PDA

View Full Version : Drudge: Obesity Rating 'Required for Every American by 2014'

FrankRep
07-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Obesity Rating for Every American Must Be Included in Stimulus-Mandated Electronic Health Records, Says HHS (http://cnsnews.com/news/article/69436)

CNS News
July 15, 2010

New federal regulations issued this week stipulate that the electronic health records--that all Americans are supposed to have by 2014 under the terms of the stimulus law that President Barack Obama signed last year--must record not only the traditional measures of height and weight, but also the Body Mass Index: a measure of obesity.

The obesity-rating regulation states (http://www.hipaasurvivalguide.com/hit-subchapter-d/hit-170-302.php) that every American's electronic health record must: “Calculate body mass index. Automatically calculate and display body mass index (BMI) based on a patient’s height and weight.”

The law also requires that these electronic health records be available--with appropriate security measures--on a national exchange.

The new regulations are one of the first steps towards the government’s goal of universal adoption of electronic health records (EHRs) by 2014, as outlined in the 2009 economic stimulus law (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=43463). Specifically, the regulations issued on Tuesday by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Dr. David Blumenthal, the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology, define the "meaningful use" of electronic records. Under the stimulus law, health care providers--including doctors and hospitals--must establish "meaningful use" of EHRs by 2014 in order to qualify for federal subsidies. After that, they will be subjected to penalties in the form of diminished Medicare and Medicaid payments for not establishing "meaningful use" of EHRs.

Section 3001 (http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ005.111) of the stimulus law says: "The National Coordinator shall, in consultation with other appropriate Federal agencies (including the National Institute of Standards and Technology), update the Federal Health IT Strategic Plan (developed as of June 3, 2008) to include specific objectives, milestones, and metrics with respect to the following: (i) The electronic exchange and use of health information and the enterprise integration of such information.‘‘(ii) The utilization of an electronic health record for each person in the United States by 2014."

Under this mandate in the stimulus law, Secretary Sebelius issued a regulation--developed by Dr. Blumenthal--that requires that all EHRs keep track of a person’s Body Mass Index (BMI) score. Body Mass Index is a ratio between a person’s weight and height, and is used to determine whether or not someone is overweight or obese. It is the preferred method of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for measuring obesity.

Michelle Obama has made dealing with the problem of childhood obesity the main theme of her term as First Lady.

According to the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/index.html), “BMI provides a reliable indicator of body fatness for most people and is used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems.”

A person’s BMI score is used as a tool to screen for obesity or excessive body fat that could lead to other health problems. While it does not actually measure body fat directly, according to CDC, the BMI scores generally correlate with a person’s body fat percentage.

The new regulations also stipulate that the new electronic records be capable of sending public health data to state and federal health agencies such as HHS and CDC. The CDC, which calls American society “obesogenic” – meaning that American society itself promotes obesity – collects BMI scores from state health agencies every year to monitor obesity nationwide.

“Electronically record, retrieve, and transmit syndrome based public health surveillance information to public health agencies,” the regulations read.

With the spread of electronic health records, the CDC apparently will be able to collect such data more efficiently and with greater accuracy because the electronic record keeping systems can send the data automatically, eliminating the need for government – both state and federal – to keep, send, and process physical records.

SOURCE:
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/69436

Seraphim
07-16-2010, 07:43 AM
It's funny because BMI is NOT a good indicator of BF%. It can be, but that is a very broad generalization.

A body builder for example has a gigantic BMI. And their BF% is VERY low. lolol @ this

rp4prez
07-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Looks like I'm never going to a doctor again.

sevin
07-16-2010, 07:47 AM
It's funny because BMI is NOT a good indicator of BF%. It can be, but that is a very broad generalization.

A body builder for example has a gigantic BMI. And their BF% is VERY low. lolol @ this

That's exactly what I was thinking. A body builder would be considered very obese according to BMI. They should at least go by body fat percentage. Plus, some people just have different body types that, even when they're in great shape, are hard to fit into the "healthy" BMI weight range.

Of course, they shouldn't be doing this shit in the first place. What is the point of it, anyway?

LittleLightShining
07-16-2010, 08:03 AM
You know what? No. Ok, no. There is no reason whatsoever for there to be a database of Americans' weight. There's no lawful reason for it. You know, I want everyone to be able to afford health care but not at the point of a gun. It's expensive now because of all the red tape. Adding in more numbers to crunch is going to make it more affordable HOW, now? Nothing is free. The price for this national healthcare is more than just economic. You will lose everything down to your DNA. If that's not slavery I don't know what the hell is.:mad:

Seraphim
07-16-2010, 08:08 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking. A body builder would be considered very obese according to BMI. They should at least go by body fat percentage. Plus, some people just have different body types that, even when they're in great shape, are hard to fit into the "healthy" BMI weight range.

Of course, they shouldn't be doing this shit in the first place. What is the point of it, anyway?

The more I see these laws getting put into place the more I think there will be a serious clamp down on the American people soon. That clamp down has already begun of course, but I mean a single big clamp in a short time rather then these painfully slow incremental clamps.The USA is not heading toward fascism, it's there already. False flag or real, as these laws and frameworks get set, one big event could lead to some serious changes for a lot of people in the USA.

Seraphim
07-16-2010, 08:15 AM
You know what? No. Ok, no. There is no reason whatsoever for there to be a database of Americans' weight. There's no lawful reason for it. You know, I want everyone to be able to afford health care but not at the point of a gun. It's expensive now because of all the red tape. Adding in more numbers to crunch is going to make it more affordable HOW, now? Nothing is free. The price for this national healthcare is more than just economic. You will lose everything down to your DNA. If that's not slavery I don't know what the hell is.:mad:

In fact, they just made it lawful. Forget laws. Laws are generally stupid and serve the State almost 100% of the time. See this as a MORAL, RIGHT/WRONG issue.

Freedom turns to Despotism THROUGH LAW.

specsaregood
07-16-2010, 08:22 AM

So, I guess they just got rid of the "right to privacy"? Wasn't that the "right" that made abortion legal? Wouldn't that be valid argument against this crap?

LittleLightShining
07-16-2010, 08:24 AM
In fact, they just made it lawful. Forget laws. Laws are generally stupid and serve the State almost 100% of the time. See this as a MORAL, RIGHT/WRONG issue.

If the Constitution is the law of the land then what they did is unconstitutional and therefore unlawful. I get where you're going with it and don't disagree. I actually posted that to my fb page earlier with the article. My friends range across the political spectrum and I'm interested in if the point I made will reap a discussion or not.

MsDoodahs
07-16-2010, 08:40 AM

^^This^^

and ^^This^^

and .... since the fedgov can't keep track of who is inside the country, anyone think the fedgov can manage to keep track of the bmi for every american? lol....

Seraphim
07-16-2010, 09:14 AM
If the Constitution is the law of the land then what they did is unconstitutional and therefore unlawful. I get where you're going with it and don't disagree. I actually posted that to my fb page earlier with the article. My friends range across the political spectrum and I'm interested in if the point I made will reap a discussion or not.

I too see where you are coming from, however it has been a long time since the Constituition has been practical law in the USA. The Constitution has been delagated to "ideological belief". Now the attack has shifted from legal to ideological. More and more, Constitutional beliefs are being labelled by politicians and media as EXTREMIST. Just lovely is it not? :rolleyes:

LittleLightShining
07-16-2010, 09:27 AM
So, I guess they just got rid of the "right to privacy"? Wasn't that the "right" that made abortion legal? Wouldn't that be valid argument against this crap?EXCELLENT point. I'd like to see brighter minds thresh that out.

I too see where you are coming from, however it has been a long time since the Constituition has been practical law in the USA. The Constitution has been delagated to "ideological belief". Now the attack has shifted from legal to ideological. More and more, Constitutional beliefs are being labelled by politicians and media as EXTREMIST. Just lovely is it not? :rolleyes:
"The world is in dire need of creative extremists."-- MLK

Seraphim
07-16-2010, 09:28 AM
^^This^^

and ^^This^^

and .... since the fedgov can't keep track of who is inside the country, anyone think the fedgov can manage to keep track of the bmi for every american? lol....

Don't for a second think they cannot. They CAN track illegals and secure the borders. The difference is that THEY DO NOT WANT TO. There is a massive influx of Mexicans not becuase they are a bunch of border hoping beaners and the Govt is incompetent. They get accross because the Feds on one level or another WANT the immigration.

The North American Union is basically in practice already. The public doesn't know about it is all. The final step will be a NA currency that will take a rather large collapse of the USD, which is also underway. Central banks worldwide have started dumping their USD as thei reserves. How can the currency of a nation with a debt larger than the worlds GDP continue to function as a median of trade when central banks dump that currency?

Look at China, they are literally building infrastructure at a torrent pace despite not having anyone to live in the buildings (well they have people to live in them, ust not enough who can afford it...both on the commercial and resedential side of things). How are they paying for it? US DOLLARS. Why are they doing this? Because their US dollars won't be worth anywhere near what they are quite soon. Modern currencies are built around debt and confidence. The ultimate house of cards.

Once the USD is destroyed, in will come the North American currency TO SAVE THE DAYYYYYY WOOOOHOOOOO

:rolleyes:

fedup100
07-16-2010, 09:34 AM
You won't need to go to the doctor for this, they will be at your door with the policing tazer thugs to give you your test.

This is the precurser to a tax on obesity, then a tax on sugary foods, then a tax on sexual contact, then a tax on the size of a man's )*&%^, then a tax on organic food, then a tax on your tv, then a simple tax on breathing ( oh yeah cap and trap ),

a tax on salt use, a tax on alchohol use, a tax on bird watching, a tax on being too green (amish), a tax on using a road you paid for, a tax for shopping, a tax for watering your lawn, a tax on having a baby (if allowed at all), a tax on voting, a tax on filling your gas tank more than once a week,

a tax on bird feeders, a tax on homegrown veges and fruit, a tax on having your hair colored, a tax on shitting more than once a day, a tax on belching in public, forget farting it's a tazer event, a tax on per post per forum and only if you a government approved, a tax on any opinion that is not your government,

a tax on being anti gay, a tax on being a hater, a tax on sleeping more than 8 hours per day, a tax for being old, a tax for being young, a tax for being ugly and tax for being beautiful, a tax for not bing over weight, a tax if you have any disease cause it is your fault, a tax if you are gimp, a tax if you become senile, a tax on......................

Original_Intent
07-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Why don't they just have this lady appear on our television to lead us thru required calisthenics and she can watch you and jump on your case if you are sandbagging. Yeah...

LittleLightShining
07-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Why don't they just have this lady appear on our television to lead us thru required calisthenics and she can watch you and jump on your case if you are sandbagging. Yeah...

Like the trainers on Wii fit :D

Seraphim
07-16-2010, 10:28 AM

Lol. I'm pretty sure he was making a "1984" referrence. ;)

Original_Intent
07-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Lol. I'm pretty sure he was making a "1984" referrence. ;)

Yep, although in all honesty I was thinking that giving everyone a Wii Fit and hooking it to the internet for "monitoring" is probably more in line with how it will be implemented. So I thought it was funny that LLS thought of the Wii Fit, too.

This really pisses me off- although I am way out of shape, I am always screwed by BMI as I did a lot of weightlifting and body building when I was younger. If I got back down to a BMI of 30 I would be in outstanding condition! Now they should not even be tracking this at all, but there had better be a way to "challlenge" your BMI and have your shape determined by a more accurate body fat caliper test. If not, I might as well plan on never going to the doctor again. I am sure the government overseers will take one look at my BMI and determine that I am a walking dead man and not worthy of any government healthcare. :mad:

specsaregood
07-16-2010, 10:43 AM

Obligatory:
hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v31qxrXsxv0

edit: guess youtube is censoring embedding somewhat mature content now. :(

LittleLightShining
07-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Yep, although in all honesty I was thinking that giving everyone a Wii Fit and hooking it to the internet for "monitoring" is probably more in line with how it will be implemented. So I thought it was funny that LLS thought of the Wii Fit, too.

My kid named mine Lissa. She's pretty good, just like my torso twists :D

I don't think the govt will implement anything like this. They'll use your doctor to data mine.

Ninja Homer
07-16-2010, 02:55 PM
BMI is such a crock o shit. According to BMI, Arnold Schwarzenegger was morbidly obese when he was in Mr. Universe form.

torchbearer
07-16-2010, 03:31 PM

i agree.
i'm foreseeing a black market for doctors.