PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Bans Official Alex Jones Page Over Gadsden Flag

qh4dotcom
07-16-2010, 06:12 PM
http://www.prisonplanet.com/facebook-deletes-official-alex-jones-page-over-gadsden-flag.html

Natalie
07-16-2010, 06:15 PM
I have a gadsden flag on my fb.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Why does anybody "facebook" anyway?

Failbook

Cowlesy
07-16-2010, 06:30 PM

Failbook

Some Princess with an arabian name tried to friend me today, probably a bunch of people here too.

That's all I need, some Al Qaeda name or something run by some Fed trying to friend me with some cute chick in a hijab.

Facebook sucks.

Pericles
07-16-2010, 07:21 PM

Failbook

/\ This

RileyE104
07-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Why not? It's actually not that bad when you're using it to communicate with people you know...

I'm always posting stuff about Ron Paul and other aspects of our movement on my page so I can try and inform "sheeple" who are normally just there for other reasons. It's a great opportunity to spread the word.

RideTheDirt
07-16-2010, 07:31 PM

Failbook

qft

BlackTerrel
07-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Facebook has sensationally banned the official Alex Jones Facebook page after a customer services representative admitted that all material containing images of the famous Gadsden flag was being deleted by the social networking giant.

Where's the admission by the representative. Funny that the "Gadsen flag" page is still there. At least 3 at a cursory glance.

If Facebook has embarked on a policy of banning political expression and images it deems offensive then the company should be more open about the fact. While Facebook didn’t consider it necessary to delete a fan page dedicated to the British murderer Raoul Moat, it is now purging all material related to the Tea Party movement, states’ rights and the Gadsden flag, which is a symbol of resistance against tyranny and was originally used by the United States Marine Corps.

I seriously doubt Facebook is in the business of offending large chunks of it's user base. At another cursory glance I see a Tea Party page with 351,000 fans and I doubt it's coming down anytime soon.

I could think of a number of reasons why Facebook would take down Alex Jones. If there was suspicious activity on the account or if even there was a coordinated attack and say 300 people reported his page as spam within a couple hours it would set off an automatic trigger and Facebook would shut it down and review it later - probably putting it back up.

Of course I wouldn't doubt that Jones wants to be banned. Being "censored" is part of his schtick.

ronpaulhawaii
07-16-2010, 07:41 PM
I've found FB to be very powerful for lots of reasons. Have been hearing about a new one though called feengo that supposedly will be more respectful of privacy and free speech...

BlackTerrel
07-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Facebook is not in the business of banning content unless they really feel it hurts their product. Considering the flak Facebook got for NOT banning holocaust denier groups I seriously doubt they are that worried about the Gadsden flag of all things:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/may/11/facebook-holocaust-denial

Facebook is under fire over its policies once again, after it emerged that the social network has refused to close groups that promote Holocaust denial.

Over the weekend Facebook responded to criticism from Brian Cuban, a lawyer from Dallas and the brother of internet billionaire Mark, has been running a campaign to get Facebook to remove such groups on the grounds that they promote hate speech.

Although the groups are small, they are typical of neo-Nazi messageboards: posting links to Aryan supremacy websites, adding pictures of concentration camps and featuring members who use swastikas as their logo instead of photos of themselves.

One group, which calls the Holocaust "a series of lies", has messages suggesting the German people were manipulated by Jewish interests, while elsewhere one member says that Jews are "snakes and liars". It's intentionally offensive stuff, and illegal in many European countries.

Over the weekend, Facebook responded to the criticism in a manner which has appeared to exacerbate things, rather than quieten them down.

In an email exchange with Facebook staff, Cuban was told that the groups in question didn't express the right sort of hatred:

Specifically, we are sensitive to groups that threaten violence towards people and these groups are taken down. We also remove groups that express hatred towards individuals and groups that are sponsored by recognized terrorist organizations. We do not, however, take down groups that speak out against countries, political entities, or ideas.