PDA

View Full Version : Impotent then, impotent now.

Anti Federalist
07-15-2010, 09:29 PM
They knew it, they knew it was all bullshit, but did nothing to stop it, for years this nonsense went on, killing by the thousands and tearing the nation apart.

And they did nothing.

Records Show Doubts on ’64 Vietnam Crisis

By ELISABETH BUMILLER
Published: July 14, 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/15/world/asia/15vietnam.html?_r=1&ref=elisabeth_bumiller

WASHINGTON — In an echo of the debates over the discredited intelligence that helped make the case for the war in Iraq, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Wednesday released more than 1,100 pages of previously classified Vietnam-era transcripts that show senators of the time sharply questioning whether they had been deceived by the White House and the Pentagon over the 1964 Gulf of Tonkin incident.

“If this country has been misled, if this committee, this Congress, has been misled by pretext into a war in which thousands of young men have died, and many more thousands have been crippled for life, and out of which their country has lost prestige, moral position in the world, the consequences are very great,” Senator Albert Gore Sr. of Tennessee, the father of the future vice president, said in March 1968 in a closed session of the Foreign Relations Committee.

The documents are Volume 20 in a regular series of releases of historical transcripts from the committee, which conducted most of its business in executive session during the 1960s, before the Senate required committee meetings to be public. The documents were edited by Donald Ritchie, the Senate historian, and cover 1968, when members of the committee were anguished over Vietnam and in a deteriorating relationship with the Johnson White House over the war.

Historians said the transcripts, which are filled with venting by the senators about the Johnson administration and frustrations over their own ineffectiveness, added little new to the historical record. Even at the time, there was widespread skepticism about the Gulf of Tonkin incident, in which the North Vietnamese were said to have attacked American destroyers on Aug. 4, 1964, two days after an earlier clash.

President Lyndon B. Johnson cited the attacks to persuade Congress to authorize broad military action in Vietnam, but historians in recent years have concluded that the Aug. 4 attack never happened.

Still, the transcripts show the outrage the senators were expressing behind closed doors. “In a democracy you cannot expect the people, whose sons are being killed and who will be killed, to exercise their judgment if the truth is concealed from them,” Senator Frank Church, Democrat of Idaho, said in an executive session in February 1968.

But the senators also worried that releasing a committee staff investigation that raised doubts about the Tonkin incident would only inflame the country more. As Senator Mike Mansfield, Democrat of Montana, put it, “You will give people who are not interested in facts a chance to exploit them and to magnify them out of all proportion.”

At another point, the committee’s chairman, Senator William Fulbright, Democrat of Arkansas, raised concerns that if the senators did not take a stand on the war, “We are just a useless appendix on the governmental structure.”

The current chairman of the committee, Senator John Kerry, Democrat of Massachusetts, said Wednesday in an interview that the transcripts were especially revealing to him. In February 1968, when some of the most intense debates of the committee were occurring, Mr. Kerry was on a ship headed for Vietnam.

The release of documents, he said, “shows these guys wrestling with the complexity of it when our generation was living it out in a very personal way.”

He continued, “You couldn’t have imagined in that room of the Capitol that policy makers were agonizing over it in that way, and having that gut kind of conversation.”

In the end, however, the senators did not further pursue their doubts. As Mr. Church said in one session that was focused on the staff report into the episode, if the committee came up with proof that an attack never occurred, “we have a case that will discredit the military in the United States, and discredit and quite possibly destroy the president.”

He added that unless the committee had the evidence to substantiate the charges, “The big forces in this country that have most of the influence and run most of the newspapers and are oriented toward the presidency will lose no opportunity to thoroughly discredit this committee.”

Robert J. Hanyok, a National Security Agency historian, said Wednesday in an interview that “there were doubts, but nobody wanted to follow up on the doubts,” perhaps because “they felt they’d gone too far down the road.”

Mr. Hanyok concluded in 2001 that N.S.A. officers had deliberately falsified intercepted communications in the incident to make it look like the attack on Aug. 4, 1964, had occurred, although he said they acted not out of political motives but to cover up earlier errors.

Many historians say that President Johnson might have found reason to escalate military action against North Vietnam even without the Tonkin Gulf crisis, and that he apparently had his own doubts. Historians note that a few days after the supposed attack he told George W. Ball, the under secretary of state, “Hell, those dumb, stupid sailors were just shooting at flying fish!”

Kludge
07-15-2010, 09:41 PM
... Thanks for posting this.

That seems like an awful place for a politician to be, but they acted like true politicians in a time of crisis.

CCTelander
07-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Almost all wars are predicated upon lies. The same story over and over and over again.

Anti Federalist
07-15-2010, 11:08 PM
Almost all wars are predicated upon lies. The same story over and over and over again.

Silence, mundane!

How dare you question our glorious leaders and what they have to do to keep us safe and protect our freedoms and keep those dominoes from falling?!

We'll have no more of this conspiracy talk.

CCTelander
07-15-2010, 11:11 PM
Silence, mundane!

How dare you question our glorious leaders and what they have to do to keep us safe and protect our freedoms and keep those dominoes from falling?!

We'll have no more of this conspiracy talk.

What WAS I thinking? Of course you're right. ;)

Anti Federalist
07-15-2010, 11:21 PM
What WAS I thinking? Of course you're right. ;)

Sad we have to laugh about it, but sometimes that's all you can do.

:D

CCTelander
07-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Sad we have to laugh about it, but sometimes that's all you can do.

:D

Keeps me from going bat shit crazy! :D

Reason
07-16-2010, 01:52 AM
NY times link wants me to log in

grrr

edit

here is a non login link

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/15/world/asia/15vietnam.html?_r=1&ref=elisabeth_bumiller

justinc.1089
07-16-2010, 02:01 AM
Thats interesting that more info about the Gulf of Tonkin is out there now. I already knew about it though. And I must say, I'm just making a mental leap in topics that everyone's already making themselves too, that the more time goes by the more I think the WTC attacks were indeed some kind of an inside job. I tend to think thats equally as likely as what we were told happened.

Cowlesy
07-16-2010, 05:45 AM
good grief..........man, none of those senators had the balls to just stand in front of a microphone and tell the truth, damned the political consequences.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 09:23 AM
NY times link wants me to log in

grrr

edit

here is a non login link

Thanks, going to use that link to update the OP.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Thats interesting that more info about the Gulf of Tonkin is out there now. I already knew about it though. And I must say, I'm just making a mental leap in topics that everyone's already making themselves too, that the more time goes by the more I think the WTC attacks were indeed some kind of an inside job. I tend to think thats equally as likely as what we were told happened.

It's tough leap to make, it was for me, but what is out there is just too damning to ignore or dismiss as "conspiracy theory".

I am convinced, beyond any shadow of doubt, that time will prove that point, long after the fact.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 09:27 AM
good grief..........man, none of those senators had the balls to just stand in front of a microphone and tell the truth, damned the political consequences.

Nope, not a one.

And how many died because of that?

God damn them all. :mad:

CCTelander
07-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Nope, not a one.

And how many died because of that?

God damn them all. :mad:

That's politics for you.

But hey, a couple million dead Vietnamese, and roughly 58,000 dead Americans were "worth it" for... uh, what was it we gained again?

Whatever, can't make an omelette...

coastie
07-16-2010, 10:06 AM
That's politics for you.

But hey, a couple million dead Vietnamese, and roughly 58,000 dead Americans were "worth it" for... uh, what was it we gained again?

We stopped the spread of communism in South East Asia, duh! Oh, wait, it never spread...:p

AuH20
07-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Nothing new here. The Lusitania incident and the Pearl Harbor invasion have questionable origins as well.

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 10:11 AM
That's politics for you.

We gained the right for Bill Clinton to negotiate a trade agreement, whereby Fruit of the Loom offshores all their manufacturing to Viet-Nam, putting thousands out of work in Louisiana and North Carolina, all in order to able buy tighty whiteys at the Wal Marx for a dollar less.

That's why I'm not a "free trader" CCT. ;)

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 01:09 PM
///

Anti Federalist
07-16-2010, 08:36 PM
///