PDA

View Full Version : Americans killed in Afghanistan today

Reason
07-14-2010, 02:51 PM
I will bump this thread every day.

http://www.icasualties.org/OEF/Fatalities.aspx

Bruno
07-14-2010, 02:52 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/07/13/afghan-soldier-attacks-british-troops-rocket-propelled-grenade-killing/

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AP) — Eight American troops died in attacks in southern Afghanistan, including a car bombing and gunfight outside a police compound in Kandahar, officials said Wednesday as the Taliban push back against a coalition effort to secure the volatile region.

A suicide attacker slammed a car bomb into the gate of the headquarters of the elite Afghan National Civil Order Police late Tuesday in Kandahar, a NATO statement said. Minutes later, insurgents opened fire with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades.

Three U.S. troops, an Afghan policeman and five civilians died in the attack, but NATO said the insurgents failed to enter the compound.

The special police unit, known as ANCOP, had only recently been dispatched to Kandahar to set up checkpoints along with international forces to try to secure the south's largest city, the spiritual birthplace of the Taliban.

The dead civilians included three Afghan translators and two security guards, Kandahar provincial police chief Sardar Mohammad Zazai said.

Taliban spokesman Qari Yousef Ahmadi telephoned reporters Wednesday to claim responsibility for the attack. The insurgents, which are prone to exaggerate death tolls inflicted on Afghan and international security forces, claimed 13 international troops and eight Afghan security forces died in the raid.

NATO and Afghan troops are fanning out elsewhere in Kandahar province to pressure insurgents in rural areas. The strategy is to improve security with more and better-trained police and troops so that capable governance can take root and development projects can move forward and win the loyalty of ordinary Afghans.

The Taliban have responded by ratcheting suicide attacks and bombings, making last month the deadliest of the nearly 9-year-old war for international forces.

On Wednesday, four more American troops were killed by a roadside bomb in the south, while one more U.S. service member died the same day of wounds from a gunbattle.

So far in July, 45 international troops have died in Afghanistan, 33 of them Americans.

In other attacks around the country, nine Afghan civilians died in the south when their vehicle hit a roadside bomb in the volatile district of Marjah in Helmand province, the Ministry of Interior said. Another homemade bomb killed two security guards traveling on a road in eastern Paktika province.

Two suspected Taliban also died in Helmand's Lashkar Gar district when the roadside bomb they were trying to plant exploded prematurely, the ministry said.

Homemade explosives planted in roads and pathways are a leading killer of international forces and also kill hundreds of civilians each year.

heavenlyboy34
07-14-2010, 02:53 PM
:(

Bruno
07-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Where is the outrage from the Democrats? Oh, yeah. This is "the real war on terror" Forgot.

Todd
07-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Pretty sickening isn't it.

If casualties are ramping up, then it makes you wonder just how many little pockets have been ignored in that country and how little strategy has been going on in 9 years. It's time to come home. Apparently no one knows what they are doing.

phill4paul
07-14-2010, 02:58 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/07/13/afghan-soldier-attacks-british-troops-rocket-propelled-grenade-killing/

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AP) — Eight American troops died in attacks in southern Afghanistan, including a car bombing and gunfight outside a police compound in Kandahar, officials said Wednesday as the Taliban push back against a coalition effort to secure the volatile region.

A suicide attacker slammed a car bomb into the gate of the headquarters of the elite Afghan National Civil Order Police late Tuesday in Kandahar, a NATO statement said. Minutes later, insurgents opened fire with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades.

Three U.S. troops, an Afghan policeman and five civilians died in the attack, but NATO said the insurgents failed to enter the compound.

The special police unit, known as ANCOP, had only recently been dispatched to Kandahar to set up checkpoints along with international forces to try to secure the south's largest city, the spiritual birthplace of the Taliban.

The dead civilians included three Afghan translators and two security guards, Kandahar provincial police chief Sardar Mohammad Zazai said.

Taliban spokesman Qari Yousef Ahmadi telephoned reporters Wednesday to claim responsibility for the attack. The insurgents, which are prone to exaggerate death tolls inflicted on Afghan and international security forces, claimed 13 international troops and eight Afghan security forces died in the raid.

NATO and Afghan troops are fanning out elsewhere in Kandahar province to pressure insurgents in rural areas. The strategy is to improve security with more and better-trained police and troops so that capable governance can take root and development projects can move forward and win the loyalty of ordinary Afghans.

The Taliban have responded by ratcheting suicide attacks and bombings, making last month the deadliest of the nearly 9-year-old war for international forces.

On Wednesday, four more American troops were killed by a roadside bomb in the south, while one more U.S. service member died the same day of wounds from a gunbattle.

So far in July, 45 international troops have died in Afghanistan, 33 of them Americans.

In other attacks around the country, nine Afghan civilians died in the south when their vehicle hit a roadside bomb in the volatile district of Marjah in Helmand province, the Ministry of Interior said. Another homemade bomb killed two security guards traveling on a road in eastern Paktika province.

Two suspected Taliban also died in Helmand's Lashkar Gar district when the roadside bomb they were trying to plant exploded prematurely, the ministry said.

Homemade explosives planted in roads and pathways are a leading killer of international forces and also kill hundreds of civilians each year.

AARGHHHH!:mad: End this bullshit! Why the fuck do idiots allow a country without a single (viable) peace party. Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!:mad::mad::mad: ARGHHH!

erowe1
07-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Where is the outrage from the Democrats? Oh, yeah. This is "the real war on terror" Forgot.

Yeah, I don't expect Ted Koppel to read these names on Nightline.

someperson
07-14-2010, 03:30 PM
:(

michaelwise
07-14-2010, 03:33 PM
How many dead American soldiers do we need before we get the message?

LibertyWorker
07-14-2010, 04:19 PM
How many dead American soldiers do we need before we get the message?

No amount of death and destruction in a far off land most Americans can't find on a map will end this war.

Only when the war is brought home to the streets of America will people start to wake up and oppose what were doing over there.

heavenlyboy34
07-14-2010, 04:22 PM
AARGHHHH!:mad: End this bullshit! Why the fuck do idiots allow a country without a single (viable) peace party. Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!:mad::mad::mad: ARGHHH!

This is how the Statists do things. I'm glad you're mad, as it's totally outrageous. I hope you will channel your rage productively. :cool::)

coastie
07-14-2010, 04:24 PM
+1776

"But they're fighting for your freedoms":mad:

The mental hoops people force themselves through with this statement gets me all spun up.:mad::confused::mad::(

QueenB4Liberty
07-14-2010, 05:23 PM
No amount of death and destruction in a far off land most Americans can't find on a map will end this war.

Only when the war is brought home to the streets of America will people start to wake up and oppose what were doing over there.

Pretty much. :(

constituent
07-14-2010, 05:40 PM
The mental hoops people force themselves through with this statement

Naaah, they just don't give it any thought at all.

Reason
07-15-2010, 09:48 AM
//

BlackTerrel
07-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Sad... thank you for posting.

Pericles
07-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Naaah, they just don't give it any thought at all.

And won't until they have friends and / or relatives there.

One of the effects of having a standing army, and not having to call forth militia units is the ability for the executive to conduct wars without having to justify it to a widespread electorate who could be impacted by such activity.

phill4paul
07-15-2010, 03:04 PM
This is how the Statists do things. I'm glad you're mad, as it's totally outrageous. I hope you will channel your rage productively. :cool::)

I do what I can HB.;) I'm just at the point of physically throttling the majority of people out there that don't "get it" and have no compunction to "get it."
So I had to let the steam out of the kettle on this thread.:D

Reason
07-16-2010, 01:22 PM

Reason
07-17-2010, 08:55 AM
3 more American's lives ended yesterday in this "war"

Liberty Star
07-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Although all NATO not American but Brits and other allies are also losing troops lives:

Roadside bombs kill 5 NATO troops in Afghanistan

Two members of the multinational force also died in a single explosion Friday in the south. NATO said one of the troops killed was American, and the U.K. defense ministry said the other was a British marine.

Britain also said Saturday that one of its airmen died in a traffic accident Friday.

Last month was the deadliest of the nearly 9-year-old war for international troops, with 103 killed. So far in July, 54 international troops have died, 39 of them American.

phill4paul
07-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Perhaps these totals need to be added in. No one considers those that take their own life, thousands of miles from the conflict, do to what they have seen or done, but they are a war casualty non the less.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100716/us_yblog_upshot/record-number-of-u-s-soldiers-commited-suicide-last-month

Thirty-two soldiers took their own lives last month, the most Army suicides in a single month since the Vietnam era. Eleven of the soldiers were not on active duty. Of the 21 who were, seven were serving in Iraq or Afghanistan, the Department of Defense said.

heavenlyboy34
07-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Perhaps these totals need to be added in. No one considers those that take their own life, thousands of miles from the conflict, do to what they have seen or done, but they are a war casualty non the less.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100716/us_yblog_upshot/record-number-of-u-s-soldiers-commited-suicide-last-month

This makes me sad. :( US Out of the Mideast now! :mad:

coastie
07-17-2010, 04:36 PM

Sickening.:(

james1906
07-17-2010, 05:00 PM
This makes me want to take out the credit card and go to the mall.

Meatwasp
07-17-2010, 05:02 PM
This 4th of july non of us celebrated it. Why????There is nothing independ about it anymore.
I can't blame you wanting to throttle idiots who think we should be there.

Reason
07-18-2010, 09:18 PM

Reason
07-19-2010, 11:21 AM

Reason
07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Allen, Justin B. Name released. His life ended at the age of 23 on the 18th of this month.

Political Terror
07-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Is there any one person or group in the freedom movement that are making any progress on the antiwar front from a liberty perspective.

Is anyone trying to congeal/organize anything?

Reason
07-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Is there any one person or group in the freedom movement that are making any progress on the antiwar front from a liberty perspective.

Is anyone trying to congeal/organize anything?

http://www.ivaw.org/

Brooklyn Red Leg
07-20-2010, 05:57 PM
:mad: Forty-six fellow Americans dead in the last 20 days. At this rate, July will be the bloodiest month ever for the United States forces in Afghanistan.

Reason
07-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Santiago, Anibal. Name released. His life ended at the age of 37 on the 18th of this month.

Bennedsen, Robert N. Name released. His life ended at the age of 25 on the 18th of this month.

Eastman, Christopher L. Name released. His life ended at the age of 28 on the 18th of this month.

Reason
07-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Miller, Paul J. Name released. His life ended at the age of 22 on the 19th of this month.

Piercy, Brian F. Name released. His life ended at the age of 27 on the 19th of this month.

Vargas, Julio. Name released. His life ended at the age of 23 on the 20th of this month.

Collier, Brian. Name released. His life ended at the age of 24 on the 20th of this month.

Reason
07-23-2010, 10:19 AM

Bruno
07-23-2010, 10:40 AM
thank you for keeping this thread updated, Reason!

ClayTrainor
07-23-2010, 10:41 AM
thank you for keeping this thread updated, Reason!

+1

Clairvoyant
07-23-2010, 10:45 AM
It always bothers my when people focus on the "Americans" (aka people who I have never met) who died in Afghanistan, as if they should be more special because of nationalism. At least they signed up for this shit vs. the Afghans (aka more people who I have never met) who had a mechanized war machine show up on their countryside.

When we start mourning the day these guys *sign up* rather than the inevitable day they are sent to the slaughterhouse, progress will have been made.

ClayTrainor
07-23-2010, 10:46 AM
It always bothers my when people focus on the "Americans" (aka people who I have never met) who died in Afghanistan, as if they should be more special because of nationalism. At least they signed up for this shit vs. the Afghans (aka more people who I have never met) who had a mechanized war machine show up on their countryside.

When we start mourning the day these guys *sign up* rather than the inevitable day they are sent to the slaughterhouse, progress will have been made.

You make a good point...

Bruno
07-23-2010, 10:53 AM

I don't mourn their deaths more than those of the innocent civilians who are dying over there due to our actions. I recognize they signed up willingly, and any person signing up in the last 15 years should be prepared to go to whatever war or police action our government sends them to, regardless if they agree with the politics behind it or not.

But I do also find it important to note how many American soldiers are dying monthly Especially when half the country was against this war, and now suddenly is silent when their party is in power and the one behind the surge, the use of drones, and the failure to reduce troop levels and end the conflict.

Clairvoyant
07-23-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't mourn their deaths more than those of the innocent civilians who are dying over there due to our actions. I recognize they signed up willingly, and any person signing up in the last 15 years should be prepared to go to whatever war or police action our government sends them to, regardless if they agree with the politics behind it or not.

But I do also find it important to note how many American soldiers are dying monthly Especially when half the country was against this war, and now suddenly is silent when their party is in power and the one behind the surge, the use of drones, and the failure to reduce troop levels and end the conflict.

Wasn't pointing a finger at you or anyone, just trying to make a point. I agree all loss of life is important. I also agree that exposing American deaths is a good way to wake people up as that is what most people seem to care about.

Bruno
07-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Wasn't pointing a finger at you or anyone, just trying to make a point. I agree all loss of life is important. I also agree that exposing American deaths is a good way to wake people up as that is what most people seem to care about.

Np, I didn't take it that way. :)

Anti Federalist
07-23-2010, 02:39 PM
///

chudrockz
07-24-2010, 06:05 AM
Gotta bump.

Seems five more American soldiers killed in bombings yesterday. :(

When the HELL are we going to exit that shithole?

----

By ROBERT H. REID, Associated Press Writer Robert H. Reid, Associated Press Writer – 32 mins ago
KABUL, Afghanistan – Five American troops died Saturday in bombings in southern Afghanistan where international forces are stepping up the fight against the Taliban, officials said.

Four of the victims died in a single blast, NATO said in a statement without specifying nationalities nor providing further details. A fifth service member was killed in a separate attack in the south, NATO said.

U.S. officials confirmed all five were Americans. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity under rules regarding casualty identification.

The latest deaths bring to 75 the number of international troops killed in Afghanistan this month, including 56 Americans.

The U.S.-led force is ramping up operations against the Taliban in their southern strongholds, hoping to enable the Afghan government to expand its control in the volatile region.

Rising casualty tolls, however, are eroding support for the war even as President Barack Obama has send thousands of reinforcements to try to turn back the Taliban.

On Tuesday, an international conference in Kabul endorsed President Hamid Karzai's plan for Afghan security forces to assume responsibility for protecting the country by the end of 2014. Obama has pledged to begin removing U.S. troops starting in July 2011, although he has linked the drawdown to security conditions on the ground.

In the eastern province of Khost, a candidate in upcoming parliamentary elections died late Friday of wounds suffered when a bomb exploded earlier in the day in a mosque in the Mando Zayi district, according to local health director Dr. Amir Pacha.

The candidate, Maulvi Saydullah, was making a speech inside the mosque when the blast went off. His bodyguards and at least 15 other civilians were also hurt, officials said.

Afghanistan is due to hold national parliamentary elections Sept. 18 despite fears that they could provoke a surge in Taliban attacks.

Also Saturday, the Afghan Interior Ministry reported that five Afghan civilians were killed by a bomb in the Chora district of Uruzgan province. A total of seven militants died in clashes with Afghan and international forces since Friday night in the provinces of Khost, Uruzgan and Kunar, the ministry added without giving further details.

Four suspected insurgents were captured in two raids late Friday on Taliban hide-outs in Baghlan province of northern Afghanistan, NATO said.

Elsewhere, NATO said it was looking into conflicting reports of civilian casualties following a battle between international troops and Taliban fighters in southern Afghanistan.

In Kandahar, a man named Abdul Ghafaar said he brought seven children to the city's Mirwais hospital after getting caught in crossfire Friday between NATO and Taliban forces in Sangin, a flash-point town in neighboring Helmand province.

Another man, Marjan Agha, said that he also brought injured people from Sangin and that the fight started Friday afternoon after civilians were caught between coalition and insurgent fighters. He said villagers began walking with a white flag toward NATO forces but shots rang out and two people were killed on the spot.

The NATO-led command it was aware of reports of civilian casualties in Sangin but said in a statement that it had "no operational reporting that correlates to this alleged incident."

cindy25
07-24-2010, 07:17 AM
they died for nothing

phill4paul
07-24-2010, 07:55 AM
These "perpetual" wars are a great in road to bringing the moderates together. Over the last two weeks I have brought up the wars at social gatherings. No matter whether it was the moderates of the left or the moderates on the right both equally agreed that it was time to end them.
Once you find common ground with an individual then it is easier to present other beliefs to them.
"Middle" America is ready for a change. On both the right and the left. We just need to exploit this base. How? I don't know. But, this subject has been one that has at least allowed me civil discussions with those from either the left or the right.
While I generally want to throttle the shit out of idiots over just about every other issue in this one I have found some common ground.
Keep chipping away folks.

ClayTrainor
07-24-2010, 08:41 AM
they died for nothing

Worse. They died for imperialism.

Reason
07-24-2010, 11:42 PM

Pløger, Jonas Peter. Name released. His life ended at the age of 26 on the 21st of this month.

Monkhouse, Stephen Daniel. Name released. His life ended at the age of 28 on the 21st of this month.

Stenton, Matthew James. Name released. His life ended at the age of 23 on the 21st of this month.

Reason
07-27-2010, 11:03 AM

Reason
07-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Smith, Mark. Age 26 was killed in Afghanistan on the 26th of this month.

Vazquez, Frederik E. Age 20 was killed in Afghanistan on the 24th of this month.

Mora, Conrad A. Age 24 was killed in Afghanistan on the 24th of this month.

Lim, Daniel. Age 23 was killed in Afghanistan on the 24th of this month.

Bauer, Joseph A. Age 27 was killed in Afghanistan on the 24th of this month.

Hand, Andrew. Age 25 was killed in Afghanistan on the 24th of this month.

Reason
08-01-2010, 09:40 PM
//

liberalnurse
08-05-2010, 04:45 AM
Howard, Abram "Abe" L. Lance Cpl. USMC, of Williamsport, PA Died @ age 21 in Afganistan, July 27, 2010