PDA

View Full Version : 1 year moratorium on income tax -- Ron Paul's Secret Weapon?

AuH20
07-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Does anyone think he can make some hay in NH and Iowa by battering his opponents over the head with this measure?

low preference guy
07-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Yes. He once said it would be good to have 3 years, if I remember correctly. If he proposes that in a debate, he wins the election.

damiengwa
07-15-2010, 10:52 AM
yes but all we need is one year. once people see how much money they save, how much time and paper work businesses can save and how many amazing new job opportunities there are, who will want to go back to it? All we need is to give america a taste of being allowed to keep their own money, and big government will die on the vine. It will unleash a new era of anti-tax sentiment. For that reason, the powers that be in government can never let it happen. But who knows...things are a' changin'.

MRoCkEd
07-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Hell yes!

TheBlackPeterSchiff
07-15-2010, 11:00 AM
That would be like a 9 thousand dollar raise for me.

RM918
07-15-2010, 11:01 AM
I really hope he does this, mentioning his proposals instead of dealing in generalities.

K466
07-15-2010, 11:09 AM
That would be a brilliant thing to do. No one would want the income tax back afterwords.

It would also stimulate the economy and made Ron Paul's approval ratings go above Bush's record 90%.

dean.engelhardt
07-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Could be a blow to the tax industry. Got stock in H & R Block?

RM918
07-15-2010, 11:23 AM
The question is: Would Congress ever allow it?

Jordan
07-15-2010, 11:24 AM
The question is: Would Congress ever allow it?

He's got the power to pardon. Screw Congress, with the stroke of the pen he can free any Federal prisoner he so desires.

Krugerrand
07-15-2010, 11:47 AM
He's got the power to pardon. Screw Congress, with the stroke of the pen he can free any Federal prisoner he so desires.

If the IRS swat team doesn't shoot you dead first. Don't be surprised if they feel their life threatened when they bust into your house while you're sleeping to get your donation receipts.

Zippyjuan
07-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Eh- what would it matter if we added another trillion dollars plus interest to the debt at this point? If I rember Ron correctly he does say we need to get rid of the deficit before we get rid of taxes. Not quite exactly the quote I was looking for but has the point:

http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2006/tst071706.htm

Borrowing money to cut the deficit is only marginally better than raising taxes. It may delay the pain for a while, but the cost of government eventually must be paid. Federal borrowing means the cost of interest is added, shifting the burden to a different group than those who benefited and possibly even to another generation. Eventually borrowing is always paid for through taxation.

rp4prez
07-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Candidates and the MSM would just call him a crackpot and attack him with stupid things that he's said for 30 years but with a different spin now.

He should win an election that way, but there are also too many people dependent on the government that would buy the story that the government can't afford to suspend the income tax. They would more than likely go out in droves just to vote against the idea.

silus
07-15-2010, 07:39 PM
I believe Ron Paul said you can't take up any significant tax reduction without first significantly reducing the size of government and the philosophy people have on the role of government.

Fredom101
07-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Let's do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who in their right mind would be against it??

RP can get on stage and say "My opponent wants to take half your income! I want none of it!"

This should be the cornerstone of the campaign (and legalizing pot!), slam dunk!

CCTelander
07-15-2010, 07:53 PM
It'll never, ever, EVER happen. The system will collapse on its own LONG before anything like this ever becomes a reality. In fact, the "nice" folks running the system are happy, no EAGER to help it collapse it would seem.

brenden.b
07-15-2010, 07:56 PM
I believe Ron Paul said you can't take up any significant tax reduction without first significantly reducing the size of government and the philosophy people have on the role of government.

Considering that is what Reagan attempted to do, that is, he tried to "starve the beast". Of course, it doesn't work when the beast has its own printing press.

In my opinion, with Ron in control of the "magic" bill signing pen, he could sign a moratorium on the income tax and veto every spending bill that crossed his desk at the same time.

Obviously, test the idea in a control group and see what happens. If it is a hit, go for it. What do we have to lose?

silus
07-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Considering that is what Reagan attempted to do, that is, he tried to "starve the beast". Of course, it doesn't work when the beast has its own printing press.

In my opinion, with Ron in control of the "magic" bill signing pen, he could sign a moratorium on the income tax and veto every spending bill that crossed his desk at the same time.

Obviously, test the idea in a control group and see what happens. If it is a hit, go for it. What do we have to lose?
Few drug addicts can go cold turkey. Ron has often stated he has a transition plan that won't just fuck over everyone that has grown dependent on the government.

brenden.b
07-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Few drug addicts can go cold turkey. Ron has often stated he has a transition plan that won't just fuck over everyone that has grown dependent on the government.

And that is great. I have heard him state that multiple times, as there are so many people reliant on the structure that you just can't pull the rug out from under them. I think grandfathering a lot of these budget and program cuts are probably going to be the most effective means of reducing the deficit.

For example, Social Security. Start allowing young people exempt themselves from Social Security, eventually completely phasing out this program, while allowing those who have already paid into the system for a period of years to rely on it.

It's all about phasing out government programs...

Ron needs to go public with his "transition" plan.

low preference guy
07-15-2010, 08:55 PM
If I rember Ron correctly he does say we need to get rid of the deficit before we get rid of taxes.

And you don't think Ron can get rid of the deficits? If he is President, for starters, he is in charge of all the departments, and he can cease all activity and spending in them (agriculture, education, energy, etc...). Plus he runs foreign policy. He'll probably save a lot of money there too.

Fredom101
07-15-2010, 08:57 PM
It'll never, ever, EVER happen. The system will collapse on its own LONG before anything like this ever becomes a reality. In fact, the "nice" folks running the system are happy, no EAGER to help it collapse it would seem.

Of course, but this isn't the point.
RP has the chance to show how asinine the whole system is.

Run on suspending the income tax, it is THE issue.

Zippyjuan
07-15-2010, 09:07 PM
And you don't think Ron can get rid of the deficits? If he is President, for starters, he is in charge of all the departments, and he can cease all activity and spending in them (agriculture, education, energy, etc...). Plus he runs foreign policy. He'll probably save a lot of money there too.

Congress writes the spending bills. They will have to vote for getting rid of all that stuff- and Congress won't because to many voters like them. They politically can't risk getting rid of anything which might turn off even one potential voter. If Ron Paul is president, he won't have Ron Paul in congress to support his agenda. Now he could use a tool which some presidents have and that is to refuse to release funds for a program they don't like but if the next president disagrees, the program is back in.

low preference guy
07-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Congress writes the spending bills. They will have to vote for getting rid of all that stuff- and Congress won't because to many voters like them. They politically can't risk getting rid of anything which might turn off even one potential voter. If Ron Paul is president, he won't have Ron Paul in congress to support his agenda. Now he could use a tool which some presidents have and that is to refuse to release funds for a program they don't like but if the next president disagrees, the program is back in.

Even if they appropriate money, if Ron decides not to spend it, Congress cannot do anything. The executive power runs the departments. It doesn't matter what Congress says on that issue. The executive also runs foreign policy. Ron can cut back even if Congress votes for defense funding. Plus he'll veto the hell out of the spending bills.

cindy25
07-16-2010, 03:09 AM
he should include payroll taxes, including employer share.

once suspended for a couple of years the demand to extend it would be great

CUnknown
07-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Another dividend that such a plan would give -- how much more would you be encouraged to work (maybe some overtime, get a 2nd job...) if you knew there were no taxes that year? I think productivity would improve nationwide.. If you're going to take it easy, why not the next year when you get taxed again?

Jordan
07-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Another dividend that such a plan would give -- how much more would you be encouraged to work (maybe some overtime, get a 2nd job...) if you knew there were no taxes that year? I think productivity would improve nationwide.. If you're going to take it easy, why not the next year when you get taxed again?

Can you imagine how big the tea parties will be in the second year? A suspension of the income tax would work out to thousands of dollars for just about everyone. That's worth protesting.

Mahkato
07-16-2010, 08:00 AM
What about all the people who currently get big refunds in excess of their withholdings (from Earned Income Credit, etc.)? Will they still get those?