PDA

View Full Version : Scott Brown (RINO-Mass) Brown will Oppose Dems' campaign finance reform DISCLOSE bill

bobbyw24
07-14-2010, 06:05 PM
By Michael O'Brien - 07/14/10 10:10 AM ET

Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) said Wednesday that he would oppose Democrats' campaign finance reform bill.

Brown, who'd been targeted by reform groups to support the Disclose Act, a Democratic-crafted bill in response to a Supreme Court case freeing up corporate and labor spending in elections, said the bill does not do enough to ensure fair elections.

"As stated in your letter, my election to the U.S. Senate sent a message that the American people are tired of the politics-as-usual mentality, and want to restore real checks and balances in Washington," Brown wrote in response to the groups. "Unfortunately, the Disclose Act does not do enough to require transparency, accountability and fair play. Therefore, I cannot support the Disclose Act."

Democrats had hoped that Brown would provide key support to move forward with the legislation, which has been criticized by many Republicans as an infringement upon free speech. With Democrats in control of only 59 Senate seats, they need at least one Republican to reach the 60 votes necessary to overcome a filibuster and move forward with the bill.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/108685-brown-will-oppose-dems-campaign-finance-reform-bill

JamesButabi
07-14-2010, 06:23 PM
This guy is amazing. I can't believe he garnered tea party support. I still laugh at all the people who supported him from Massachusetts thinking it meant a damn.

FrankRep
07-14-2010, 06:25 PM
This guy is amazing. I can't believe he garnered tea party support. I still laugh at all the people who supported him from Massachusetts thinking it meant a damn.

Martha Coakley would have supported it.

Scott Brown is a RINO, but thankfully he beat Coakley in the Liberal state of Massachusetts.

nobody's_hero
07-14-2010, 06:42 PM
His chief campaign promise was that he wanted to be the moderator (compromiser). Obviously, he's going to vote against it, so that something less conspicuous gets a creeping foothold in the minds of voters, thereby subliminally conditioning them for a much stronger power grab later on.

Taken from page 853 of the RINO playbook.

TCE
07-14-2010, 06:46 PM
He is a RINO, not a neo-con, there is a difference. He is worse than a Neo-con, reminds me more of Lindsey Graham or Susan Collins/Olympia Snowe. Supports all of the Republicans' bad ideas and all of the bad ideas presented by the Democrats.

MozoVote
07-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Brown campaigned as an "independent" that would vote against Obamacare, so I don't think the people who funded his campaign should be too chagrined at his votes. He's basically done what he said he would.

Nobody to the right of Brown could get elected in Massachusetts anyway.

Koz
07-14-2010, 07:42 PM
He will probably wind up voting for it. Total RINO. Anyway if he doesn't the two libs from Maine will.

HOLLYWOOD
07-14-2010, 08:05 PM

Well, Independents, Constitutionalists, Libertarians, Tea Partiers, etc have been harassing him for his liberal stances/votes and announcing he was going to vote FOR the Banking & Government Empowerment Financial Bill.

Maybe people getting pissed are having some effect.

Maybe he's sweating just a bit, since he has to run for office again in a couple years and doesn't want to be labeled a phony.

bobbyw24
07-15-2010, 05:33 AM
Collins skeptical of Disclose Act
By Susan Crabtree - 07/14/10 11:33 PM ET

Sen. Susan Colllins (R-Maine), a leading proponent of greater campaign-finance restrictions in the past, is taking issue with a bill imposing transparency in political advertisements.

Collins is one of a dwindling handful of Republicans Democrats hope to win over to support the Disclose Act, legislation the Senate will likely consider this month aimed at blunting the impact of a Supreme Court ruling lifting restrictions on corporate and union spending on political advertisements.

In a statement, Collins spokesman Kevin Kelley said Collins believes the public has a right to know who is contributing to campaigns but has concerns that the bill gives an unfair political advantage to unions over corporations.

“While Senator Collins is still reviewing the DISCLOSE Act, she has expressed concern that this legislation would move away from election laws in this country that treat unions and corporations alike,” he said. “The bill appears to provide a clear and unfair advantage to unions, while either shutting other organizations out of the election process or subjecting them to onerous reporting requirements that would not apply to unions.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/108937-collins-skeptical-of-disclose-act

Slutter McGee
07-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Maybe he's sweating just a bit, since he has to run for office again in a couple years and doesn't want to be labeled a phony.

Republicans will forgive his liberal stances on social issues. I don't think he understands the mood of the country, and he certainly doesn't understand that it is all about spending.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee