PDA

View Full Version : say "PHASE OUT" not "abolish" (re: IRS, Fed, etc)

giskard
10-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Use the words "PHASE OUT" instead of "ABOLISH".
This way people won't imagine RP will upset the system and cause chaos.

RP08
10-15-2007, 09:29 AM
I agree.

People get freaked out thinking that RP would just flip the switch on things like IRS, Fed Reserve, Social Security, Department of Ed, FEMA. They're getting this impression, and I don't really blame them.

It's important for people to understand that simply allowing parallel alternatives and give people their choice, eventually the weaker one will die off.

Ron Paul Fan
10-15-2007, 09:32 AM
I also agree. Congressman Paul has been doing this more in interviews, but I think in rallies he still uses abolish to get a rise out of the crowd. Anyway, sometimes I run into people who call him a kook for wanting to get rid of these things. Then I have to explain that these things would take time and he'd have to change the attitude about what the goal of government should be. Even then, he'd probably need Congress to approve some of these eliminations and they wouldn't be easy to convince!

Ridiculous
10-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Phase out is definitely a better choice of words.

JMann
10-15-2007, 09:35 AM

You are going to get the mindless Libertarian Party purist that enjoy having no political power complaining that he should never ever say anything that doesn't tow their party line. Of course they forget Paul isn't a LP member, and we can all be thankful for that.

sandersondavis
10-15-2007, 10:02 AM

A great and positive idea! I will use it from now on. Thank you!

ronpaulhawaii
10-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Had to get on and rate this thread a 5

SWATH
10-15-2007, 10:09 AM
To some, "phase out" sounds like politician speak for "say I'm against something but really do nothing about it". When one makes a huge claim like "abolish", then you know he means business. Then again I'm a "radical".

lisajames96
10-15-2007, 10:09 AM

I agree, using more palatable words has worked for me. But I will say, that I never took Ron Paul seriously enough to stop and listen until I saw a "DEATH TO THE IRS" sign and the paulites told me that Dr. Paul would "abolish" the IRS:eek: . That was MUSIC to my ears. So it does work on some(like me)...but to be on the safe side, i don't use the words death, kill, or abolish... :)

TruckinMike
10-15-2007, 10:11 AM
My Passion side says "abolish", but my dull game playing logically side says "Phase out".

This is a good call.

When you take your wife shooting for the first time, You don't hand her the 50 cal w/ 13000 ft.lbs of blast... You gently hand her the rimfire 22, having only 190 ft-lbs.. :D
Give her a day or two and she'll be ready for the big boy!:eek:

Truckinmike

walt
10-15-2007, 10:11 AM

I agree with this - it sounds less radical.

RonPaulLibrary
10-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I think the word UNNECESSARY could also work. Ron Paul's point is that the personal income tax would not be needed if we just reduced spending by a modest amount. This seems quite logical, once you look at the numbers.

From the current RonPaul2008.com website on this issue:

Only about 42 percent of government revenue is collected through the personal income tax. During the course of the Bush presidency, government spending has increased by about 75 percent. Cutting spending to the same level it was at seven years ago would make it possible to render the personal income tax unnecessary.

Link: http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=950

The argument to reduce spending should appeal to financial conservatives and the Republican base, and does not imply "drastic changes" to existing government. Just reduce spending to 2001 levels and you won't need a personal income tax. That is certainly not a radical idea.

So the positions become:

- The IRS would be unnecessary if we just reduced spending to 2001 levels...
- The Federal Reserve would be unnecessary if we adopted a gold standard...

It would be difficult to argue against eliminating a federal bureaucracy if it were unnecessary. To argue against these positions, you would have to debate the issues of reducing spending or adoption of a gold standard. I'll bet on Dr. Paul to win any argument on those issues.

manny
10-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Some sensible suggestions. My gut feeling is that many people find the idea of abolishing a central bank quite difficult to get their heds around - the arguments are complicated. Probably best to bring it up only after someone has already learnt about Dr Paul's integrity, voting record etc. then they might be more inclined to listen.

Also, many things which the media spin as having a "negative" slant (in both senses) need not be. For example - they say "abolishing the Dept of Education" ... another, positive way to put it is - "increase state powers for education" etc. etc. Many people have got the idea into their heads that politicans must want to "do something", and often abolishing federal departments does represent this, just needs the right presentation. Enemies will pay very careful attention to how they (wrongly)present RP's idea, the questions they don't ask, the subtle associations they draw in peoples minds. So there is nothing wrong with his supporters too being careful in choosing their language.

JMann
10-15-2007, 12:05 PM
"increase state powers for education"

Or Get the Federal government out of education and let State and Local governments take control. Saving Billions of dollars in waste that can go back to educating the children. Every dollar spent in DC is a dollar not spent on education.

Do a little Hill and Bill talk about doing it for the children, the unwashed masses eat up that talk. We are going to increase cigarette taxes for the children, a classic of epic proportions brought to you by that vile and disgusting couple from Arkansas.

giskard
10-19-2007, 10:31 PM
ttt

SouthernGuy15
10-19-2007, 11:11 PM
We need to ABOLISH the IRS!

We need to ABOLISH all unconstitutional government programs and agencies!

For example, we need to ABOLISH SOCIAL SECURITY!

What should we do about those that are depending upon it for their survival?

We need sell off excess government assets and send all of those people a nice fat check or buy them a PRIVATE annuity!

That is what Harry Brown proposed!

BLS
10-19-2007, 11:48 PM
How about 'SHITCAN'?

Why don't you guys worry about something you have some sort of control over.
The time wasted arguing something you have zero control over could be spent converting someone, handing out slim jims, etc.

I'm sorry, and I understand what you're saying....but you can't change it.

It's like saying "we shouldn't call it dying........we should call it passing on".

Whatever....it doesn't matter.

RP4ME
10-20-2007, 12:32 AM
My Passion side says "abolish", but my dull game playing logically side says "Phase out".

This is a good call.

When you take your wife shooting for the first time, You don't hand her the 50 cal w/ 13000 ft.lbs of blast... You gently hand her the rimfire 22, having only 190 ft-lbs.. :D
Give her a day or two and she'll be ready for the big boy!:eek:

Truckinmike

HAHAHAH what a gentleman!;)

RP4ME
10-20-2007, 12:32 AM
How about 'SHITCAN'?

Why don't you guys worry about something you have some sort of control over.
The time wasted arguing something you have zero control over could be spent converting someone, handing out slim jims, etc.

I'm sorry, and I understand what you're saying....but you can't change it.

It's like saying "we shouldn't call it dying........we should call it passing on".

Whatever....it doesn't matter.

Dude we change alot! And besides these threads are fun!