PDA

View Full Version : Help me write an ad in my newspaper

ross11988
10-15-2007, 07:59 AM
OK i got the greenlight have a ad in my newspaper, it has a readership of a possible 300,000+. I would do it, but I suck at writing and ironicly Im trying finish a college essay thats due at 1pm. Heres the guidelines

Remember: Letters are limited to 300 words. Political or campaign-related letters are limited to 150 words. We reserve the right to edit all letters for clarity, space and libel.

So im guessing 150 words. Also I would ask the person put a link to my meetup, which is located in my signiture and my email included PoconoRonPaul@gmail.com.

Thanks Guys.

LibertyEagle
10-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Are you needing an Ad, or are you wanting something like a short editorial?

ross11988
10-15-2007, 08:56 AM
short editorial

kylejack
10-15-2007, 09:00 AM
So you can write 300 words about pocket lint but only 150 about politics? Something seems amiss here....

Thunderbolt
10-15-2007, 09:20 AM
bump

ross11988
10-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Heres what I got

Ron Paul a congressmen from Texas is running for president, his goals include abolishing the Federal Reserve and eliminating the Federal income tax. He is also the only president candidate calling for an immediate withdraw of all US troops from Iraq. In the 3rd quarter he has raised more money than John McCain and is closing close with Fred Thompson. Ron Paul has the largest grassroots movement then all the other candidates combined with over 50,000 supporters registered on Meetup.com, including 20 members in the Poconos. Ron Paul is also a OB/GYN that has delivered more than 4,000 babies and served an air force medic during the Vietnam War. Ron Paul is known as the champion of the constitution. He is returning to his home state of Pennsylvania on November 10th for a Veterans rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia, anyone interested should join the Monroe County Ron Paul 2008 meet up at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/ .

Thanks
Matt Ross

ross11988
10-15-2007, 09:48 AM
bump

LibertyEagle
10-15-2007, 10:29 AM
I wouldn't say the thing about the Federal Reserve. I recommend instead talking about returning soundness to our monetary system, or something like that.

Most people do not understand the whole deal about the Federal Reserve, so saying that he wants to abolish it, sounds crazy to them. It's better to talk about the purpose. Just like you're doing when you say eliminating the federal income tax, rather than eliminating the IRS.

robatsu
10-15-2007, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't say the thing about the Federal Reserve. I recommend instead talking about returning soundness to our monetary system, or something like that.

Most people do not understand the whole deal about the Federal Reserve, so saying that he wants to abolish it, sounds crazy to them. It's better to talk about the purpose. Just like you're doing when you say eliminating the federal income tax, rather than eliminating the IRS.

I agree with that. I find that leading with talk about how getting our monetary policies back on a sound footing is the best approach for converting someone. Because, no matter what one wants the government to do or not do - come home, drop bombs, give away prescriptions, or just obey the Constitution - it won't happen if the government is broke & the economy damaged.

As much as I hate to do it, I sometimes bring up the latter years of the Clinton Administration, with surpluses as far as the eye could see and a lot of wondering what was going to happen with the disappearance of long-term T-bills, and how wonderful that prospect was.

ross11988
10-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Is everything else good?

heres the updated verison

Ron Paul a congressmen from Texas is running for president, his goals include phasing out the Federal Reserve Bank and the Federal income tax. He is also the only Republican president candidate that voted against the war from the beginning and is now calling for an immediate withdraw of all US troops from Iraq. In the 3rd quarter he has raised more money than John McCain and is closing close with Fred Thompson. Ron Paul is also an OB/GYN that has delivered more than 4,000 babies and served an air force medic during the Vietnam War. Ron Paul is known as the champion of the constitution. He is returning to his home state of Pennsylvania on November 10th for a Veterans rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia, anyone interested should join the Monroe County Ron Paul 2008 meet up at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/ .

Thanks
Matt Ross

robatsu
10-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Is everything else good?

heres the updated verison

Ron Paul a congressmen from Texas is running for president, his goals include phasing out the Federal Reserve Bank and the Federal income tax. He is also the only Republican president candidate that voted against the war from the beginning and is now calling for an immediate withdraw of all US troops from Iraq. In the 3rd quarter he has raised more money than John McCain and is closing close with Fred Thompson. Ron Paul is also an OB/GYN that has delivered more than 4,000 babies and served an air force medic during the Vietnam War. Ron Paul is known as the champion of the constitution. He is returning to his home state of Pennsylvania on November 10th for a Veterans rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia, anyone interested should join the Monroe County Ron Paul 2008 meet up at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/ .

Typo: immediate withdrawal

Otherwise, great. One fine point to maybe consider

"is now calling for an immediate end to the war in Iraq" instead of the withdrawal of troops statement.

withdrawal sort of sounds like surrender to some people, and, as Ron assured us in his Arlington speech, given a declaration of any war, he'd fight it to a quick end.

kylejack
10-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Change OB/GYN to obstetrician or maybe OB/GYN doctor.

RTsquared
10-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Let me see if I can clean this up some...give me a few.

RTsquared
10-15-2007, 11:38 AM
I cleaned it up some - capitalized some words, made a few wording changes and added a couple phrases of my own. I think this sounds much better, but YMMV.

Congressman Ron Paul of Texas is running for President on the platform of phasing out the Federal Reserve Bank and the Federal income tax. He is also the only Republican Presidential candidate who voted against the un-Constitutional war in Iraq from day one, and he is now proposing an immediate withdrawal of all US troops. His message of freedom and prosperity is resonating -- in the 3rd quarter he raised more money than John McCain and almost as much as Fred Thompson. Ron Paul is also an obstetrician by trade; he has delivered more than 4,000 babies and served during the Vietnam Conflict as a medic in the Air Force. Ron Paul is known throughout Congress as the champion of the Constitution. He is returning to his native Pennsylvania on November 10th for a Veterans Rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia. Interested persons should join the Monroe County Ron Paul 2008 Meetup at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/ .

McDermit
10-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Ron Paul, a 10-term Congressmen from Texas, is running for president. His goals include phasing out the Federal income tax and returning to a sound monetary system. He is the only Republican presidential candidate who voted against an Iraq invasion and is now calling for an immediate end to the war. Ron Paul is also an obstetrician who has delivered more than 4,000 babies and served as an Air Force medic during the Vietnam War.

Ron Paul is known as the champion of the constitution. He has recieved more donations from active military members than any other candidate and has had more cash on hand than John McCain for 6 consecutive months.

Ron Paul will be returning to his home state of Pennsylvania on November 10th for a Veterans rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia. Anyone interested in supporting this great man should join the Monroe County Ron Paul 2008 meet up group at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/.

McDermit
10-15-2007, 11:45 AM
I cleaned it up some - capitalized some words, made a few wording changes and added a couple phrases of my own. I think this sounds much better, but YMMV.

Congressman Ron Paul of Texas is running for President on the platform of phasing out the Federal Reserve Bank and the Federal income tax. He is also the only Republican Presidential candidate who voted against the un-Constitutional war in Iraq from day one, and he is now proposing an immediate withdrawal of all US troops. His message of freedom and prosperity is resonating -- in the 3rd quarter he raised more money than John McCain and almost as much as Fred Thompson. Ron Paul is also an obstetrician by trade; he has delivered more than 4,000 babies and served during the Vietnam Conflict as a medic in the Air Force. Ron Paul is known throughout Congress as the champion of the Constitution. He is returning to his native Pennsylvania on November 10th for a Veterans Rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia. Interested persons should join the Monroe County Ron Paul 2008 Meetup at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/ .I like that. I'd just drop the Federal Reserve comment... perhaps replace it with a "return to sound money" or something similar. Far too many people have no clue what the Fed is/does.

RTsquared
10-15-2007, 11:52 AM
McDermit - I think I'd have to agree. I also cleaned up a couple other scratchy spots.

Congressman Ron Paul of Texas is running for President on the platform of phasing out the Federal income tax and returning America to a policy of sound money. He is the only Republican Presidential candidate who voted against the un-Constitutional war in Iraq from day one, and he is now proposing an immediate withdrawal of all US troops. His message of freedom and prosperity is resonating -- in the 3rd quarter he raised more money than John McCain and nearly as much as Fred Thompson. An obstetrician by trade, Dr. Paul has delivered more than 4,000 babies and served his country during the Vietnam Conflict as a medic in the Air Force. Ron Paul is known throughout Congress as the foremost champion of the Constitution. He is returning to his native Pennsylvania on November 10th for a Veterans Rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia. Interested persons should join the Monroe County Ron Paul 2008 Meetup at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/ .

robatsu
10-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Congressman Ron Paul of Texas is running for President on the platform of phasing out the Federal income tax and returning America to a policy of sound money. He is the only Republican Presidential candidate who voted against the un-Constitutional war in Iraq from day one, and he is now proposing an immediate withdrawal of all US troops. His message of freedom and prosperity is resonating -- in the 3rd quarter he raised more money than John McCain and nearly as much as Fred Thompson. An obstetrician by trade, Dr. Paul has delivered more than 4,000 babies and served his country during the Vietnam Conflict as a medic in the Air Force. Ron Paul is known throughout Congress as the foremost champion of the Constitution. He is returning to his native Pennsylvania on November 10th for a Veterans Rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia. Interested persons should join the Monroe County Ron Paul 2008 Meetup at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/ .

Looks perfect!

Suzu
10-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Former editor here, with a revision that required a couple dozen corrections to grammar, punctuation, spelling, syntax and wording:

Ron Paul, a congressmen from Texas, is running for president. His goals include phasing out the Federal Reserve and the Federal income tax. He is the only candidate calling for an immediate withdrawal of all US troops from Iraq. In the 3rd quarter he raised more money than John McCain.

Paul has a larger grassroots movement than all the other candidates combined with over 50,000 supporters on Meetup.com. He is also an OB/GYN who has delivered more than 4,000 babies. He served as a flight surgeon in the Vietnam War.

Ron Paul is known as the champion of the constitution. He is returning to his home state of Pennsylvania on 11/10 for a rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia. Anyone interested should join http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/ .

Matt Ross

The above letter has 125 words not including your signature.

Suzu
10-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Ron Paul, a 10-term Congressmen from Texas, is running for president. His goals include phasing out the Federal income tax and returning to a sound monetary system. He is the only Republican presidential candidate who voted against an Iraq invasion and is now calling for an immediate end to the war. Ron Paul is also an obstetrician who has delivered more than 4,000 babies and served as an Air Force medic during the Vietnam War.

Ron Paul is known as the champion of the constitution. He has recieved more donations from active military members than any other candidate and has had more cash on hand than John McCain for 6 consecutive months.

Ron Paul will be returning to his home state of Pennsylvania on November 10th for a Veterans rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia. Anyone interested in supporting this great man should join the Monroe County Ron Paul 2008 meet up group at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/.

This version has 155 words.

I could eliminate 5 words and cut it down as follows (including spelling corrections):

Ron Paul, a 10-term Congressman from Texas, is running for president. His goals include phasing out the Federal income tax and returning to a sound monetary system. He is the only Republican candidate who rejected an Iraq invasion and is calling for an immediate end to the war. He is also an obstetrician who has delivered more than 4,000 babies and was a flight surgeon during the Vietnam War.

Ron Paul is known as the champion of the constitution. He has received more donations from active military personnel than any other candidate and has had more cash on hand than John McCain for 6 consecutive months.

Ron Paul will be returning to his home state of Pennsylvania on November 10th for a Veterans rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia. Anyone interested in supporting this great man should join the Monroe County Ron Paul 2008 group at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/.

Suzu
10-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Looks perfect!

That version has 158 words.

LibertyEagle
10-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Shouldn't Constitution be capitalized? Also, President? How about an apostrophe here --> Veterans'. While I'm asking, should "Veterans" even be capitalized?

Suzu
10-15-2007, 12:40 PM
McDermit - I think I'd have to agree. I also cleaned up a couple other scratchy spots.

Cut from 158 to 150 words and divided into two paragraphs to make it more readable:

Congressman Ron Paul of Texas is running for President on the platform of phasing out the Federal income tax and returning America to a policy of sound money. He is the only Republican candidate who voted against the un-Constitutional war in Iraq from day one. He is now proposing an immediate withdrawal of all US troops. His message of freedom and prosperity is resonating -- in the 3rd quarter he raised more money than John McCain and nearly as much as Fred Thompson.

An obstetrician by trade, Dr. Paul has delivered more than 4,000 babies and served his country during the Vietnam Conflict as an Air Force medic. Paul is known throughout Congress as the foremost champion of the Constitution. He returns to his native Pennsylvania on November 10th for a Veterans Rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia. Visit the Monroe County Ron Paul 2008 Meetup at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/ for details.

LibertyEagle
10-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Uh.... I don't think you capitalize the C in unconstitutional. Nor, do you hyphenate it. When I was referring to it before, I was talking about where it was used as a noun.

RTsquared
10-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure on that, but here's my reasoning:

Any club or group can have a constitution. America's constitution is the Constitution.

By saying unconstitutional, you are saying that it violates some rule in some document. Since we are referring to the Constitution, it only makes sense that I capitalize it. That makes the choice hyphen or no, and unConstitutional just looks really bad.

Whatever floats your boat though...

McDermit
10-15-2007, 01:42 PM
I really wish we could work in something about military donations though. That was a homerun with folks at our booth in Tamaqua... Strougsburg's not so far away, and the people are pretty like minded.

robatsu
10-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Word tells me that this is 150. I tried to work in the donations angle by compressing a few things here or there:

Congressman Ron Paul of Texas is running for President on the platform of phasing out the Federal income tax and returning America to sound monetary policies. The only Republican candidate who consistently voted against the un-Constitutional war in Iraq, he now proposes an immediate withdrawal of all US troops. His message of freedom and prosperity resonates -- in the 3rd quarter he raised more money than John McCain, nearly as much as Fred Thompson and led all in donations from members of the Armed Forces.

As an obstetrician, Dr. Paul delivered more than 4,000 babies. He served his country during the Vietnam Conflict as an Air Force medic. Paul is known throughout Congress as the foremost champion of the Constitution. He returns to his native Pennsylvania on November 10th for a Veterans Rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia. Visit the Monroe County Ron Paul 2008 Meetup at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/ for details.

robatsu
10-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Slightly different version that emphasizes first place donations from DOD. Also, c in this usage of unconstitutional should be lower case & non hyphenated, imo. Looks weird to my eyes otherwise:

Congressman Ron Paul of Texas is running for President on the platform of phasing out the Federal income tax and returning America to sound monetary policies. The only Republican candidate who consistently voted against the unconstitutional war in Iraq, he now proposes an immediate withdrawal of all US troops. His message of freedom and prosperity resonates -- in the 3rd quarter he raised more money than John McCain, nearly as much as Fred Thompson and was first in donations from members of the Armed Forces.

As an obstetrician, Dr. Paul delivered more than 4,000 babies. He served his country during the Vietnam Conflict as an Air Force medic. Paul is known throughout Congress as the foremost champion of the Constitution. He returns to his native Pennsylvania on November 10th for a Veterans Rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia. Visit the Monroe County Ron Paul 2008 Meetup at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/ for details.

McDermit
10-16-2007, 02:58 AM
I really like that last one. Well done.

reaver
10-16-2007, 03:45 AM
Slightly different version that emphasizes first place donations from DOD. Also, c in this usage of unconstitutional should be lower case & non hyphenated, imo. Looks weird to my eyes otherwise:

Congressman Ron Paul of Texas is running for President on the platform of phasing out the Federal income tax and returning America to sound monetary policies. The only Republican candidate who consistently voted against the unconstitutional war in Iraq, he now proposes an immediate withdrawal of all US troops. His message of freedom and prosperity resonates -- in the 3rd quarter he raised more money than John McCain, nearly as much as Fred Thompson and was first in donations from members of the Armed Forces.

Presidential candidate Ron Paul, a 10-term Congressman from Texas, runs on a platform of being "the taxpayers best friend" with plans of phasing out the Federal income tax. He is the only Republican candidate urging for an immediate withdrawl from Iraq and our Armed Forces have heard and embraced Ron Pauls message by donating more money to him than they have any other Republican candidate.

He served his country during the Vietnam Conflict as an Air Force medic and as an obstetrician Dr. Paul has delivered more than 4,000 babies. On November 10th he returns to his native Pennsylvania for a Veterans Rally at Independence Mall in Philadelphia. Visit the Monroe County Ron Paul 2008 Meetup at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/887/ for details; For more information on Ron Paul call 1800ron2008 or visit www.ronpaul2008.com.

Please edit my grammar, punctuation, etc.

LibertyEagle
10-16-2007, 03:58 AM
in the 3rd quarter he raised more money than John McCain, nearly as much as Fred Thompson and was first in donations from members of the Armed Forces.

Nearly as much as Fred Thompson? Fred earned over 8 million dollars as compared to our 5.

reaver
10-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Bump.

kylejack
10-16-2007, 09:00 AM

Did not raise more money than John McCain, nor "nearly as much" as Fred.

robatsu
10-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Ok, how about "on a par with John McCain and Fred Thompson, and..."

Me, if the factor of difference is less than 2, you're in the same league?

kylejack
10-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Ok, how about "on a par with John McCain and Fred Thompson, and..."

Me, if the factor of difference is less than 2, you're in the same league?

How about "nearly as much as John McCain".

ross11988
10-16-2007, 09:07 AM
omg close the thread lol I already sent the article

kylejack
10-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Heh.

robatsu
10-16-2007, 09:10 AM
omg close the thread lol I already sent the article

Which version did you ultimately send?

ross11988
10-16-2007, 09:26 AM
McDermits with other peoples revisions

kylejack
10-16-2007, 09:28 AM
in the 3rd quarter he raised more money than John McCain

:rolleyes:

ross11988
10-16-2007, 09:31 AM
:rolleyes:

it's fine. when they call later ill have them change that