PDA

View Full Version : 80 Oakland police officers laid off

tropicangela
07-16-2010, 09:01 AM
This is what a lot of people think the police are for (therapy):

"People just want to talk to someone," he said. "For the most part it's the context. It's cathartic. They want to know someone cares and when an officer shows up they feel someone cares. Maybe the most you can do for them is just take a report, but that's enough. It shows someone cares."

Also from article:

Under revised policies, officers will no longer be dispatched to the scene of most nonviolent crimes. Instead, the public will have to use the Internet to make a report online for dozens of crimes ranging from identity theft to vandalism, although the system is not yet equipped to handle them all.

People who lack access to a computer will have to find one, or go to Oakland police headquarters at 455 Seventh St. and use one of the crime report terminals in the lobby.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15516250?nclick_check=1

"Will Thousands Of Police Layoffs Unleash Chaos And Anarchy Across America?"
http://www.benzinga.com/10/07/379230/will-thousands-of-police-layoffs-unleash-chaos-and-anarchy-across-america

coastie
07-16-2010, 10:11 AM
"People just want to talk to someone," he said. "For the most part it's the context. It's cathartic. They want to know someone cares and when an officer shows up they feel someone cares. Maybe the most you can do for them is just take a report, but that's enough. It shows someone cares."

:eek: OMFG

fisharmor
07-16-2010, 10:16 AM
80 down, roughly 799,920 to go.

idirtify
07-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Also from article:

Quote:
Under revised policies, officers will no longer be dispatched to the scene of most nonviolent crimes. Instead, the public will have to use the Internet to make a report online for dozens of crimes ranging from identity theft to vandalism, although the system is not yet equipped to handle them all.

This is not what was just reported on CNN, regarding the list. It implies that they will no longer be responding to some violent crimes, but WILL still be responding to all drug crimes. Here is just what I was getting ready to post as a new thread when I saw yours:

Budget cuts forced Oakland police to lay off 80 officers, so the COP published a list of about 10 crimes that police will no longer respond to. On that list were real violent crimes like burglary and grand theft. Not on the list were drug crimes. If anything this shows the true agenda behind “law enforcement”, and it’s not to keep the peace or protect the people.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 10:25 AM
I hate to see anyone lose their job...

Normally...

Not this time...

Elwar
07-16-2010, 10:59 AM
I hope those 80 police officers start to look into other spending programs the city has going on that are more important than their jobs and let people know about them.

Fredom101
07-16-2010, 01:22 PM
This is great news.
I'm glad to hear positive stories coming out of the crap economy!

Kylie
07-16-2010, 01:24 PM
80.....that's a good start.

NewFederalist
07-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Golly, gosh, gee, does this mean Batman and Robin will have to work overtime? (They work for free don't they?)

coastie
07-16-2010, 01:31 PM
This is not what was just reported on CNN, regarding the list. It implies that they will no longer be responding to some violent crimes, but WILL still be responding to all drug crimes. Here is just what I was getting ready to post as a new thread when I saw yours:

Budget cuts forced Oakland police to lay off 80 officers, so the COP published a list of about 10 crimes that police will no longer respond to. On that list were real violent crimes like burglary and grand theft. Not on the list were drug crimes. If anything this shows the true agenda behind “law enforcement”, and it’s not to keep the peace or protect the people.

:eek:

No surprise there...an old man told me the other day pot smokers should get mandatory 5 yrs first offense, 15 yrs for second and DEATH for third.

Sucks being in the land of The Retired and Grumpy(and stupid).:mad:

CCTelander
07-16-2010, 01:37 PM

"Will Thousands Of Police Layoffs Unleash Chaos And Anarchy Across America?"
http://www.benzinga.com/10/07/379230/will-thousands-of-police-layoffs-unleash-chaos-and-anarchy-across-america

More likely crime rates will stay the same or even drop. Probably the latter considering "thousands" of actual criminals are being "laid off."

CCTelander
07-16-2010, 01:40 PM

Yet again I'll quote from one of my own previous posts:

the police have NO DUTY to protect an innocent individual's rights and property. The courts in every jurisdiction throughout the US have universally upheld this position. Here's a whole thread on the topic:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=228509

Professional police forces do NOT exist to protect the rights and property of innocent individuals. They were NEVER intended for such a purpose. They exist solely and completely for the purpose of enforcing the will of the power elites, and protecting those power elites against YOU.

In other words they are, in effect, an occupational army whose sole purpose is to oppress YOU. Period.

They violate the rights of innocent individuals every day. They routinely taze, beat and kill innocent people. They destroy their property, bust down their doors, toss their premises and all this without even an apology. They throw innocent people in cages to be abused and raped. They regularly destroy the lives of innocents. They make false charges and then lie in court. The list of police abuses and usurpations goes on, and on, and on.

Don't be fooled. "Officer Friendly" is ANYTHING BUT.