:41 PM
test

Man from La Mancha
10-15-2007, 01:36 PM
I used to be anti-gun, and still am in many ways. Any responsible gun owner understands the dangers of weapons in un-trained hands... I own several licensed weapons and use them at the firing range and at competitions regularly. It worries me that others own weapons without proper training... It was until only recently, that I understood why populations should be armed, to protect themselves from their own government... As much as I enjoy shooting, I would give up my guns tomorrow if a laser beam would disintegrate the lot... I worry about dickheads who don't understand gun safety.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=vt...Gun laws for Vermont

Please note that in Vermont anybody 16 and older can walk in to a store, buy a loaded handgun and carry it out under their jacket with out training and carry it on school grounds. Gee they have one of the least crimes and murder rate of the nation. I wounder how that can be? They don't have that mythical gun training and control Calf. has with 3 times the murder rate.

winston84
10-15-2007, 02:23 PM
I don't see a problem with the law by itself.

ThePieSwindler
10-15-2007, 03:28 PM
I don't see a problem with the law by itself.

Just like what i said, in a vacuum, this law is fine and really doesnt threaten gun rights at all. However, considering the package and the context, this can only move gun rights in california down what is already a slippery slope toward MUCH more than just "microstamping".

I do love how on the brady website where it rates the gun laws for different states, the states that recieve poor grades for "laws shielding families from gun violence" happen to all be states with low crime rates.

Razmear
10-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Bump to compare with Arnold's other bill signings of the day