PDA

View Full Version : Tea party activist "Dems trashing constitution...I haven't studied it though"

jmdrake
07-16-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm sure NPR locked onto one of the stupid people they found in the crowd and ignored anyone who could actually articulate a position. That said we've got to do more than just associate with these people. We need to come up with a way to educate them. I'm not saying that as a put down. A few years ago I hadn't read through the constitution myself. Like many people I had only read through the bill of rights. But the main part, the part that actually defines (and really limits) the role if the federal government is the most important.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128517427

On a sweltering night in Manassas, the Virginia Tea Party Patriots are holding a rally.

"The theme tonight is defending the Constitution — we are revisiting what were the fundamental principles that made this nation great, that makes Virginia great," an organizer tells the crowd.

The Tea Parties started as an anti-big government, anti-tax movement — T-E-A stands for "Taxed enough already?" But Tea Partiers have another pressing concern — an obsession, really — the United States Constitution.

Along with the "Don't tread on me" flags and the George Washington impersonators, the Constitution is ubiquitous at Tea Party events, whether it's reproductions of the original parchment or pocket-sized copies.

Karen Cole says she carries a copy in her purse. "The Democrats are eviscerating our Constitution," she says. Her friend Betty Anne Olsen agrees. "This current administration is trashing our Constitution; they couldn't care less about the values. They're breaking the laws."

And how does she know that?

"I do not study the Constitution, no, but I'm well aware of my history," Olsen says. "I'm well aware of how this country was founded, and I'm well aware of what has happened to it in current years."

'The Biggest Weapon That We Have'

Tea Party members are often vague about exactly how their constitutional rights are being denied. But they all believe the federal government has expanded far beyond what the Constitution intended.

Others focus on the 10th Amendment and claim that states' rights are being trampled, which leads others to call for repeal of the 17th Amendment — the one that took power away from state legislatures to choose U.S. senators. And Tea Party candidates like Nevada Republican Senate hopeful Sharron Angle pay particular attention to the Second Amendment.

"I feel that the Second Amendment is the right to keep and bear arms for our citizenry. This is not ... for someone who's in the military, this is not for law enforcement, this is for us," she told a talk radio host. "And when you read the Constitution and the Founding Fathers, they intended this to stop tyranny. This is for us when our government becomes too radical."

Even if you're not calling for armed insurrection, invoking the sacred text of the Constitution gives a political argument more authority, says Columbia University law professor Nate Persily. "When you start phrasing your objections in constitutional terms, you are lodging sort of the biggest weapon that we have in American political discourse," he says.

A Common Claim

Persily has just completed a poll of Tea Party supporters, and he says while their constitutional arguments may sound abstract, they are grounded in something visceral. "A lot of this taps into people's objections to Obama personally — you know, we've had all kinds of constitutional arguments that have been raised against Obama," he says, "whether you're pointing to the birther movement, for example, or constitutional objections to individual policies."

Not every Tea Partier is a birther, of course, but the birthers do make the ultimate constitutional argument — the false charge that Obama himself is unconstitutional because he wasn't born in the United States.

This isn't the first time the Constitution has been invoked by a social movement. Abolitionists, feminists, Dixiecrats and the civil rights movement have all appealed to the Constitution, says Akhil Amar, who teaches law and political science at Yale.

"Dr. Martin Luther King actually says, 'I'm here to redeem the Constitution, it actually does say equal, and we're not doing equal,' " Amar says. "And now we're seeing a populist movement on the right, and both of them are claiming a constitutional legacy."

Popular Influence

But these days, says Amar, the grass-roots debate over the true meaning of the Constitution is a little one-sided. "I think it's a mistake for folks on the left to concede the Constitution rather than claim it as their rightful inheritance," he says. "If one side is claiming it, and the other side is not, I think that the side that claims it has a huge advantage in the culture wars."

That's because what the public believes the Constitution means matters — and sometimes it can influence how the Constitution is interpreted by the Supreme Court, says Larry Kramer, the dean of Stanford Law School and the author of a book about popular constitutionalism.

"It would be rather peculiar to say that, in a democratic society, it's too important for ordinary people to have any say in what it means or how it applies," he says. "So you always want engaged public debate over the meaning of the Constitution in order to keep it contemporary and in line with where the country is."

Today, Kramer says, the Tea Party is giving a big grass-roots boost to the elite conservative legal movement, whose views of the Constitution are already well-represented on the Supreme Court.

"Right now, four and probably five of the justices are much more sympathetic to the Tea Party view of the Constitution than they are to the Obama administration view," he says.

With more than 20 states currently pursuing legal challenges to the new law requiring individuals to have health insurance, the Tea Party views on that issue will eventually have their day in the highest court. But until then, the Virginia Tea Party Patriots and others like them will keep pushing their case in the court of public opinion.

coastie
07-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Persily has just completed a poll of Tea Party supporters, and he says while their constitutional arguments may sound abstract, they are grounded in something visceral. "A lot of this taps into people's objections to Obama personally — you know, we've had all kinds of constitutional arguments that have been raised against Obama," he says, "whether you're pointing to the birther movement, for example, or constitutional objections to individual policies."

Here we go again.

So "constitutional objections to individual policies" means it's attacking Obama personally...where do they find these idiots???:mad:

jmdrake
07-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Here we go again.

So "constitutional objections to individual policies" means it's attacking Obama personally...where do they find these idiots???:mad:

Yeah. It's a smear job. No doubt. My concern is with people walking around with a constitution in their pocket but not taking the time to read it. Had this lady said "I'm concerned with the democrats departing from the original meaning of the interstate commerce clause and the general welfare clause to support universal healthcare" then NPR wouldn't have been able to use her as a springboard to dismiss real concerns. Of course is she had really read her constitution she would have said "And Bush eviscerated the constitution too".

osan
07-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Here we go again.

Idiots are not hard to find. It is, in fact, terribly difficult to avoid them.

Depressed Liberator
07-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Thing is, a lot of those Teaocons are like this. They're just Republicans who are mad a Democrat is in office, when they don't realize both are of the same.

jmdrake
07-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Thing is, a lot of those Teaocons are like this. They're just Republicans who are mad a Democrat is in office, when they don't realize both are of the same.

True. A friend of mine was at a tea party and was attempting to give this lady a DVD (I think it was Fall of the Republic) and she told him "I was told not to take any DVDs from anyone." :eek: By contrast we passed out Fall of the Republic and The Obama Deception at a Martin Luther King Day rally and people were taking them as fast as we could pull them out! So who's really more open minded?

osan
07-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Yeah. It's a smear job. No doubt. My concern is with people walking around with a constitution in their pocket but not taking the time to read it. Had this lady said "I'm concerned with the democrats departing from the original meaning of the interstate commerce clause and the general welfare clause to support universal healthcare" then NPR wouldn't have been able to use her as a springboard to dismiss real concerns. Of course is she had really read her constitution she would have said "And Bush eviscerated the constitution too".

Here you indirectly touch upon the very heart of one of the central problems America faces: ubiquitous blind ignorance. From what I see, most Americans are inconceivably ignorant of the various fundamental issues relating to freedom. They do, however, seem to have a strong inarticulate sense of it, which is what attracts them to movements such as Tea Party. The problem, of course, is that the inarticulate gut sense is not sufficient when arguing one's position in favor of liberty. One ought to understand why they adopt a given position, particularly when they are queried about it. Without such an understanding, they vomit forth the sorts of responses such as those captioned in the article in question. This makes it easy for dishonest "journalists" to affect their smear tactics. Scarier still is the fact that the people to whom such smears are made to appeal are equally ignorant and fall for all the fallacious elements with which such articles overflow. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that most Americans would be largely or even completely unable to identify the fallacies in this article. Worse yet, they would not even know enough to be on the lookout for such. Ignorance is a real killer of cultures and nations.

Any minimally clued-in reader of this article would immediately dismiss it as ineptly crafted at best. The writing, from the standpoint of reason, is very poorly constructed and very obviously so - yet most people will never see it. That is what is so scary about the current state of American intellect, if the term really even may be said to apply.

Another poster asked what we can do to educate people. Know your shit inside out - get straight on principles as well as techniques for getting what is in your head into the heads of others. Socratic method is one of the best ways because it leads the student to the truth under their own power. You, as teacher, simply help them along the path. Spewing theories and arguments really doesn't work that well with the uninitiated - it is more of an approach for those with at least a minimal foundational understanding and an acceptance of the basics. If you do not know about socratic method, look it up and learn how to use it. It is one of the most powerful teaching (and arguing) methods known. It is the real deal, as opposed to all this behavioral, results-based bullshit that is peddled to our children in our horrid public school system.

Finally, get out there and make contact with the world. There seem to be a LOT of people looking for something worthwhile in which to believe. Tap into that - get them on board and get them to do what you do. It can happen that way, but only if people act. Without action, there is nothing. Talking here is all fine and well, but without actual movement in the real world, it doesn't mean a thing.

One other thing - I believe that a consistent system of perspectives on freedom and what the Constitution actually is is also important. I've heard and read some seriously flawed opinions on all of this from people who clearly seem to mean well, but who so not IMO have the first clue as to what they are saying. One example might be the injection of a particular religious POV where someone believes that freedom means living by the dictates of belief system X. It is my unequivocal opinion that all discussions of liberty have got to be stripped down to bare principles and that all non-demonstrable elements stripped out. E.g., claiming that "god" gave us our freedom. It may or may not be so - the point is irrelevant. What is relevant is that we cannot demonstrate it apodictically one way or another, so leave it out of your discussions, sticking to the concrete - the demonstrable - the provable. One perspective I may offer in defense of this position is an example where two people, both Christians but of fundamentally differing sects, get into it with each positing that liberty must be based on their version of the belief system. A Catholic might assert that one must have communion and do all the sacraments and learn the catechism and have confession, etc. The other, a northern Presbyterian, may believe that all that is pagan crap the Holy See tossed in there in order to gain converts 1500 years ago and that their "purified" system is the only way to be properly free in God's eyes. In the end, they wind up at each other's throats due to irreconcilable differences in religious philosophy and the real issue at hand, liberty, falls by the wayside as the pistols come out and the shooting begins. (that's a joke)

Educational programs for liberty MUST BE "SECULAR" in order to succeed because liberty is the common element to liberty-oriented people of ALL religions. Trying to forward a Jewish agenda to an Atheist is a study in the futile. We don't have time to waste on things like this. Keep to the precise points in question and leave all the rest behind. The beauty of real freedom is that one may believe as they wish without feeling any compulsion to impose upon others. Keep it pure. Keep is simple. Get the word out.

Sorry for the diatribe.

YumYum
07-16-2010, 06:58 PM
True. A friend of mine was at a tea party and was attempting to give this lady a DVD (I think it was Fall of the Republic) and she told him "I was told not to take any DVDs from anyone." :eek: By contrast we passed out Fall of the Republic and The Obama Deception at a Martin Luther King Day rally and people were taking them as fast as we could pull them out! So who's really more open minded?

I have a much easier time with Democrats talking true freedom and liberty than with Republicans and Tea Party neocons.

The Constitution was "just a piece of paper" to these people and meant nothing when Bush/Cheney were committing criminal acts in violation of our Constitution.
Now that the Dems are in control they want to adhere to the Constitution. There are a few true Ron Paul supporters who attend these Tea Party rallies, but the majority of people there haven't a clue about anything and just want to raise Hell. They need to go to the caffeine-free Tea Party rallies.

If the neocon Republicans want to stick to the Constitution, they must remember that it says "Congress has the power to borrow money". The Constitution has its flaws.

Matt Collins
07-16-2010, 08:54 PM
"I do not study the Constitution, no, but I'm well aware of my history," Olsen says. "I'm well aware of how this country was founded, and I'm well aware of what has happened to it in current years."Except that the Constitution was pillaged a long time prior to Obama being in office. :mad:

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 09:58 PM

Now, how about that and what a surprise. :D

I find that I have the best luck with people who have no political affiliation.

Marenco
07-17-2010, 01:16 AM
Don't tread on me.... unless you're a Republican.