PDA

View Full Version : More on Justin Amash

biles1234
07-16-2010, 10:04 AM
http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2010/07/15/more-on-justin-amash/

MORE ON JUSTIN AMASH
by John Samples

I wrote yesterday about a candidate for the House of Representatives who offered an interesting and critical look at his experience as a state legislator in Michigan. This candidate, Justin Amash, both reads the bills he votes on and posts explanations for his votes on his Facebook page. Here are two of his explanations:

Justin Amash just voted no on HBs 6038 and 6226, which impose stiff penalties and prison sentences on individuals who possess or use two synthetic drugs: one that mimics the effects of ecstasy and another that mimics the effects of marijuana. I have never possessed or used illicit drugs, nor should anyone. But this legislation is more about sensationalism than actual public protection. HB 6038 passed 105-1. HB 6226 passed 104-1.

Justin Amash just voted no on HR 294, which “recognize[s] the perfect game pitched by Armando Galarraga of the Detroit Tigers on June 2, 2010, against the Cleveland Indians.” Congrats to Mr. Galarraga for his outstanding performance and achievement, but I’m not the commissioner of Major League Baseball, and this resolution is not an appropriate legislative matter. It passed 101-5.

If he keeps this up, I may stop being cynical about politics which would be a problem because I don’t know any other way to be, having living in DC for 18 years. But I’m willing to give it a try.

You can have a look at his other explanations for his votes here. (Make sure you go down to the older posts on his wall to get his explanations).

Dark Aerow
07-16-2010, 01:52 PM
I love how accessible Justin makes politics, so convenient. I now take a daily look at his facebook to see what issues are up for vote, which way he voted, why he voted that way and if I have any questions or concerns at any point I can ask him and he'll respond.

Of course I've yet to have any quesions or concerns because I've yet to see a vote he's taken that I disagree with! :D

Like the guy who wrote this blog post @ cato, I may stop being so cynical about politics...

Michigan11
07-16-2010, 04:04 PM
I love how accessible Justin makes politics, so convenient. I now take a daily look at his facebook to see what issues are up for vote, which way he voted, why he voted that way and if I have any questions or concerns at any point I can ask him and he'll respond.

Of course I've yet to have any quesions or concerns because I've yet to see a vote he's taken that I disagree with! :D

Like the guy who wrote this blog post @ cato, I may stop being so cynical about politics...

Great post. I too have been checking his site out daily, although I'm not on facebook, I see him responding back to any and all replies. This guy is awesome.

Great signature btw..... so true