PDA

View Full Version : "Illegals list" released in Utah? interesting.

ravedown
07-15-2010, 10:29 AM
‘Illegal’ list sparks fear in community, state query

By Robert Gehrke

and Josie Pereira

The Salt Lake Tribune
July 14, 2010 11:51PM

Fear and mistrust reverberated throughout the Latino community Wednesday after an anonymous group distributed a list containing information on 1,300 people purportedly in the country illegally.

“The truth is … I am afraid [immigration agents] will come knock on my door at night,” said a man in his 40s who lives in Salt Lake City with his wife and 8-year-old son. He emigrated from Guatemala 20 years ago and is not here legally.

“I don’t feel good about this. I’m worried” all the time, said the man, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

A Salt Lake City mother of two young children, who is in the country illegally, heard about the list on Spanish-language radio but didn’t know her name was on it until she was contacted by The Salt Lake Tribune.

“It makes me mad because they take advantage of one’s innocence,” she said, speaking only upon assurance her name would not be used. “The trust has been lost.”

Both fear information they gave to the Census Bureau may have been compromised. The woman said she also signed a petition opposing an Arizona-style immigration law at a Cinco de Mayo gathering, and signed up for the Children’s Health Insurance Program. The father applied for Medicaid but was rejected.

Gov. Gary Herbert ordered an investigation Tuesday to determine whether or not the information originated from a state agency.

The anonymous list was sent to immigration officials in April. News outlets received an updated version of the list Monday, along with a letter challenging immigration and law enforcement officials to immediately deport the individuals on the list.

“Our group observes these people in our neighborhoods, driving on our streets, working in our stores, attending our schools and entering our public welfare buildings,” according to a letter accompanying the list sent to federal immigration officials. “We then spend the time and effort needed to gather information along with legal Mexican nationals who infiltrate their social networks and help us obtain the necessary information we need to add them to our list.”

Tony Yapias, an advocate with the group Proyecto Latino de Utah, said he was barraged with calls Wednesday from people fearful their names were on the list.

“Most of them are not, so they just take a big relief. ‘Thank you, God. Thank you.’ Every once in a while we get someone who is on the list,” he said. “You can feel them with tears on the other end of the line. They’re scared. They say, ‘What do I do? Where do I go? Should I move? Should I leave?’ ”

Yapias said he tries to keep people calm and urges them not to take any drastic measures.

He said there is no doubt in his mind that the information came from the state’s Department of Workforce Services.

“Every single one [on the list] I’ve talked to, they have sought services from that agency at some point,” he said. Moreover, foreign-born children in families are on the list while those born in the United States are not because they are eligible for benefits, he said.

The governor ordered the investigation, based on the possibility the volume of the information in the list indicates government data was compromised. Teams of investigators spent Wednesday combing through tens of thousands of records.

“We’ve got staff working on it full time. It’s a priority for us, and right now we’re looking predominantly at data sources in the Workforce Services area,” said Ken Petersen, deputy director of Utah’s Department of Technology Services.

The Department of Workforce Services said Wednesday it has 10 database experts working full time to determine whether or not the information came from inside its ranks. The department provides unemployment benefits, food stamps, low-income medical care and child care to Utahns.

The investigation may be complicated because the department completed a transition to a new computer system July 1, meaning most of the data on the list pre-dated the new database.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the department had not made an effort to contact anyone on the list.

“We don’t want to go off half-cocked,” said Dave Lewis, DWS spokesman. “We want to know clearly what we know.”

A 27-year-old woman who has been living illegally in Salt Lake City for six years said she and her friends are nervous about being included on the list.

“Everyone is talking about it,” she said, speaking on condition of anonymity. “Everyone is a little nervous.”

Still, she said she hasn’t changed her lifestyle and doesn’t plan to go into hiding over her identification on the list.

Maria Gomez, 44, is on the list, even though she and her 19-year-old son, Roberto, became permanent residents last month. The Fillmore mother had received Medicaid temporarily, but was later found to be ineligible.

“I feel very bad because, hey, one has done nothing to no one” to deserve such treatment, Gomez said. “Thank God, I’m not [undocumented] anymore.”

RM918
07-15-2010, 11:10 AM
I don't know why this 'Maria Gomez' gave her name to this article. She'll be tracked down immediately!

MelissaWV
07-15-2010, 11:27 AM
I don't have sympathy for those who applied for Government benefits, and are now afraid that the Government might track them down. There also appear to be folks signing petitions who aren't legal citizens; this seems a bit counterintuitive as well.

At the same time, I wonder how reliable such a list is. It's likely not very reliable at all. It wouldn't bother to keep up to speed with those who become legal residents in the meantime (like those at the end of the article), and there is a very real chance of mistaken identity taking place.

If anything, this does show the rest of us what we already knew: the Government can't keep your information confidential.

ravedown
07-15-2010, 12:01 PM
MelissaWV, i'd like to take you response seriously, but i can't get past the quote on your profile, i realize it's meant as a joke-but sheeesh....there are better ways of getting attention.

dannno
07-15-2010, 12:01 PM
MelissaWV, i'd like to take you response seriously, but i can't get past the quote on your profile, i realize it's meant as a joke-but sheeesh....there are better ways of getting attention.

It's no joke :(

MelissaWV
07-15-2010, 12:10 PM

That's not a joke. That's a quote from another forum member. The "..." spacing is there only because the actual diatribe would be too long and too offensive to keep as a signature. Until a moderator asks me to remove it, or until I change my signature on my own eventually, it stays as a reminder to me that some people are really that far from me on every level, and that rather than live and let live, their ideal world involves my incarceration and execution.