PDA

View Full Version : Broadcasting Without Permission

CCTelander
07-16-2010, 04:11 PM
An idea whose time has come. Long overdue actually.

Broadcasting Without Permission

Last Updated on Tuesday, 13 July 2010 17:44
Written by Marc Stevens
Tuesday, 13 July 2010 13:16

There are many ways we can destroy the false perception of legitimacy governments still enjoy, one way is by refusing to ask permission; there will be a voluntary society and we're not asking for permission to get there.

I've been talking about this on the show for a few weeks: broadcasting the show without permission. This is about setting up micro stations, lower power AM/FM transmitters to broadcast the show and doing it without license or permission.

There are already many so-called "pirate" radio stations and some have been around for years with large audiences. A good example is Radio Free Santa Cruz. Does this type of non-violent, non-cooperation come with some risk? Yes, whenever we don't bow down and lick the master's feet, there's a risk of being attacked. Politicians and bureaucrats are psychopathic control freaks and live for others to obey them. However, the risk is much lower than doing things like a daily 420 as they do in Kenne, New Hampshire, and not all of us use or advocate the use of drugs. This doesn't mean I don't support such acts of civil-disobedience, I certainly do. While I don't smoke pot, I think it's great there are upwards of 30+ people openly disregarding a bureaucrat's stupid "laws". For every person who ignores the tyrant's sacred writ, it becomes a little less sacred. Remember, it's about perception. The more people rely on their own sense of right and wrong and not the whims of psychos called politicians, the less the politicians can enforce their silly "laws".

By broadcasting the show without permission we educate people on the true nature of government and it really drives the point home we're doing it freely, we don't just talk about freedom and liberty, we're doing it. There continues to be more people at the daily 420 because as people see the cops not doing anything, the risk level goes down and more people are emboldened to join. This is part of the power of non-violent, non-cooperation; politicians can either initiate violence or ignore open acts of non-compliance; either way their perception as a legitimate "authority" is weakened. People are waking up to the true nature of government and it doesn't help tyrants when people see bureaucrats using violence against peaceful people.

Governments are nothing more than gangs of men and women providing services at the barrel of a gun: pay-or-get-shot; support is always compulsory. It's time we really start working together to put them out of business. We'll never have a free, voluntary society by waiting around and voting. Politicians don't bother asking for permission, and neither should we.

You can contact me at marcstevens@marcstevens.net This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or by calling into the radio show (402) 237-2525; you can also contact Ches Chain at Liberty 1640 for more information about broadcasting the No State Project in your area. You don't have to broadcast the show yourself, but you can help support someone who would like to.

http://marcstevens.net/

CCTelander
07-16-2010, 07:07 PM
bump

Dr.3D
07-16-2010, 07:17 PM
And how does one expect not to get caught doing this? I have equipment that allows me to find the exact direction the radio signal is coming from and it does it within a seconds time.

With two of these devices in two locations, two people can pinpoint the source of the broadcast within one second of the time it starts.

Now, if I can do such things, don't you expect the government (FCC) to have even better equipment to do the same thing?

When they catch someone doing this, they first send them a letter demanding an explanation as to how the person is going to stop doing what they are doing. After they have the returned letter, they can either take that letter as an admission of guilt or if they decide the explanation is sufficient, they may drop the case. If however they do not receive a response within ten days, they will send out officers to arrest the person and the result is usually prison time and a large fine.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-16-2010, 07:30 PM
And how does one expect not to get caught doing this? I have equipment that allows me to find the exact direction the radio signal is coming from and it does it within a seconds time.

With two of these devices in two locations, two people can pinpoint the source of the broadcast within one second of the time it starts.

Now, if I can do such things, don't you expect the government (FCC) to have even better equipment to do the same thing?

When they catch someone doing this, they first send them a letter demanding an explanation as to how the person is going to stop doing what they are doing. After they have the returned letter, they can either take that letter as an admission of guilt or if they decide the explanation is sufficient, they may drop the case. If however they do not receive a response within ten days, they will send out officers to arrest the person and the result is usually prison time and a large fine.

The FCC is a joke. We had a cab company constantly broadcasting across VHF-FM CH16 for like 4 months and it took them like 6 months to get around to doing something about it. Thats the CG getting on the FCC about the international hailing and distress frequency. Now imagine the priority for a low power VHF/HF operator? Yeah.....

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Actually, you already can micro broadcast without any license or FCC paperwork.

Very limited in range of course.

Unlicensed broadcasts on the FM broadcast band (88 to 108 MHz) are limited to a field strength of 250 µV/m at a distance of 3 meters from the antenna. This is equivalent to 0.01 microwatts.[1] Emissions must be kept within the 88.0 to 108.0 MHz band under Part 15 rules.

The FM broadcast band is limited but not restricted to 87.9 MHz (but see note below on TV) to 107.9 MHz. There are two class D FM stations on 87.9 MHz.[2] Any unlicensed 88 to 108 MHz broadcasting with a signal strength greater than 250 µV/m at a distance of 3 m from the antenna is punishable by law and confiscation of all broadcast equipment. It is impossible to get a broadcast license for very low-power broadcasting, and nearly impossible to get one for any higher wattage.

Unlicensed broadcasts on the TV broadcast bands are prohibited, except for certain medical telemetry devices and wireless microphones. 87.5 to 88.0 MHz is considered part of the VHF TV low band (channel 6 analog audio is on 87.75), though it shows up on most FM tuners. For TV, 15.241 and 15.242 deal with high VHF (channels 7 to 13), 15.242 also deals with UHF (band IV and band V).

On the standard AM broadcast band, transmission is limited to 100 milliwatts of power (with restrictions on size, height and type of antenna) or, alternatively, under 15.221, if the AM transmission originates on the campus of an educational institution, the transmission can theoretically be any power so long as it does not exceed the field strength limits stated in 15.209 at the perimeter of the campus, 24000/fkHz µV/m.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 08:05 PM
http://www.w7ce.com/VanAndAntennas_sm.jpg

Dr.3D
07-16-2010, 08:26 PM
The FCC is a joke. We had a cab company constantly broadcasting across VHF-FM CH16 for like 4 months and it took them like 6 months to get around to doing something about it. Thats the CG getting on the FCC about the international hailing and distress frequency. Now imagine the priority for a low power VHF/HF operator? Yeah.....

Tell that to these people.

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/sed/ulo.html

CCTelander
07-16-2010, 08:39 PM
I remember when CB Radio became popular in the 70s. At the time a license was required, but almost nobody paid much attention to the regulations. Eventually, due to mass disregard for the "law," the licensing requirements were dropped entirely.

Now, expand the concept beyond the narrow confines of "broadcasting" and imagine what might happen.

People need to realize how much power they actually have. The CB licensing requirements weren't the first, and won't be the last stupid "laws" that wound up being repealed due to general non-conformance.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 08:43 PM
I remember when CB Radio became popular in the 70s. At the time a license was required, but almost nobody paid much attention to the regulations. Eventually, due to mass disregard for the "law," the licensing requirements were dropped entirely.

Now, expand the concept beyond the narrow confines of "broadcasting" and imagine what might happen.

People need to realize how much power they actually have. The CB licensing requirements weren't the first, and won't be the last stupid "laws" that wound up being repealed due to general non-conformance.

Same thing happened with marine VHF radios.

CCTelander
07-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Same thing happened with marine VHF radios.

For an "intelligent" species, we humans can be pretty dense at times. We seem to have to learn the same lessons over and over again.

DON'T COMPLY and the bad laws go away. It's happened MANY times throughout history, and will likely happen many more.

Yet, here in the land of the fee and the home of the slave, people seem to have lost any backbone they may have once had. Witholding our consent remains one of the MOST POWERFUL WEAPONS in our arsenal, yet few ever screw up the courage to do so, even in small things.

Dr.3D
07-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Here is an example of one person who decided to play a little game on the Amateur Radio VHF bands.

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/files/Lapha10_06_01_5176.pdf

It didn't take long for the Amateur Radio operators in the area to report him.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Here is an example of one person who decided to play a little game on the Amateur Radio VHF bands.

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/AmateurActions/files/Lapha10_06_01_5176.pdf

It didn't take long for the Amateur Radio operators in the area to report him.

I'm guessing you're a ham, Dr.

Only another ham would get that uptight about somebody using an unauthorized call sign. ;)

Dr.3D
07-16-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm guessing you're a ham, Dr.

Only another ham would get that uptight about somebody using an unauthorized call sign. ;)

It's about being educated enough to know how to keep from being a problem to those using the frequencies. Study Ham Radio and you will learn there is more to it than just turning on a radio and talking.

We don't want what happened to CB to happen to Ham Radio.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 09:15 PM
It's about being educated enough to know how to keep from being a problem to those using the frequencies. Study Ham Radio and you will learn there is more to it than just turning on a radio and talking.

Elitist. :p

I held a novice class years ago, and currently hold a marine GRO with a GMDSS Operator/Maintainer with Radar.

I know there's more to it.

South Park Fan
07-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Couldn't the FCC just jam your broadcasts?

Dr.3D
07-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Elitist. :p

I held a novice class years ago, and currently hold a marine GRO with a GMDSS Operator/Maintainer with Radar.

I know there's more to it.

Then you should know what happens when unauthorized people use frequencies they are not supposed to be on and thus cause problems where emergency communications could fail. If someone causes interference when emergency traffic is being passed and someone dies because of it, they are liable for manslaughter charges.

I'm glad you know there is more to it.

TruckinMike
07-16-2010, 09:23 PM
And how does one expect not to get caught doing this? ...they will send out officers to arrest the person and the result is usually prison time and a large fine.

Not if you are mobile.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2103/2066954876_ad15a584af_o.jpg

TMike:D

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Then you should know what happens when unauthorized people use frequencies they are not supposed to be on and thus cause problems where emergency communications could fail. If someone causes interference when emergency traffic is being passed and someone dies because of it, they are liable for manslaughter charges.

I ran into this quite a bit with people jackassing around on VHF 16 while I was trying to confirm a marine casualty or it's location while operating a marine towing and salvage service. It was also required to determine if there was imminent threat to life and limb, in which case we would need to "launch everything" notifying CG and anybody else in the area.

But as much as pain in the ass it was at times, I was still happy to see the licensing requirements dropped for marine VHF.

I'll work with the "chaos" of freedom, and figure out how to complete the job at hand, rather than clamor for the alternative, that being more regulation, any time.

Dr.3D
07-16-2010, 09:56 PM
I ran into this quite a bit with people jackassing around on VHF 16 while I was trying to confirm a marine casualty or it's location while operating a marine towing and salvage service. It was also required to determine if there was imminent threat to life and limb, in which case we would need to "launch everything" notifying CG and anybody else in the area.

But as much as pain in the ass it was at times, I was still happy to see the licensing requirements dropped for marine VHF.

I'll work with the "chaos" of freedom, and figure out how to complete the job at hand, rather than clamor for the alternative, that being more regulation, any time.

Great, as long as you stick to your VHF frequencies, I won't be bothered by you nor should anyone who is more than 75 miles away.

BTW: What happened to your Novice class license? I can only imagine two scenarios. One, you let your license lapse, or two, you didn't want to follow the rules and had it revoked.

I had a Technician class license and then decided to go on and get my Amateur Extra. I felt I was too limited with the Technician class license.

Dr.3D
07-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Not if you are mobile.

TMike:D

Yeah, that's what the guy in the white pickup truck thought while we were following him down the expressway, writing down his license plate number. He was jamming one of our repeaters.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Great, as long as you stick to your VHF frequencies, I won't be bothered by you nor should anyone who is more than 75 miles away.

I've gotten ducting to go as far as 600-700 miles under the right conditions. Which isn't too bad for 156 MHZ.

BTW: What happened to your Novice class license? I can only imagine two scenarios. One, you let your license lapse, or two, you didn't want to follow the rules and had it revoked.

I let it lapse, back in the 80s. I should have held onto it, my understanding is that the the Novice was eliminated and "grandfathered" into the Technician class.

Not that I'd have much interest in it anymore. All my life, I've been talking on and monitoring radios, the last thing I want to do in my free time is listen to the squawk box.

Nor am I interested in taking any more FCC tests. Element 9 for the GMDSS maintainer broke my damn brain.

I had a Technician class license and then decided to go on and get my Amateur Extra. I felt I was too limited with the Technician class license.

So, you are in favor of government regulations and heavy handed enforcement when it's protecting your slice of the world, eh?

I can't get on my high horse about it, I'm the same way on some other issues.

At the same time, we, both, all of us, need to be aware how slippery that slope is.

We can't go around decrying the monstrosity of a bloated tyrannical government, and then turn a blind eye toward it when it's benefiting us somehow.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-16-2010, 11:12 PM

There are only two distress channels. 156.8mhz and 2182khz. The CG (me :p) monitors those frequencies and handles it. Not amateur radioman. For what its worth, I am 100% fine with any joe schmoe wanting to broadcast on any other frequency (and yes, that even includes CG-CG 157.15mhz, 157.05mhz, and 5696khz, etc.).

You should really get off your high horse.

Dr.3D
07-16-2010, 11:17 PM
~snip

We can't go around decrying the monstrosity of a bloated tyrannical government, and then turn a blind eye toward it when it's benefiting us somehow.

So you would love a world without rules?

Imagine everybody doing their own thing on the television broadcast spectrum. Would there be any television at all if that happened? I seriously doubt anyone would be able to turn on a television set and be able to watch anything at all if even two people decided to have their own program on the same frequency. Imagine twenty people deciding to have their own program on a single frequency. The same goes for radio. There is only just so much bandwidth out there and if everybody decided they could transmit just any place they wanted to, it would be a miracle if anybody would be able to receive anything intelligible at all.

I can understand why the VHF marine band doesn't require a license for a person to operate on it. It would be unsafe if everybody was required to have a license and thus few people had a radio they could use in the event of an emergency. It is notable though, that no one ever needs a license to operate on any frequency if there is a life or death emergency and that frequency is the only one available at the time.

Myself, I can't imagine how anyone would want to use a frequency where there are so many people trying to use it at the same time, no one would be able to listen to any of them at all. This is often the problem with CB. In that little world, there are people who have decided the best way for them to be able to be heard over the rest is to run extreme power and cover up everybody else. So then it has become a contest to see who can have the most powerful transmitter. Myself, I find it delightful to be able to talk to somebody in Australia using only 5 watts of RF power.

Dr.3D
07-16-2010, 11:21 PM
snip~

You should really get off your high horse.

And you should try sailing in deeper water. :D

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-16-2010, 11:35 PM
And you should try sailing in deeper water. :D

I don't ever plan on going to a '378, or the new '420s. I'm getting out in a year, so I can get away from these annoying radios. :p

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 11:35 PM
So you would love a world without rules?

A world with far, far less rules, yes, even if it means occasional hardship or headache for me.

BuddyRey
07-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Down with the FCC!

GreedyHenry
07-17-2010, 08:38 PM

What happened to CB that you're afraid would happen to Ham?

awake
07-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Get an ipod FM transmitter in your car and set it to the popular FM channel in your area ... Play Ron Paul speeches to every car around you. (http://www.engadget.com/2004/06/15/how-to-tuesday-make-your-own-pirate-radio-station-with-an-ipod/)

Uriel999
07-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Get an ipod FM transmitter in your car and set it to the popular FM channel in your area ... Play Ron Paul speeches to every car around you. (http://www.engadget.com/2004/06/15/how-to-tuesday-make-your-own-pirate-radio-station-with-an-ipod/)

haha! Very neat!

invisible
07-17-2010, 09:10 PM
What happened to CB that you're afraid would happen to Ham?

It got taken over by morons in the second half of the 1970's, to the point where it overwhelmed the legitimate users and rendered the service useless unless you ran a beam and a linear. Something similar happened to ham radio over the last 20 years when the fcc dropped the code requirement, 2m repeaters got taken over by morons and rendered all but useless. I won't even go on repeaters anymore, I keep my 2m rig parked on the ssb calling frequency down at the low end of the band.

Hate to admit it, especially since both of these guys are among my favorite members here and I usually agree with them both, but I'll have to take Dr.3D's side of the debate over AF's. Where's Matt Collins on this one? He's another ham here on RPF, his absence from this thread is conspicuous. My own take is that while the fcc provides needed frequency coordination for broadcasters, the requirements should be such that anyone can apply for a license and get one, provided they can meet standards for spectral purity, etc. Broadcasting licenses shouldn't only be available to huge corporations, the radio spectrum is a public resource.

Austrian Econ Disciple
07-17-2010, 09:23 PM
It got taken over by morons in the second half of the 1970's, to the point where it overwhelmed the legitimate users and rendered the service useless unless you ran a beam and a linear. Something similar happened to ham radio over the last 20 years when the fcc dropped the code requirement, 2m repeaters got taken over by morons and rendered all but useless. I won't even go on repeaters anymore, I keep my 2m rig parked on the ssb calling frequency down at the low end of the band.

Hate to admit it, especially since both of these guys are among my favorite members here and I usually agree with them both, but I'll have to take Dr.3D's side of the debate over AF's. Where's Matt Collins on this one? He's another ham here on RPF, his absence from this thread is conspicuous. My own take is that while the fcc provides needed frequency coordination for broadcasters, the requirements should be such that anyone can apply for a license and get one, provided they can meet standards for spectral purity, etc. Broadcasting licenses shouldn't only be available to huge corporations, the radio spectrum is a public resource.

What is spectral purity? 99.9% of radio operators are horrendous (and this goes for CG & military operators also!!) and have no radio etiquette anyways...doesn't mean they should have to go through a licensing process to be able to transmit. I could ask a few simple questions that are in the Radio Telephone handbook and most ham operators would fail it miserably. How many radio operators know their Q&Z sigs? Should that be in the licensing test also? I'm just going to have to disagree with you guys on this subject (And I never want to hear a radio again if I have any say :p). HF will also kill your hearing if you operate for too long. Static is not good for your hearing. VHF is fine though.

Even earlier today I had a bunch of people on CH16 running their mouths while I was running a case, and trying to get some info. I didn't SEELONCE, and I just shifted the guy to 22A and it was over in like 10 minutes. There's no real need for licensing and restrictive laws. Most boaters & other operators police the radios themselves anyways.

ghengis86
07-17-2010, 09:35 PM
We should also make it a requirement for all bloggers to get a license. It would be too chaotic if anybody could start their own blog or webpage with no one to regulate it. Peolpe wouldn't be able to decipher good sites from bad. It would be total over saturation; we only need one blog for each topic and it should be the same across the country. There's no way technology could be used to secure certain sites with a password to limit who is using the site. The disinformation could even led to casualties and lord knows I don't want to be liable for someone's demise.

Besides there are so many morons that fuck up a good website with assinine comments and inappropriate pics and vids. They should be hunted down like the animals that they are and locked in cage and forced to pay for ignoring the law

BuddyRey
07-17-2010, 10:21 PM

Very cool! :)

Anti Federalist
07-18-2010, 01:01 AM
We should also make it a requirement for all bloggers to get a license. It would be too chaotic if anybody could start their own blog or webpage with no one to regulate it. Peolpe wouldn't be able to decipher good sites from bad. It would be total over saturation; we only need one blog for each topic and it should be the same across the country. There's no way technology could be used to secure certain sites with a password to limit who is using the site. The disinformation could even led to casualties and lord knows I don't want to be liable for someone's demise.

Besides there are so many morons that fuck up a good website with assinine comments and inappropriate pics and vids. They should be hunted down like the animals that they are and locked in cage and forced to pay for ignoring the law

There it is ^^^

;)

Dr.3D
07-18-2010, 07:08 AM

There it is ^^^

;)

Not a good example at all. There is a great difference between radio communications and internet communications.

1. There isn't a shortage of space in the internet.
2. It isn't like anybody can possibly talk on top of another person on the internet.
3. The different kinds of communications used on the internet can not conflict with each other.

Let's look at just one simple example of what can happen with radio communications when someone who doesn't know what they are doing decides to transmit where he doesn't belong.

Let's look at the digital mode called Phase Shift Keying.
The one mode of PSK called PSK-31 requires only around 100Hz total bandwidth to keep separated from another PSK-31 station. That would be around 30Hz for the PSK-31 signal plus 35Hz on either side of it to keep it separated from another PSK-31 signal.

The total bandwidth of an upper side band (USB) transmission is around 3000Hz. 3000Hz USB/100Hz PSK-31 = 30 stations using PSK-31 can operate on one USB frequency.

So now we know 30 stations can be talking on one USB frequency all at the same time, and along comes some clown who decides to talk USB Phone (voice) on that same frequency. That of course uses the entire 3000hz bandwidth and would entirely cover up all of those 30 stations who were already using that same frequency.

This is only one example of why it is necessary for people to know the rules and not use phone (voice) on certain frequencies. We have what are called band plans. The plans are not made up by the FCC but instead they are agreements by those using the bands as to where they will perform certain types of transmissions. There are many such rules and those using the various frequencies know the band plan and thus keep from making a mess of it all.

Now if you can't understand this one simple example, I have either not explained it very well, or your comprehension skills are somewhat lacking. :p

Most of what is on the tests people take to become a Ham Radio operator is not dictated by the FCC, but rather by those who are already using the Ham Bands. The only part of the test that pertains to FCC rules is what the FCC requires and that constitutes about 10% of the test.

Now since the Morse Code requirements have been eliminated, it is very simple to get an Amateur Radio license. All of the questions and answers are available for people to study on line. Those who are interested in the question pools can find them here. http://www.arrl.org/question-pools

Once you are able to pass a simple 35 question examination, you can take the exam, pay your $14 for processing and become a Ham. As of this time, there are only three levels of Amateur Radio license, Technician, General and Amateur Extra. The first two require only 35 questions and the last is a 50 question examination. So, if you can pass just 75% of all 120 questions you can become an Amateur Extra all in one sitting by taking all three exams one right after another and the cost is still just $14. Most people just take one exam at a time though.

Anybody interested in taking practice exams, can take them here. http://www.qrz.com/xtest2.html

It has been found that if you can pass the first 11 or 12 of the Technician level practice exams, you are usually ready to take the actual exam.

LibForestPaul
07-18-2010, 07:56 AM
The rules and regulations would not be needed if leases and licenses went away with private property being its replacement. But then, why would the government give up its power voluntarily.

Imagine the west trying to be settled today.

Dr.3D
07-18-2010, 08:04 AM
The rules and regulations would not be needed if leases and licenses went away with private property being its replacement. But then, why would the government give up its power voluntarily.

Imagine the west trying to be settled today.

So millions of people using thousands of public frequencies would suddenly become private property. Hum..... what would those who don't own a frequency do?

ghengis86
07-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Not a good example at all. There is a great difference between radio communications and internet communications.

1. There isn't a shortage of space in the internet.
2. It isn't like anybody can possibly talk on top of another person on the internet.
3. The different kinds of communications used on the internet can not conflict with each other.

Let's look at just one simple example of what can happen with radio communications when someone who doesn't know what they are doing decides to transmit where he doesn't belong.

Let's look at the digital mode called Phase Shift Keying.
The one mode of PSK called PSK-31 requires only around 100Hz total bandwidth to keep separated from another PSK-31 station. That would be around 30Hz for the PSK-31 signal plus 35Hz on either side of it to keep it separated from another PSK-31 signal.

The total bandwidth of an upper side band (USB) transmission is around 3000Hz. 3000Hz USB/100Hz PSK-31 = 30 stations using PSK-31 can operate on one USB frequency.

So now we know 30 stations can be talking on one USB frequency all at the same time, and along comes some clown who decides to talk USB Phone (voice) on that same frequency. That of course uses the entire 3000hz bandwidth and would entirely cover up all of those 30 stations who were already using that same frequency.

This is only one example of why it is necessary for people to know the rules and not use phone (voice) on certain frequencies. We have what are called band plans. The plans are not made up by the FCC but instead they are agreements by those using the bands as to where they will perform certain types of transmissions. There are many such rules and those using the various frequencies know the band plan and thus keep from making a mess of it all.

Now if you can't understand this one simple example, I have either not explained it very well, or your comprehension skills are somewhat lacking. :p

Most of what is on the tests people take to become a Ham Radio operator is not dictated by the FCC, but rather by those who are already using the Ham Bands. The only part of the test that pertains to FCC rules is what the FCC requires and that constitutes about 10% of the test.

Now since the Morse Code requirements have been eliminated, it is very simple to get an Amateur Radio license. All of the questions and answers are available for people to study on line. Those who are interested in the question pools can find them here. http://www.arrl.org/question-pools

Once you are able to pass a simple 35 question examination, you can take the exam, pay your $14 for processing and become a Ham. As of this time, there are only three levels of Amateur Radio license, Technician, General and Amateur Extra. The first two require only 35 questions and the last is a 50 question examination. So, if you can pass just 75% of all 120 questions you can become an Amateur Extra all in one sitting by taking all three exams one right after another and the cost is still just $14. Most people just take one exam at a time though.

Anybody interested in taking practice exams, can take them here. http://www.qrz.com/xtest2.html

It has been found that if you can pass the first 11 or 12 of the Technician level practice exams, you are usually ready to take the actual exam.

I'm not saying your point is not valid; i'm saying we humans are smart enough to find ways to do this without government intervention.

According to you, we're 90% of the way there with regards to band plans and licensing test; ditch the .gov!

Form an industry association that all interested parties can join and have a say in the formation of standards, what bands can be used and by whom, enforcement (think ban hammers), etc. etc.

I suggest you take a look at Walter Block's book, The Privatization of Roads and Highways: http://mises.org/daily/3416.
Snip from the review: "Then, we assume as a given the goal of privatizing traffic arteries, and instead focus on the very complex process of getting to there from here: what are the problems of transition, how would the authorities move from a situation under their control to market determination, etc.? "

If you can wrap your head around the fact that it's possible to privatize roads and highways, the privatization of radio frequencies shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Best regards!

Nate-ForLiberty
07-18-2010, 12:57 PM
http://www.pirateradiousa.com/

documentary

specsaregood
07-18-2010, 01:05 PM
My own take is that while the fcc provides needed frequency coordination for broadcasters, the requirements should be such that anyone can apply for a license and get one, provided they can meet standards for spectral purity, etc. Broadcasting licenses shouldn't only be available to huge corporations, the radio spectrum is a public resource.

And that is the happy medium I would get behind. If there are frequencies that are being unused, anybody should be able to apply and get the right to broadcast on it. It should be easy and inexpensive. If they don't actually use it, somebody else should be able to come along and apply to take it over. I might even argue that those with existing licenses be restricted or get lower priority to those without existing licenses.

LibForestPaul
07-18-2010, 06:31 PM
So millions of people using thousands of public frequencies would suddenly become private property. Hum..... what would those who don't own a frequency do?

I do not know, what do people do who are not able to purchase land do?

Dr.3D
07-18-2010, 06:37 PM
I do not know, what do people do who are not able to purchase land do?

Don't try to tell me there is no land for sale. People will buy land if they have the money and want the land.

Sharing the frequency spectrum has worked very well for Amateur Radio. No one owns a frequency and thus those wishing to use a frequency search for a vacant one and begin transmitting.

CCTelander
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm a little disappointed that participants in this thread have chosen to focus primarily on a relatively minor aspect of this issue instead of the broader point that I posted this piece to highlight.

The witholding of consent, the refusal to comply is, and historically has been a VERY POWERFUL WEAPON against governmental tyranny. There are many, MANY examples throughout history of this being the case.

The Fugitive Slave Laws of the mid-1800s, Prohibition, and numerous other bad laws throughout US History have been dealt crippling blows due to the simple fact that large numbers of people refused to obey them.

You want REAL power? You already have it. Use it.

ghengis86
07-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Don't try to tell me there is no land for sale. People will buy land if they have the money and want the land.

Sharing the frequency spectrum has worked very well for Amateur Radio. No one owns a frequency and thus those wishing to use a frequency search for a vacant one and begin transmitting.

Yes, sharing has worked very well. But can you at least ponder the point I put forth earlier: can this sharing occur without the government's involvement? Or does there always have to be a threat of fines or prison for the world to use radio frequencies efficiently?

I would be open to viewpoints of the contrary so if I'm missing something, let me know.
regards,

ghengis86
07-19-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm a little disappointed that participants in this thread have chosen to focus primarily on a relatively minor aspect of this issue instead of the broader point that I posted this piece to highlight.

The witholding of consent, the refusal to comply is, and historically has been a VERY POWERFUL WEAPON against governmental tyranny. There are many, MANY examples throughout history of this being the case.

The Fugitive Slave Laws of the mid-1800s, Prohibition, and numerous other bad laws throughout US History have been dealt crippling blows due to the simple fact that large numbers of people refused to obey them.

Apologies.

I wholeheartedly agree

CCTelander
07-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Apologies.

I wholeheartedly agree

No problem really. The discussion was relevant to the piece I posted. I just wanted to highlight what I thought was the "big picture" rather than focusing on particular aspects.

South Park Fan
07-19-2010, 09:14 PM

I agree with civil disobedience, but couldn't the FCC just jam your frequency if they really wanted to crack down on broadcasters lacking permission?

CCTelander
07-19-2010, 10:48 PM
I agree with civil disobedience, but couldn't the FCC just jam your frequency if they really wanted to crack down on broadcasters lacking permission?

I suppose it depends upon how many people are actually broadcasting without a license.

But the real point is that refusing to comply can be employed against ANY oppressive law. And should be. Regularly.